PDA

View Full Version : Who Were You Surprised By?

DisneyFr33k
09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
What ride or attraction were you on (or in) that you were surprised by one of your family members reaction?

Ours was It's Tough to be a Bug in AK. Our DD (who just turned 12) still cannot sit through it. Last year, being 11, she still hides on the floor. :hide2: And this is from a girl who will ride any roller coaster!

When we go back next month, she says she wants to try it again! We'll see!!

disneymom15
09-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Back in 2003, my parents came with us. Mom only does the easy rides (Dumbo, IASW, etc). We're on our way over to BTM, my mom asks, what kind of ride is this? My daughter says, it's a train ride, (before I could tell her that its a wild train ride) she agrees to go on it. Well, needless to say, she almost had a heart attack. It was so funny.

Disney4us2
09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
My DD is a big animal lover. We were at Rafiki's Planet watch/ Conservation Station where the cm is telling all about the animal bones etc. My DD had that CM going for over an hour with questions.

I was supprised at how long she was interested. What a great learning experience.

DNS
09-24-2009, 11:59 AM
TOT - My nephew seemed completely bored. I decided he was probably just trying not to look scared. When I asked him if he liked it, he just said it was okay. I cannot imagine "okay" for that ride. Either hate it or love it. :D

Iluvpooh
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
We found out the hard way that my DD5 is scared of heights after a serious freak out on Soarin'!! We had no idea!

tink'72
09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
We took my Dad (62) a few years ago for his first time and him and my daughter rode Splash Mountain and LOVED it! I totally couldn't believe it!

bruin1344
09-24-2009, 01:05 PM
one of my siblings was scared of the dinosaur ride and alien encounter when she was around 13

Belle_0717
09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I will admit I still have a small anxiety attack as we approach the big drop on Splash Mtn. Don't know why - it just happens. DH seems to always talk me into it. I get to pass on all the fun rides this trip - he'll have to get wet with my sis & her hubby.

EJS-Houston
09-24-2009, 03:43 PM
It wasn't actually a ride, but on my first trip to WDW in 1972, I was 12 and my little brother had just turned 4. The first time we saw characters, the 7 Dwarves from "Snow White," we tried to get him to go over and say "Hi" to them. Nothin' doin'! My otherwise fearless (and I do mean fearless) l'il bro' was having none of it. Wasn't going anywhere near them.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
We never rode Jungle Cruise until our last trip...just never appealed to us...we all were pleasantly surprised, yes its a little hokey and corny but that's part of the appeal....

Lisaj13
09-24-2009, 04:36 PM
When we went to see It's Tough to be a Bug for the first (and only) time. Part way through my 8-year-old daughter was suddenly in tears, and burying her face in my arm.

She's 13 now, maybe next time we'll try it again.

doombuggygal
09-24-2009, 04:45 PM
My DD 9 is also terrified of It's Tough to be a Bug. The part where the spiders drop down is way too much for her. Good to know she not the only one.

beksy
09-24-2009, 06:22 PM
My sister's reaction to BTMRR was a huge (wonderful :cloud9: ) surprise. She was terrified of any roller coaster and refused to go on them until our last trip when she was 21. I had to practically drag her onto the train and thought she would squeeze my arm off as we started off but by the end of the ride she was all smiles. It was her new favorite ride and we went on it over and over! I was so happy since it is one of my favorites. I even got her on E:E and next time she is promising to try ToT. Now I just need to work on her for RNRC. :plot: :coaster:

disneymom2000
09-24-2009, 09:44 PM
I was so surprised by my grown daughter's reaction to Test Track. I knew she didn't like roller coasters so we decided to go on Test Track and before she was even buckled in she had started to silently cry. She didn't want to be scared and I tried to explain the highest part of the ride was the uphill terrain test and then a very small downhill (almost no hill) but I couldn't convince her it was no roller coaster of any sort. I was stunned she was so scared because prior to going to Disney, she and her friend had gone white water rafting in Colorado. I felt really bad that she was so scared. Afterwards she felt better and actually did enjoy the ride.

TheVBs
09-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Our oldest DD has been battling really awful anxiety attacks since a long term illness. We've had to be careful what kind of rides she got on during a Disney trip. Before our last trip in May she saw Splash Mtn. on the dvd and decided she wanted to try it. I was really skeptical, but I told her she could go on anything she liked. When we got there and stood on the bridge to watch the logs come down the hill, she said "I'm not getting on that!" We said, that's fine, you don't have to ride anything you don't want to. Well, late one night on another day in MK, she just decided to go for it - and loved it! I was so worried she'd be a wreck afterwards, but when they got to the top of the drop she asked DH "Can I put my hand's up in the air?" That's one of my favorite pictures from that trip! She rode that twice, did BTMRR, Kali River Rapids and Soarin'! She wants to do Dinosaur and Space Mtn. on our next trip! :mickey:

bkfree
09-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Dinasoar ride was the first ride to ever really scare me, but ironically our two kids, ages 6 and 8 at the time, barely blinked an eye at it.

This past trip we rode TOT for the first time, and it completely freaked me out. I will ride everything, but this one I was not prepared for.
Now I have to make myself ride it next trip but I am really not looking forward to it at all.

MNDisney Dad
09-25-2009, 02:31 PM
My DS is deathly afraid of the bee stings at ITTBAB. He really thinks he is getting stung.

Xtremechik2
09-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I tagged along with my friend and her family on their vacation to Disney a few years ago. Well, we went to ITTBAB, keep in mind that my friend was 18 yrs old at the time, well she terrifed of spiders and totally flipped out when they came down from the ceiling.

And when I say flipped out, I mean she flipped lol. She went to duck her head down and knocked her glasses off her face and pretty much slapped me in the face during her freak out lol.

It gave us a good laugh afterwards though.

chuckd3
09-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I hate to admit this! The 1st time I went to WDW there was only the MK. I was about 25 and the 1st ride we went on was Jungle Cruise. Please keep in mind that we had several Disney fanatic friends preparing us for our trip. They all kept telling us how unbelievable and real the rides and effects would be. So when the CM driver of the JC boat told us the Cruise would take about 6 hours, I believed it. I was so suprised when we came around a bend after 8 to 10 minutes and I saw the unloading platform.

Lakin
09-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I hate to admit this! The 1st time I went to WDW there was only the MK. I was about 25 and the 1st ride we went on was Jungle Cruise. Please keep in mind that we had several Disney fanatic friends preparing us for our trip. They all kept telling us how unbelievable and real the rides and effects would be. So when the CM driver of the JC boat told us the Cruise would take about 6 hours, I believed it. I was so suprised when we came around a bend after 8 to 10 minutes and I saw the unloading platform.

:haha::rotfl:

Ltmoko
09-27-2009, 10:00 AM
We took our daughter on Peter Pans Flight...Her uncle was in the vehicle behind us..He was 30 yrs old, 6'4"...Big boy...We looked back at him, he had a white knuckled grip on bar and eyes closed.That maxed him out....Very Funny....We dont let him forget it either!!!! :laughing:

IamBelle
09-27-2009, 10:49 AM
My sister, 11, decided to be brave this year and try thrill rides like Everest, Big Thunder, and TOT, but absolutely refuses to ride Haunted Mansion. It makes no sense to me, I think TOT is scarier, I don't even go on TOT! It surprised me when she came off the ride, I thought she would go out the chicken elevator, but she didn't!!

Also my uncle, who loves all of the thrill rides, is afraid of Sorin'. My aunt said he went on all the crazy rides, but on Soarin', he was gripping the bars tight and closing his eyes. I did not expect that one either!!

Belle619
09-28-2009, 08:11 AM
When my sister first rode Dinosaur, she was 36 years old, so I figured we'd be fine on that ride. Little did I know that she would be absolutely terrified of the dinosaurs! We had to buy the picture because she was literally hiding her face in my lap! The funny thing is that we've ridden it every year after and she still has the same terrified expression...so I have no choice but to keep buying the picture!

BigBaloo
09-28-2009, 10:58 AM
My sons were 8 & 5 & went on Dinosaur w/ me. 8 year old who doesn't get scared often was TERRIFIED while the 5 year old was sitting there & naming what type of dinosaur he was seeing....

tigmickey
09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
My DD 4 years old beggeg to go on ToT. She was just barely the height and I had other parents looking at me like it was child endangerment. She loved it!! Then BEGGED to go on it again....

MushuGrl
09-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I really wished one of my best friends or my sister posted here to tell you the story of my 16 year old niece on the Maelstrom ride in Norway. Apparently their experience involved climbing, a few scratches, and her screaming "WE'RE GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIE!" She, uh, apparently has a fear of trolls. :blush:

As a matter of fact, our last trip we had to ride it again, because my sister remembered NONE of the ride, just my niece freakin' out. :D

*editted to say I wasn't there-my mom and I were cruising the River of Time in Mexico while that chaos was going on*