PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day weekend at parks

Suz36
09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm hearing the parks will be very busy Columbus Day weekend, which I guess I should have expected. Can someone explain the capacity situation to me? Do resort guests have priority? Does having an ADR do anything for you? Do you think DHS and AK would be better choices for the weekend and Mon? Will things calm down by Monday night and the rest of the week? Any advice would be appreciated!

momofdisneyprincess
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, it will be very crowded. Especially during the weekend at Epcot for the Food & Wine Festival. We went that week last year and decided to go the week before this year to miss some of the crowds. An ADR won't really do anything for you as far as the crowds go. This is simply an Advanced dining reservation at a table service meal. I'm not sure what you are asking when you ask if resort guest have priority? I have never known the parks to be closed to capacity during that weekend. You will still have a great time. Just be prepared to wait for the more popular rides and use fast pass to your advantage.

Giggy
09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I think I heard on here the parks have 4 phases of capacity, when it reaches a higher stage less people are able to get in.

I can't remember for certain but I think at phase 1 capacity the parks are not accessible to regular offsite guests, only resort guests, annual pass holders and VIPs. Phase 2 I think the gates are closed for resort guests as well so that only annual pass holders and VIPs can get in. At phase 3 capacity only VIPs are able to enter the park while phase 4 means the park iscompletely full. Walt himself could arrive at the gates at phase 4 and though I'm sure they would ask plent of questions as to how he's been alive all these years they couldn't let him in the park!

That may not be entirely accurate as to who can still get in at which phases but the general point is types of guest that can get in becomes more limited as the park fills up. Resort guests don't get priority entry ahead of others per se, however they are able to get in for slightly longer. I believe they are garunteed entry to a park each day of their stay, however it may not be their 1st choice.

I don't think having an ADR will get you into a park, if you need to be in a park for an ADR and the park is at capacity you simply won't be able to get in to the park for the ADR.

I'm not sure what phase of capacity (if any) the parks reach on Columbus Day. In fact, being British I don't even know what/when Columbus Day is! :D

Polynesian Dweller
09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
That is also Canadian Thanksgiving and many of us head down that week too. It's busy but not reaching capacity busy. Never had any problem with capacity issues over the nearly dozen times we've gone that week. After about Monday noon it quiets down. Long story short, nothing to worry about.

Mickey91
09-23-2009, 05:26 PM
We never had any problem getting into the parks but they are very crowded for anyone used to value season.