PDA

View Full Version : Lost children

Giselle
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
I was reading the "rain stories" thread and came across the lost child story and I started wondering why doesn't DW have a system for this situation that is fairly common. At Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana, they give children a bracelet and you write your cell phone number on it, in case they are lost. Even at Chuck E Cheese's they give you a stamp to match the parent up with the kids. You would think they would at least offer the bracelets for sale at DW to make some money. I'm thinking of just writing my cell number on my DD's hand with a Sharpie for the next visit. Other than keeping an eye on her and giving her a plan, any other suggestions?

raider97
09-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Check out www.safetytats.com. They are temporary tattoos that you can have printed with your cell phone number on them. I found about them recently and LOVE them!!

Stephanie

ginger19
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I bought wristbands for my kids this year. It's a wristband that holds a piece of paper inside with our info on it such as our names and cell phone numbers. I also take the kids to a cast member when we first arrive and go over with them what to do if they get separated from us.

GreenBeetle
09-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Check out www.safetytats.com. They are temporary tattoos that you can have printed with your cell phone number on them. I found about them recently and LOVE them!!

Stephanie

What a fabulous invention!! :cheer: My children are older now and have cell phones, so I've been out of the "kid safety" loop for a bit, but I wish these had been around when they were little!

Aurora
09-22-2009, 03:08 PM
We bought one of those souvenir ID tags that you can have engraved, and put on "parents' cell phone ------."

Of course when he walked away from us one day he wasn't wearing the dang ID tag!! :rolleyes:

rubato
09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
I went to Hobby Lobby and bought enough stuff to make my son a necklace with my cell #. We never needed to use it, but it was so nice not to worry about it. And, we never let him take it off. He showered in it even. That way, we knew it would be on no matter what.

joonyer
09-22-2009, 03:18 PM
On our first trip to WDW, when our kids were 6 & 9, we made sure they knew how to ID a cast member on our first visit to the park. They knew our cell phone # by memory, so they knew they if they got separated from us all they had to do was find a cast member and then we could be located. That only happened one time and we were actually less than 50 feet away from the boys when they called us (in a busy gift shop). The CM's are very good about dealing with lost kids (or adults) and if you (the parent) contact another CM, they can quickly find out if your kids are with another CM.

But I think a wristband system or ID tag would be a great idea while you are in the parks; many kids are too young to have a cell phone # memorized.

Imagineer1981
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Disney is actually extremely good at lost children situations. Any lost child how is brought to a CM or a CM finds is instantly taken care of. A CM will stay with that child no matter what until Disney Security takes over. There were plenty of times I had to walk a child from tomorrowland to Mainstreet (one of the only times a CM in MK can go into other lands on stage in costume)

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
We've always taught DD (now 11) to "hug something that doesn't move" - the urban variation of "hug a tree". The basis is that as soon as she realizes she has become separated from us, she needs to stop moving and we will backtrack and find her.

It has worked well a couple of times (both at Disney and not at Disney) where crowds have pushed us in different directions.

We have a bit of a challenge, being from Canada, we don't use our cell phones at Disney, since the roaming charges would be too crazy.

barbiegirl314
09-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Stephanie

Just checked out this site and loved it! I've added it to my favorites and will definitely be ordering some for our next trip.

DisneyFr33k
09-23-2009, 12:08 PM
We've always taught DD (now 11) to "hug something that doesn't move" - the urban variation of "hug a tree". The basis is that as soon as she realizes she has become separated from us, she needs to stop moving and we will backtrack and find her.

Our DS (10) is a scout and he was told the same thing. Last trip we were at DHS and were going through the building where you draw Disney characters. Apparently our son didn't see us go in and was still outside the gift store. By the time we frantically backtracked, we found him standing still next to a tree in front of the gift store. Had he gone looking for us, we would have missed each other. So the "hug a tree" really works! :thumbsup:

wire0monkey
09-23-2009, 12:31 PM
We have metal dogs with the kids' names and a cell phone number on them. The kids can wear them on a lanyard or pinned to their shirt.

You can also just write a cell phone number on their arm with a Sharpie.

Disney actually has a system for lost children, they just don't advertise it.

We got to use it at Typhoon Lagoon on the last trip.

DS1 wandered off in the park. After about 20 minutes of looking, I grabbed a cast member and they took me to the CM in charge of lost children. She wrote our information down in a book and advised all managers and lifeguards that he was lost. She told me that all of the managers would do a sweep for him in their designated areas and the lifeguards would look in all of their areas, too. The notice included telling CMs at the exit that we had a lost kid and giving them his description. She told me that when they found him, they would bring him to the lost children area and keep him there. She told me to go look for him and check back in around 20 minutes.

I found him about 15 minutes later. (Then I marched him over to Lost Children to tell the CM we had him. I also had him apologize to the CM for making her do extra work because he wandered off.)

jillluvsdisney
09-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Disney is good at finding lost parents also. My Dad and I lost each other at Typhoon Lagoon. I had the locker key with room keys, cars keys, money and his glasses. After looking for 20 minutes, I went to the front of the park. I stopped the first security person I knew and she asked me if I was Jill. They were looking for me. :))

Disney Doll
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
We do the engraved dog tag. We lace it up in our son's shoe laces (can't fall off unless entire shoe lace is removed).

Emme&TeddysMommy
09-23-2009, 01:45 PM

It has worked well a couple of times (both at Disney and not at Disney) where crowds have pushed us in different directions.

We have a bit of a challenge, being from Canada, we don't use our cell phones at Disney, since the roaming charges would be too crazy.

love the hug idea, my toddlers could even do this:)

MizMissy
09-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Several years ago on our family trip to Disney, I ordered plastic wristbands (those LiveStrong type wristbands) with DH's cell phone number on them. They come in all kinds of colors and the kids liked wearing them. I don't know if I can put the web site on the board, but send me a PM if you are interested.

jmj18
09-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I too use the tattoo method. They are wonderful. I wish I knew about them before last year.

When my son was 2...he wondered off in Epcot. It was very dark since the lights used were only the holiday lights at the time. Disney has a wonderful procedure for "lost parents" as they called us. After about 15 minutes, my son was found (by a family member) but I can't say enough for the CMs and security! Not an experience I want to go thru again...

jmj18
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
The lost part I mean.....LOL

momof3boysinTN
09-23-2009, 08:56 PM
We have never lost one another at Disney!!! But the safety tats are a GREAT idea for the younger kiddos!!!:mickey:

baldburke
09-24-2009, 09:23 AM
My wife said she saw a group of kids that had the luggage tags Disney sends attached to one of their belt loops. It might be a little bulky, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

seanyred
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I too use the tattoo method. They are wonderful.

I saw these tattoos how long do they last? Do they wash off easy? I'm thinking they are a good idea but I want to be sure they will last.

blondeinbrandon
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I never lost a child at WDW (yet) but once I experienced how CMs work. My son at 2 matched the description of a missing toddler and we were asked to wait with the CM. They were very apologetic but asked if I wouldn't mind waiting with them. I didn't mind at all. I would want them looking this hard for my child. The small boy was found pretty quickly and I was surprised to see he looked a lot like my son down to the same red mickey shirt and little jean shorts!:mickey:

Kenny1113
09-24-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree WDW has a GREAT system for lost kids. In April we lost DS5 at AK. We were in a big group, I was contantly scanning to make sure we had every one at all times, especially because the parks were sooo busy at that time. On our second day, we stopped to look a map and DS5 kept walking. I went crazy, DH ran circling AK many times. Turns out a CM had found him and taken him to lost children while we were in contact with another CM, who specializes in finding lost children. She did a great job of tring to keep me calm(difficult task). It was the ongest 30 min of my life!

Something that I usually did with my kids (of course not this trip, darn murphy's law), was to give them their room key (no charging) in hopes that a CM could scan and get our info. I don't know if it actually works this way as I had nver had to use it.

princessat37
09-25-2009, 11:26 AM
i went to a teacher supply store and bought paper wristbands. i'll write my cell # on them w/ a sharpie.

MNDisney Dad
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
We lost our DS at DL this spring. I now take a picture of my kids on my cell phone each day we enter a park. If they do get lost, we have a perfect description of what they look like.

missymouseworld
09-26-2009, 07:27 AM
A very friendly and helpful Disney bus driver once told us to write our phone number on the childs shoes. If they are wearing sneakers, on the rubber part on the sides.

raider97
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I saw these tattoos how long do they last? Do they wash off easy? I'm thinking they are a good idea but I want to be sure they will last.

They work really well. If they are on a spot that doesn't have sunscreen or bug spray they can last for days even through baths. I plan to bring some baby oil and reapply a new one when we are in disney, but we use them when we go to Sea World and they hold up really well. I would say depending on the location they can last several days to a week. I LOVE them!!

Stephanie