PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite ways to begin/wrap up a WDW vacation?

darthmacho
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
This is a multi-part question:

1. What is your favorite way to kick off a WDW vacation? Is there a park you like to start with? Which ride/attraction do you go to first?

For instance, I like to explore my home resort on the first (travel) day, but I feel that there is no better way to spend my first full day in WDW by visiting the Magic Kingdom and riding Space Mountain first.

2. What is your favorite way to wrap up a WDW vacation? Is ther a park you like to save for last? What ride/attraction is best to put a final stamp on your vacation?

In my opinion, finishing in the Magic Kingdom would also be ideal. My favorite way to wrap up a vacation would be to watch a nighttime parade, hit some rides like Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and the Liberty Boat while the parade is on its return route, and then stay for the fireworks before returning to the home resort for one last night before departure. I could finish off my vacation this way everytime, and check out the next day, satisfied.

What's your way? Can't wait to hear about it! :mickey:

pokci
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
MK to start and EPCOT to finish. Having said that, every time I go I can't wait to check in, unpack and then head straight to EPCOT and get on Spaceship Earth! Then a great meal in World Showcase and the first night it's always Illuminations! The last actual night at WDW it's the same routine as above. The last morning at WDW tends to be at MK. Epcot is harder for me to leave. :(

About 70 days to go!:cloud9: This year I'm staying at the Beach Club so the first thing I will do is check in, unpack then head over to pick up my AP and walk over to Coral Reef for a late lunch/early dinner. CP later that night then the fireworks! A week later my last morning I will have a few hours. I'm guessing those will end up being spent at EPCOT - can't help myself! ;)

Imagineer1981
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Nice question:

1) We start the way we finish, with MK. First ride is always POTC and spend the whole day there.

2) To finish the vacation is Magic Kingdom again, watch Spectro and Wishes, maybe hit up POTC or something else again, and then perhaps once last loop around the park, stopping at Columbia Harbor House for a last quick bite and then finally down mainstreet, trying to look back at the castle as much as possible to keep it fresh in my head for next trip

Disney4us2
09-21-2009, 06:33 PM
We start the trip by arriving at 6:30AM, Check in and then go to Epcot, have lunch at LeCellier. See a few attractions: Test Track, Spaceship Earth Etc. Go back to the room, un-pack, take a nap and then back to one of the parks for dinner (usually MK).

We end the trip with MK for the day before ME picks us up at 4:00pm. That gives us most of the day to play.:mickey:

Giggy
09-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Our first day at the parks is spent at Magic Kingdom. Traditionally we've taken the WDW Railroad to Mickey's Toontown Fair first and from there moved onto Tomorrowland. I'm not sure if starting at Toontown this is an absolute rule for us as I can't remember for definite if we did this on our second trip. Also don't know the backup plan for if Toontown is redeveloped before we go back.

Our last day has varied, on our first visit I don't think we actually went to a park and we went to a beach instead. I remember it being a lakeside beach and i think it was near River Country. Again I can't remember how we finished our 2nd trip, possibly EPCOT? On our most recent trip (2004) we were at Magic Kingdom again. We went on some of our favourites again and I remember having a hotdog for lunch on Main Street. The last thing we did before leaving for the airport was Stitch's Great Escape. It had not officially opened but they were testing it, predominantly with cast members. A nearby cast member heard we had to go soon and kindly decided we could go in as well before we went. This was an enjoyable way to spend our last few hours but I remember nearly having to be dragged away as i didn't want to leave. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
We begin our trip at Ohana's, for our first dinner. MK is always our first park, and pirates is our first ride. We do all of these things on our first day, no matter what time we check in.
We end our trip at MK, it is always our last park, and pirates is our last ride.

Joannelet
09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
We always start out at Animal Kingdom. Its been a tradition since the park opened. :)
Kilamanjaro Safari is always the first thing we go on.

We always end our trip at Magic Kingdom. I leave my heart on Main Street everytime we leave and pick it back up on my return trip :)
I take a million looks at the castle and wave goodbye when I go under the train to exit the park :(
I hate the last day...I always have tears in my eyes when leaving the park for the last time.

barbiegirl314
09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
On our first day (which is our travel day) we usually take time to explore our resort, hang by the pool and have a quick bite to eat. We're usually in bed early as everyone is tired from being up early to get to the airport and we're usually all to excited to sleep the night before. I would hate to start the vacation off with a melt down at one of the parks because someone was on sensory overload.:fit:

Our first, full, official vacation day starts off with an early character breakfast at the MK and then it's off to IASW. We then know that our vacation has begun.

We like to end our trip at Epcot sampling foods and drinks from the different countries and just soaking up the atmosphere.

Then as we drive away the tears begin...:sad:
but my kids always reassure me that we'll be back soon.

KH
09-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Our starts vary, but we always end at EPCOT with our last viewing of IllumiNations. My DD (14) used to cry when it was over and I would comfort her and carry her on a slow, slow walk out of the park. Now I get a tear in my eye remembering those days and she comforts me on our slow walk out.

The sadness goes away quickly when we start planning our next trip!

Donald
09-21-2009, 08:04 PM
This is sad to say, but we don't have a pattern of favorite things to do on the first and last days. We do begin with MK, but we seem to wing it from there.

I just love to walk around and take everything in - I would hate to miss anything!:)

mamasun
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
First Night Fireworks...Last Night Fireworks and a few tears...:minnie:

CaptainSad
09-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I like starting off at the MK with the Haunted Mansion and ended my vacation with one more ride on the Haunted Mansion. Nothing beats the time during my vacation Xmas 2007. During the last night their I was at MVMCP. I got to ride HM 5 straight times before closing. 3 of those times I was the only one in the stretching room. The Cast Member was there and she showed me things that you really don't see when the room is full. I don't want to spoil anything...

Suz36
09-21-2009, 10:43 PM
We start and end at the Magic Kingdom. I always book the earliest flight in, and the latest one out, so we have the better part of those days to play! We usually start with PoC, and definitely Wishes that evening. The last day we try to hit our favorite ride in each land, and then the sad goodbye glances at "my" castle. I hate that last day though! No one is allowed to mention it throughout the trip - total denial!

brad192
09-21-2009, 11:25 PM
My first trip was Xmas day '71. Our family hit MK, and rode IASW. It's been tradition to do MK the first full day, and ride IASW first. Tradition is big with me, and when I do this I honor the memories of my parents, and the sacrifices they made to get us to WDW.

Ending a vacation? Again, gotta be MK. I usually scope out all the purchases I want there during the week, and then buy them on the last day. I always close the park, and spend a significant amount of time in Town Square & the train station just gazing down Main Street, watching the crowds and enjoying that wonderful view of the Castle. Once I finally decide to leave, I say a "Thank You" to Walt, turn, and walk out all teary-eyed, not looking back. I want that last, wonderful look to remain in my mind.

Yep, I'm a total sap...

teambricker04
09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Our days at the park vary... we try to go based on crowd levels. Our very first day we hang out at the hotel and try to get to bed early. The next day, which ever park we are going to, we are up and at 'em straight away.

Leaving... our last park is which ever... usually MK or EPCOT. The next morning we are up early and to the airport first thing because we probably flew standby.

Now, I really want to plan a trip.

Captain_Nemo
09-22-2009, 12:15 AM
for me it is always SSE in Epcot. I always start there and then MK later on that day. then I end the night in WS eating somewhere and watching Illuminations. then all day MK next day. I always end in MK taking my sweet time walking down Main Street once more.:mickey:

coneygoil
09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
It's usually late afternoon when my family arrives, so after checking-in we usually go to DTD to eat and shop. But for the first day at a park it is always MK! Characters are usally out, so I get in line for all of them. But if the characters aren't out, we tend to venture into Adventureland and go from there.

Our last day is usually at MK as well. We try to ride BTMRR one last time then head to the front and catch the foreworks or parade as we tread. It's sad to walk through the turnstyles, looking back one more time at the castle :(

wdwfansince75
09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
We like to arrive at the World in the early afternoon....On several trips, we have found a low cost motel close to the World, and spent the night there (Ocala or Claremont...), then got to the resort about noon....Check in, and head for the MK....usually, to PoTC....
Younger members of the family like to start out early morning...driving straight through takes about 9 hrs....DW hates to get up that early, so the last several trips, DW and I leave the day before the rest of the tribe, and check in at SoG for the first night....Have a nice relaxing dinner at Kona Cafe, ride the monorail over to the CR, shop on the concourse, and head back to SoG....When the rest arrive (their first day, our second), we have their rooms and tickets waiting....we now enjoy dinner at Chef Mickey's, and head for MK for the evening, usually, to PoTC, for everyone's first ride....
Our last evening is always MK....sometime during the evening, we do CoP and TTA together as a family....If it is an EMH evening at MK, some of us resolve to stay to closing, while the others return to the resort, by way of the Emporium, to pack, and rest up for the drive the next day.

wire0monkey
09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
We fly early on the way out. We like to have an ADR for something at Epcot and watch Illuminations the first night. We have a time change, so it's not too late for the kids on the first night. Epcot is also less crowded than the other parks and is a good way to ease into the parks.

We fly in late afternoon on the way back. I like to pack up our stuff in a rental car and hit a water park after check-out. We take clean clothes and shampoo and shower before we get on the plane. We've found that it's a really fun, relaxing day for us and we're clean when we get on the plane.

TinksGoofyMom
09-22-2009, 10:50 AM
1)Since our flights always seem to get delayed,
we usually don't arrive until late in the evening.
We do room service or the resort food court and explore the area. Next month we're supposed to land @145pm. Hopefully we can get to MK for a few hrs.
2)Our last 2 trips have been EMH at MK. It's great to hit as much as possible @ midnite when the park is all but deserted. Unfortunately, our last nite is Halloween and we're going to an earlier MNSSHP. We're going to end w/ Hoop DeeDoo Revue.

dizne4me
09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Our first day, travel day, since we arrive early afternoon, we like to unpack - check out the resort - and then off to Downtown Disney -wander around and get something to eat and then head back to the resort and try to get to bed early for an early morning call for Magic Kingdom. The very last thing I like to do before we leave is walk down Main St., do some shopping and get something good to eat at the bakery to take back home with me.

HauntedMansionManiac
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
We vary when we start, but the last day is always in MK. The last ride is COP and we all sing the song on the way home

Giselle
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
We always begin and end with MK! Also, we are usually starving after all the traveling and have to get something to eat. I'm always saying, this time when we go, we should take it easy, look around the resort, settle in, etc. and then I get there and I can't wait to get to MK! Also I try to stay at the MK until the last possible moment. My DD has a tradition of getting milk and cookies from the resort store for the ME ride to the airport.

bruin1344
09-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Start-
Usually arrive at WDW late AM/early afternoon and head to Epcot, get a fast pass at soarin, and go on spaceship earth

Another alternative for us is going to MK, heading to straight to frontierland for fastpass on either Splash or Thunder Mountain and then go to Pirates

Finish-
Finish the trip at MK watching Wishes, if we have an afternoon flight the next day, we go to Epcot for an early lunch

SandmanGStefani24
09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
i don't have a typical way of starting my trip, since i usually wing it and go with the flow. but the past two trips, I have gone to MK and gotten a fastpass for space mountain and then ridden TTA first to take it all in before starting to ride all the rides.

I always, always end at Epcot. It is my favorite park, and I spend the whole day there and walk until I can't go anymore! :D I like to end with Spaceship Earth but any Epcot ride is great at the end of the day. I then go back to the resort bar and have a drink.

jnfr2424
09-22-2009, 03:43 PM
We usually begin at HS and end at MK with tear-filled eyes looking at Main St. and the Castle. Then we take the monorail purposely so we can hear the "Thank you for visiting and Have a Safe Journey Home" speech!

AdventurerKim
09-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Our first day is a travel day and never get to the hotel until that night. The first park day is either Epcot or MGM/DHS. Just walking in is enough to begin the trip! A great end to a trip is dinner at a restaurant in Epcot and walking around til we're tired. :mickey:

Kathy Jetson
09-23-2009, 01:24 AM
We arrive around 10:30-11:00am. Check in. Go to gift shop for refillable mug and look at all the goodies. Then we go ride the monorail. This year we will try the paddle boats at CBR also. Then back to resort to unpack and a swim. Night time is DTD shopping and T-rex for the 1st time. (2) The last day is a quick swim in the pool then to AK where they have to throw us out because we refuse to go home.

debandbub
09-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Brad192, you made me tear up before work- thanks a lot!
For a long time, MK had to be first park after checking in. Then one year we were trying to be more spontaneous and decided just to get on whichever bus came first. (I think it was AK the first time we did that). Another year, our first year in a deluxe, we went to the pool bar at CR, had a cold beer in the warm sun and actually decompressed for a while- got into vacation mode, so to speak. (These are big changes for a controlling Type A personality!) Don't get me wrong- I still do the mega-planning (that's half the fun while counting down), but I am really working on taking a step back, and I have to say I am much happier for it.

Going home- I don't like to think about it! Usually last park is Epcot, and I am crying through Illuminations, and trying to remind myself of how blessed we were to be able to go, and that we'll be back!!!

MushuGrl
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
We always begin and end our visit in the same place - MK!

(except for last time when we started at DHS because of EMH).

Seems like we always start at MK, then do the other parks, usually back at MK by day's end, and our last day before catching our flight, we get in that last Buzz/POTC/HM/Philharmagic visit before leaving.

SignguyTom
09-23-2009, 12:16 PM
As DVC owners at BWV, we tend to begin our first evening with dinner somewhere in World Showcase. In Dec it will be at the Biergarten. Last time it was Le Cellier.

As for departure, we leave in the late afternoon and always plan that final morning open in case we missed out on or wanted to revisit something. It is mostly a catch-up day.

Our last full day is generally spent at MK. In Dec, it happens to fall on my B-Day. I will have my B-Day fastpass and dinner at 'Ohana. Maybe back to MK after - just gonna play it by ear....:thumbsup:

grumpyguy
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
always mk is the first park and pp is the first attraction.we always spend our last full day in mk and wrap up with wishes.after leaving we always turn around and soak up one last tearful view of the train station.my wife says "don't worry honey..we'll be back soon...."

artyboy
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
First day is always a non-park day for us...unpack, unwind and explore the resort...and throw in a couple of :marg: by the pool. Then a special dinner at one of the resorts.

Last day is always greatest hits...we make a list of our favorite rides and stuff to do, and head into the parks "commando mode."

I leave in 8 days...can't wait!

AvaNellMouse
09-23-2009, 09:34 PM
First park: AK - not sure why but it just feels great. It also tends to be the last park as I can go and hit the good stuff - Everest etc. early and get back for my ride to the airport.

Thank goodness the resorts don't have the twisted banner that the cruise line puts up on departure morning. It is Captain Mickey saluting you with the words "See you REAL SOON" on it. It is almost more than a person can bare after a wonderful trip at sea with the mouse and company. I was in tears last time when we walked off the ship!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
We usually begin by going to Downtown disney the day of arrival since it is usually late afternoon....we wrap up by packing the car, then eating a nice breakfast before spending half day at one of the parks-everyone gets to pick one attraction to visit or ride on last time...then we drive to lake City to spend the night.....before returning home the following day

Bean Bunny
09-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Usually we arrive late afternoon, so we spend that day unpacking and usually head over to Downtown Disney for the evening. On some trips, we are so anxious to hit the parks the next morning that we head over to the Poly to watch Wishes to hold us over, which has also been a great start to a trip. Our first morning is always Magic Kingdom at park opening and hitting the Fantasyland rides first.

We always end our vacation with a lunch at The Plaza in MK before heading back to catch our ME bus. I don't know how it started, but now it's just tradition. It's nice to reminisce about the trip over lunch and then walk outside for a final glance at the castle. It's a wonderful way to say good-bye to Disney until our next trip!

darthmacho
09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
:mickey: I just wanted to pause and thank all of you that have added to this thread and would like to invite others to join in. These have all been such great answers, and I've enjoyed reading them all. Every part of a WDW is memorable, but there is something special about the way we begin and end our trips. I have to say that I'm impressed by the thought that everyone puts into what they do, and enjoy it so much. Keep on posting. :mickey:

beksy
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
We always start and end at MK. On the first day we check out the resort if we arrive late and then spend our first full day at MK, going on IASW first. If we arrive early enough, we go straight to MK and IASW. Our last day is spent the same way, except we end with a ride on POTC or BTMRR depending on fastpass and wait times since we usually only have a few hours before our flight.

EJS-Houston
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
I always like to start with The Magic Kingdom, partly for nostalgia's sake...and partly so that I can fully enjoy the attractions there without their being eclipsed by the newer and more advanced attractions in the other 3 parks.

azcavalier
09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Since we either fly in to Samford and rent a car, or this time we're driving the entire way, we always stop at the Orlando Premium Outlets and shop at the Disney Character Conenction. We've gotten some great stuff there. Princess Dresses for $30, cheap discount pins for trading, etc. Then we head on to our resort and check in. Where we go then depends entirely on our ADRs. Many times it is at Epcot.

Also for leaving, it almost always seems to be Epcot, but it's just a result of most of the good restaurants being there.

We do, however, have traditional rides that we ride first for each park if we get there when it opens.

MK - Peter Pan's Flight. Always. Then the Haunted Mansion.

AK - Always get fast passes for EE, and then head over to Dinoland.

DHS - Always get fast passes for Aerosmith's RR (or now, TSM) and then head to The Great Movie Ride. If it's not open, we'll wander through the shops or down to Star Tours.

Epcot - ALWAYS get fast passes for Soarin' and ride it as well. Then we'll hit the other stuff over there...the Land, Nemo, Turtle Talk. We usually end the day with Spaceship Earth.

Tygger7
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
What a great topic! Our past 2 trips, we've driven straight through (18 hours) and gotten to WDW early afternoon. We got to DTD, then back to the hotel for dinner, usually pizza. Next morning we're up early and heading to MK. Now this part has been the same as long as I've been going to WDW...we head straight to Space Mountain, followed immediately by Buzz Lightyear and the Peoplemover. For our next trip, we're leaving on Sat. afternoon so we'll be pulling into the World around 8am or so. But, we'll head for MK and SM as usual, just as soon as we can get checked in. :mickey:

I'm also one of those people that like to spend my last day at MK. I have to see Wishes one last time, and end up crying all the way down Main St. as we leave.

BIGDOG
09-25-2009, 03:07 PM
That would be the limo ride to the airport and the limo ride home from the airport..The ride to is always much better...

Ransom
09-25-2009, 03:29 PM
We start and finish our trips at MK -- Tomorrowland. TTA and Space Mountain, specifically.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Depending on what time we arrive Sunday and who is with us, we either head to DTD or go to the MK for the parade and fireworks.

Our first full day ALWAYS starts w/ breakfast @ Chef Mickey's and then on to the MK. :mickey:

Our last full day always ends @ MK with one last parade and fireworks.

If time permits, the final morning means a last minute trip to DTD to pick-up all those must have items we didn't pick-up earlier in the week. :blush:

DizRunner
09-25-2009, 09:28 PM
First off...great topic. I've really enjoyed reading all of the responses.

First day is always a travel day. We get to WDW around 3pm. So it's "hit the pool" for a relaxing swim after about a 7 hour drive. (We drive from Indy to Atlanta in one day and then Atlanta to WDW the next.) Unpack, explore the resort and then go enjoy an evening at DTD.

The last day (evening) before we leave the next morning is spent at the MK. Enjoy Wishes, stroll around, enjoy one last ride of the TTA, head over to the HM, ride it and then just stare at it. To me it is just an awesome site at night...and even in the daylight. I'm 44 and I still get uneasy (scared) at the HM, especially at night. But yet I think that's why I love it so.

And like others, head down Main Street and just look at the castle long and hard. Knowing that it'll be at least a couple of years before I see it again in person is really tough. Then something inside of me says we have to turn around and walk away. It's one of the toughest things to do on the trip.

Darbylew
09-25-2009, 11:40 PM
We always get to WDW in the afternoon so we
go to DTD after we get checked in our resort.
We love eating at Wolf Gang Puck's Express.
Our first day is always Epcot. :thumbsup:

ransam
09-27-2009, 02:17 AM
i am very much a traditionalist. I like to start at MK walking down main street....and i end it by taking one quick stroll around MK, and then sitting on a bench by the train station, lookin at the castle, t hinking of the good times the last few weeks, and then also start planning the next trip!

stitchaholic
09-27-2009, 07:26 AM
we get checked in,pick up our keys and high tail it over to MK where we slowly walk down main st and then over to adventure land, the last day,we try and hit all the coasters and thrill rides before leaving.

Mickey'sApprentice
09-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Our starting park varies but we usually end in MK on our last day. We also eat at the Plaza on our last day.