PDA

View Full Version : MVMCP Question

estein80
09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
My DH and are planning a trip for early Dec (for ourselves and our 1 yo DD). We got AP's for the first time this year and would like to go to WDW to see the decorations. I have always wanted to go because I love Disney decorations. DH and I did a backstage tour years ago and got to see the decorations shelved, but would really like to see them in action.

I am giving you this background because my question might sound a little odd. We are Jewish, but I love holiday decorations. Would we like MVMCP? I know that the CP would not be our cup of tea, though I love the concept.

I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!

jnfr2424
09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Coming from someone who's family is interfaith, I think its a great idea to see MVMCP but also take into consideration that the decorations will already be there MVMCP or not, so don't feel that you have to buy a hard ticket to see the decorations. The party is fun: the parade and "snow" on Main St plus the free cookies and cocoa and the dance party. I would also advise to check out the resorts decorations nearby as well as the Osbourne Lights at the HS (make sure you find the Menorah!)

Have a good time and Le Shannah Tovah to you and your family!

Strmchsr
09-21-2009, 01:52 PM
MVMCP really has nothing to do with the Christian celebration of Christmas. It's more of the whole winter holiday focus. I'm saying this from the perspective of a Christian pastor, I'm okay with that. I find nothing in it that would be offensive to anyone of any faith. It's the more traditional Christmas stuff - Christmas trees, lights, etc - but there is nothing in the party that (at least from my experience) would make someone from another faith not enjoy it. The CP, as you pointed out, does tell the Christian Christmas narrative, but they do it in a manner like all the other cultures around Epcot (in other words, just telling the story, not proselytizing). In the American pavilion they also do discussions of Hanukkah and Kwanzaa during the Voices of Liberty show. I enjoy both of those, though I don't celebrate either holiday. I think Disney has done a good of making the various religious and cultural holidays accessible to everyone without being offensive (which is a VERY difficult tightrope to walk).

So, to get back to you question - if you enjoy the lights and holiday atmosphere, you'd enjoy the MVMCP, but as the previous poster said, you can also see decorations without going to the party. What makes the party special is the parade, the special Wishes, and the shows.

SurferStitch
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
As others have mentioned, you don't need to attend MVMCP as all of the decorations are up 24/7.....and they are gorgeous! The castle lighting ceremony happens every night at the MK, and there is a tree lighting ceremony each night at Epcot. Epcot also has the Lights of Winter, which are so pretty. And, there's always the Osborne lights at DHS.

Here's a great list of holiday events at WDW: CLICK HERE (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/holidays/christmas/default.asp)

Also, if you would still like to experience the Christmas fireworks at MVMCP, but decide not to attend the party, you could always view them from the Grand Flo, Poly or Contemporary. Plan a nice dinner at one of the resorts, and stick around for the fireworks.

The Poly beach is wonderful, as is the Cali Grill observation deck, Narcoossee's, or the dock at the Grand Flo boat launch. At the Cali Grill and Narcoossee's, the music is piped in so you can get a great experience.