PDA

View Full Version : Swim Aids for Toddlers

faline
09-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Our next visit to Disney World will include a 2 year old. When visiting the pool area, does Disney World have life vests and/or other swim aids available or do folks bring these items to Disney World with them?

CanadianWDWFan
09-21-2009, 10:55 AM
All the resorts that we visited have life jackets. There usually is a box that has them in it. Just ask the lifeguards if you can't find them.

The resorts that we used that had them are POR/POFQ, POP, ASSp, ASMu, OKW and BWV.

When we drive we usually bring pool noodles down with us and then leave them at the pool when we go home. I was talking to a life guard at OKW about leaving them at the pool. She told me that guest do this all the time.

BigRedDad
09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
They have life vests that you can keep for your entire stay or just get a new one each time you go to the pool.

However, I did not let my daughter get used toa swim aid, that is just me. She either held on to me, swam next to me or stays in extremely shallow water with me there.

We were at Pop when she was 2. She just played in Goofy's fountain or the little kid fountain pool by the main pool.

BrerGnat
09-21-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know if this applies at WDW, but at DisneyLAND resorts, they only allow "Coast Guard Approved" floatation devices. They don't allow water wings or any other floatation vests unless they are USCG approved. Might be a California thing...lots of laws here...

Anyway, all the resorts supply the "right" swim vests, and they are readily available to use. They are also available at the water parks, although there, you have to leave either your Driver's license or a $25 deposit (refundable) that you will get back when you return the vest.

I'd recommend using the vests if your child is not an independent swimmer. Those pools get VERY busy, and older kids do not always watch where they are going. In addition, it will allow your child to have a tiny bit of freedom when going between the big pool and kiddie pool and/or fountains without you having to be on their heels the whole time. When we were at the resort pool with our little ones (3 and 5) at Disneyland recently, they were in and out of the main pool, back and forth to the slides, kiddie pool, hot tub, etc. It's hard to hop out the side of the pool and chase them. They are FAST. ;) Better to know they have a vest on, especially if they have no fear of jumping in a pool. It gets loud around the pools, and your yells of "stop" and "wait" will get drowned out if you happen to lose a grip on your child and he/she runs off...

MNNHFLTX
09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't know if this applies at WDW, but at DisneyLAND resorts, they only allow "Coast Guard Approved" floatation devices. They don't allow water wings or any other floatation vests unless they are USCG approved. Might be a California thing...lots of laws here...At the Disney World resorts they do allow water wings and noodles, as well as flotation swimwear. They do not allow any larger flotation devices that would block the vision of the bottom of the pool for the lifeguards, like air mattresses or inner tubes.

faline
09-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks, everyone! This is a great help!

Urbss
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
At the Disney World resorts they do allow water wings and noodles, as well as flotation swimwear. They do not allow any larger flotation devices that would block the vision of the bottom of the pool for the lifeguards, like air mattresses or inner tubes.

I'm glad I found this thread, I was just about to post one about a similar subject.

I wanted to know if my 4 yr old could use his small floaty ring (like a small intertube that he wears around his chest - up to his armpits - that allows him to kick around in bigger pools).

But, I guess the above means that he will not be allowed to use this, am I right?

Thanks!!

Tom

MNNHFLTX
09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm glad I found this thread, I was just about to post one about a similar subject.

I wanted to know if my 4 yr old could use his small floaty ring (like a small intertube that he wears around his chest - up to his armpits - that allows him to kick around in bigger pools).

But, I guess the above means that he will not be allowed to use this, am I right?

Thanks!!

TomIf it's a small float ring, they might allow it. You can always use one of the resorts floatation vests too, instead of bringing the ring. :)

Urbss
09-28-2009, 04:59 PM
If it's a small float ring, they might allow it. You can always use one of the resorts floatation vests too, instead of bringing the ring. :)

Thanks!!!

KylesMom
09-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I also found this little blurb in my Wilderness Lodge newsletter:

Swimmers' aids are only allowed in shallow water. Life jackets are available for use at no charge at the Teton Boat & Bike Rental with a Resort ID card. I can only imagine this is somewhat standard across the boards at all of the pools. Does anyone have any type of experience that differs with this one?