PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find a monthly fees chart for DVC resorts?

lorieandalex
09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Dh and I have talked about someday going with DVC, he doesn't have an issue with paying that base price, but doesn't like the idea of paying a montly fee. Some people have told us that different resorts are different fees...For instance, one friend is going to pay like $63 a month for Bay Lake, while another pays $121 or so for Old Key West???

Where do I find a chart for how much each DVC is per month in addition to that base fee of $17,500.

thanks

PrincessAriel514
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
sorry but i can t help you at the moment sorry...... Welcome to intercot
:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
09-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Dh and I have talked about someday going with DVC, he doesn't have an issue with paying that base price, but doesn't like the idea of paying a montly fee. Some people have told us that different resorts are different fees...For instance, one friend is going to pay like $63 a month for Bay Lake, while another pays $121 or so for Old Key West???

Where do I find a chart for how much each DVC is per month in addition to that base fee of $17,500.

thanks

there are maintenance fees charged per point, annually on all contracts.

the fees are different for every "home" resort you could conceivably get for purchase or resale.

They change from year to year...so its unlikely that you would have to pay the same amount in any two calender years.

But to put it simply...figure on roughly 5 dollars a point (in the near future) for maintenance dues on your contrat...i don't have the contemporary exact number at hand...

so if you puchase say...200 points...and you multiply that by 5...it would be $1000 in fees each year....subject to change

you can pay it in a lump, installments, or monthly...hence the "monthly fee"

the exact numbers are resort specific...available in the documentation provided by DVC, their website, any of the dozens of fan/ unofficial websites, or by calling and asking...and will rise over time like pretty much any and all costs associated with Disney

dlpmikki
09-21-2009, 03:48 AM
The current fees per point for each of the resorts is:

2009 Annual Dues

BLT = $3.67
AKV = $4.86
SSR = $4.34
BCV = $5.00
BWV = $5.21
VWL = $5.04
OKW = $4.73
HHI = $5.36
VB = $6.41

Being new BLT is probably lower than it will end up as. Just multiply how many points you will own by the dues and that will give you the annual amount.

Ian
09-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Being new BLT is probably lower than it will end up as. Just multiply how many points you will own by the dues and that will give you the annual amount.Actually, BLT is lower because it's a tower with very minimal outdoor areas to be maintained.

Also, because it's part of the Contemporary, it's able to share a lot of common functions with its parent resort and help keep costs down.

laprana
09-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Actually, BLT is lower because it's a tower with very minimal outdoor areas to be maintained.

Also, because it's part of the Contemporary, it's able to share a lot of common functions with its parent resort and help keep costs down.

I agree with Ian. Our guide said that BLT had the lowest dues because it has less to maintain than the other DVC resorts. There's no CS or TS restaurants there, no gift shops, and no front desk to staff - all of that is shared with the CR.

Ian
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I agree with Ian. Our guide said that BLT had the lowest dues because it has less to maintain than the other DVC resorts. There's no CS or TS restaurants there, no gift shops, and no front desk to staff - all of that is shared with the CR.Yeah, that's what our guide told us, as well.

And really, if you think about it, the age of the resort obviously doesn't have anything to do with the annual dues. Just looking at the chart tells you that. OKW is the oldest DVC resort, yet it has the third lowest dues behind only BLT and SSR.

Aurora
09-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah, that's what our guide told us, as well.

And really, if you think about it, the age of the resort obviously doesn't have anything to do with the annual dues. Just looking at the chart tells you that. OKW is the oldest DVC resort, yet it has the third lowest dues behind only BLT and SSR.

I wonder why, then, the Beach Club Villas dues are so high. I can understand it for the Boardwalk because both the Inn and the Villas were built at the same time, so there was nothing for the villas to lean on, so to speak.

But the Yacht and Beach Club resorts opened in 1990 and the villas opened in 2000. So ???? :confused:

Ian
09-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Size.

BCV only has 282 units, so the maintenance costs are shared over a significantly smaller ownership group.

That's one of the reasons SSR's costs are lower than some of the others ... it's huge.

Aurora
09-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Size.

BCV only has 282 units, so the maintenance costs are shared over a significantly smaller ownership group.

That's one of the reasons SSR's costs are lower than some of the others ... it's huge.

Ahhhh -- that makes sense. :blush:

lockedoutlogic
09-21-2009, 12:45 PM
You guys do realize that the "maintenance fees" are kinda smoke and mirrors, don't you?

They do go for operational costs....but it is always up to the beaners to determine just exactly what a "maintenance cost" is and therefore subject to change without notice how much of the operational burden of the hotels...especially the combined use ones...will be put on the DVC contracts.

Sure the contemp is low now....it will go up steadily and eventually fall in the same sorta range as all the numbers....bet on it.

Ian
09-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Here, check this out ... I've added in the number of units per resort so you can sort of see how it affects costs ...

2009 Annual Dues

BLT = $3.67 - 281 units
AKV = $4.86 - 458 units
SSR = $4.34 - 1,260 units
BCV = $5.00 - 282 units
BWV = $5.21 - 583 units
VWL = $5.04 - 136 units
OKW = $4.73 - 709 units
HHI = $5.36 - 123 units
VB = $6.41 - 211 units

The one glaring anomaly on there is Boardwalk, which seems like it should have some of the cheapest dues since it has such a large membership. The only thing I can assume is that the waterfront location contributes to higher overall maintenance costs?

Ian
09-21-2009, 12:59 PM
You guys do realize that the "maintenance fees" are kinda smoke and mirrors, don't you?

They do go for operational costs....but it is always up to the beaners to determine just exactly what a "maintenance cost" is and therefore subject to change without notice how much of the operational burden of the hotels...especially the combined use ones...will be put on the DVC contracts.I doubt this is the case. Florida timeshares are highly regulated and almost definitely subject to external audits. I can't see them playing fast and loose with how they classify what is and isn't a maintenance expense.

Sure the contemp is low now....it will go up steadily and eventually fall in the same sorta range as all the numbers....bet on it.Again, very doubtful. AKV and BLT are, for all intents and purposes, the same age yet BLT's dues are more than a dollar per-point cheaper. That, as much as anything else, should tell you that they're legitimately going to be lower than the other resorts.

I mean look ... OKW is the oldest DVC resort, so based on your theory it should have close to the highest cost-per-point in fees. But it doesn't.

Which pretty much invalidates the entire theory of "they all increase at about the same rate and will all eventually be about the same."

There are numerous factors that go in to determining the maintenance costs at a resort and they are highly regulated.

dlpmikki
09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
In the past DVC has done some kind of subsidy (wrong word but that is the end result) on maintenance fees for new resorts that gradually disappears. It is great if that is not the case for BLT. It may be that the point per night usage is so high they can get more members per room than other places like BCV which has a similar number of rooms and keep costs down that way.

lockedoutlogic
09-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I doubt this is the case. Florida timeshares are highly regulated and almost definitely subject to external audits. I can't see them playing fast and loose with how they classify what is and isn't a maintenance expense.

Again, very doubtful. AKV and BLT are, for all intents and purposes, the same age yet BLT's dues are more than a dollar per-point cheaper. That, as much as anything else, should tell you that they're legitimately going to be lower than the other resorts.

I mean look ... OKW is the oldest DVC resort, so based on your theory it should have close to the highest cost-per-point in fees. But it doesn't.

Which pretty much invalidates the entire theory of "they all increase at about the same rate and will all eventually be about the same."

There are numerous factors that go in to determining the maintenance costs at a resort and they are highly regulated.

Old key west and saratoga have the least amount of services present at a DVC resort (at least...inside the juggernaut of WDW)...so do you think that might have something to do with it?

Also, I'm not suggesting "funny business" with the dues....just merely pointing out that they have shown remarkable ability to use their legal department to codify a certain flexibility in their own contracts....again, not exactly a conspiracy...nor a theory....just something they've done in florida since Roy Disney said they would need "special considerations" in a presentation to lawmakers before any dirt was moved in 1965....

I just think that they have some flexibility...more than we will ever know...for determining the definition of "maintenance"...it wouldn't be that surprising now, would it?

Plus there alot of variables that go into that...just on the surface...

Is staffing, maintenance? to disney...probably.
What happens when a renovation is made to the non-DVC areas of a resort....but contained within the same "business unit"? is that maintenance? etc. etc. etc.

And you kinda defeated one of your own arguments with the "it's huge" argument for saratoga...

because it's huge...even though it has more members and more dues...wouldn't landscaping alone cost alot more than a tiny tiny spot like beach club or Wilderness lodge? Wouldn't housekeeping expenses, supplies, pool tablets, vo-ban cost more as well?

I just wonder myself where the dues go. It seems the general consensus is for landscaping, new sheets, and the occasional new rug...

I just think there's probably a little more to it.

just some quick math based on my own contract tells me the maintenance fees on Saratoga should be in the 20-25 million dollar annually....

that's alot of gas for the lawnmowers

lockedoutlogic
09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
In the past DVC has done some kind of subsidy (wrong word but that is the end result) on maintenance fees for new resorts that gradually disappears. It is great if that is not the case for BLT. It may be that the point per night usage is so high they can get more members per room than other places like BCV which has a similar number of rooms and keep costs down that way.

good points:mickey:

VWL Mom
09-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Does FL have builders taxes? In NJ you pay one tax during the building period and those are raised the tax year after the CO is issued. Could this be part of the lower dues at BLT?

lockedoutlogic
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Does FL have builders taxes? In NJ you pay one tax during the building period and those are raised the tax year after the CO is issued. Could this be part of the lower dues at BLT?

NJ...especially "North"....is a completely different, bloodthirsty animal....

but as others have pointed out....florida has rules about timeshares specifically... you can see it in how DVC "sells" it's new locations...there are rules about selling and opening they have to follow...and undoubtedly about operations and taxation

Ian
09-21-2009, 06:16 PM
just some quick math based on my own contract tells me the maintenance fees on Saratoga should be in the 20-25 million dollar annually....That would be an interesting figure to calculate, but as far as I can tell there doesn't appear to be any source that tells you exactly how many points were sold on a given property.

Because then it would be a simple exercise to multiply by the per-point cost and figure it out.

Based on your number, that would mean that Disney sold approximately 5,760,368 points at SSR? That seems like kind of a lot?

Aurora
09-21-2009, 06:34 PM
That would be an interesting figure to calculate, but as far as I can tell there doesn't appear to be any source that tells you exactly how many points were sold on a given property.

Because then it would be a simple exercise to multiply by the per-point cost and figure it out.

Based on your number, that would mean that Disney sold approximately 5,760,368 points at SSR? That seems like kind of a lot?

You could figure out an approximate number of points sold for each resort based on the number of units times the number of points required for each unit per calendar year. But I bet it's published somewhere.

DVC Mike
09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
In the past DVC has done some kind of subsidy (wrong word but that is the end result) on maintenance fees for new resorts that gradually disappears. It is great if that is not the case for BLT.

DVD provides a subsidy so early buyers of a partially sold-out resort won't have to shoulder abnormally high maintenance fees. In other words, if DVD didn't provide the subsidy, the MF's would be artificially high.

As the resort sells out, DVC eliminates the subsidy. The purpose of the subsidy is not to lower maintenance fees below what they would typically be. The idea is that the subsidized cost would be equivalent to the actual cost if the resort was sold out.

The BLT subsidy is only $0.05, so it's not significant.

DVC Mike
09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Actually, BLT is lower because it's a tower with very minimal outdoor areas to be maintained.

True, but another factor is how many points are allocated per room. Since BLT has more points allocated per room than any other WDW DVC resort, the maintenance cost per point is subsequently less.

That is going to be locked in forever.

lockedoutlogic
09-21-2009, 10:29 PM
That would be an interesting figure to calculate, but as far as I can tell there doesn't appear to be any source that tells you exactly how many points were sold on a given property.

Maybe i'm being too literal....

but on this little "contract" thing i signed to buy my lovely horseview studio....it said that i owned a 2.7% interest in unit number ___

But i might have made a potential error in the definition of "unit"...so who knows:confused:

So i did a little reverse engineering and figured out what that would equate to...then multiplied it by a round $4 a point...then multiplied that by a round 850 units (admittedly...i might be way off there...i was just too lazy to look it up at the time:secret:)

so that is where the number comes from...but i could very well be missing something important...as i only spent about 45 seconds of thought on it....

i think the theory is right....because it boils down to per point and that would really change overtime...the number of points remains constant no matter how and where they are actually applied...

so if a resort is "sold out"...then it is possible to figure out what the dues coming in are....dumbed down as it may be....

I'm fairly sure that those numbers are available to the public anyway...as almost everything in a publically traded company is....

DVC Mike
09-22-2009, 06:42 AM

Look in the annual dues paperwork that gets mailed out every November. The total number of points sold and unsold is listed.

Ian
09-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks, Mike. I figured it had to be available somewhere. I'll check it out.

lorieandalex
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Thank you so much for all the replies....

21 days and we will be in the Happiest Place on Earth....can't wait