PDA

View Full Version : Marching Band

stitcherbelle
09-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I am going to Disney with the marching band and i was wondering if anyone has ever done this? I know we're marching at the magic kingdom. We're going to Disney from the 16th of December to the 21st. Do you think it will be an afternoon parade or a night parade? Is there any other info I should know?
Thanks,
sticherbelle :tink:

badkitty
09-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I have seen non-Disney marching bands before the afternoon parade and before Spectromagic. Others should be along soon with more information. Have fun!

Dickson Thunder
09-20-2009, 03:09 PM
My High School Band marched in the afternoon parade in the Magic Kingdom in 1976. It was between Christmas and New Years. One of the neatest things was getting to see the utilidors.

Genie1953
09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I went with our local band as a chaperone back in 1998. We flew in the day after Christmas and flew out on New Year's Day. The band performed at Epcot and also performed in the Citrus Bowl Parade on New Year's Eve day. Both were afternoon parades. I must say that it was quite an experience and I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

:mickey:

PeterPan
09-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, you are performing as part of "Disney's Magic Music Days" program. You are now part of thousands of guest amateur performers who come to perform at Disney Theme Parks world wide. Your band will perform before SpectroMagic if you are truly outstanding - Magic Music Days will feature only the best, most outstanding bands in the evening. BUT even if you perform in the afternoon - WHAT AN HONOR! You are "onstage" at the world's most popular vacation destination. People from all over the world will see you!

My handbell choir has performed at Walt Disney World eight times. We were the first handbell choir to perform at Disney's Hollywood Studios. In previous years, we had already performed at The Magic Kingdom and Epcot. At that time, there were only three theme parks - SO we were the first handbell choir to perform at all three of the then-existing theme parks. We have also performed at Disneyland Paris.

You are in for a real treat. Do NOT take it for granted. Think of all the band and choirs and dance squads (etc.) that can only DREAM of what you are going to do. It is a priviledge and an honor to become (even for one day) part of the GREAT Disney Entertainment Legacy.

IamBelle
09-21-2009, 06:53 AM
I am going with my marching band in April for 5 days. We are doing a music workshop in Epcot and marching in the MK parade, idk what time exactly, but they went before my freshman year and they said it was in the afternoon.

GoofyFan13
09-21-2009, 03:43 PM
The Symphonic Band at my school (which I am in) is going to Orlando during spring break, we aren't playing at Disney, but me and my parents are thinking about extending our stay to do Disney on our own!!! :number1:

Hopefully this will work out!!!

FantasmicJ
09-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I went to WDW with my Marching Band in 1999. We marched at MK just before Spectromagic, and just before the afternoon parade at MGM (it will always be MGM to me). All I can say is that it was absolutely amazing, and I am proud to have done so. Enjoy it!!

bdm@pga
09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I am a HS band director who takes the band every 3 years. We have marched in the night time parade. It is incredible. There is so much to share with you that will not fit here. fell free to contact me and i can fill you in and give you some pointers

Genie1953
09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
I am going with my marching band in April for 5 days. We are doing a music workshop in Epcot and marching in the MK parade, idk what time exactly, but they went before my freshman year and they said it was in the afternoon.

When in April? My husband and I will be there celebrating our 30th anniversary from April 10 thru 18....maybe we will be able to watch.

IamBelle
09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
When in April? My husband and I will be there celebrating our 30th anniversary from April 10 thru 18....maybe we will be able to watch.

April 15-19 I believe the parade in MK is on the 17th. Don't forget to look for the Rangers (blue and black uniforms) from MA!!

SillySymphony
09-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Stitcherbelle, depending upon what your Music Director has requested, and how long his/her request has been in "queue", along with the other numerous Performing Groups who will be on property with you- Disney's Performing Arts staff will contact your school roughly three weeks out to finalize all your special events (Parades, Sit down concerts, MMD Workshops). I can assure you that their job is Herculean and every bit as complex as there could be on Disney Property. Once your Workshop times have been decided along with your performance times, your music staff will then be able to begin to flesh out the remaining itinerary ( i.e. - what Park or Water Park you will be able to visit, etc) Here tho' is one the best kept secrets of WDW and it's strictly for MMD groups. You will get a glimpse of "Backstage Life" within the "Happiest Place on Earth". Be forewarned tho'... absolutely NO still or video images are permitted, so you'll need to have a great memory. But I'll count myself among those who've been permitted to "peek" under the veil.... Let's just say.... there are as many surprises backstage as there are"on stage" Feel free to message me for any other questions you might have pertaining to MMD. Have a swell time !!!

Mousemates
09-24-2009, 08:32 AM
My daughters high school band (the Chargers of McMinn Central---Go Big Blue!) marched in Epcot about a year and a half ago and she had a great time. She's actually hoping to go back this year and march in the MK. If you enjoy the expeirence even half as much as she did, you'll love it.

BluewaterBrad
09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Congrats!! I marched in the Main Street Parade at MK. That was back in 80 and again in 81. Things have probably changed now, but it was an amazing experience back then!:mickey:

Iteachpc
09-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I accompanied my daughter's high school band to WDW 2 years ago. They marched in the afternoon parade in at MK. Of course they were terrific. I have to say I was so excited and thrilled to see her marching down Main Street with the castle in the background. Truly a once in a lifetime event!

We spent 2.5 days in the parks. It was a great trip, but way to short for our Disney crazy family. :mickey:

ransam
09-26-2009, 05:29 PM
you'l have a great time...
my family will be there during that time...you guys better be good!!!! haha.