PDA

View Full Version : a few tipping questions

princessat37
09-19-2009, 12:08 PM
1. can restaurant tips be applied to your room charges?
2. should you tip the ME bus driver?
3. should you tip at the BBB?

thank you! :mickey:

Disney4us2
09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi,
I am not sure about that myself for a couple of them. I am curious about the dining tips too, if they can be charged to the room.

I did tip the ME driver. They did say that they do not work for Disney and that any tips are welcome.

Dont' know about the BBB.

Laura670
09-19-2009, 02:39 PM

I have never used ME so I can't answer that one. We have done BBB and have tipped and also the restaraunt tips can be charged to your room. Hope that helps!:mickey:

mattandmandy
09-19-2009, 02:45 PM
What about mousekeeping? Do yall tip your housekeeper? We have never done this at any other hotel and have only heard of this being done at Disney. Someone on here once mentioned if you tip mousekeeping they will make special animals out of towels for you but they did this from day 1 before we had the chance to tip. Our housekeeper at CBR was great last year and always did special things like take our kids pajamas and lay them out and arrange our boys toys around the bed or in the window....really nice stuff. If you do tip then how much?

Also, what is BBB?

Daisy'sMom
09-19-2009, 02:59 PM
We always tip mousekeeping. :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2009, 03:42 PM

1. Yes if it's a restaurant where the bill could be applied to you rooom charge
2. Yes a dollar or two.
3. Yes, again not a lot but a little is cutomary.

Laura670
09-19-2009, 04:39 PM
1. Yes if it's a restaurant where the bill could be applied to you rooom charge
2. Yes a dollar or two.
3. Yes, again not a lot but a little is cutomary.

We were on the dining plan last year and all of our tips were charged to our room

Laura670
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=mattandmandy;1960478]
Also, what is BBB?[/QUOTE

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Aggie97
09-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes, restaurant tips can be applied to your room charge (as long as the restaurant is one that allows you to pay with your room charge).

We tip hotel housekeeping $1 per guest per night.

Have a great time! :mickey:

princessat37
09-19-2009, 05:32 PM
thanks everyone!
and yes, we will tip mousekeeping $4/day in hopes that we will get the towel animals and any other special treatment. :) my girls have already decorated the tip envelopes w/ princess stickers. :p

tnpoohbear
09-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I know at the BBB there is no tipping and I think they had a sign up stating that atleast that was the on at DTD. :mickey:

phillydan
09-21-2009, 01:45 PM
1. No problem charging the tip to your room.
2. Yes, I always tip the ME drivers both ways. At least a $1 per person or per bag, whichever is more for your situation.
3. Never did BBB

Mousekeeping - YES, I always tip at least $1 per guest everyday. When staying at a deluxe that has turn down service, I try to leave at least a few dollars if we are back in the room after the morning service and before the night service. However, I do not make a special trip back to the room for this.

Additional - don't forget the bellboy!

DisneyFr33k
09-22-2009, 11:11 AM
I did tip the ME driver. They did say that they do not work for Disney and that any tips are welcome.

Maybe I am dense, but who do they work for if not Disney? Doesn't Disney own the ME buses?

Goes4FastPass
09-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Maybe I am dense, but who do they work for if not Disney? Doesn't Disney own the ME buses?
Mears Transportation.

Actually, when you're directed to a bus at the Disney Welcome Center at MCO the bus artwork may say Disney's Magical Express or Disney Cruise Line or Mear's Transportation but it's all the same company.

And every DME bus I've been on (regardless of badging) had a sign indicating tips were appreciated.

DNS
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
We tip maid service at all hotels.

Urbss
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
What about mousekeeping? Do yall tip your housekeeper? We have never done this at any other hotel and have only heard of this being done at Disney.

Actually, tipping is something that I've done at any hotel (depending on the service of course - just like in a restaurant). I've been tipping housekeeping at all hotels/motels for many years.

I learned that this is customary when I was working as a consultant and was on the road 5 days a week.

I'll give you all one piece of advice - don't try to be cute and tip with $2.00 bills. I did this last year. I tipped more each day than my in-laws tipped - we had the same "Mousekeeper" - she did a lot of special things for them and nothing for us. My 3 year old was dissappoointed that he didn't get towel creatures, but Nana and Pa did. I didn't think about it at the time, but now I think that our Mousekeeping lady might have thought I was using "funny money" or something. I would be that every $2.00 went into the trash and she purposely didn't give us the service she gave my in-laws because of it. Kind of funny (in a way) but also a little sad.

Tom

Tom

Ian
09-23-2009, 07:55 AM
1. can restaurant tips be applied to your room charges?Yes.

2. should you tip the ME bus driver?If he or she helps with your luggage then definitely ... tip them the standard $1 to $2 per bag. If not, then tip at your discretion.

3. should you tip at the BBB?Yes. Tip the same 20% you'd tip your own stylist at home.

Ian
09-23-2009, 08:00 AM
What about mousekeeping? Do yall tip your housekeeper? We have never done this at any other hotel and have only heard of this being done at Disney.I don't think tipping has anything to do with the towel animals (although it might help), but I can tell you that you should tip housekeeping at any hotel you use. Not just Disney.

Typically, a good tip is $2 per night, per person in the room. If I'm staying by myself, though, I usually up that to $5 because they have to do a lot of the same work even with only one person in the room.

I know at the BBB there is no tipping and I think they had a sign up stating that atleast that was the on at DTD. :mickey:That's incorrect. BBB Cast does accept tips and always has, as far as I'm aware. There is definitely no sign. DD has been to both the DTD one and the MK one multiple times and we've tipped every time.

Mickey91
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I believe you should tip according to service. Especially to those jobs making at least minimum wage. We tip excellent service very well and it goes down from there. If you aren't willing to give me service, I'm not going to tip. As for the towel animals, we have tipped VERY well at some places and received none and tipped what we could at others and received really cool ones. I think it just depends on the worker.

You still need to tip the bell services etc.

When my DD went to BBB at the castle right when it opened, we were told that tips were not accepted upon trying to tip our wonderful Godmother. Maybe this has changed or it depends on the person at the register.

DisneyFr33k
09-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow, now another thing I feel guilty about! I'm still feeling bad about not tipping house keeping!

I thought Disney owned the buses and tipping didn't even occur to me!

Ian
09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
When my DD went to BBB at the castle right when it opened, we were told that tips were not accepted upon trying to tip our wonderful Godmother. Maybe this has changed or it depends on the person at the register.That's so weird ... seems like another area in which Disney is inconsistent.

DD has gone to the BBB five times and we've tipped our Godmother every time without an issue. :confused:

Belster
09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
1. Yes tip the ME driver $1 per bag or whatever you feel is good.

2. Yes, your restaurant tips may be added to your room charge.

3. I have not done BBB but I would tip if I took my child there.

SignguyTom
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
We always charge our meal tips to the room.

As for the rest, we create envelopes before we leave with the other tips inside and clearly labeled as to whom is to receive them. There will be 2 (1 each direction) for ME, 2 for housekeeping (DVC rooms only get service every 4the day) 1 for Bell Services to hold our bags the final morning after we checkout, and 2 (1 each direction) for the cab driver who will be taking us to/from the golf course.

By doing this, it helps budget and can be done well ahead of time. :thumbsup: