PDA

View Full Version : Have question about upgrading at checkout using points

luvDaMouse
09-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Help...
I am checking in on 10/29 we are 5 adults I have 2 studios booked at SSR, I am waitlisted at both Kidani and BLT for a 1 bedroom. Also I call every other day or so to try for a 2 bedroom at AKV. I really want us to be in ONE room, so my question is If I do not get my waitlist ( I am on up to 7 days prior to the 29th) and I want to change to a 2 bedroom at SSR ( if that is even available) can I upgrade at checkin or 6 days before my trip using points??? has anyone done this? If so have you had any problems??
Still hoping for my waitlist to come through!:fingers:
Thanks,
Dana 39 days! :mpumpkin:

lockedoutlogic
09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I believe that the point adjustment will be made by member services retroactively after your checkout....but i have never done an on-site change using DVC points.

I'm fairly certain they wouldn't make it an issue to make that kinda a change...though you will of course see the point being charged during your stay or shortly thereafter.

You're going during the food and wine festival...Christmas for DVC....so i would strongly encourage you to get what you can now....there is almost no flexibility during the month of October at DVC locations:blush:

Ian
09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I would call now and see if the 2BR at SSR is available. Why wouldn't you just upgrade now to the 2BR and still stay on the waitlist for the other locations?

I'm very confused ... if you wanted to be all in one room, why did you book two studios in the first place and not the 2BR? :confused:

luvDaMouse
09-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Well Ian thats a good question. But It was just going to be me, Dh and DD and I was going to get a studio in AKV (my home resort) Then my other dd and her boyfriend decided that they wanted to come and at that time their was nothing available in AKV for a one bedroom so SSR was my only choice so I took 2 studios cause a 2 bedroom would cost me an extra 40 pts. The 2 studios are 128pts. I have already borrowed 5 pts from my 2009 pts (dec use year). But you can answer me a question, If I go ahead and borrow the 40pts for the 2 bedroom what happens to the points if my waitlist comes through and its less points? I was under the impression that it would go into my 2008 use year and I am not taking any more trips till Nov 2010.The AKV 2br value would be 138pts so thats the one I am calling on
I would only need 10 more points. I hope this all makes sense I am new to the waitlisting and this is how I understood it maybe I am wrong if so please explain:confused:
Thanks!
Dana

Ian
09-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Uh ........ 4?

No seriously, though, I need a little more information before I can answer. Can you give me the breakdown of the points you're using for all your current reservations?

It sounds to me like you're using a combo of '08 and '09 points?

luvDaMouse
09-19-2009, 08:33 PM
see.. I have confused you too:blush:
I have 175pts per uy. My uy is Dec. I used 52 pts in may so I have 123 left from 2008. 2 studios at SSR are 64 pts each so I had to borrow 5pts from 2009. I have waitlisted for AKV for a 1bdr which is only 120 pts and a 1 bdr at Blt which is 138 pts. And I call to try to get a 2bdr value at AKV which is also 138 pts. As I understand it if my waitlist goes through they will pull what they need from my 09pts but what happens if your waitlist needs less points??? its too late to bank them because my banking deadline was July. Sooooooo I would rather not borrow 40 pts from 09 until I absolutely have to. I am intending on booking a trip in Nov of 2010 and need a good amount of points for that trip which will involve 09,10 and maybe 2011 ( but I intend to add on by then)
I hope you understand all my ramblings:blush:

lockedoutlogic
09-19-2009, 09:17 PM
I see your problem...

If you pull from your 2009 use year to get a larger villa and your waitlist then does come through....you would basically lose the borrowed points because they can't be returned to the 09 use year at this point.

That being the case...you would need to just be happy with the 2 BR and basically forget any waitlisting before you switch

I hear Saratoga is lovely:thedolls:

luvDaMouse
09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I stayed in SSR in May and me and my DH really liked it, he had a T-time at LBV and all we had to do was walk there. We stayed in the Grandstand section and we were 1st on and 1st off the bus. I would be okay with staying there. Its just that 40pts is alot when you only have a total of 175 and have a big trip scheduled. I would however rather spend the same amount of points and be able to get the treehouse villas!:) but alas they are booked also:( So I will take my chances and call everyday or so and hope for my waitlists to come through. By the way when I called one time to check a CM said that if someone was going to cancel they might do it at 30 days prior does anyone know this to be true??

lockedoutlogic
09-19-2009, 09:30 PM
I stayed in SSR in May and me and my DH really liked it, he had a T-time at LBV and all we had to do was walk there. We stayed in the Grandstand section and we were 1st on and 1st off the bus. I would be okay with staying there. Its just that 40pts is alot when you only have a total of 175 and have a big trip scheduled. I would however rather spend the same amount of points and be able to get the treehouse villas!:) but alas they are booked also:( So I will take my chances and call everyday or so and hope for my waitlists to come through. By the way when I called one time to check a CM said that if someone was going to cancel they might do it at 30 days prior does anyone know this to be true??

If you cancel 31 days out....you avoid having the points go into the dreaded "holding" account (it's in your membership material)...so that is really the day of last resort for those that might be on the fence about coming....