PDA

View Full Version : Wizzarding World Of Harry Potter - First Look

John
09-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Opening in Spring 2010 - here is the link sent out this morning that provides a new video overview of the park coming to Universal next year...

http://www.universalorlando.com/harrypotter/first_look_uo2.html

Patricia
09-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Very interesting..

I've never been to Universal Florida and I'm not a Potter fan, but I'm looking forward to seeing it someday.

NJGIRL
09-16-2009, 09:55 AM
That's so cool. I hope that they make the projected opening date because we will be there in Oct 2010 and the front of the line access will be a great perk.

I like how they showed an overview of both parks and featured some of the attractions at the begining of the video. I think some people who have never been there think that Universal is not as clean or as big as the Disney parks. It was a great way to show people what the parks actually look like.

SBETigg
09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Sounded like a lot of emphasis on gift shop to me. Line up for your Harry Potter souvenirs, ka-ching. Not that WDW isn't guilty of the same. I wasn't that impressed with what I saw. I don't know. It didn't look like much and I guess I was hoping for more. Maybe it will be better in execution.

John
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Universal Studios Florida is a fantastic theme park that does not dissapoint. It's not Disney but it's not meant to be Disney.

The theming, attractions and experience is top notch and any Disney fan that puts it down has their fanboy glasses on.

It also has some of the most innovative attractions in all the country.

The video didn't show me enuff - attraction wise, I think the castle attraction will probably be interesting, the dragon attraction is just the existing coaster rethemed.

I know I'll be going there to see what's up for sure

NJGIRL
09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Universal Studios Florida is a fantastic theme park that does not dissapoint. It's not Disney but it's not meant to be Disney.

The theming, attractions and experience is top notch and any Disney fan that puts it down has their fanboy glasses on.

I can't agree with you more. "It's not Disney but it's not meant to be Disney" hits it right on the head. Universal is totally different than Disney but not in a bad way. We have just as much fun at Universal as we do in Disney. I don't believe it has to be "either" "or".

While the video didn't show alot about the attractions just knowing their prior reputation of putting out great rides I can guess this won't be an expection, especially since JKR wouldn't let the Harry Potter name become tarnished by putting out a less than exceptional area. I do think "The Village" will be a total immersion of Harry Potter and I know that is very big reason so many here love Disney.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I also got the email this morning and can not WAIT to see it!! Universal absolutely rocks in it's themeing and the extent of it. I'm sure this will be as amazing as the other sections and will be far better than the video depicts! :thumbsup:

I'm waiting with bated breath for a date in the spring! :cloud9:

TiggeRia
09-16-2009, 10:44 PM
I am really hoping that Universal does this the right way. I think that the plans and concept art look amazing, but I am really interested to see the final product. How much work they put into this and how much attention to detail I think will make or break them. I for one will be spending a day or two at IOA to take it all in.

Goofy Pluto
09-16-2009, 11:44 PM
We're planning a trip to Central Florida next August and one of the reasons is specifically to see this. Can't wait!

Mickey's 4Walls
09-19-2009, 08:39 PM
When do you think spring 2010 means ? We were going in Feb 2010 now I was thinking of waiting until Spring Brk ( march 2010). Think it might B opened?:fingers:

TiggeRia
09-19-2009, 08:44 PM
When do you think spring 2010 means ? We were going in Feb 2010 now I was thinking of waiting until Spring Brk ( march 2010). Think it might B opened?

I think March is going to be too early. I'm thinking maybe more so in late April or May. But hey, I could be wrong! :shrug:

TheVBs
09-20-2009, 09:07 AM
DH and I were talking about this yesterday. We'd really like to go see it after it opens. It's difficult to decide when to go. We're thinking of Disney in Oct./2010, and think it would just be too much to try to tack US on to the beginning or end of a trip like that. Maybe Spring 2011.

clou1028
09-20-2009, 11:25 AM

The video didn't show me enuff - attraction wise, I think the castle attraction will probably be interesting, the dragon attraction is just the existing coaster rethemed.

I know I'll be going there to see what's up for sure

Agreed. I am a WDW fan all the way. But I also love Universal Orlando. People often compare the two, but they just aren't the same animal.

I am going to Universal Orlando next fall and I just can't wait!! It will have been seven years since my last visit, and I am anxious to return and very anxious to see the new WW of HP!

Aurora
09-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Big fan of HP here. Can't wait to visit the Wizarding World.

As far as "gift shop" criticism, there's no kid in the world who's read the books who wouldn't like to visit the shops that the HP characters do. I can see Ollivander's packed with people.

There is a built-in audience here for years to come. The fact that the roller coaster is just re-themed and the castle attraction is the only other ride is secondary to the "immersion" factor. If they do that right, it will be a success. The experience is the attraction.

BrerGnat
09-23-2009, 05:34 PM
I'd happily visit the WW of HP even if it didn't have ANY rides...

The rest of IOA has plenty of rides...

The Wizarding World isn't supposed to be about RIDES. It's supposed to be a recreation of the town of Hogsmeade as well as Hogwarts Castle. As someone else said, it's all about the theme and how well executed it is. It could be REALLY well done and extraordinary, or it can fall flat on its face, and be nothing more than some poorly done up gift shops. I have a feeling Universal will not disappoint on this one...there is too much at stake.

We are planning a WDW trip for late April/early May 2010. If this thing will be open, I might break away from the rest of the family and head over there for a day to check it out (no one else cares a whit about HP in my house...). :secret:

rachel_future_candy_maker
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
i just watched the video recently, and i can't wait!!! it looks like so much fun-especially all of the wizarding shops! i don't think it will top disney though...

:pixie:

Goofy Pluto
09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Big fan of HP here. Can't wait to visit the Wizarding World.

As far as "gift shop" criticism, there's no kid in the world who's read the books who wouldn't like to visit the shops that the HP characters do. I can see Ollivander's packed with people.

There is a built-in audience here for years to come. The fact that the roller coaster is just re-themed and the castle attraction is the only other ride is secondary to the "immersion" factor. If they do that right, it will be a success. The experience is the attraction.

Heck, I'm not a kid and I can't wait to visit the gift shops! Really want to get my on rememberall! :D

NJGIRL
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Heck, I'm not a kid and I can't wait to visit the gift shops! Really want to get my on rememberall! :D

I think if they stock the gift shops right it could be a goldmine for them. If they take the ideas from the movie and make decent items they will do well. It won't be the same old same old cookie cutter stuff and people will probably go crazy over it.

aurora, ariel, and bell
09-30-2009, 08:59 AM
I've never been to Universal. I love HP and we are planning a 14 day trip to DW in Sept 2010. Just wondering how many days you would designate to Universal (since it's our first time) DH won't do rollercoaster rides, so we are only interested in rides more similar to DW. Would you stay at DW and rent a car to get there? Or stay closer to Universal? I am anxious to try something new.
My idea was to stay at DW and get a 10 day pass and use the other 4 days to head over to universal...would this work?

NJGIRL
09-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I've never been to Universal. I love HP and we are planning a 14 day trip to DW in Sept 2010. Just wondering how many days you would designate to Universal (since it's our first time) DH won't do rollercoaster rides, so we are only interested in rides more similar to DW. Would you stay at DW and rent a car to get there? Or stay closer to Universal? I am anxious to try something new.
My idea was to stay at DW and get a 10 day pass and use the other 4 days to head over to universal...would this work?

We always spend 3 days at Universal and have gone many many times. Four days should be enough. If you look at the thread "universal first time please help plan" I listed all of the non rollercoasters and compared some of the attractions to Disney so she could get an idea about what the ride was like.

lockedoutlogic
09-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Okay....let's be honest....

the real "guts" of this new area is the "state of the art harry potter attraction" that will be plopped underneath he Hogwart's mockup...

the rest is what we would mostly expect....a retail area and two (yes...two) rehashed rollercoasters.

I'm a fan of both dueling dragons and - in a way - flight of the unicorn....
but those things look to largely be the same with some new cars and some props stuck on top of them....

This new potter thing is intriguing....i would expect it would be more of the audio/visual type experience like spiderman than the pure, based in physics, thrill type thing (ie Hulk)...so i am intrigued.

I only hope that universal put alot of money in the theming and detail...as it really is not a huge "addition"...but looks more like a retrofit with some additions...

at least no more Jurassic Park "lame boat to nowhere":thumbsup: