PDA

View Full Version : How to keep Youngsters Patient in Line?

disneykid@hrt
09-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey I've been wondering how I'm going to keep my overly active DD21 month old happy while we're in line. I know once we get inside certain stuff the point and explain tactic will be good to go, but she's not a big fan of standing still EVER. Does anyone have any clever ideas, or even props they can suggest?

25 Days!:mickey:

I LoveJack
09-15-2009, 09:29 PM
We took small bottles of bubbles with us when my daughters were 4 & 6. They liked to blow them and other kids in line liked to try to catch them so kept more then just themselves entertained.:mickey:

BrerGnat
09-15-2009, 09:36 PM
1. Snacks

2. Snacks

3. Snacks

Did I mention snacks? ;)

I utilize the stuff like goldfish, pretzels, and gummy bears, raisins, etc. Stuff I keep in a ziploc bag. I hold it. I give ONE at a time. Usually works. Intersperse with a drink. Eat 5 pieces...sip of water....eat 5 more....sip. This eats up more time than you would think, and helps ward off "low blood sugar" tantrums later because you "forgot to do snacktime".

Also, we just avoid lines in excess of about 15 min. That's about the saturation point for toddlers, we've found, after MANY MANY trips to Disneyland.

Bubbles, I've never understood. Kids like to CHASE bubbles, no? And then they pop, and get soapy everywhere. No thanks! Never brought bubbles to Disney...

Magna Doodle, travel size. Works well. Draw simple stuff...letters, numbers, shapes, animals, and have your child guess what you are drawing.

If you have a "smart phone", iphone, video ipod, zune, or anything similar, put a slide show of family photos on it. Let your child watch the slideshow in line. Kids eat that stuff up...they love looking at family photos. Some smart phones (at least mine) have "cellular video" on it, and you can watch short episodes of Playhouse Disney shows on it. They are 20 min each...perfect length for a ride queue...

It's really not as hard as you think. The queues are roped off well, and don't really allow for much wiggle room. Your kid will learn quickly that there's no way out, really, and will hopefully figure out VERY quickly that there is ALWAYS a nice reward at the end of the line. :thumbsup:

momof3+twins
09-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Avoid shows like Ellen's Energy preshow and China's show. Those kind of things are worse than lines. They are not interested. Avoid lines longer than 15 mins as posted already. You will have to wait longer for Toy Story Mania, but the line is entertaining. I like the monkey harness for their backs. Then when they try to dart under the rope in line, they aren't going anywhere. I think it will work out though!

disneykid@hrt
09-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Thanks for all the ideas so far guys. I did get a Minnie Mouse harness off Ebay. We already use this teddy bear one at the zoo, sporting events, etc. She loves it, call it her "baby." Awwww...:thumbsup:

Imagineer1981
09-16-2009, 11:01 AM
If you are going in 25 days, you'll miss most long waits anyways, the parks should be relatively empty. For the most part though, take advantage of FP whereever possible and stick to short waits

Disney Doll
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
We avoid long lines. This shouldn't be a problem for you in October. Another good idea is stickers. We ended up with tons of stickers from CMs and they were so handy. Sticking and resticking and repositioning actually occupied a lot of time. Snacks are also good. I have never used bubbles in line, but they are great for parade waits. The mini bubbles are so small that they don't make a mess and they don't really drift off as they pop pretty quick.

barbiegirl314
09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
We play the color game with my youngest son. I ask him to find as many things as he can around him that are a certain color (ex:red) once he can't find anything more in that color we move onto another color.

It helps pass the time and it's helping him learn his colors!

Giselle
09-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Just remember that waiting in line is part of the fun. .not something you have to endure and that improves everyone's attitude immediately. Play patacake, teach him/her a song, let her talk to kids in line around him/her. As long as you look at it as a fun time, then it should be ok. I like the bubbles and snacks advice. Sounds good to me!

IamBelle
09-22-2009, 10:28 PM
On my last trip, my brother, 13, gets bored fast while waiting in line. So, while waiting in line, we played games like 20 Questions and I Spy. It is fun and you get to look at everything around you better when trying to find something during I Spy.

Darin M
09-23-2009, 12:20 AM
If your kids are good, you can probably get away with playing a game, like "if you could make a roller coaster, how would it be"

If your kids are bad, don't take them to the park. Sorry if that sounds mean!

Belster
09-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry Darin...a 21 month old can't be bad! This is a family park...don't forget that!