PDA

View Full Version : Using QSDP to fullest advantage

momofdisneyprincess
09-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Since the QSDP is new, I am trying to figure out how to utilize it to our fullest advantage when we are there in May. I know it is far away but I am obsessed with planning. A little background, it is Me, DH, DD7 and DS2 and we are staying at a 2BR at BWV. Since my DS2 is under 3, he will not be on the plan so I am trying to figure out ways to be creative so he can eat too. Has anyone had any experiences with snacks they can use as a meal? For example, at the BW Bakery, can we get a couple of muffins and a juice? We are also going to two character meals so that is two CS credits I can use for him. I know we can't use more than (3) CS at a time. I will get his first and then go somewhere else to use the rest (that's my thinking anyway). Any tips would be much appreciated.

VWL Mom
09-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Just a thought but if everyone is going to 2 character meals wouldn't that give you 6CS credits?

At some of the CS you could order the double burger and either pay for the extra bun or make it 2 open face sandwiches. Also, the chicken wrap at Pecos Bills is big enough for 2 as are the salads at Pizza Planet.

BrerGnat
09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
You can be creative at times, but you should plan to spend some money out of pocket on kid's meals for him, depending on how picky he is and/or how big of an appetite you ALL have.

SOME CS meals are large enough to be shared, but with having a 7 year old, I'd say she will probably eat her entire kid's meal and you or your DH will end up having to share YOUR food with your DS. The kid's meals (at the CS restaurants) are not that big.

I have 3 and 5 year old sons...we go to DL often, and they are at the point where they EACH need their own kid's meal now. They were able to share one up until about a year ago. They have cut back the portions, it seems...

The best places for larger CS meals are Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bill in Tomorrowland, and then either Pizzafari or Flame Tree BBQ in AK, where there are an abundance of side items that count as snacks, that can supplement a CS meal and provide the opportunity for your DS to eat from your plates.

It's easy to use snack credits for breakfast, but it's not always the best use of them, as a single piece of fruit is a snack credit, but only costs like $1 something, while a muffin also is a snack credit, but costs twice as much, see? The guideline is that you should only use the snack credit for items priced OVER $3, otherwise pay out of pocket, since MANY MANY times, snack credits can be used on items priced between $3-5. This is in order to maximize your dollar return, though. If you are trying to just burn up your credits, though, use them as you see fit.

Of course, at the buffets, he eats free!

momofdisneyprincess
09-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the tips. Definitely useful. Also, thanks for doing the math for me. Can't believe I missed that one (6 credits instead of 2). Looks like we should have enough food for all. Even if we have to pay for two meals OOP for him - no biggie. Thanks again for all your help. If anyone else has any "tips" please feel free to chime in.

Soccermom12
09-16-2009, 01:57 PM
We had free dining when we went. I am not a huge soda drinker, so I would always order a milk for my DD (2.5) as my drink and I would ask for a cup of ice water for me. An adult milk at CS locations is much bigger than the child size!

There are 6 of us me, DH, DS(11), DS(8), DS(6) and DD(2.5). We would usually share our sides and desserts, and my two sons on the child meal plan would get two packs of grapes each for their sides - which my daughter loved....it was great to have these handy while waiting in long lines. We had plenty of food, and I think we only paid for one meal for her (but she is a very light eater).

momofdisneyprincess
09-16-2009, 02:28 PM
soccermom12 thanks for that tip. That is a great idea. Both my kids love milk and we will have bottled water delivered so I don't need the soda with my meal. This is exactly the kind of tips I was looking for.

lighteningqueen
09-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Look at the menus for Mara, Pepper Market and Riverside Mill. They are all counter service and offer a lot more than on or in the parks. Pepper has Quesadillas, fajitas large portions from what I can see so it is like having a TS. Mara I think had a shrimp platter that counts as CS, and POR has a make your own pasta meal and someone else said steak meal on some nights. But not at lunch, but who cares it's a CS no matter what time of day. Look these over on allears.net and see what you think for value.

ldc12377
09-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Here is a tip we learned on our last trip from a cashier at the POP food court: you can use a CS credit to get 4 drinks or 4 "dessert" items or a combo of the two. For example, you could get 4 cinnamon rolls for one CS credit. So you could get breakfast for four with just one CS credit and your refillable mugs. The only "catch" is that the food items have to be items that could be added to a CS as a dessert. Items labeled as snack only can be used.

Iluvpooh
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Here is a tip we learned on our last trip from a cashier at the POP food court: you can use a CS credit to get 4 drinks or 4 "dessert" items or a combo of the two. For example, you could get 4 cinnamon rolls for one CS credit. So you could get breakfast for four with just one CS credit and your refillable mugs. The only "catch" is that the food items have to be items that could be added to a CS as a dessert. Items labeled as snack only can be used.
Yep I did this once. I LOVE Ruby Red Grapefruit juice so I used one of my CHILD QS Credits for 4 bottles to keep in the room fridge. Those four bottles of juice cost more than the cost of a full day of the QS dining plan.:cool: Just make sure they ring it up under the kids credits. You can do the same thing with yogurts, cinnamon rolls, muffins ect..

momofdisneyprincess
09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Thank you so much ldc12377 and iluvpooh. That is EXACTLY the info I was looking for. We are staying at BWV so I hope the Bakery has some desserts that would count. I wonder if this is "standard practice" or depends on the CM? I will definitely be able to limit our food delivery this way - and save some $$. Thanks again, wonderful tip!