PDA

View Full Version : Is Society in General Becoming Less Civil?

Ian
09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Okay, so I couldn't help but laugh today ... CNN.com runs these little things they call Quick Votes, where they throw a question out there on a current events related topic and people can vote on how they feel about it.

Today's question was, "Is society in general becoming less civil?" Good question, right?

So after I voted I took note of the percentage of yes/no responses and it just gave me a chuckle.

90% of respondents voted that yes ... society in general is becoming less civil. But what struck me about that is this ... how many of the people who voted yes must be involved in making society less civil??? It can't be just the 10% of the people who voted no who are uncivil, otherwise I think everyone would agree that society was becoming more civil! I mean a 90% civility rate, that's pretty good right??

It just offered what I thought was a fascinating look into people's minds. How many of those who voted "Yes" probably don't hold doors for people, routinely forget to say thank you, don't give up their seats on a bus to people who need them, cut lines in Disney World, run over people with their strollers, rent ECV's even when they don't need them, or refill their refillable mugs from past trips?? :secret:

Obviously, this is all said tongue-in-cheek, but you guys get what I mean, right??

SBETigg
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
I understand, Ian. Everyone is pointing fingers at everyone else as being uncivil, but someone is actually doing it and that someone could be... Oh my gosh, did I just let that door hit you in the face?

Ed
09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Today's question was, "Is society in general becoming less civil?" Good question, right?

YEAH, THEY ARE. YOU WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT, BUSTER ? :mad:

:D Sorry. Couldn't resist. The :thedolls: made me do it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Intercot thread.

Ian
09-15-2009, 03:43 PM
YEAH, THEY ARE. YOU WANNA MAKE SOMETHING OF IT, BUSTER ? :mad:Don't make me run over you with my ECV, ED!!!

Septbride2002
09-15-2009, 03:58 PM
I do think society is becoming less civil and I voted in that poll as well Ian. I will be the first person to admitt that I have a quick temper and sharp tongue - but I was also taught to hold it.

I work in sales/customer service for a mortgage company and I would say 9 out of 10 calls start out with someone having major attitude towards me. As if I am the one that screwed up their mortgage, or I am the one that okayed the economic packages. I have been called every name in the book and have had to disconnect on many a client because of the way they started talking to me.

I think everyone is so busy trying to find someone to blame for their problems that they don't realize how rude they are being.

Personally I blame the 24 hour news networks. When anger became a hot selling item (think Olbermann and O'Reilly) more and more people thought that speaking their mind, voicing their anger, yelling at someone was going to in fact get them their way or get some attention.

To me - all this yelling and anger makes me not give a hoot. But hey thats just me. I count my blessings, turn off the TV and have a family meal around the table.

~Amanda

jerrywilborn
09-15-2009, 04:32 PM
"I can't stand it when people drive and talk on their cell-- Oh, I need to get this."

"Everyone but me is an awful driver."

Etc, etc, etc. :)

Scar
09-15-2009, 05:41 PM
... CNN.com runs these little things they call Quick Votes,We uncivil people are watching FOX. ;)

d_m_n_n
09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
We uncivil people are watching FOX. ;)

Does it make me less civil if I hold a door open for someone with my "Don't be a Pinhead" sweatshirt on? :laughing: I mean, I'm not "calling" them a pinhead...I may be thinking it though!!

jillluvsdisney
09-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Most definately. There was also an article about this topic on the front page of the Chicago Tribune today. I agree a lot of it has to do with cable and talk radio. Angry, ranting people draw large audiences who then take that same attitude out to the every day world. Before anyone flames me, yes, that is a generalization and I understand not everyone does it.

nicster
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Happy place people,happy place!!!:mickey:

Ian
09-15-2009, 07:26 PM
I do agree that today's climate in general seems to be one of ridiculous partisanship, complete and total lack of civil dialogue (shouting appears to have replaced legitimate debate), and a "he who shouts the loudest wins" sort of mentality.

It's sad. I hope we pull out of this funk some day, because honestly the only ones we're hurting are ourselves.

magicofdisney
09-15-2009, 08:12 PM
We uncivil people are watching FOX. ;)
Except Fox ran a similar article on the rudeness of society.
(I guess you know what I'm reading :)).

This topic in general reminds me of that maxim, 20% of the people do 80% of the work.

gueli
09-17-2009, 12:27 AM
90 %
10 %

how many of us give up our seats for someone else at WDW ? (at home I usually drive, so if I gave up my seat there might be an accident)...
How many will hold the door/elevator for someone?

Simple fact is- how you treat others is how they treat you.

Ian
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
how many of us give up our seats for someone else at WDW ? (at home I usually drive, so if I gave up my seat there might be an accident)...
How many will hold the door/elevator for someone?You know what ... I can proudly say that I do all those things routinely.

When we're in Disney, I almost never sit on the monorail unless we have the whole car to ourselves. I always hold elevators and doors for people, say please and thank you, help old ladies across the street ... my Momma taught me right!

But seriously ... I do all those things because I don't want to be one of those who contributes to incivility, but also because I need to set an example for my two kids. I want them to grow up with good manners.

nicster
09-17-2009, 10:40 AM
The Golden Rule is alive & well! The 'me-me-me' attitude does seem to smuge it a bit though.