PDA

View Full Version : More security at the parks?

Belle619
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
My DH and I were at the parks this past week, and I was surprised to see so much security in the parks. I'm sure that there have always beenmany plain-clothed guards, but to see so many in uniform really surprised me. We even saw K9 units around the monorail station at MK.

Is this due to more incidences in the parks or was it because of the timing of our visit (around 9/11)?

Christine
09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
My DH and I were at the parks this past week, and I was surprised to see so much security in the parks. I'm sure that there have always beenmany plain-clothed guards, but to see so many in uniform really surprised me. We even saw K9 units around the monorail station at MK.

Is this due to more incidences in the parks or was it because of the timing of our visit (around 9/11)?

I think there's just more period. I've noticed it all summer since moving down here. This morning at the TTC when I was going to my car after leaving MK, I noticed about three sherriff cars and several disney security cars, and lots of manpower outside. There wasn't anything going on that I could tell, they were just "there". :confused:

Sign of the times I suppose, but whatever the case I am grateful to have that presence there!

Joannelet
09-15-2009, 02:14 PM
my sister was there with her family in late August. she too said she never saw that amount of security before. hmmmmm....I wonder what is going on? I was wondering if other people were going to mention it.
I go in December so I am interested in seeing if its still like that. Its definintely something new and hasn't been like that before....

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-15-2009, 02:20 PM
We saw increased security during our May trip as well. Lots more uniformed officers, and the K9 unit was at the MK entrance one day.

I'm happy they are visable and working to keep us all safe.

Mousemates
09-15-2009, 02:23 PM
My DH and I were at the parks this past week, and I was surprised to see so much security in the parks. ....Is this due to more incidences in the parks or was it because of the timing of our visit (around 9/11)?

Yes, thats always the question that comes to mind...are they simply being proactive/diligent or are they being reactionary (responding to some known threat or bit of information that has been passed along to them). When I visit the parks (or any other "densely peopled" tourist areas) I choose to believe its number one...which keeps the "worry factor" down.

momof3+twins
09-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't be concerned. There was a K9 and officer last year in October at Epcot's main entrance. I think over all since 9/11/01 the security has been pumped up!

Pally
09-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I also noticed this recently. Because they were dressed in police uniforms I was wondering what was going on. But, they just seemed to watching people. I saw one near Mission Space and throughtout Epcot. This was the first time I ever noticed them.:mickey:

Joannelet
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I am trying to figure it out but I think something is definitely going on.......
Either Disney hired outside security all of a sudden....or there have been some sort of threats....
I mean you guys may not know this but Disney has undisguised security in the parks EVERYWHERE.....They have NEVER wanted you to see the security before...so i'm wondering what the change is all of a sudden and the sudden use of the dogs.....
maybe their own security staff was let go? That could be it...and they hired the Cty police to take over?
hmmmm...I'm going to try to find out but it just seems a little off to me......

SandmanGStefani24
09-16-2009, 10:51 PM
gotta agree with this one.

Working around and now with law enforcement I can easily say larger venues such as WDW do have a L.E. presence but what you see is such a small percentage of what is actually there.
There is an old addage that goes something to the effect, for every one mouse you see, there are seven more you don't. That's about right..

and BTW, no pun intended there!:D

MNNHFLTX
09-17-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't know that there looked to be more security when we were there a few weeks ago, but some of the barriers that have been put up to funnel people in through the central bag check are a little off-putting. This is especially true at Epcot. With all the new fences put up, it feels a bit like you're entering a prison. I know they've been in place for a while, but this was the first my son and I had seen them.

vws_and_disney
09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
When there in December there was a k9 officer at the entrance to DHS. I too am glad that they are there. The only time i saw a sheriffs car was at the parking booth for Epcot

nicster
09-17-2009, 11:07 AM
The K-9 units are something that I haven't seen yet, very interesting. I do know that in retail there was strategy to keeping security more or less obvious. Perhaps Disney decided that making security obvious & imposing to would-be badguys was the right tactic in this climate.

Ian
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't know that there looked to be more security when we were there a few weeks ago, but some of the barriers that have been put up to funnel people in through the central bag check are a little off-putting. This is especially true at Epcot. With all the new fences put up, it feels a bit like you're entering a prison. I know they've been in place for a while, but this was the first my son and I had seen them.I'd have to agree. Also, the traffic flow and detouring issues they create are, frankly, pretty annoying.

The fact that, when you walk out of MK and want to get on the resort monorail, you have to walk all the way down through the middle of the exit area and then all the way back over to the monorail station to go up the ramp is really irritating. When I'm done a long, hard day of beating feet in the parks, the last thing I want is more unnecessary walking.

Anyway, we just got back like two weeks ago and I'd have to say I didn't notice any unusual security activity. Maybe one or two uniformed cops standing around, but I kinda just attributed that to the proximity of the 9/11 anniversary.

Imagineer1981
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
In all honesty, when I was there 2 weeks ago, I didn't notice any increased security at all. It seemed the same like it always has been. I didn't see a single cop in the parks and hardly any Disney security. In fact even at the resorts where they are usually hardcore about parking, they let us right in. Perhaps you saw more because it was closer to 9/11?

johnO
09-17-2009, 03:43 PM
WDW contracts no less than 10 Orange County Deputies at all times. This is in addition to WDW's own security personnel.

starflyer59
09-18-2009, 10:13 AM
We were at MK on 9-9-09 and did not see any uniformed officers. The only security we saw were the ones at the bag check.

We was at Disney again in August and did not see any police officers. The only ones we saw were at the bag check.

Joannelet
09-18-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know if you guys know or not...and i have to find the link yet but my friend who is in Disney right now just sent me a text saying that all DISNEY buses were taken off the road, one had something found underneath it!!!!!
Taxi's were hired to make up for the buses being gone. All buses were taken to be inspected.
She said it is really scary there right now and she is glad to be coming home today.
I knew it! If I get more info I will try to post it here.....but my sister said she saw a link about it last night on intercot.....I'm going to try and see if I can find the info out.
I honestly think Disney was aware or is aware of something going on there....especially now that this just happened!!!

Aggie97
09-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Last October we saw uniformed officers and K-9 units near the MK boat docks and monorail station on a couple different days. We did not see any other indications of increased security.

IamBelle
09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I saw that too when I went in August this summer. I know that some people feel uneasy seeing a lot of security at the parks, but I feel safer, knowing that everything would be okay if anything unspeakable happened.

Aurora
09-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Here's a link to the Intercot discussion: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=161516

Joannelet
09-18-2009, 07:27 PM
here is the florida new channel reporting on it...its a video
http://www.cfnews13.com/MediaPlayer2/MediaPlayer.htm?video=0917DisneyBuses_091720091039&cat=Local&title=Disney%20Buses%20Halted

4myprincesses
09-19-2009, 04:40 PM
We were there Sept. 8-14th and deffinately noticed extra uniformed security. We saw the k-9 patrol three times while there and have only ever seen them one other time in trips past. On Sept. 11th we went to Epcot and k-9 was inside the gate patrolling from the gate to the fountain in front of SE. This was enough for my girls (age 7 and 8) to ask why and honestly, a good chance to talk about the Sept. 11th attacks with them.

The security didn't bother us one bit, even if it was extra. We go a couple times a year and couldn't recall the last time that security had such a visual presence. We are always there during the week of Sept. 11th as well so I have a hard time thinking it was because of that, though on Sept. 11th we have always noticed a few extra uniforms in the park.

BIGDOG
09-22-2009, 12:26 PM
found this today and wanted to pass it along.

[URL removed]

MNNHFLTX
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Moderator Note--

While I can appreciate the sense of passing on potentially important news, we want to avoid links to stories on news websites unless approved by a moderator. Many of these websites allowed uncensored comments following the main story and these are not usually family-friendly. (The CFS news link has been reviewed and is okay).

Let's keep this thread a discussion about observations of security at the parks. For any rumors or related news stories, please refer to the News, Rumors and Imagineering Forum.

Thank you. :)

Mickey91
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't know that there looked to be more security when we were there a few weeks ago, but some of the barriers that have been put up to funnel people in through the central bag check are a little off-putting. This is especially true at Epcot. With all the new fences put up, it feels a bit like you're entering a prison. I know they've been in place for a while, but this was the first my son and I had seen them.
I agree. It would be especially nice if they could set up two diferent areas at EPCOT. One for the monorail and tram and the other for the busses. It is a very long walk from the last bus stop all the way to the gate they allow you in. You're dead tired before you ever get into the park! And why so much control over where you exit? You still have to go through turnstiles. So why not make a few exits closer to the busses as well?

And Ian, I totally agree with you on the MK resort monorail exit. Every now and then they have the gate open. But more often than not, you have to go all the way around. To me, when the express monorail can exit right there, this is a punishment for resort guests instead of the perks you should be getting.

Ian
09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
DHS (that's Department of Homeland Security, not Disney Hollywood Studios) released a warning today to law enforcement about terrorist interest in attacking "sports and entertainment venues as well as luxury hotels."

I would defintely say that Disney World falls into all three of those categories!

And Ian, I totally agree with you on the MK resort monorail exit. Every now and then they have the gate open. But more often than not, you have to go all the way around. To me, when the express monorail can exit right there, this is a punishment for resort guests instead of the perks you should be getting.That's kinda how we felt about it, as well.

dmosher
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Topics like this tend to get out of control and push paranoia a bit too far.

The fact of the matter is that EVERY public venue across the country/world has increased it's security. Disney however has always had a large security force, most of which was not dressed in obviouse attire. The K-9 Units have always been there. Sometimes they are dressed in uniform and sometimes they are dressed as guide dogs, you will never know.
After working in the parks on many occassions, you find out these details.

The fact that Disney has put more of their officers into obvious uniforms does not in any way mean an immenent terrorist attack, it is simply a sign of the times and an increase in general criminal behaviour. IE: stealing candy from strollers during MNSSHP, yes it is that simple.

There have been more general instances of bad behaviour in the parks and in the end common sense dictates that the more people see security, the less likely they are to commit these acts. Enough with the "terrorist" game of madlibs and lets be serious here.

Sometimes the obvious and answer is actually the obvious answer.

OK, bring the hate-mail!
:pipes:
D

Giggy
09-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Topics like this tend to get out of control and push paranoia a bit too far.

The fact of the matter is that EVERY public venue across the country/world has increased it's security. Disney however has always had a large security force, most of which was not dressed in obviouse attire. The K-9 Units have always been there. Sometimes they are dressed in uniform and sometimes they are dressed as guide dogs, you will never know.
After working in the parks on many occassions, you find out these details.

The fact that Disney has put more of their officers into obvious uniforms does not in any way mean an immenent terrorist attack, it is simply a sign of the times and an increase in general criminal behaviour. IE: stealing candy from strollers during MNSSHP, yes it is that simple.

There have been more general instances of bad behaviour in the parks and in the end common sense dictates that the more people see security, the less likely they are to commit these acts. Enough with the "terrorist" game of madlibs and lets be serious here.

Sometimes the obvious and answer is actually the obvious answer.

OK, bring the hate-mail!
:pipes:
D

Well said! :exactly:

More visable security is simply be Disney's way of showing they're prepared, thus reducing the risk of anything kicking off. If there was a threat then the security (those we can see and can't see) will be capable of dealing with it. If there did happen to be such a big threat that people were at risk then they wouldn't let people in the parks until they had eliminated the source of danger.

Long story short: nothing to worry about. :mickey: