PDA

View Full Version : D23 Conference - Space Mountain

Jeff T
09-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Did anyone attend the D23 conference? If so, did anyone inquire about the status of the Space Mountain refurbishment, and specifically what we can expect when the work is complete. To date, it is purely specualtion as to what type of refurbishment is taking place. We are several months into the Space Mountain refurbishment, and there is little sign of significant work being done on the exterior, which is a mess (e.g. faded paint, cracked concrete, etc.). Rumors have been all over the place with respect to the attraction itself. Considering this is THE major attraction at the Magic Kingdom, I would think it would get some attention at D23.

Strmchsr
09-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I do know they are currently beginning the testing and adjusting phase right now, but no official word as to what, exactly, has been changed.

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-15-2009, 01:10 PM
They probably didn't mention it because they don't want it widely publicized that when the attraction reopens it's going to be largely the same.

The budget (and refurbishment time) for the project was slashed considerably early on for 2 reasons, (thank you Phil Holmes and TDO), the first being the decline in the economy. The second was that Space Mountain is a headline attraction and people have a tendency to complain A LOT if an attraction as popular as Space Mountain is down during their stay. Never mind the fact that these people seem to forget that these things do need maintenance and improvements, and sometimes you just have to learn to deal and hope it'll be open on your next visit.

The proposed changes, including brand new track, cars with an audio system, and improved special effects, would have warranted a downtime of at least a year but at the same time put it on par with the FAR superior version of Space Mountain at Disneyland.

Sure, all the naysayers are probably pleased that it'll be open for their overwhelmingly crowded Christmas trips. However, I can guarantee you all those complainers have never been to Disneyland, because if they had and they'd been on THEIR version of Space Mountain, they'd be changing their tune about the shortened rehab. They honestly don't know what they're missing/losing by this sub-par refurb.

Melanie
10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Sure, all the naysayers are probably pleased that it'll be open for their overwhelmingly crowded Christmas trips. However, I can guarantee you all those complainers have never been to Disneyland, because if they had and they'd been on THEIR version of Space Mountain, they'd be changing their tune about the shortened rehab. They honestly don't know what they're missing/losing by this sub-par refurb.

Amen!

seanyred
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Agreed !!!!

I rode the new Space Mountain last summer at DL and it was by far better ride. Better sound, smoother ride, better effects...I hope at least they updated the sound system of SM at WDW. The synchronized music is awesome.

Laughin' place
10-14-2009, 12:54 PM
So true that if you havent experienced something, you cant know what you are missing. SM was my childhood favorite, and is our family tradition for first ride (after the "grand circle tour" on the Railroad).
Having been to DL twice since the SM refub out there, I must agree that the DL version is FAR superior. I hate it when a favorite ride is down for my visit, but I'd gladly suffer a year or more shutdown of SM to get a version even close to that at DL.

CaptSmee
10-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Rode Space Mtn Ghost Galaxy 3 times last week! Amazing compared to WDW's lame Space Mtn! Smoother, faster, more thrilling! no comparison whatsoever!