PDA

View Full Version : MMVAs 2009

BelleKP
09-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow . . . that was an interesting show!!
Obviously the talk of the night was surrounding Kanye's disrespectful interruption of Taylor Swift's moment . . . thank goodness Beyonce is such a classy lady!!
I loved the performances by Green Day, Pink and Lady Gaga . . . she may be weird, but she really is super talented . . . pushes the envelope . . . similar to the way Madonna used to.
My favourite moment by far though was the opening tribute to Michael Jackson (and the sneak peak of the documentary!).
Overall, an entertaining show! :D
What did y'all think?

BelleKP
09-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Oh I forgot to mention how excited I was to see the new extended trailer for New Moon . . .
Although I may be too old for it :blush: I swoon for this series :cloud9:

SBETigg
09-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Lady Gaga is really amusing. I loved her outfits, so weird but fun to watch. Kanye was apparently asked to leave after his stage-stealing scene. I also enjoyed Green Day and Lady Gaga's performance. Not a big fan of Beyonce's music or Taylor Swift's but it was a good move for Beyonce to let Taylor have some time back to finish her thank you speech. Also not a fan of the MJ tributes, but of course they had to do it.

MNNHFLTX
09-14-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't usually watch this show, but as there was nothing else interesting on TV (can't wait for the fall season to start up!), I gave it a shot and found it pretty entertaining. As for the Kanye West thing, there is absolutely no excuse for what he did. My impression is that he is so full of self-importance and his own opinion that he took the thunder away from a 19-year-old girl. And then he offers a back-handed apology. What a loser. :shake:

BriarRose0708
09-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, it wouldn't be the VMAs if there was no drama. I thought Russell Brand was much better this time around than last year. I thought Pink had the best performance of the night! I don't regularly listen to country music but do enjoy Taylor Swift and was happy for her. Kudos to Beyonce for being sweet, but it almost looked too staged- Taylor was already back stage with a microphone in her hand when she came out at the end. I wonder if the producers set this up and told Beyonce she won before they announced the award so she could decide what to do. It was still a great gesture regardless. And a big YAY for MUSE playing from the new album. I'm kind of sad that they're not Europe's best kept secret anymore (thanks, Stephenie Meyer) but glad they're getting American recognition for being awesome!

DVC2004
09-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Kanye is such a loser. I hope he is no longer invited to any of these things.

sportsguy2315
09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm not defending Kanye, but without his little display none of us would be talking about the VMA's, right?

KylesMom
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
DS and I were flipping back & forth from the Bears/Packers game to the VMAs in hopes of catching the New Moon trailer. BelleKP, I'm more than certain you can't be too "old" for the Twilight Saga! :mickey: We caught a lot more than we bargained for!

Like BriarRose, I thought that Pink had the most engaging performance of the evening. As far as Kanye, what a loser. DS and I could not believe what a classless little man he is. I didn't realize until this morning that he was notorious for doing this type of thing at awards shows, but they need to start "uninviting" him to these shows where people gather to honor the artists, not hear Kanye spout! :mad:

MNNHFLTX
09-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I'm not defending Kanye, but without his little display none of us would be talking about the VMA's, right?Personally, I don't need the drama or hype that some people look for on these shows. And I honestly won't watch another one that Kanye West is invited to. It should be enough that there are some great performances and gracious speeches from the award-winners.

BriarRose0708
09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm not defending Kanye, but without his little display none of us would be talking about the VMA's, right?

Actually I think Lady Gaga's outfits would have us chattering away if we didn't have Kanye. You could see her sitting behind Beyonce at the end and she looked like she belonged with the Yeti on Everest! I admire her though, I wouldn't have the courage to wear what she does with such confidence.

MNNHFLTX
09-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Actually I think Lady Gaga's outfits would have us chattering away if we didn't have Kanye. You could see her sitting behind Beyonce at the end and she looked like she belonged with the Yeti on Everest!I thought maybe she stole a costume from a Lion King production! ;)

BelleKP
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm just tired of Kanye and his pompous ego!! I was tired of him when he said he was good enough to replace Michael Jackson as the new King of Pop . . . and I quote "There's nobody who can match me in sales and in respect so it only makes sense for me to take over Michael's crown and become the new King." :ack:

I haven't watched the VMA's in a few years . . . but tuned in last night to watch the opening number (tribute to MJ), and found myself continuing to watch after the first award. I was so hoping Kanye would win something, just so we could boo [him] off the stage.

offwego
09-15-2009, 11:57 AM
About the Beyonce/Taylor Swift speech at the end while not "staged" as in planned before the show it has been reported that Beyonce's father acted as a go between backstage between Taylor and Beyonce to try and "make this right" for her. (I don't see anything wrong in that Beyonce wouldn't be much able to do it herself between her performance and Taylor's and the camera watching her for the other nominations)

Apparently he approached her right after Taylor's performance and it in no way makes Beyonce any less classy (or Kanye any less foolish) to give Taylor a chance to plan for that etc.
He was clearly unsure of what to do on Leno's show and Leno really embarssed him when he asked Kanye what his mother would have said about that behaviour.

BelleKP
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Saw Taylor on the View today and she said that (although he has apologized publicly . . . ie; given himself more air time), he has yet to reach out to her and apologize in person.
Ego maniac. :mad:

SBETigg
09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Saw Taylor on the View today and she said that (although he has apologized publicly . . . ie; given himself more air time), he has yet to reach out to her and apologize in person.
Ego maniac. :mad:

Yes, thanks, I wondered that after the Leno apology. It didn't really seem that he was sincerely sorry about what he did as much as he was regretting the anti-Kanye backlash created by his actions. He started to say something about that he was just trying to keep to his vision of what award shows should be... and then he backtracked before he went all out and he corrected himself by saying that there was no excuse. But it still sounded like he was going to say something about people winning who didn't deserve it, which would have been so wrong.