PDA

View Full Version : Carousel of Progress

Georgesgirl1
09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I love COP but every year DH and I have to laugh at the final scene. It is so outdated! If you could redo the final scene, what would you do?

I would love to see it returned to the original final scene from the World's Fair. I know it would never happen, but I can dream...:mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I agree the final scene would be great if it were the original. I would also like to see them bring back "Now is the Time" for the last scene!:thumbsup:

PopeCharming
09-14-2009, 12:01 AM
Honestly? Why not bring back the panorama from Horizons where the father is playing music on the aeolian harp, and the mother is talking by holo-phone to the daughter, with the background of that futuristic landscape. It would have to be retooled a bit, but it could easily be done- and its much further in the future than the virtual reality video games in the current ending.

It would be a nice tip of the hat to deprived Horizons fans (as well as making things full circle, as CoP was, no doubt, Horizons' closest ancestor in the Magic Kingdom.

lindique
09-14-2009, 06:13 PM
I think they need to make the last scene something from the past. Otherwise, by the time the last scene is designed, built, installed, and tested, it will probably already have some outdated technology in it! Perhaps they could end it with the invention of the computer, like they did in Spaceship Earth.

Does anyone remember exactly what was in the last scene from the 1964 World's Fair?

Laughin' place
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Why not bring back the panorama from Horizons
What an awesome idea ? Are you listening Imagineering ??:thumbsup:

DisneyFanaticDargon
09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
I think they need to make the last scene something from the past. Otherwise, by the time the last scene is designed, built, installed, and tested, it will probably already have some outdated technology in it! Perhaps they could end it with the invention of the computer, like they did in Spaceship Earth.

Does anyone remember exactly what was in the last scene from the 1964 World's Fair?

The future through the eyes of the 1960's was the end of the original version. Think similar clothing styles with crazy technology that never wound up appearing.

Certain things in the finale of this are still TECHNICALLY not common place. Home virtual reality systems never caught on for example, especially not in the sense that they have in the show (on that note: what's the point of a VR system that displays the images on a TV anyway?)

Voice activated appliances have been done in a prototype sense but this is still a little ways off.

On the other hand look at that ridiculously outdated laptop and that "hi-def" 4:3 TV.

lindique
09-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Certain things in the finale of this are still TECHNICALLY not common place. Home virtual reality systems never caught on for example, especially not in the sense that they have in the show (on that note: what's the point of a VR system that displays the images on a TV anyway?)

Voice activated appliances have been done in a prototype sense but this is still a little ways off.

On the other hand look at that ridiculously outdated laptop and that "hi-def" 4:3 TV.
What always gets to me is the reference to the "Car Phone" - I wonder what year it was when we called them that? I guess the required antenna was so big that it had to be mounted on a car!

Daisy'sMom
09-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Wasn't the original last scene where Dad was making the "avec jambon", ham and eggs breakfast? I loved that one.:mickey:

Ian
09-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I have to agree. We saw the show twice last week and, while I love it for the nostalgia factor, I can tell you that virtually everyone I heard leaving the show was mocking it openly. And not in a nice way. :(

Personally, I think there are only three options for this show ...

Return it to its original state and leave it that way as an homage to Walt and the World's Fair.
Update the scenes ... I'd probably delete the 1st turn of the century scene completely and start with the 20's. Then I'd add back in what used to be the final scene from the 60's (maybe with some tweaks to accomodate the fact that it's no longer the final scene). Lastly, I'd add a finale scene that was ambiguous enough as to not age so rapidly. If you put stuff in there like Jetsons-type technology that will probably be safe for at least 20 or 30 years!
Remove the show entirely. I'm not personally advocating that option, because I think the show has some legitimate historical value to the Disney Company. However, realistically speaking, it probably costs a good bit to keep it going and it really draws a very minimal audience many of whom are walking away with a negative opinion of the show.
I feel bad, because again ... I love CoP. But it is just really showing its age and is in dramatic need for some serious TLC.

Christine
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I know that CM speak is not gospel in WDW, but about a year ago, a CM that was ringing up my purchase in Mickey's Star Traders asked me, "have you ridden CoP today?" I said no.

He said, "Well you better ride it while you can. The Smithsonian is buying it in a few years and it will be gone forever."

I'm not trying to spark rumour here or anything... just wondering if anyone else had heard this?

Ian
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
He said, "Well you better ride it while you can. The Smithsonian is buying it in a few years and it will be gone forever."

I'm not trying to spark rumour here or anything... just wondering if anyone else had heard this?Eh ... this rumor has been around for a long time, but I don't think it has any merit.

First ... what would the Smithsonian do with it? Do you have any idea how large that show building is? And even if they did somehow manage to fit it in one of their museums, wouldn't they want to continue allowing audiences to view the show? If not, what would be the point?

But no ... I highly doubt the Smithsonian would ever buy CoP. It just doesn't seem like something that would really be feasible.

SBETigg
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Kristin, I like your idea to go back to the original form, kind of a retro futuristic vision. That could be a lot of fun.

Daisy'sMom, not sure if that was the original, but it is the way I remember it best. We got stuck in that scene and went through it three times on my honeymoon. We still make little jokes with "avec jambon." I loved that one, too!