PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts in the home

pink
09-13-2009, 02:43 PM
So every once and awhile a ghost thread seems to pop up and since Halloween is on the horizon, I thought I would share a recent ghost story with my fellow Intercotees!

My family is fully convinced that our house is haunted as we have each encountered ghostly experiences in the home.
1)Voices of a man and a woman talking in different areas of the home, sounding sad.
2)Black shadows.
3)Cats hissing and dogs barking at the same closest for no reason.
4)Pictures of orbs in my bedroom.
5)Guests coming into our home telling us they feel creeped out or like they're being watched.
6)All of these ghostly experiences happen at 11 am, 11 pm or on the 11th.

Last summer, we checked up on the history of our house. It was originally built by a very rich man in the 1900's. He had to stop building in the middle of it because he ran out of money and then passed away. The house was abadoned and it became the house where homeless people lived at the same time there was a fire there and some people are believed to have passed away there. Very creepy stuff.

Well on Friday (the 11th) my mom was sitting home alone on the computer. Behind her she felt like someone was there but she thought it was one of our dogs until she heared someone sigh. She turned around and thought she saw an old man and then that was it.

Do you have any new ghost stories? We would love to hear about them. :mickey:

T-Belle
09-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Ooooo... spooky and great thread for the season!

DVC2004
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
When I was a teen I was home alone one day. I had been looking at one of those teeny bopper rock magazines (one that I had for a while and was pretty well worn, the pages did not fall open when the mag was dropped like sometimes the new magazines do) and when I was done I threw it on my bed and left the room. Later that day when I returned to my room to get something, I noticed the magazine was lying open on my bed. Now, I know I had not left it that way so I closed it and really didn't think too much more of it, and left the room again. About an hour or so later, I returned to find it open again!

So now this time, I began to feel scared. I was the only one home, there were no windows open and no fans going or heating/cooling system running or turned on. I closed the magazine once again and began to feel around the windows for a draft. I stood inside my room and opened and closed the door a few times (fast, slow, and everything in between) to see if that was creating a breeze that turned the pages- nope. Went outside the room and did the same thing with the door from the outside- again, nothing. So I left the room and didn't go back until my sister and mom came home.

I was telling my sister what had happened and we went into the room and found the magazine was open again! I started to get upset because I was very scared. My sister was scared too now. We closed the magazine and tried the same thing with the doors, with one of us inside the room and one of us outside the room. Nothing, magazine was closed. Finally we both waited a moment outside the door, then opened it slowly- and there it was again, wide open. I swear there was no explanation. My sister and I went to tell my mom -who didn't believe us and said we had made it up. Nonetheless, I would not sleep in the room for several nights and only ran in and out in the mornings to get my clothes.

Later that same week, there was a hideous smell in my room. It smelled like rotten eggs and b.o., and there was no reason. No other spot in the house smelled this way, it was not coming from outside, there was no food or dirty clothes or anything in my room that could have caused it. My mother came into my room and joked was I hiding a man under my bed (it was that strong). I told her I had no idea what it was. Later a friend told me that was the smell of sulfur (?) and maybe it was something evil. LOL I have no idea but I was scared. This time my mother did listen since she had smelled it herself and remarked. After that , nothing else happened. the smell went away as quickly as it had appeared. All I can say is my friend and I had made a makeshift, homemade Ouija board just the week before and we had not played it at my house (just hers), but strange things had also happened to her. I never touched one again after that.

Don't know what it was and probably never will, but it was very frightening to me at the time.

I do believe in ghosts and I have stayed in a few reportedly haunted hotels (including the Queen Mary), but I have never seen or heard anything. I do like a good ghost story though!:ghost:

Tinksalot
09-13-2009, 05:34 PM
I was only 4 years old when I experienced a ghost in our house. Being only 4, I didn't know anything about "spirits" or "ghosts". I had told my mom that I saw someone in the entry way of our home. She thought I was talking about a "pretend friend" or whatever. But when I described the person I kept seeing, she said I saw her mother who had been dead for about 20 years. I never even saw a picture of her, but described her just as if I knew exactly who she was.

I LoveJack
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
The house were I used to live was haunted. You would here someone walking around in the hallway when there was no one there. Things would turn themselves on by themselves. Stuff would come up missing and finally reappear days later right in plain view where you knew it wasn't the night before. I even have pictures of one streaking across the room when I was taking some pictures of my daughter.
But the scariest thing that happened was one night something had hit my waterbed hard enough to wake me up from the movement. Then it sounded like every door in the house slammed shut at once. The noise woke up my hubby and he wanted to know what had happened. I told him it must of been the cat even though I knew the cat wasn't in the bedroom with us. He wanted me to get up and go check it out. DON"T THINK SO! I hid under the covers and finally went back to sleep. The next day when we got up all the doors in the other rooms were opened just like we had left them so not quite sure what had happened. But we did tell the people who bought our house that we felt it was haunted. Turned out that 3 people had died there, due to old age or health problems. So it may have been one of them.

Dakota Rose
09-13-2009, 10:33 PM
My childhood home had a ghost, the man who lived there before us, Mr. Marx. We always had the "being watched" feeling and there were always odd, unaccounted for noises from other rooms.

Some highlights of my experiences:

-the feeling of someone sitting down at the foot of my bed after I came home late one night as a teenager.

-hearing footsteps down the hall and my mom calling out, "Get back in bed, Kristy." "I am in bed, mom."

-the kitchen filling with cigarette smoke smell as we ate breakfast -- no one in my family smoked.

And my personal favorite:
I was in college and stopped by my house after class one day to check the mail. As I walked up the front steps, I heard the shower and the radio on in my parents bedroom. Walked in, still heard it, called out "Hello?" No answer. Checked the garage, no one was home. Left as fast as I could. When we all came home a few hours later, the radio was off but the shower stall in my parents bathroom was still wet.

Eventually, I began talking to Mr. Marx. I would say, "Hello Mr. Marx. You're scaring me, please stop." And he would.

Joannelet
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
My younger sister and I shared a room upstairs in our house. My older sister's room was next to ours and my brothers was on the other side of the hall (the hall was a small hallway and in the shape of an octagon....)
Anyways we can all see the hallway from our rooms.
Everynight I would see a "cloudy family" in the hallway. There would be a guy climbing a ladder painting the wall (I knew he was the daddy because he had a boy and a little girl by the bottom of the ladder. And whom I assumed was their mom would be looking into my room from my older sisters room (I never saw her whole body just her head and shoulder length hair) I had to be around 6 years old when I noticed them, they were there everynight and as a matter of fact I never said anything to anyone because they were never scary, they never entered my room and they all had smiley faces on! LOL and in reality I guess I just assumed that it was all my imagination or my eyes playing tricks on me...
Then one day I was eating lunch with my younger sister in the kitchen (she is the one I shared the bedroom with) My mom is washing the dishes listen to me and my sister talk.
All of a sudden (and I can't even recall what we were talking about) my younger sister goes (she was 5!) yeah just like the people in the hallway! I was like WHAT? YOU SEE THEM TOO!!!??? and my mom dropped the dish that was in her hand....sat down and was like what people do you see?
We told her and she ended up telling us that the guy who use to own the house was a painter...they had a son and a daughter and their mom slept in my older sisters room!!
The only thing my mom could not understand was that the only one that had been dead was the mom though..she died while she was residing in our house.....so my mom didn't understand why or how we were seeing the dad and the two kids...(who were no longer children at this time)
Anyways, strange things started to happen years after that with things going on without turning them on. Appliances not shutting off when pressing off. Footsteps....there were always footsteps.
My dad had taken us out and my mom was home taking a bath when she heard the door downstairs creak and footsteps walking around downstairs. She yelled YOU GUYS ARE BACK ALREADY!? and no answer. THe footsteps continued so she got out of the bath, got dressed, ran downstairs and no one was there.....(she was really scared!)
She got the house blessed by a priest (as we are catholic) and ever since that everything stopped....

Hull-onian
09-14-2009, 02:40 PM
These stories are great. My cat Kabuki is still around. Things get moved and shifted all the time, like pillows being flipped and lumps under blankets, Sometimes his toys will appear (gee, like magic). We always feel as though Valentino is still here too. At night you can feel him walking across the bottom of the bed. I don't think of it as creepy, it's sort of they had such a good home here they don't want to leave yet.:cloud9:

Tinkerbella
09-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I've never actually seen a 'ghost', 'spirit' or whatever. However, I know for a fact that I have been visited by an angel or spirit if you will in my sleep.

Back in 2002 my best friend, Stephi, was killed in a horrific car accident my junior year of high school. I was devestated beyond belief after that. I felt a sense of guilt and as though I did not get closure as I had not been at school the day she died. I felt cheated at not being able to say 'goodbye' and struggled with that for a long time.

Anyways, it was a few months after the accident when I had a dream, or what I think was a dream. Who knows what it was?! In this dream Stephi and I were standing in her living room. I was so elated and shocked and asked her "Stephi, I thought you died! Where have you been?" She told me that she was dead and that she couldn't been on earth with me anymore. She also told me that she had come to say 'goodbye' since neither of us had had a chance to before her death. Then she hugged me and she felt so real. I begged her stay with me but she told me that she had just come to say 'goodbye' and that she would not be able to see me again after that. I have not dreamt/seen her since. I was never afraid or scared at any point. I was far too happy to question what was going on. I still pray/wish she'd come back just one more time for me to get another hug but I understand now that she gave me closure. I'm crying as I type this :cry:

beksy
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I was only 4 years old when I experienced a ghost in our house. Being only 4, I didn't know anything about "spirits" or "ghosts". I had told my mom that I saw someone in the entry way of our home. She thought I was talking about a "pretend friend" or whatever. But when I described the person I kept seeing, she said I saw her mother who had been dead for about 20 years. I never even saw a picture of her, but described her just as if I knew exactly who she was.

I had the same thing happen to me when I was about 8, but the person that I saw was my grandfather. He died a year before I was born but anytime my parents, sister, or I are sick I either catch a glimpse of him or just "feel" him there kind of like a guardian angel watching over us. It turns out he always wanted daughters but just had sons. Dad was his favorite and he loved Mom like a daughter; now we are his only grandaughters so it is a good feeling rather than a scary one.

Like the pp, my Mom had an experience with a guardian angel. She didn't know who she was and the angel didn't speak but Mom was feeling really bad and she woke up for no reason to see what she describes as a beautiful, kind of glowing, young lady that she is convinced is her guardian angel looking out for her.

This is a great thread for the season! :hmghost: :ghost:

prprincess
09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
I consider myself "sensitive" so I have really too many experiences to write about. But one that has been on my mind lately is this one.

About 7 years ago, right after DH and I were married, we purchased a house. We hadn't had our sons yet. We were having new furniture delivered, and one of the delivery men came in and asked us where our little boy was. We told him that we didn't have any children, and he said, that's odd--I could have sworn I saw a little boy looking out your window at us.

After that people would come to our house all the time asking if we were babysitting because they saw a boy looking out the window. Even after we had our son, my mother would sometimes come over and ask where he was because she'd see him looking out the window.

Then when we moved to our new home about 3 years ago my DS1 told me that he wanted to go back to our old house and see the little boy. I guess he's sensitive too. EEK!

Boojum
09-16-2009, 04:20 PM
I've told my experiences of seeing my father, so I won't repeat them.

My DH was in a fraternity at a smaller school in Tennessee. The frat house was haunted by a ghost they all called "Howdy," because it would actually say "howdy!" to the guys who lived there.
Howdy was also known to mess with stuff.

DH woke up one night to the sound of his mini-fridge being opened and slammed, opened and slammed, over and over. He lay there and watched it a few seconds, then said "Don't **** with me, Howdy." Said the door immediately stopped opening. Brrrr.