PDA

View Full Version : epcot and kids

pokci
09-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't have kids but I love WDW. And I particularly love EPCOT. Am I the only one who thinks that by modifying EPCOT to add more child friendly things has diminished its attractiveness to grown up "kids"? I love Akershus but have no desire to have a photo with a princess nor do I want my meal disturbed by characters - I dine with my own set of characters! :D The Living Seas was more interesting before Nemo came along, though I admit I adore Turtle Talk with Crush. I have nothing against kids or families with kids but the way I see it, not everything in the whole Disney World has to be kid oriented... Please tell me I'm not alone on this one? :confused:

SBETigg
09-12-2009, 11:13 PM
I was thrilled they were adding a ride-through back to the Living Seas, though not as thrilled with the results. Still, I didn't find it took anything away from the pavilion. I've never been a fan of Akershus, and I think the character dining might actually be a good thing there. A lot of adults actually do enjoy dining with characters, especially the princesses (not me so much, but it's there for others and maybe it opens up space at my preferred restaurants).

Yes, Epcot has always been more adult-friendly, and they have added some things geared toward kids. But there's not a whole lot there for little ones and what little they have doesn't take away from my experience at all. So, apparently, I don't agree with you, unfortunately. But maybe someone else will!

DVC2004
09-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Well, I do like the Nemo update to Living Seas. I think it needed a little shot in arm so to speak. Most of us don't like to see the old stuff go at any of the parks; it's like losing a little piece of nostalgia. I don't really feel that Epcot has done alot of changes for kids.

On the other hand, I think the addition of the Hundred Acre Wood play area at MK (where 20K Leagues used to be) was terrible and a waste of space. I think that spot would be much better with some sort of attraction. The parks do not need any more playgrounds or character meet and greet spots. I was, and still am, very disappointed in that one.

green ranger
09-12-2009, 11:14 PM
My husband and I went to Disney twice as adults before we had children and didn't even think of how things were geared for kids. We really enjoyed everything...even the character meals! I remember a character meal where we had so much fun with Chip and Dale! We still talk about it. I think the characters are pretty good with reading whether a table wants the characters to pay much attention to them or not. I have seen characters just wave and pass by tables that didn't want anything to do with them. I don't think you need to have children to love any part of WDW. I think WDW brings the kid out in all of us no matter what age we are.

Tigerinvestigator
09-12-2009, 11:42 PM
We have three daughters ranging from 5-12 yrs and our whole family prefers Epcot over the other parks. Personally I feel it has to be balanced for everyone to enjoy it no matter your age. If someone wanted a park geared toward adults, Islands of Adventure is right down the road and the six flags parks across the country have more adult rides. I think Epcot is probably more balanced than any of the Disney parks. Akershus is the only character meal in WS (unless I'm forgetting one) with the exception of appearances by a certain rat in France.:thumbsup:

SBETigg
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Akershus is the only character meal in WS (unless I'm forgetting one) with the exception of appearances by a certain rat in France.:thumbsup:

There's also Garden Grill, and the rat has apparently moved out of Epcot and on to Tokyo (though I would have enjoyed him, even as an adult). Still, I have no problem with character meals though I don't usually go to them without kids. It's a great way for adults interested in characters to meet the characters without having to stand in line with kids for the meet and greets, and lots of adults actually are interested in the characters, it seems. Part of that "Disney brings out the kid in all of us" appeal, I suppose.

KatrinaJ91
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I think you are alone on this one! My husband and I love everything about Disney World and one of the best things is the characters and having fun. I like getting my picture taken with the characters as much as the kids! We love Epcot no matter what they do...we enjoy the "adult" activities as well as the more kid-friendly additions. Let your inner child out!! :mickey:

Joannelet
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
There are still very few rides for children in Epcot. I remember when I was little my siblings and I didn't like Epcot too much. Only because it was too educational for our liking! :) and not that many interesting things for us to ride....
Now as an adult I ADORE Epcot and I think its truly amazing. With that being said, I am happy that they are giving something for the kiddies to do while in the park so that people with kids can still get into Epcot without having complaining kids all day :)
I just had my first child in November so for me to go to Epcot is still very important. I am glad that my son will be able to do something there and enjoy it as well.
I still think its an amazing place for childless couples though too! I was you not that long ago and LOVE LOVE LOVE epcot despite some of the kidlike changes :)
Disney brings out the kid in all of us. I too loved riding Nemo without a child :) I did all that stuff and my son has not been to Epcot yet (just MK). So enjoy being a kid without kids. Its still fun and its whatever you make of it! :)
Enjoy!

coneygoil
09-14-2009, 09:12 AM
I adore character dining, so I'm not even going to go there.

But I have had the same complant about too many character themes being added. I know it's Disney, but I don't think Walt had invisions nearly everything at the World to have his characters faces all over it, especially Epcot.

When I was a kid, I enjoyed Epcot for what it was. There were all the slow rides like World of Motion and I liked all of them! I never thought of them as educational. Though I wasn't too interesting in World Showcase until I was in my late teens. I finally started appreciating WS for it's greatness and now it's one of my favorite things to do at WDW!

stitchaholic
09-14-2009, 09:29 AM
fisrt i will say that I LOVE STITCH AND MICKEY AND PLUTO AND.....although i don't often admit it,i get more excited than my kids about characters.
epcot is also one of my favorite WD zones and i am thrilled that there are attractions there that will attract my children so i can enjot as much time there as possible.

Imagineer1981
09-14-2009, 01:08 PM
WDW is designed for FAMILIES...not just adults and not just kids. If they felt EPCOT was too adult oriented then they needed to kid it up some more. I know plenty of adults who skip fantasyland because they think its just for kids, and I know families that skip World Showcase because they think its boring. WDW has something for everyone

pokci
09-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I find it amusing to see how deep passions run. I was simply putting out a query but I'm quite fine with being in a small minority! :secret: As I said in my original post, I have nothing against kids or families with kids. And I've been to WDW 19 times so clearly I adore the place. I guess I just miss the "old" EPCOT, as someone alluded to. :)

Laughin' place
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
I think an argument can be made that EPCOT hasnt necessarily been changed for children, but, rather, just "dumbed down". I still love EPCOT, but I feel that its educational/exploration/future aspect has been pushed aside a bit.
Now, there are lots of adults (me in front of the line), that love characters, feature movies and tie ins, etc. But Id rather ride a hydrolator to the ocean floor and into the future . . . or have the old SE narration that didnt spoon-feed the content to me. Im not even sure that El Rio was redone for kids (how many of them know the Three Caballeros). I can see that many of the changes MAY have been meant to appeal to the kids, but maybe they werent. Maybe WDW was just aiming a little lower.

pokci
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you Laughin'Place! :thumbsup: I can agree that perhaps it's the "dumbing down" of EPCOT that I find disappointing. I loved the old movie just before the hydrolators, and I liked the old turning blocks screen at Energy and Food Rocks was great. Wonders of Life was awesome. It's sad that Disney must have felt that EPCOT might have been too boring or too difficult to understand and not entertaining enough! I loved it then. Won't stop me from coming back as often as possible but the charm and the educational aspects are a bit bruised. :(

Just a few more weeks until I'm back "home"! :cloud9: