PDA

View Full Version : Second guessing my 1900 Park Fare dinner... thoughts?

hope23
09-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Trying to find something close to MK for a fun and yummy dinner in early December with DH, DS 5 and DS 4... 'Ohana was booked so I got an ADR for 1900 Park Fare dinner. I've seen mixed reviews about this dining experience... both food and characters, and I'm wondering what you think for the food and characters with 2 young boys? Thanks!

buzznwoodysmom
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
We had dinner here two years ago during Thanksgiving week. I have two boys as well, who were 7 and 5 at the time. We only ate there because we were with extended family who had two girls. My boys weren't impressed at all with the characters and asked multiple times why we were having dinner with these characters. The food didn't make our experience any better. It was the worst meal we've ever had in WDW. We had a party of about 15 and no one liked the food. My brother and his family visited a few months later and had dinner here as it was the only princess meal they could get and they did not enjoy the food either.

Have you tried to book Chef MIckey's for dinner? I think your boys would prefer that meal, and its close to MK. I'd also suggest Kona Cafe, or Whispering Canyon Cafe. Both are wonderful (although no characters) and only a monorail, or boat ride away from MK.

faline
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
We did this for the first time last year. While not a big fan of buffets, we found the food here to be quite good.

Two boys might find this quite fun. Although Cinderella appears here, we also saw Prince Charming - the boys might like seeing him. Even more fun, though, are the Stepsisters and Stepmother. They are lots of fun and I'll bet the boys will enjoy them!

Tinksalot
09-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Have you tried Chef Mickey's? The kids always have alot of fun there. :mickey:

GoofyforFun
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Have you tried Chef Mickey's? The kids always have alot of fun there. :mickey:

We also did 1900 but we had DD9, DD 7, DS 3 Food was ok. more fun at CM

lighteningqueen
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
1900 Park faire has the best buffet for breakfast, but what about Tusker in Animal Kingdom? We did it for Breakfast and found it to be the best breakfast buffet in all the parks. I have heard their dinner is quite good. You might think of that. Chef Mickeys is very bland food if you like some taste to it. Its ok for characters and does take them awhile to get to your table. Crystal Palace has characters not sure how dinner would be but breakfast was another hit with us.

LiloLovesTheKing26
09-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I did not care for 1900 park fare. The food was just so so. Characters were Cinderella, her step mother and step sisters and fairy godmother. We were there a good hour and never got to meet Cinderella or Fairy Godmother. We were on the dining plan thank goodness but our bill for 3 adults was over $100!!! Which if you go by what they want you to tip on the bill was over $20. Our server brought us one round of Ice Tea and that was it.

If you want something close to MK I would go with Chef Mickey's or mayber Liberty Tavern. It's not a character meal anymore but they have good basic food all young boys will be sure to love!!

MistressGracey
09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary was fun! Also, I always liked the idea of eating dinner IN the MK, maybe at Crystal Palace...that may be a nice option for your family as well.

I know what you mean about Ohana...I called 90 days out and just barely got an ADR---and it's for 9:30 PM! This would never have worked if our kids were small...

Have fun on your trip!

redlegwife96
09-12-2009, 10:02 AM
We did 1900 Park Fare last year. The food was decent. It was typical American buffet selections. There were characters in the dining room the whole time we were there. That can be a plus or a minus...we were interrupted so many times at the table that the children did not eat. We did get our fill of characters. My DD wanted a picture with the wicked Stepmother, but the character scowled at her and kept going. Not sure if it was part of the act, but DD wasn't sure what to think. The one problem with Park Fare is that the way the dining room is set up causes the noise to be amplified more than anywhere else we ate. It was LOUD...I mean dull roar at all times. But if you can't get in anywhere else, it's not a bad place to go. My kids enjoyed it, and we did get some great pictures with the Stepsisters...they were funny.

Have a wonderful time!:mickey:

SBETigg
09-12-2009, 03:02 PM
With boys, I would probably choose something else. The stepsisters are supposed to be very funny, but I'm not sure my son would have gotten into anything involving princesses. Whispering Canyon Cafe might be a good choice. Grand Floridian Cafe wouldn't be as fun, but does have really good food and it's close. You can go to Kona Cafe instead of 'Ohana and still soak in some of the Poly's atmosphere, though not as much fun as 'Ohana. If you think the boys would enjoy a character meal and you'll be in the MK, perhaps Crystal Palace, Pooh characters. Though, of course, there's still a good chance that your boys will like 1900 Park Fare and the characters, and perhaps it's worth a shot if you like buffets.

WorldTraveler
09-12-2009, 04:03 PM
I also would say to try Chef Mickey's, if that does not work, Grand Florinian Cafe has a chocolate fondue for dessert. Kona Cafe also no lists chocolate fondue but we have not had it there yet. We love both of these restaurants with Kona Cafe being one of our favorite spots on property.
If you are going to spend the money for a character buffet, CM is much better.

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
09-12-2009, 09:17 PM
We ate here last fall and it was by far the best buffet meal we had while at WDW! It was so good that we had to have the recipe for their prime rib and sauce. Cinderella, Prince Charming,The Wicked Step Sisters & the Fairy God Mother were there. We got pics with all of them and even got to see Cinderella & the Prince dance. Really special! We made sure to book this for our trip in December. It was a must for us!!

Dawn,Denise&Diane:wave::wave::wave:

DisneyRN
09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I know what you mean about Ohana...I called 90 days out and just barely got an ADR---and it's for 9:30 PM! This would never have worked if our kids were small...

Have fun on your trip!

Same thing happened to me when I called to get ADR's for our very first night...9:30pm. :confused:

So, now I am left with an opening for dinner on our very first night. :confused: