PDA

View Full Version : walking path to Contemporary

Suz36
09-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Is the walking path from MK to the Contemporary easy to find? Is it well lit/safe at night? Thanks!

wdwnutz
09-10-2009, 11:54 PM
The sidewalk is right across from where the buses load. We walked from MK to the Cont., with a stroller for dinner at Chef Mickey's. The walk is longer than you think, plus you have to cross the road where the buses turn into MK then cross Cont. parking lot. Not safe considering the bus, taxi etc. traffic especially if you are walking with kids. I definitely would not do it again and would wait for the monorail.

Pirate Granny
09-11-2009, 12:10 AM
We do the walk all the time...it's not that far and it's a great way to unwind after the day. We especially use the path if we want to catch a cab back to our hotel or avoid the bus lines. There is a light at the two lane (one each way) where you have to cross the street, so we didn't find it that dangerous. We've done the walk very late at night (New Years Eve) and it's well lite. Try it...We like the decompression.
:pirate:

hardingella
09-11-2009, 05:29 AM
We walked the path too after eating at Chef Mickey with DD9 DS7, and it was dark, no problem!.It was relaxing, peaceful and also fun as we got to watch the monorail go by over us.I seem to remember the path next to MK have a rail on one side so you couldnt go on the road. And just like you would do at any other crossing keep your children with you (not running about) and its as safe as it can be. IMO i think that waiting in line for the busses is more dangerous, with kids ducking and diving under the rail:mickey:

MinnieMommie
09-11-2009, 06:00 AM
We use the walkway to go in and out of the MK whenever we stay at CR and consider it a perk of staying at CR. We love this walk. It is quick, peaceful and have found it safe. We don't cross where the buses are but we stay on the MK side of the walkway (stay on the sidewalk on the MK side). We had never considered this walk unsafe when our children were young. :mickey:

Tippy
09-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Hi we stayed at the Contemp in April 2007 with our too DD's (4 & 7). We loved the walking option and took it many times to the MK instead of the monorail. I did not think the traffic was too bad at the crossing there are lights to let you know when to walk. We decided to stay at Poly this year and I am concerned I will miss this walking path.

Mousemates
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
We LOVE the footpath to the CR....there is nothing quite like being able to walk home at night after a day in the parks. We have never felt unsafe in any way and found the path to be well illuminated (say along the lines of the footpath from Hollywood Studios to the Boardwalk). As for traffic, if your children are of an age to where you are comfortable walking on a sidewalk and obeying cross walk signals you will do just fine.

DisneyHoneymooners
09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
We always make ADRs at California Grill at 9pm so we can see Spectromagic beforehand. And while everyone's jamming into the monrail my DH and I are enjoying a pretty peaceful stroll on the walking path.

Imagineer1981
09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
The path is nice and wide and well lit, it just is a long walk when you are tired!

ThanxForNoticin
09-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I agree with most everyone else - it's a pretty simple walk, well lit, and very safe. Even where you need to cross the road, it's at a traffic light with a crosswalk. It is very definitely a perk of staying at CR and BLT.

KylesMom
09-11-2009, 11:02 PM
DS and I have walked that path at 1 am after EMH & we've always felt perfectly safe. The walking path, in my family's opinion, is one of the highlights of staying at the CR. No waiting for buses, monorails, boats or the like.

ransam
09-12-2009, 04:24 AM
i have never walked it at night, but the day walk is awesome. very relaxin and beautiful.

A Big Kid
09-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Chalk me up on the postive side of the walk. It is at least as fast as the monorail, easily accessed, and as safe as any walk in WDW. We use it whenever possible.

wdwfansince75
09-12-2009, 02:19 PM
The Walk was one of the reasons that we usually requested the North Garden Wing for our CR stays. The first time we used it was during one of our 80's trips, when, for some reason, the lines for the monorail were practically back into the park....and the monorail was stopped between MK and CR....we were tired, the kids were tired, and we could see the lights from our room....so we turned left, and walked. That was before the other resorts were built. There were no bus stops in front of the MK....the buses to off site hotels and to the area around DTD departed the TTC....Since then, on many of our trips, our first group picture has the Contemporary in the background, as we walked to MK.

Also note that the road crossing does have a Walk/Don't Walk signal, with a command button to change ...all my grandkids rush to be the one to press the button!

LudwigVonDrake
09-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Coming out of the main gates at MK the sidewalk is to your left. If you're not sure just ask a CM and they'll point you in the right direction :mickey: