PDA

View Full Version : Disney is so making me mad

Robert's Dad
09-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I got an e-mail yesterday from Disney’s “Who’s the Fairest of them All?” contest, you can win a 5 day 4 night vacation to the world and other fun Princess Items go along with it. :party2:
Here is my problem, I have a DS 5 he like his DM & DD lives and breathes Disney. :mickey: My wife and I went the world on our honeymoon, we took DS when we was 1 ½ to the world, and last year we made the trip to Disneyland. His room is done in Lighting McQueen; he has no kidding 20 stuffed Mickey’s (including a Pal Mickey):mickey: Donald, Minnie, Goofy, & Daisy stuffed animals. He has all of the Mickey Mouse club house toys, as well as the Handy Manny toys. There is not day that goes by that he does not ask me when are we going to go to Disney world? Why is it that everything Disney does is for the girls? I mean I have nothing against girls, in fact I married one, and I like her a lot. But Disney gives boy’s the shaft, they do not get the same level of experiences that the girls get. Disney how about showing the boys some love for a change!

tink179
09-10-2009, 02:38 PM
I know what you mean...while I have a DD3 I also have 2 DS's 6 and turning 9 next week. They have added a pirates league for boys. It's like BBBoutique in the castle for girls. That's what my boys are doing on our trip next week.

KylesMom
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I've been sayin' the same thing for years . . . I feel your pain!

coneygoil
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I think Disney has tried in the past to cater for boys, but just didn't try hard enough and sort of gave up on the idea. But with the whole Marvel deal, maybe there will be more boy stuff in the parks!

Ian
09-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I just don't think the boy market for Disney products is as hot as the girl market is. That's the only way I can explain how badly they ignore the boy market.

I will say, though, that Cars is probably the hottest overall property Disney has had in years (reportedly over $3 billion in consumer products sales since its release) and that's primarly a boy market.

They seem to ignore it outside of the toys, though.

Phantod
09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Trying going to a local Disney Store. We have a brand new 6 mo old grandson that we'd love to buy some clothes for. Anything there? Nope all princess stuff, <sigh>.

Of course, the cool clothes for infants under a year is pretty lame period.

Mickey'sGirl
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Disney has tried in the past to cater for boys, but just didn't try hard enough and sort of gave up on the idea. But with the whole Marvel deal, maybe there will be more boy stuff in the parks!
I agree! What a fabulous addition to the Disney family -- to cover a much neglected 6-15 year old male market! :thumbsup: (Jasmine seems to cover the 15+ male market just fine!).

Robert's Dad
09-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I just talked to my wife, she will not let me dress him up like a Princess! :thedolls:I know that he would do it for a free trip :D, but you have to respect the "Mommie"

SallyMcQueen
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a DD5 and DS2 and I know what you mean about more girl geared products than boys. He's got his fair share of Cars and Incredibles items, but.....on occassion (don't tell) he asks to watch the princess movies. He's sister has him brainwashed. Kid doesn't even put up a fight when DD asks to watch Little Mermaid for the 15th time. At least he'll have an "in" with the ladies when he hits kindergarten.

Andys5Toys
09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I am right there with you. We have 3 boys ourselves, and it seems like there are more things tailored for the Girls. But as others have said, that is clearly where the money comes from, so that's fine.

We just find our own fun and are content to let the girls and their parents have their own fun as well.

Robert's Dad
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Mine has started to watch Cinderella 3, and likes it.:blush: I feel that they are worse things, like Stich. Disney needs to start marketing to boys around my son’s age, they are the ones that have been watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse since they can walk. Before Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, most kids had no clue who Mickey:mickey: was

azcavalier
09-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I thought that was the sole purpose of Jessica Rabbit...

dtootsie42
09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I don't have any boys, I have three daughters, but we have often commented on how there is so much for the girls and not enough for the boys. I can certainly understand why you feel this way and hopefully it will change in the future.

brownie
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
I feel your pain, too! We have two sons, so when I looked at the sweepstakes and saw it was for princesses, I just closed the paged. Maybe they'll offer something boys can enter some day.

Speedy1998
09-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I think it is solely a money issue. Simply put I bet Disney has found that the Princess stuff sells better. My wife is a high school teacher, and she says the girls in high school are still wearing Princess stuff.

Mousemates
09-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Disney how about showing the boys some love for a change!

As others have noted...see purchase of Marvel Comics...which is an obvious first step towards bringing more boys into the Disney fold.

prprincess
09-11-2009, 08:58 AM
This has bothered me for quite sometime, since I have two boys. But I know that the Princess items are bigger sellers, so of course, they're going to put more focus on them.

I just look at it this way, as long as I don't slight my boys, everything's fine!

cer
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I have both a girl and a boy and we do not feel slighted in the least. We don't usually participate in the events slated to one gender over another - and frankly do not miss them....and we find PLENTY more than we could ever possibly hope to afford or have time for -

Tigger's Mom
09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
I've always felt the boys got slighted too! My DS7 has even asked why there's so much princess stuff. He has girl cousins and has seen all the princesses, but they're definitely not his favorite.

TheVBs
09-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I just talked to my wife, she will not let me dress him up like a Princess! :thedolls:I know that he would do it for a free trip :D, but you have to respect the "Mommie"

Why not dress him up as a Prince? Why should he be excluded from entering the contest, just because he's a boy?

Robert's Dad
09-12-2009, 09:59 PM
true, to go to world I think that he would stand on his head. I know would do the whole trip, but going to the hair salon

dmosher
09-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Perhaps this contest is a bit unfair, but as for catering to younger boys, I think Disney does a decent job. generally young boys don't see Disney as being cool (after a very young age), so it is hard to market directly to them. With Pirates, I think they pulled out all they could and the new "pirates league" certainly does this as well. The truth is that Disney is synonymous with fairy-tales and princess now and that is what sells. At least we boys type rides, etc!
:pipes:
D