PDA

View Full Version : Where are the honest people??? VENT!!!

SurferStitch
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I was just at JC Penney this evening, and I went in the junior's dressing room to try on a top.

I had a very nice ring on that I just bought. Very intricate, and loaded with crystals. I didn't pay much for it, but it was brand new, and I loved it.

Well, I took it off and sat it next to my purse so I wouldn't pull or snag my sweater or the top I tried on (has some parts that stick out). Wouldn't you know it, I forgot to put the ring back on, and left. I can't believe I didn't notice it missing (it's pretty big), but it took me almost 90 minutes to realize it was gone. I'm such a dolt.

Well, you guessed it...it was LONG GONE, baby. Nobody turned it in at the register in the junior's department, or lost and found, and it wasn't in the room anymore. I was so bummed. DH told me to just order another one (got it on HSN), but I didn't feel like paying double for a ring! I did order it just a few minutes ago, but I feel so bad. At least I found a coupon code to save me some money.

I could NEVER keep something I found like that. Where is the honesty and integrity anymore? Are people like me really the minority? I absolutely despise dishonest people, and tonight just sent me over the edge. It just makes me sick. :mad: My mother would have KILLED me if I had kept something like that. She was never a believer in "finders keepers".

Okay, I feel a little better now. Well, not really, but I will.

SBETigg
09-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Very disappointing. I'm glad it wasn't prohibitively expensive, but sad that no one turned it in.

Phantod
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Unfortunately, that's the society we live in in this country. No one is taught morals any more.

Sorry for your loss.:(

nicster
09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I learned a loooong time ago, put it in your purse... our button down pocket. It is too easy to overlook jewelry. So hard to learn those lessons.

SurferStitch
09-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah, I know...I was stupid. One of those "I've done it a thousand times" things. Guess I was due.

I was just hoping someone was as honest as I was stupid.

I guess I put too much faith in people.

gerald72
09-10-2009, 07:15 AM
You aren't paying double for a ring.
You are paying once for the ring, and once for a lesson learned!

vicster
09-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Honest people are out there. I lost diamond earrings at work last year. I had put them in my pocket as I had to take them out for a dental appointment for x-rays. Well, my pocket had a hole in it and they fell out. Of course it was on a Friday and I didn' t notice it until Friday nite. Monday at work I spread the word that I had lost earrings. I wasn't sure where I lost them - could've been at the dentist's office. An employee did find them on the sidewalk outside and returned them to me. They were very precious to me as my husband bought them for me for our anniversary.

Also a lesson learned not to put jewelry in my pocket!

SurferStitch
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
You aren't paying double for a ring.
You are paying once for the ring, and once for a lesson learned!

Yeah, and that lesson is don't put any faith in the morality of the public. ;)

Because, ultimately, if the person who found it had any morals or a shred of honesty, they would have given it to the employee working that area, or to lost and found. Then again, maybe they did, and an employee decided to keep it. Either way, somebody decided it was alright to steal it.

I just hope my new ring looks as good as the one that was stolen.

Madame Leona
09-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I hate to play devil's advocate but is it possible that you knocked the ring down when you picked up your purse. If someone was cleaning the fitting room and not paying attention, it could have been sucked up in a vaccuum or kicked into a corner under a bench where nobody has found it yet. I would just like to think the world is more honest than dishonest. It's seems much easier to think the worst of people than hope for the best. It's something I've been trying to work on every day.

magicofdisney
09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
A very similar thing has happened to me twice now. One time I lost an earring that was pulled off when trying on a sweater. I didn't notice till later in the day. I went back to the store to look for it but never found it. My husband had just given them to me for Valentine. Hopefully that one lone earring has brightened the ear of some individual, somewhere.

Another time I lost my engagement ring (that I still wore with my wedding band) in a department store. I don't remember how it fell off but I remember hearing it hit the floor. My daughters and I looked everywhere imaginable for it. We couldn't find it anywhere so I finally turned to a sales associate for help. The best she could offer was to call me if anyone turned it in. I was sick with dispair. I knew the chances of that were about nill to none.

The next day I was still depressed and decided I would scour the floor on hands and knees until I found that ring (I believe we left the store at closing the day before and I showed up at opening the next day). Believe it or not, I found the ring about 6-8 racks away from where it fell.

I know I was truly blessed that day. But I understand that sinking feeling you had when you realized your ring was gone.

SurferStitch
09-10-2009, 09:58 PM
I thought about possibly knocking it off the bench, but it was a big ring, and I would have heard it fall. Also, nobody cleaned in there during that time (I asked). It probably would have made a horrible racket if it went up a vacuum anyway!

Also, the way the room was laid out made it almost impossible to miss if it fell on the floor. Very small room, walls to the ground, and the door would have opened over the ring (was about an inch or so off the floor). I would have seen it. Besides, we searched the floor (all 16 sq.ft. of it), and it wasn't there.

Nope, it just sat out in the open begging to be stolen. I was back at the mall tonight to return a top I bought last night. The kicker is, I grabbed that top AFTER I left the dressing room, and didn't feel like going back in to try it on! If I had, I would have seen my ring, and saved all of this aggravation! ARRRGHHH!!!!! I checked again just to see if anyone had a change of heart and turned it in. My DH said I give people too much credit. He's right. It wasn't there.

RenDuran
09-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Sorry about your ring. That really stinks.

There are plenty of good people around that would have turned it in...there just weren't any that day at the store!

merlinmagic4
09-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Sorry about your ring :( I'm still bitter about my camera not being turned in at Disney this year!

kcrc
09-11-2009, 08:33 AM
And on the flip side...

We had ordered something for my son from a very well-known internet site. We received it, but admittedly did not open the package until about a month later, when we were ready to wrap it for his birthday. When we opened things up, we realized they had sent us not only what we had ordered, but a digital camera as well. So, me being the honest nut that I am, called the people we bought it from. In my head I'm thinking a) the person who really ordered this will be really upset and b) knowing my luck, I'll get a bill for it at some point in the future. The customer service rep said he was amazed that anyone would call in to say they received extra items, and was actually doing all that he could not to laugh at me. So he had said he would send me a label to return it, and would give me a $20 credit to their website. Ok - fine. Do you know - I never received the return label or the credit. So, now, I have this very nice camera that's just sitting in the box because I feel guilty to use it!!! So even when you try to be honest, it doesn't always go the way you expect!!

magicofdisney
09-11-2009, 11:22 AM
And on the flip side...

We had ordered something for my son from a very well-known internet site. We received it, but admittedly did not open the package until about a month later, when we were ready to wrap it for his birthday. When we opened things up, we realized they had sent us not only what we had ordered, but a digital camera as well. So, me being the honest nut that I am, called the people we bought it from. In my head I'm thinking a) the person who really ordered this will be really upset and b) knowing my luck, I'll get a bill for it at some point in the future. The customer service rep said he was amazed that anyone would call in to say they received extra items, and was actually doing all that he could not to laugh at me. So he had said he would send me a label to return it, and would give me a $20 credit to their website. Ok - fine. Do you know - I never received the return label or the credit. So, now, I have this very nice camera that's just sitting in the box because I feel guilty to use it!!! So even when you try to be honest, it doesn't always go the way you expect!!
I order vitamins online and recently I received an order that had 4 extra sets of vitamins in it. I called customer service to let them know (because I too was thinking the person that did order them was missing them at the point). It was $80 worth of extra vitamins they sent me.

They actually gave me a little attitude about the whole thing. I was surprised by the treatment. I had to call them back about the return because they sent UPS on a day I wasn't home. It could be that your company needs a reminder about your honesty. ;)

SurferStitch
09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
kcrc...

I had the same thing happen to me, too, from Victoria's Secret. I ordered a bikini , and they sent me two of the same one by mistake.

I called, trying to return the duplicate, and the rep giggled at me. She told me to not worry about it, and enjoy the freebie. She basically said it would be more hassle to return it than it was worth! It wasn't a cheap swimsuit, either!

I didn't need it, so a friend bought it from me. I tried to just give it to her (since I didn't pay for it), but she insisted on giving me something for it. So, I almost got my suit for free!

BedknobsandBroomsticks
09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Yes there are alot of dishonest people out there but there are many honest wonderful people too. I personally have seen both. Had my purse stolen at a bowling alley by a heroin addict. My young daughter insisted on carrying her wallet at big outdoor festival. In it she had more than $100. Well, you can probably guess she set it down somewhere and left it. I am partly a cynic by nature so I am going "you'll never see it again" My mom insisted on going to the lost and found tent, I thought she was nuts. She came strolling back with a big grin on her face, someone had turned it in with all the money inside. I had to eat crow the rest of the day. I hope you'll see some good down the road soon. Sorry about your ring. At least it could be replaced. I also had my original engagement ring stolen from my jewerly box. My hands were swollen after the birth of our first child and I couldn't wear it. We had workers in and out of our house doing work around that time so we never did find out who took it. Try to remember what goes around... they'll get no joy from it.

Disneyatic
09-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Oh, I am sorry about your ring, it's the worst feeling to lose something that you really like.
My best friend and I went to six flags a few weeks back just the two of us with no husbands or kids, and I noticed that she had lost an earring after a coaster. When I pointed it out, she was devastated because they were from Tiffany...what a silly, wearing those to Six Flags!! We searched all around the exit to the ride hoping it had fallen off somewhere after but never found it.
On the bright side, I had a great encounter with an honest person this week. I was in the school bookstore trying to return a book that wasn't needed for a class. It had been raining and I had my phone in my hand. Well about an hour later I realized that I couldn't find my phone...so after panicking I decided to check back with the bookstore. The clerk who helped me had seen it lying on the counter and picked it up and set it aside in case I came back! YAY! I was so happy for encountering that honesty, losing a phone is the worst pain in the neck!!

It stinks that so often we are forced to acknowledge the selfishness and entitlement of people, but I try to hold on to those small acts of kindness and integrity to remind me that there is good out there.

TheVBs
09-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I am so sorry about your ring. :( Please don't lose faith in people! There are a lot of wonderful, caring, honest people out there! Two Disney trips ago, we found a digital camera in a stroller we rented at AK. I felt sick right to the pit of my stomach for whoever lost it, knowing they had memories on it, so it was great to turn it in to lost and found there!

I've gotten extra stuff in orders too. Funny enough, they were all Disney store orders! For awhile I think they sent me extra stuff with like three or four orders in a row. Every time I called they just apologized and told me to keep the extras. I couldn't believe it!

Dakota Rose
09-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Take comfort in knowing that what goes around comes around. Rarely do such deeds go without consequences though we might not witness said consequences. Or, maybe the person sold it to buy diapers or food or something.

You could always move to ND and be my neighbor. Two weeks ago I was at the market with my kids. When I got in line, I noticed my wallet was missing. I panicked and searched the store, finally ending up at customer service. Sure enough someone found it on top of the bananas (compliments of DD1) and turned it in. Everything was there.

thrillme
09-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Well I don't know how long you waited before checking to see if it was turned in or if you went back the next day.

I know I've found cell phones a couple of times in the dressing room. Attempted to turn it into the attendent who didn't want to touch it...went to the cashier who didn't want to touch it...got distracted by a sale item...then eventually made my way UPSTAIRS to customer service who FINALLY took the phones (this happened a couple of times) and put it in their massive lost and found bin. I've also found a cell phone at a public place (goodness people lose these a lot, myself, included)...no real place to turn it in so I just called a few of the phone numbers...finally found the person.

I've also found a wallet at a local rodeo before in the VIP section. I was "leary" about turning it into the office so I took it home and looked up the individual myself. Called him and returned the wallet intact. If it's a "valuable" ring you "might" consider checking with the police department or the local paper.

Unfortunately there are a lot of rotten apples out there but there's a lot of good people too. Sometimes it's hard to do the "right" thing because you don't always know if you turn it in if that person is going to be honest.

pink
09-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Well put Thrillme.

I don't if this will make the original poster feel better but I had a similar incident happen to me the other day with a ring of mine and I got it back, so there are still some honest people out there.

My ring was just costume jewerly but I loved it, I left it at work and the workers found it and asked me if it was mine upon me returning to work (which was three days later.) It sat on the desk for days and no one took it. I was so happy. :mickey: