PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with T-Mobile....

DisneyCouple07
09-09-2009, 08:27 AM
I was wondering if anyone on here has T-Mobile and noticed that we are now going to be charged if we want to receive a paper bill. I have been a customer for a very long time and have recently signed a new 2-year family plan contract, but this new charge is outrageous and I would like to cancel my service.

I am all for going green, but I, like many out there, do not trust electronic billing/payment. I feel that being forced to pay for a bill for not going the electronic way is not right and a breach of contract. Also, it is borderline discriminatory to customers who are not tech savvy or can not afford a home computer.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has been able to tackle T-Mobile and their customer service, who insist that this is not a breach of contract. The story I keep getting is that I can print out my bills for my records, or I can go to a T-Mobile store to get a printout. I was also told that I was never promised a paper bill.

Well, if anyone has any info on how to beat this without ETF's, please let me know. (I have already filed with the BBB and the FCC, but no resolution yet).

big blue and hairy
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm sure this isn't the answer you want, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Paperless is the way almost everyone is going now. You can't claim discrimination against people who don't own a computer because you can pay your bill on your phone. As far as not being tech savvy, it's just a matter of being taught. If T-Mobile wants you to pay you bill this way, go to the store and make them teach you how.

It really is quite easy, I'm a T-Mobile customer and I've always paid my bill online, except for one month when I paid it through my phone.

Electronic billing is here to stay, and charges for paper billing are probably around the corner from other folks, too, but your cell phone provider really has a good reason since you can use your phone to pay your bill.

Sorry.

:sulley:

vicster
09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
We have Verizon and chose to have an electronic bill - I don't need any more papers to shred. We also pay all our bills online though our bank which we love - no check writing and no stamps.

BigRedDad
09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, I think you are in the minority. The company can decide how they are going to bill you. You are then given the choice to follow that route or pay for another means. Think about the cost of sending a paper bill: $0.35 stamp, $0.05 for envelope, $0.05 for paper, $0.05 for printing. From my estimate, that is $0.50 expense per person. If they have 1M customers, that is $500k per month in expenses. Why should they have to cover that cost? If it were my business, I would defer that to the customer.

Magic Smiles
09-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has T-Mobile and noticed that we are now going to be charged if we want to receive a paper bill. I have been a customer for a very long time and have recently signed a new 2-year family plan contract, but this new charge is outrageous and I would like to cancel my service.
:mickey:

I fully agree with you. My Cell phone provider did this a year or two back and to this day I haven't seen a bill. I can't log onto our account because none of us know what the password is. Apparently there is one, but since we have had the cell phone account longer than forever, we don't know it. And I just can't be bothered to sit on the phone with their customer service dept to be told "too bad you will have to find it out". That was the response last time I tried.

If we want to back out or change contracts we get penalized, but they can do whatever they want. This just happened with DS cell phone plan. Costs went up and I have to pay even though I have a 3 year contract. If I want to cancel I get penalized, so I lose either way.

Both incidents are with 2 different cell phone providers, so it looks like they are all the same. Really ticks me off.

It would be great to be able to just dispose of all cell phones, but in this day and age it is just not safe to travel without a phone. Sad isn't it?

DisneyCouple07
09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I understand the entire motion against paper (and going green). And I understand the costs of sending paper bills. My problem with it all is that when I signed my contract, there was no mention whatsoever of this new charge for billing. I can understand them wanting to pass the cost to me, but this should be handled at the renewal or new contract stage—not after you already entered the agreement. I feel it is unfair to just change the rules in the middle of the game.

Should I in turn send them an invoice for my printing supplies and an envelope every month? Is it really going green if I have to drive 10 miles to go to a T-Mobile store for a bill (or even 5 miles to the local library)? Will they be accountable if my credit information should be stolen from their site?

If the consumer let's them get away with changing the terms and conditions, I wonder how long it will take supermarkets to jump on the bandwagon and add a surcharge for a receipt and use of a shopping cart.:thedolls:

big blue and hairy
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Did you fully read all of the terms and conditions? Did it not say something like, "subject to change"? Those sorts of things are always in the terms of service. If credit card companies can jack up your interest rate just becasue they want to, you're not going to win this fight.

You do still have the option of a paper bill. Since it costs T-Mobile money to send it to you, they charge you for it...more than it cost them? Probably, but that's business.

DisneyCouple07
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
It does state in the T&Cs that: If we (T-Mobile) materially modify these T&Cs in a way that is materially adverse to you (me, the consumer), or if a change increases your set monthly recurring charge(s), we will provide you with at least 30 days notice and you may terminate your service without an early termination fee by notifying us within 30 days after reception of said notice.

Also, in article 9 it states: We will send you a bill that summarizes your Charges; you may review your bill details on our website at www.my.t-mobile.com or, at your request and for an additional charge, we will provide detailed bills. "...... You agree to provide us with accurate and complete billing information and to report all changes within 30 days of the change.

It says I may review my bill online and that they will send me a bill that summarizes my charges. No where in there does it state that I will be charged for a summarized bill.

Ed
09-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Also, in article 9 it states: We will send you a bill that summarizes your Charges; you may review your bill details on our website at www.my.t-mobile.com or, at your request and for an additional charge, we will provide detailed bills. "...... You agree to provide us with accurate and complete billing information and to report all changes within 30 days of the change.

No where in there does it state that I will be charged for a summarized bill.

Sorry, but I have to disagree - - see the area highlighted above in red. It pretty clearly spells out that (1) you can review your bill online, and (2) that they will provide detailed bills FOR AN ADDITIONAL CHARGE.

That said, I was a T-Mobile customer for several years and was totally dissatisfied with their "customer service" (or lack thereeof), and have since switched to another provider.

crazeedizneefinatic
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I am a T-mobile customer also and just noticed the new change. The easiest thing to do is mark down your payment date and just dial 611 and make a one time payment each month with your CC. That's what we do. I do not trust storing my debit number for automatic payment, too much room for error. You can get the balance before payment is made and if anything is weird you can talk with someone. We have had T-mobile for so long I can sense when the payment is due, lol....and usually the bill follows in a few days....

just hoping that they use this savings of paper and postage costs and lower the cost of some of the plans...yeah I know wishful thinking and probably not going to happen...

DisneyCouple07
09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I understand the additional charge for the detailed bill.. but they are also now charging for the summarized (basic) bill.

So I will be paying $1.50 more a month for a slip of paper that says how much I owe (and if I want more info I can go online)—or I can pay $5.50 for a detailed listing of all my calls (since I have a family plan, it is $2 per line for detailed billing, plus the $1.50).

big blue and hairy
09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I understand the frustration, somewhat, but I have to say, if you're tech savvy enough to creat this post, you're tech savvy enough to navigate T-Mobile's website. I have a hard time getting worked up about not killing trees.

Ian
09-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I've had some issues with electronic bills lately, so I can sort of feel your pain.

My Best Buy bill comes electronically and for whatever reason, I didn't get a bill for August. Yes ... I know I should have realized it, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who just pays a bill when it comes in and doesn't really think about what bills I have/haven't paid for the month.

So of course they then nailed me for a late fee, cranked my interest rate up, etc. I've actually had this happen quite a few times with both paper and electronic credit card bills.

It makes me wonder if it's not intentional.

big blue and hairy
09-10-2009, 01:57 PM
So of course they then nailed me for a late fee, cranked my interest rate up, etc. I've actually had this happen quite a few times with both paper and electronic credit card bills.

It makes me wonder if it's not intentional.

Yeah, I've had them do that, too, but only actually with the paper bills.

You should read my signature...lol

Ian
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!Heh ... Love it!

But on a serious note, does anyone know what the laws are as it relates to bills? If you don't receive a bill are you still obligated to pay that month? Or I guess I should say, are you still subject to a late fee if you don't pay?

big blue and hairy
09-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I know I've seen disclaimers in contracts about it being your responsibility. I'm sure they all have it by now.

brownie
09-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Most companies are headed this way. With auto bill pay, it makes sense to steer towards people electronic bills. I work in identity theft prevention, and not receiving a paper bill can help prevent you from becoming a victim of identity theft through the theft of your mail.

I wouldn't make too much noise about not being tech savvy; they might find this post;)

DisneyCouple07
09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I am not saying that I am not tech savvy—but out in the world, there are a number of people that do not understand computers as well as most. My parents have never used a computer and I doubt they ever will. My neighbor, who is in his 80's has a cell phone for emergency reasons, but has never owned a computer nor does he even want to know about one. I understand people can be taught—but why should someone that has never needed a computer be forced to get one. Or, why should a long-time customer have to go to the library, or the local T-Mobile store to get a print out.

I guess more people out there are willing to pay for a service that was once free all in the sake of being green. I would also gladly pay for the bill—but it is just the point that midway through our contract they add this service fee and there is really nothing I can do about it. I am not allowed to cancel, I am not allowed to waive the fee, all I can do is pay it or go online.

The point I am making is that T-Mobile is forcing customers to chose between paying the old way for a fee or switch to electronic billing. I know that in my business, if I incur an increase in cost I explain to my customer that on the next job there will be an increase and what the reason is. I never announce midway through a job that I will be charging more because I had to drive in the rain, or I had a flat one day. It is just bad business practice in my opinion.

The good news is that there are class action lawsuits popping up across the country and there seems to be a lot more people angered by this than just me. I hope something can change for the better.

CanadianWDWFan
09-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I am green with envy with the plans that you guys get in the US. We here in Canada, pardon my Canadian pun, get hosed on our plans. Sorry for my little side track...

But our plan has also gone to the paperless bill. There was no added savings or reduced cost with this just the promise that your that billing would be simpler. :confused:

While this seems to be the wave of the future, there are folks out there that would still prefer the paper bill. I think though that this is going to go just like the airline tickets have gone. First phase in the electronic ticket, then later charge if you would rather have a paper ticket. Then finally do away with the paper altogether.

Ian
09-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I know I've seen disclaimers in contracts about it being your responsibility. I'm sure they all have it by now.I'm sure they do, as well, but I'm wondering how binding they really are.

My thought is that, if there was no law requiring them to bill you, wouldn't some company have just decided not to send any bills out at all? Think of all the money they'd save.

pink
09-13-2009, 02:32 PM
To the original poster, I understand your frustration. I realize that most of our nations bill paying is moving towards using the internet but I don't think it's right. I have had my credit card information stolen twice after putting it on supposedly secure websites. Hackers are always finding ways to get around virus blockers and what not. I'm sorry this happened to you. I too prefer to pay via mail. :mickey:

DisneyCouple07
09-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi Pink,

I too have had my CC info stolen (only once, and it was resolved quickly, but it is a horrible feeling nonetheless).

The great news is that T-Mobile is backing down from the charge and apologizing to it's customers. Hopefully they do come up with something that everyone can be happy with (and if they want to start the charge when I am up for renewal, so be it—I'll pay and won't make a peep about it).

:mickey: