PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space

bertmmur
09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
My DS is 9 and gets horribly shaken up on roller coasters....does not like the feeling in the pit of his stomach. I literally thought he was going to have a real heart attack on Big Thunder. His FAV is Star Tours so I really, really want him to try Mission Space Green during our November trip. But after his hysterical reaction to Big Thunder, I am scared...... My husband did Orange once and was sick as a dog for hours. Any comments....think he can handle it??

snuggs30
09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Yes he can do green! The capsule does not really move other than some up and down motions. No spinning and no sudden drop movements! He would love it i bet! My 6 yr. old had a blast and so did my mom who HATES coasters!

BigRedDad
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't risk it for a loss of an entire day. BTMRR is tame in my opinion. Even though it is the green side, it is an enclosed capsule, there is pressure to simulate motion, but not near the orange side.

BluewaterBrad
09-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't risk it for a loss of an entire day. BTMRR is tame in my opinion. Even though it is the green side, it is an enclosed capsule, there is pressure to simulate motion, but not near the orange side.

I agree. Yes, the green doesnt drop you and move much, but to hear your son really freaked out on BTMRR, I would not risk it. (unless HE really wants to try it!) Good luck!!:mickey:

Scar
09-08-2009, 03:25 PM
....does not like the feeling in the pit of his stomach.I have discovered that if you tighten up the muscles in your belly, like you are preparing to take a punch in the gut, you do not experience that "stomach being left behind" feeling.

cather74
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I say give it a whirl. (no pun intended) Everyone gets a job on that ride so if you focus more on that, maybe he won't be as scared. (make him the captain.)

My mom :balloon: HATES roller coasters and gets motion sick if the wind blows too hard. She was fine and had a great time. Good luck and have fun!!!:balloon:

gnomelady
09-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I rode MM a couple years ago and really got sick. Filled 2 barf bags then I had to lay on bench for 30 min going back and forth to the restroom. Finally my son and I had to go back to the room and I laid down.
Now I think they have place you can sit without being in the capsuale.
I had an awful experience and will never ride it again.
Lots of people ride it without any problem my son was fine.
Good luck!

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
My DW who is very prone to motion sickness was able to ride green. She didn't get sick but didn't like it either. I think anyone can ride green and close their eyes if they feel motion sickness. If he did Star Tours he should have no problems with green. People who don't like closed spaces may have a problem.:thumbsup:

redlegwife96
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
My DS(9) and DD(8) don't like Thunder Mountain either. They told me they felt like they were going to fall out of BTMRR because the safety bar doesn't come down over their laps because it stops at the highest lap, which was mine. They both loved MS Green. It is very tame. If it gets a bit intense for a younger child, they can close their eyes and will feel minimal motion because you aren't being spun around like the orange side. It's mostly visual like Soarin' with a tiny bit of motion like Star Tours. The fact that everyone has a job is a good distraction too. My son made sure that we were all pushing the buttons at the right time.

:minnie:

Pally
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
In 2006 my older son would not ride with us on Mission Space. So we went on without him. We had never been on it before. After riding (orange) we found it to be fine.

Now, my son who did not ride hates all roller coaster rides period and does not go on them.

We tried to describe to him it is not like a roller coaster but more of a pressure feeling and that he should really give it a try. Towards the end of the day he decided he would give it a try. He loved it! It is the only thrill ride he will go on.

On our recent trip though my husband decided he only wanted to go on the green side. He gets motion sickness with spininnig. So, if your son gets motion sickness, maybe not.

If he is scared of the feeling like a roller coaster I would go for it because I don't think it is the same feeling.

But, I usually don't push hard if they don't want to ride. :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
09-11-2009, 09:58 AM
IMHO, Star Tours has more "tummy drops" than MS Green. I've done both green and orange. Orange didn't upset my stomach, but made me feel like I had no energy for hours afterwards (I wanted to sleep). The green is much tamer and really fun! And, for us, the line was much shorter so we would go on it 2,3,4 times in a row!

If you are worried about his reaction, try it at the end of the day. That way you'll be heading back to your hotel anyway.

Good luck! :fingers:

bertmmur
09-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the posts. I think we will ride, sounds like it is not "roller coaster" intense.

Disney4us2
09-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I am just like your son. I will not do any big roller coasters. I do like thunder mountain though. My DD 9 will do anything... she is quite the dare devil:thedolls:

I would not push... just see how it goes. Good luck and have fun:mickey: