PDA

View Full Version : Training for Half Marathon!

KH
09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I just have to post this and hope there is someone out there I can share with! My brother-in-law and I are both turning 50 this fall and are going to run the half marathon to celebrate. Neither of us has been a runner before but we are both martial artists and in pretty good shape. Endurance running, however, is clearly very different from what either of us has done before! Up until now my training runs have been a real chore, and I've been a bit concerned about what I've gotten into, but I feel like I've turned a corner and I'm very excited about the race! I did 5 miles this morning and felt great.

I would love to hear how everyone else's training is going! Only 123 days!

DizRunner
09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey KH! I'm counting the days with ya. Can't wait. I've done the Disney Marathon and the Disney Half (two separate years) and I'm doing the Half in January. So looking forward to it.

Training is going well for me. I'm at 5 miles myself. I take it easy when I run. I'm not competitive at all. But I'm planning on a 2:15 time. I always get to about 8 or 9 miles in my training...no more. Then I'm ready. The adrenaline always gets me the rest of the way during the run.

You are going to love running at Disney. It is sooo awesome running through the castle at MK, along with the rest of MK. Running through Epcot is fun also. But with it being towards the end, you just want to finish at that point. : ) The whole thing is a blast.

You may be tired when getting to the start line at 4am. But seeing Spaceship Earth all lit up is just a cool sight. I love it.

Good luck with training.

Brian

like2workout
09-10-2009, 08:51 AM
i'm also running the half marathon for the first time in January. i'm both nervous and excited about it but i know it will be fun.

Patricia
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't worry! You'll be fine. :mickey:

In September 2008 I made it through the Disneyland Half and I wasn't the least bit ready for it.

I was not only a new runner, but I had found out the week before the run date that the side stitch I had been experiencing all through training was a rare hernia. So, I decided that if I didn't make my planned 2:30 time I wouldn't be too upset. The Doctor actually told me I wouldn't be able to finish at all. I lucked out at the Expo and met some of the professional pacers from Clif and they convinced me to join a 3 hour pace group and the promised to bring me in with no pain. They were right, I had no pain and in the end I was able to leave them for the last couple of miles and bring my pace up to finish at 2:55. Even though it was a slower time than planned, it felt great to finish! I had a shower and played in Disneyland till midnight!

The hernia was repaired this past June and I plan to go back next year and run it in 2:15 or 2:30. :whew:

Good luck!

RocknBev
09-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I too will be running my first half marathon at Disney in January. I am sooooo nervous as I am in my mid forties and just started running this year. My whole body hurts some days but I just do it anyway...and wish I had a 21 year old body. I have my training schedule on my frig and at this time, run 4-5 days a week up to 5 miles...although I do have to walk some of it as well.

I have completed one 10K (the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta which was a blast) and I am planning to run the Disney Race for the Taste 10K in October.

I am very nervous about my ability to finish 13 miles. My greatest fear is being picked up by the white sweeper busses :( I want to be able to finish! I am glad to know that others are experiencing some of the same feelings! WE CAN DO THIS! :mickey:

KH
09-11-2009, 11:24 AM
It's nice to hear from all of you. My brother-in-law and I are planning on 2:30. That should keep us way ahead of the dreaded sweepers! :vacuum:

If any of you have advice about the logistics of race day, or advice about spectating that we can give our families, that would be very much appreciated.

I'm feeling good today. I just did 4 nine minute miles and I'm ready for the day!