PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the Next Bus - Okay or Not?

Bean Bunny
09-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Is it considered wrong or rude to step aside and let other people board a full bus that is standing room only so that we can get a seat on the next bus?

Back in 2005, we tried to wait for the next bus one night, and the driver got very snippy with us about it, so we ended up boarding. I was pregnant at the time, which is why we tried to get a seat. Last year, we had our DS2 and, yup you guessed it, I was expecting again, and we decided to just board a standing-room only bus (rather than get yelled at again) and that was a nightmare! I had one hand on a pole while balancing myself and my squirmy DS (who only wanted Mommy to hold him). I finally just gave up and sat on the floor!

On one hand, if everybody all of a sudden refused to stand, it would obviously create problems, but on the other, sometimes it just seems safer to wait for another bus. For years, I've always cringed at seeing families struggling to balance children and strollers and diaper bags and whatever else while standing on a crowded bus and now I am one of those families! I do not expect anyone to give up their seat on the bus (though it is always nice to have that happen, I do not expect it), so that leaves us with this crossroad: to stand or wait!

This isn't about letting pregnant women or families with children get the seats first, I'm not trying to start that debate. I wouldn't want to do anything that is considered wrong, and I know with the amount of people at WDW, crowded buses are inevitable and a fact of life. I have seen people wait for the next bus before, but after that one driver snipped at us, I've been wary of it, which is why I wanted to bring this up here to finally get a right or wrong answer.

What do you think???

Tinkerfreak
09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
We wait for the next bus alot of times and have never had a bus driver act upset with us. We just step aside and if they keep the door open we just wave them on. We would rather wait a few more minutes and get a seat then have to stand and worry about someone falling. My husband always stands if there are any older people, younger people or females standing. He is just a gentelman.:thumbsup:

DVC2004
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
No I wouldn't consider that rude at all. Recently I travelled for business and we had to rely on the hotel shuttle to take us everywhere. I was acutally forced to sit on the floor next to the driver one evening because the shuttle was packed beyond capacity and there was only 1 shuttle (not able to wait for another one). So I would have definitely waited for the next one had there been more than one. Of course, no young men in the groups offered to sit there in my place either.

Imagineer1981
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't think its rude, especially considering if you stop in the bus line for 2 seconds to tie your shoe you'll get passed by 30 people anyways :D

MNNHFLTX
09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
We asked to wait for the next bus on at least a couple of occasions and never had a problem. If anything, the people behind us were happy to at least get on the bus and didn't seem to mind standing.

#1donaldfan
09-08-2009, 12:19 PM
NOPE !! not rude.....don't know why a bus driver would have been that way, what's it to them if you decide to wait for another ride....??? my luck the next bus would arrive fully loaded anyway, so I'm getting on the first one avail, but that's just me......:mickey:

DisneyFr33k
09-08-2009, 12:29 PM
My DH is a true southern gent and unless the bus is empty, is he offering his seat to someone else. It is a shame someone didn't offer you their seat when you were pregnant and holding a small child.

SBETigg
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
I can't imagine why it would be a problem to wait-- unless there wasn't going to be another bus. If they had to arrange for more buses, thus go to extra expense, to accommodate more people due to guests not taking advantage of the standing room, it might become a problem. But if there were plenty of people lined up to require another bus anyway, and plenty of people willing to get on board ahead of you even if it meant standing, I can't imagine what was wrong with your driver.

I try to just keep things in perspective. I think this was one snippy bus driver and not that what you did was rude or wrong, and I wouldn't let it influence my decision to wait for a seat instead of standing if that's what I wanted at the time. You shouldn't be forced to feel unsafe just to accommodate a bus driver.

prttynpnk
09-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I think it's your perogative to travel as you choose. After a day in the parks the last thing I want is to be standing on top of strangers trying not to fall on anyones child/bags/stroller/grandpa!
I am also slightly horrified that people watched a pregnant woman juggle a toddler- obviously my husband wasn't on that bus- he would have given you his seat and shamed the others around us!

jillluvsdisney
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Why would that be rude? No is forcing the people behind you to get on a SRO bus. If the next guests don't want it, somewhere down the line someone will want to get on. Don't let the driver's "snippiness" factor into your decision.

huzzah4
09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I would have shamed them until they cried.

Bean Bunny
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Thank you all so much for your responses! I don't know why that particular driver decided to be so grumpy about it, but he did, and now at least I know he was the exception. Ever since that time, I just assumed we'd better get on whatever bus is sitting there to avoid conflict, but next time we will definitely feel better opting to wait for a seat on the next bus, especially with our kids in tow! Wow, what a relief!

It is a shame someone didn't offer you their seat when you were pregnant and holding a small child.

I am also slightly horrified that people watched a pregnant woman juggle a toddler- obviously my husband wasn't on that bus- he would have given you his seat and shamed the others around us!

On a side note, I was mildly amused that night by an offer from a woman on the bus sitting in her scooter nearby; she offered to hold my son for me!!! Not really an option we(or my son, for that matter) would have been comfortable with, but it was a sweet thought for her to try to help.

And on an added note, thank you all for your support about expecting mommies who have to stand, but I only added that to describe my situations (which just happened to be the case both those times) not the reason I asked this question. My intent was the question in general about the buses, not just for expecting mommies. But, it is comforting to see how many good people there are out there anyways!

ransam
09-08-2009, 01:37 PM
if you feel like others may be upset w/ you...then have your husband say he "forgot" something right before you board....let the others go on as your husband goes to get what he "forgot"....

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't think its rude and we've done this before ourselves...I can't believe nobody offered a seat to a pregnant woman...my son is 15 years old and several times our last trip he gave up his seat for older ladies without me having to ask him to do it....

Granny Jill A
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow - getting yelled at by the driver for NOT wanting to board a bus? Not fun.

We have often waited for the next bus rather than be squeezed into a full one. We just tell people behind us to go ahead, and when the bus is really, really full, we are first in line for the next empty bus.

Works for us, and the driver has NEVER said a word.

Daisy'sMom
09-08-2009, 03:25 PM
If the driver had yelled at me, I would have marched over to guest relations and made a stink.
Wait for the next bus. It's your right!:mickey:

CleveRocks
09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
We asked to wait for the next bus on at least a couple of occasions and never had a problem. If anything, the people behind us were happy to at least get on the bus and didn't seem to mind standing.

Why would that be rude? No is forcing the people behind you to get on a SRO bus. If the next guests don't want it, somewhere down the line someone will want to get on. Don't let the driver's "snippiness" factor into your decision.My thoughts exactly.

Disney Doll
09-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I see people opting to wait for the next bus all the time and I've never seen a bus driver give it a thought. If anything the people next in line are always very appreciative to get a spot on a full bus. If you'd rather wait for a seat then feel free. I think you just found a grumpy bus driver that one time.

Tigerinvestigator
09-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Nope not rude. Actually it is a safety concern if you are pregnant. Wonder what that driver would have thought if you had been slammed against a seat or fallen and started talking lawsuits. :thumbsup:

joelkfla
09-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Not a problem at all.

Just please step out of the way to allow guests behind you to board. Either scrunch back against the railing, or step forward out of the queue.

indytraveler
09-09-2009, 09:33 AM
No problem. But YOU would have gotten MY seat if I was on that bus!

TheVBs
09-09-2009, 09:49 AM
No way is that rude! You were doing the right thing and I'm so sorry that bus driver made you feel bad about it. He was in the wrong.

We have to wait for the next bus if there's standing room only because my DD9 gets horribly motion sick if she's standing. Better to wait a little longer than have her throw up on someone!

And if my DH and I had been on that bus, you would have been offered one of our seats or we would have put the girls on our laps if they weren't already so you and your DS could sit. No way would we have let you stand.

Laughin' place
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I cant imagine a guest or cast member objecting to you stepping aside and waiting for the next bus. On our last trip, my DW was largely wheel-chair bound (for a 12 day trip) and I or whichever boy drew "pushing duty" were ready to SIT when the day was done. We would gladly wait at a park or FtW for the "right" set of seats to come along. I think you are not only in the right, but clearly so. (and polite, to boot).

Belster
09-09-2009, 02:12 PM
We do this all of the time...I would never consider it rude. I do what works best for my family and their needs. Sometimes there are needs that cannot be noticed to others just by looking.

WeLuvBuzz
09-09-2009, 03:34 PM
I am sorry the bus driver made you feel bad. I am sure the people behind you would have been thrilled had you waited for the next bus. Also, as a side note, there have been times pregnant woman have gotten on the bus that I would have gladly given them my seat, but quite often I am so far back, and have millions of people standing in between us that half the bus would have to unload and reload to give them my seat. Keep in mind this is a family destination. Sometimes the buses are so full of babies being held, elderly people who should not stand due to safety reasons, and pregnant women that eventually some of them have to stand. It definitely should be their perogative to wait for another bus.

Bean Bunny
09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Sometimes the buses are so full of babies being held, elderly people who should not stand due to safety reasons, and pregnant women that eventually some of them have to stand. It definitely should be their perogative to wait for another bus.

My thoughts exactly! I went there knowing full well I might have to stand on buses at some point, just like I'd have to walk and stand in ride queues, and that was fine by me or else we wouldn't have booked those trips! However, like you said, I assumed that if we wanted to wait for seats on another bus, we would be able to. I'm glad you all have cleared up that it is okay to pass up a SRO bus.

I've been to Disney enough times to know that that driver was the rare exception; I've never encountered a rude cast member before or after him, thank goodness. We had left Epcot just minutes before the park closed that night with EMH, so by the time we reached the bus stop, it was probably just about closing, but there were plenty of people in the park when we left, it's not like we had closed the place down ourselves. My FIL had told him we'd wait for the next bus, and that is when the driver loudly told him that this could be the last bus and it would be very inconvenient if they had to send a bus just for us because we wouldn't board one ready and waiting. If I'm not mistaken, by the time all the guests have cleared out of a park, it's probably at least 45-60min after closing that the last bus has run, so not sure why he'd think we were the last guests there right at closing! We most certainly were not - guess he probably got even crankier as the night went on!

Lakin
09-09-2009, 04:42 PM
The bus driver that snipped at you must have been having a bad day.

I do not find that rude at all, if anything, I find it polite to let the people behind you board.

AdventurerKim
09-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Definitely not rude at all! People did that when we were there in June, and they let everyone go ahead who wanted to stand, which we did because usually we just want to get to the parks and don't care about sitting or standing.

gueli
09-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Just one comment
Never let anyone push you into a situation where you are uncomfortable.
Ever.:thumbsup:

Goofster
09-14-2009, 02:04 PM
We've done it once where there was just no way in heck that my wife and I were going to stand with our 3 kids on a packed bus from Animal Kingdom to the Wilderness Lodge! So we stepped aside and let the people behind us board...nobody cares...and if they do...they need to get a life! :cool:

EJS-Houston
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Why would that be rude? No is forcing the people behind you to get on a SRO bus. If the next guests don't want it, somewhere down the line someone will want to get on. Don't let the driver's "snippiness" factor into your decision.

I think you just had the bad luck to get a rude bus driver...and I certainly wouldn't allow that one jerk to color your WDW experiences going forward. Why should the driver or anyone else care if you wait for the next bus?!

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-14-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't know what I find more disappointing...the bus driver's reaction or the fact that nobody, man or woman, would offer a seat to a pregnant lady.

I guess I'm just old school...:shake:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
09-14-2009, 09:43 PM
We were there last month and waited for another bus quite a few times with no problem.

Our 5 year old daughter has a fractured ankle and is in a Cam walker (boot/brace from toe to knee). She is only partial weight bearing. Long story short, even though our stroller was marked as a wheelchair, the drivers would ignore us waiting to board at the back of the bus (which we were told to do). Since it was pretty busy, there were quite a few times that the bus was standing only. Since she could not stand, nor could I hold her, we waited for another bus almost everytime.

No when had a problem with it and I would not hesitate to do it on future trips. I hope you have a great time!:)