PDA

View Full Version : Mission Space - Are you Green or Orange?

DisneyFr33k
09-08-2009, 09:43 AM
We tried MS when it first opened. No green option then. Right after we were assigned our roles, the cast member asked if we were sure we wanted to go on the ride and pointed to a door if we wanted to leave. A little voice inside me head said "take the door". I should have listened! The ride itself was fine, but afterwards I felt like someone had literally drained all the energy out of my body. You know the feeling after watching a long movie in the movie theatre? I had that feeling, but 10 times worse. I felt like I could sleep for days. :sleepin: We stopped by the medical facility in Epcot and the nurse said it was motion sickness. I was shocked! I get seasick and car sick, but it is nausea :sick:. I've never had motion sickness like that. It took me 3 hours to "snap out of it" and begin feeling normal again.

So needless to say, I'm GREEN.

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Orange all the way. We did have a friend who had similar symptoms to yours a few years ago. She had to go back to the hotel for the rest of the day. Not sick but extremely tired and dizzy.:ill:

deedeebee
09-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I have done both, didn't like either one. DH and the kids go, I shop. It didn't really make me sick, but like you said, I felt drained:( No need to feel like that at WDW:mickey: I love EE, RR and all the moutians, just don't take me to space!

SBETigg
09-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Orange! Love it. I felt great afterwards, and that's weird for me because I get nauseated riding the teacups, but no trouble on M:S.

VolMickey
09-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I can be a big weenie, or so my wife says -- not big on roller coasters etc. Should I do green or orange?

caryrae
09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I can be a big weenie, or so my wife says -- not big on roller coasters etc. Should I do green or orange?

Hard to say because IMHO it's not a scary ride or anything because you are in an enclosed capsule so you don't see how fast or what direction you are going but you can feel it. It is all motion so if you get motion sickness easily do the green version.

DisneyFr33k
09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Hard to say because IMHO it's not a scary ride or anything because you are in an enclosed capsule so you don't see how fast or what direction you are going but you can feel it. It is all motion so if you get motion sickness easily do the green version.

You definitely feel the G force on organge. Your cheeks feel like rubber! I agree with the poster above - it is a fun ride, but its all about how your react to motion.

Green is still a lot of fun - and for me without the dragging feeling afterwards! Can't be dragging at Disney!!!

MNNHFLTX
09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I have done the orange version many times, but decided to try green on our last trip, just to compare the two. Strangely enough, I actually felt more disoriented (especially in the launch scene) on green than orange. I think because my brain had become used to experiencing the video with the centrifugal G-forces, not feeling them kind of messed with my brain, if that makes any sense.

#1donaldfan
09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Orange......did green once to "just see" and it was more like star tours....not bad, but orange is MUCH better....!!!:mickey:

Frog
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Yall are giving me hope...
I never would even try it ms, cause i get motion sick pretty easy. I am afraid to ride cause I dont want to ruin a day at the world feeling ill...
I did rr last visit and loved it. So I have re-visited the IDEA of trying it... green of course.
BTW, I have found that if I have any "junk" in my nasal passages, I am more prone to motion sickness.... probably a seperate board topic, but thought I would mention it anyway...

Stu29573
09-08-2009, 12:36 PM
My wife and I did green on our last trip...and loved it! I would never risk orange because WDW is one place I just can't afford to be sick!:thumbsup:

BigRedDad
09-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think it is motion sickness you were feeling. Since your body feels fairly stationary and it is an illusion of movement with g-forces. I think what you experienced is what fighter pilots face. As the centrifugal forces are placed on your body and your "car" rotates on the axis, all of your blood is pushed to the outer edge of the path you are on. This means blood is moving from the brain and other parts of the body. This is not an illusion. Each person will react differently to a lower/slower supply of blood to different parts of their body.

stitchaholic
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
orange,definitly orange

threeh
09-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Green teamfor me!! The rest of my family will do Orange, but I am :chicken:

bruin1344
09-08-2009, 01:01 PM
ive done both, orange is definitely far more intense than green, i always say i will never do orange again since it makes me nauseous but i end up doing it anyways

hardingella
09-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Im a green, if i did orange i would definatly look green. Im a :chicken: and proud of it.

prttynpnk
09-08-2009, 01:12 PM
The only time I have tried the ride was before the options were started. That being said, if I do it again- it would be green and only if I was promised that it would cure cancer, end war and every child on the planet gets a lollipop. That ride was too much for my wimpishness- I remember my husband asking if I was ready to sit up and try moving around again.....:sick:

KylesMom
09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Each trip, DH, DS and I contemplate giving Team Orange a try. Each time, we decide it's not worth the potential of ruining a day for us at Disney, so it's Green Team for all!

DisneyFr33k
09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I remember vividly sitting in the play area at the exit of MS, trying to recover. I watched child after child come off the ride (remember there was no green option then) rubbing their cheeks. That G-force really made your cheeks feel funny and the kids didn't hide that!

BMan62
09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
We did MS in 'soft opening' about a month before the full opening of the ride. At that point, they had it cranked up even more than it is now. I actually enjoyed it more then than I do now. Now, I can 'feel' the spinning a lot more and that is disorienting to me.

As far as which one...Been on both and would do both, but prefer Orange.

kat70
09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I've had lower back surgery, so have to keep that in mind when choosing rides... definitely a bummer when I realize it's not wise to try some of the fun ones - like Splash Mountain. :( In this case, I opted for Green first to check it out (I also have motion issues), then decided I'd be fine for Orange. If it had been even a minute or two longer, I'd have been in trouble with queasies, but my back did fine! We're space geeks so I really did enjoy the chance to feel part of the crew on a space flight!

DVC2004
09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Our family is always orange. I don't see the piont of going on if you aren't going to experience it as the imagineers designed it. Sorta like drinking non-alcholic beer.;)

Lisaj13
09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
When we went for the first time DDs were 10 and 14 and I didn't know how they'd handle it, so we did Green. When we got off youngest DD said "Is that it?" Needless to say we turned around and went on the Orange version.

I enjoyed both, but I felt like I was actually in space with the Orange trip.

BIGDOG
09-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I never knew there were options? This must have started after my last visit. My brother in law and I had a "couple of cold ones" at the beverage cart just outside the Mission space ride. Then did the only option there was at the time and felt great''' My wife would not allow any of the kids on the ride due to the kids Dr told her is was very bad ride for children? I guess a small child died from or on the ride just before our trip?

BluewaterBrad
09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Orange!!:mickey:

GBBT
09-08-2009, 03:38 PM
We do ORANGE. The 1st time we rode it,me and DSS,to see if it was ok for my DW and younger son.It wasn't bad,couldn't feel the G-Forces much.Got DW and DS on and the Gs were more forceful.Thruout the ride she said she was going to:beat: us.We told her it wasn't THAT bad the 1st time WE rode it ,but she didn't believe us.:D She waits on us when we ride it now.:D But you have to try it at least 1 time.

MNNHFLTX
09-08-2009, 03:45 PM
My wife would not allow any of the kids on the ride due to the kids Dr told her is was very bad ride for children? I guess a small child died from or on the ride just before our trip?I don't want the thread to go off-topic but just wanted to clarify that the boy that died in 2006 had a pre-existing heart condition that no one knew about beforehand. Many thousands of children have ridden this ride without ill-effect.

Okay, back to the topic at hand.

Imagineer1981
09-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Always ORANGE for me. I have been lucky enough to never experience symptoms like many people

Goes4FastPass
09-08-2009, 06:50 PM
...until they come up with Rrrrrrred!

disneykid99
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
I also went orange the before green was offered. I am up for a good thrill rides but orange was not for me. As the ride started to get underway I could feel the tears flowing past my eyes straight into my hair line. Not because I was crying but I guess from the g-forces. I just kept waiting for this short ride to end:( I felt horrible after and took about an hour to feel somewhat back to normal. :sick:

I go green now and enjoy it. My kids (9 and 6) also go green - I have not let them try the orange. Maybe when they are 21:secret:

I say - When in doubt go green.

T-Belle
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Another orange fan here.

Dreamer7080
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Orange!!! :muscles:

cather74
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Tried green once with my bff who was scared but it's orange all the way for me!:woohoo:

pokci
09-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I took a bonine - non-drowsy dramamine - in the early afternoon and then in the late afternoon decided to try the green. I get motion sickness being a passenger in a regular car. Even with the bonine and the tamer version, I was "off" and queasy :sick: the rest of the evening. Would love to do it - see it - but will never go on it again. :(

Itchy
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I enjoy both, its a great ride. I have more fun on the orange when there are nubies on board and they look at the control console and see the little white bags. They then ask what they are for and I get to tell them.:blush::ack:

They will then say that I was kidding. Nope, as you all well know.

As I read from posters prior to my first ride was to look straight ahead and leave the controls alone and you will be ok.

It works..:mickey:

kemps@wdw
09-08-2009, 11:14 PM
When we first rode MS, there was only one. And bless the one who thought of putting :ack: bags on board! And the one who designed the cold air to blow directly in my face so I wouldn't need the :ack: bag. (though I felt like I would). After that, I would NOT ride again, but DH and DD would. Now that there is an alternate version, I would NOT miss this attraction! Don't need G-Force spin to enjoy this trip to Mars! I'm glad MS decided to "go green". :thumbsup:

SpecJoe Magic
09-09-2009, 07:07 AM
I've done both, and while green was a little better than I expected, I much prefer orange. These days, it's orange or not at all for me.

indytraveler
09-09-2009, 09:38 AM
I've ridden green ever since they gave you a choice. The orange side gave me a headache and I can't have a self induced headache at WDW.

Goes4FastPass
09-09-2009, 09:45 AM
My wife's favorite side of Mission Space is Mouse Gear - the souvenir "department store" near Mission Space. As in "You go ride. Twice, if you like. I'll be right over there." all while pointing to Mouse Gear.

Laughin' place
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
My childhood dream (fueled by trips to Tomorrowland and then Cape Canaveral) was to be an astronaut. I loved rocket to the moon / mars, space mountain, etc. Of course, I couldnt wait to try Mission Space. Even tho, for some odd reason, I cant take Gary Sinese seriously, this is a huge favorite of mine. I have gone Orange every time and loved it. Especially enjoyed (when the boys were younger and gullible) pretending that the mission was real (they totally bought it the first time :D). I wish I could compare Green and Orange for you, but Ive never ridden Green. Id urge you to try Orange -- you will never know til you try. Good luck, trainee!

Goes4FastPass
09-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Isn't the queue for orange usually shorter?

EJS-Houston
09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm Orange all the way...but I have to confess that after the first time I watch what and when I eat very carefully before doing Mission Space. I felt mildly nauseated the first time I rode it; fortunately, right around the second I began to feel truly uncomfortable, the ride stopped.

Lakin
09-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Orange - I'm still young, I gotta live!

MNNHFLTX
09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Isn't the queue for orange usually shorter?When my son and I were there a couple of weeks ago, the queue for green was shorter than orange during the day, but longer in the evening.

Tinksalot
09-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I'm ORANGE! Had to ride the green side last time because the rest of my group couldn't handle the the orange side..... :ill:

Iteachpc
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I rode MS for the first on our last trip in July. I opted for green...no way do I want to feel sick at my favorite place in the world. I enjoyed green very much and would definitely ride again. I didn't feel ill or bad at all after riding. DS and my niece rode orange and LOVED it.

Phantod
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm yellow. Not doing that one again. :ack:

Mushu11756
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Each trip, DH, DS and I contemplate giving Team Orange a try. Each time, we decide it's not worth the potential of ruining a day for us at Disney, so it's Green Team for all!

Why don't you ride it last? That way you can try it and then go back to your resort if it makes you :sick::secret:

ransam
09-10-2009, 01:07 AM
always done green..but next time want to try the orange....

Mousefever
09-10-2009, 03:40 AM
DH fell on his head once and has yucky vertigo issues. We never went on MS until there was a green version, which was fine with me! I am adventurous on all rides except those that spin. One too many times on the Turkish Twist (that ride where you stick to the wall and the floor drops) in my teenage years, I suppose. I do, however, indulge my DS by going on Primevil Whirl with him.

Amy

ChipDale2708
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I always did the orange side w/out any problems. The instant face lift was fantastic! However there was no way my Mom could go on the orange side so I always went alone. Last year she tried the green side and loved it! Now we do the green side so we can go together. I don't feel like I'm missing anything either. Can't wait to ride again in 20 days!! :mickey:

Frog
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Wondering,
has anyone not done well on the ride (orange or green), come back later with dramamine in your system and rode the ride with no complications??

DisneyFr33k
09-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Isn't the queue for orange usually shorter?

We found the green side always shorter. Multiple times we walked right up to the doors and went in. We waited a couple of minutes and maybe one or two more couples came in. Then we proceeded with a half empty room! :thumbsup:

Jasper
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a tremendous amount of back problems (9 back surgery in the last 10 years) so I don't do rollercoaster or any other kind of rough ride anymore. Fortunately my children, especially my 24 and 21 year old both have a good feel for what I can and can't handle any more. Needless to say, I was very surprised when they came out from having done both sides and said they thought I could do the green side. I tried it and LOVED IT. I just wish I could do the orange side!

thrillme
09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
ORANGE!!! :number1:

kbean
09-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm yellow for both...only cuz i get migraines easy. But I plan for orange next trip there. I have too.

BelleandtheBeast
09-10-2009, 10:21 PM
We are going in Feb. and willl be green. My DH has a heart condition and does not want to take the chance and I have anxiety, I would probably be fine but think I am not. LOL

BraddyB
09-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Orange Please :thumbsup:

Granny Jill A
09-11-2009, 01:34 PM
When MS first opened, I rode ORANGE twice in a row and didn't feel anything but jazzed up about the experience.

Since they started offering the less intense experience, I've chosen that since my family members prefer it.

TikiLounger
09-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Orange! I actually feel better after I ride it, too. Odd.

Giggy
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
TEAM ORANGE

We have only been once since it opened, there was no green option then, only orange. Though I think even with the choice we'd have gone for the orange one still. We had no problems on orange and next time I'm fairly sure we would choose to go for the orange one again.

prprincess
09-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm sad to admit that I have yet to ride. Horrible, I know. But I'm so scared! I promised myself I was going to ride in November, but I'm still chicken so I think I'm going to go green. But only because I took my kids to an amusement park last weekend and the Tilt A Whirl made me horribly naseous and ruined my day. I don't want to risk that at Epcot.

mousetrapper
09-11-2009, 07:14 PM
I've told this story many times on Intercot...

I wanted to love M:S! My dad worked for NASA in the 60s and 70s during the space program and I have always been a space nut. As a child, I wanted to be an astronut, er, astroNAUT! :blush:

Anyway, I rode M:S in the a.m., not long after the ride opened. I hadn't eaten breakfast and was also dehydrated from a few days of touring the parks in the heat.

My reaction: I felt like I had all the life drained out of me. I could hardly breathe during the ride. It was like I had no oxygen and that I was going to pass out. No nausea, thank God! I felt fine after I got off the ride. No lingering symptoms.

So disappointing! I think it was a combination of an empty stomach, dehydration and also not listening to the instructions about facing forward, etc. I looked from side to side and I think it threw everything out of whack! I did ride again later in the trip being sure I followed instructions, etc., but it was still not enjoyable.

The green side is OK but I really wish I could do the orange side. :( I may give it another try someday but I'm a little chicken...