PDA

View Full Version : might have to cancel trip!

Tinkerfreak
09-08-2009, 08:56 AM
:( After much discussion DH and I have decided we will most likely be canceling our upcoming trip for Nov. 20th. Our DD is just starting high school and is nervous about missing the 3 days of school she will miss. We have also come to the conclusion that our kids just are not that into it anymore. They have been for the past 8 years in a row and it has just become no big deal for them anymore. We just cant justify spending all that money for something they just dont get that excited about anymore.
I am the biggest Disney nut in the family but DH does enjoy it also. We allready have tickets to the Christmas party for the 20th and I think that missing that is going to be the hardest for me. I have been wanting to see the castle all lit up with the lights ever since they started doing it and I was so excited to see it. We said we might go next year because maybe a year off will bring some of the excitement back for them.
I am just so depressed about it. I always get bummed out when summer is over and the kids are back at school and our fall trips give me something to look forward to.

SurferStitch
09-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( Do you think maybe you and DH could at least go down for a few days so you could go to MVMCP? Is there someone who could keep an eye on your kids? I don't know all of their ages, so I don't know if this is a feasible option.

I know that when I was in high school, I would have skipped a few days in a heartbeat to go to WDW! I was a straight A student anyway (had a 4.3 GPA with my honors courses), so it wouldn't have been a big deal. Unfortunately, my parents were totally not into Disney, so I only ever got one summer trip there my entire life until I got married. My parents wanted that trip to be in October, but the other family we went with wouldn't take their kids out of school. Now we're looking at trip #18.

I hope you can work something out and swing a few days on your own with your DH. If not, then just look forward to planning your next trip down. Planning can help take a little of the sting away.

VWL Mom
09-08-2009, 10:02 AM
That's too bad. Maybe, as SurferStich suggests, you and DH can go for a few days so you don't miss the party.

SBETigg
09-08-2009, 10:14 AM
The three days are the days right before Thanksgiving, right? Our school is missing so many kids that week that teachers really tone down the workload and they end up doing things like watching movies of books they read in class or just reviewing stuff. I really don't think she'll miss much, and if she plans ahead, she can check with teachers about turning in any work due that week early.

My sister's daughter had the same attitude before their last trip, and she did a complete turn once they were there. She was thrilled that she went, though she had more work when they got home. It could be that they're grousing now, as kids that age do, but that once the trip gets closer, and once they get there, they are absolutely pleased to be at WDW again. I would be hesitant to cancel. Maybe talk to the kids, find out if there are reservations besides the missing school days, and just bargain with them-- if they (poor dears) just tough it out and put up with WDW this year, you won't make them go next time. And then next time, plan that trip for just you and the DH. Or just go without them this time, too, if you can swing it. So sad to think about you missing out!

megustamex
09-08-2009, 11:16 AM
How old are all the kids? I know that when my sister and I were teenagers one of the things that made Disney really exciting was being able to go to the parks on our own while my parents did something else. We would stay out all night at the EMH's while my parents went to bed, or my parents would take a day at the pool and not even go to the parks. It was a new exciting way to experience Disney as teenagers, and sometimes we would meet other kids to hang out with too.

Tinkerfreak
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. We have not made any final decisions yet. I also think they would do fine. We usually take them DD14 grade 9 DD11 grade 6) out of school for 5 or 6 days around Halloween and they have always done fine. I told DH we should give her more time before we decide. They have only been in school for one week. I did consult her guidance cousiler at the end of school last year and they seemed to think it is no big deal. I am not worried about her missing school. I kow once we get there she will have fun I guess I just hate to spend that huge amount of money if they really don't care if they go or not. If I had someone to watch her I would consider going without her because she actually suggested that to me last night but our trip is over her birthday and Thanksgiving.
Well thanks for just hearing me out. I kow that nobody can understand how I feel like you guys do.