PDA

View Full Version : My husband has lost the love

Mousefever
09-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I always thought my hubby and I were on the same page about our love of Disney World. I just found out, from the horse's mouth, that he doesn't care if we go to Disney World again. It doesn't interest him anymore and he thinks it's too much money for one week. I'm so sad. :(

Amy

SBETigg
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Ah, that is sad, Amy. Do you think it's a simple case of overkill and maybe some time away will restore his love?

BluewaterBrad
09-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Yup, hopefully its just a serious case of overkill!! Actually if my wife felt like that I would have to leave her at home!!:thedolls::mickey:

BelleKP
09-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I was going to say the same thing . . . too much of a good thing, you know? Perhaps it's time to plan a solo trip, or a trip without him. A couple years back my DH had no interest, so I went for a 'girls getaway' with my BestF instead. We had a great time! :thumbsup:

kathiep
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I bet it will come back. MY DH normally gets like that. He hates the bounceback offers because he can't even begin to think about another trip as he's winding down from the current one. He normally will also take about 6 months after the last trip before he'll starting bringing it up again.

Maybe a vacation somewhere else will get him back in the swim of things; make him appreciate it again.

Itchy
09-07-2009, 05:35 PM
As a previous poster stated why not take him some place else. I see that you are in Co. but if you could find a 6 Flags or an amusment park like that he would find the love for disney real fast.

Like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz said,
" There's no place like home, There's no place like home".

He will be wanting to go back sooner than you think.

Good luck, I would love to plan another trip now, but have to wait. You know the important stuff as in Money and Vacation time.

beksy
09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
That's so sad! I agree with the rest...hopefully he just needs a little break. I would go with a friend if he doesn't want to go. It would be more fun then dragging him along if he doesn't want to be there. Then you would both be miserable and it is too much money to go for a miserable week (you could do that in any number of places for free!). Good luck with the situation. :wishes:

Disneymom4ever
09-07-2009, 06:37 PM
I am in the same boat with you! My DH told me that he's already been there enough, and he's tired of it! We haven't been since December!! What is he thinking? This is a new one for me as well. Mine said he wants to try new places. Maybe if we take them somewhere else, then they'll want to go back. My DH said then he wants a $1000 bike! So yes, I completely understand. Hang in there, you're not alone! :mickey:

Not2Loud
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Sometimes a few days off so to speak does the trick. I found that even I need a break from the Mouse sometimes. But, it never lasts too long. I love the planning and always want to go back?

IloveDisney71
09-07-2009, 08:10 PM
At least he used to share the love of Disney with you. Mine never really has. In all the trips that me and my 2 dd's have been on, he's only gone with me twice. Thankfully, my youngest dd LOVES Disney. She wants to work for Disney, so I think she'll share the Disney love for a lifetime. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-07-2009, 09:13 PM
If he doesn't want to go, don't make him go otherwise he'll dislike it even more. Go with a friend or family member who enjoys it as much as you do.

buzznwoodysmom
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Why not book a disney cruise in place of your next WDW trip? It would still be disney, but something new. DH and I have both always felt the need to vacation elsewhere. I want my kids to know that there is a whole world out there besides our home and WDW. We've still managed to visit WDW lots (with trips to other places in between), but after our trip this Nov. we've decided that our next disney trip will be a disney cruise, and eventually Disneyland, just to change things up a bit. We've already visited Vero Beach, and would like to visit Hilton Head Island in the next few years and are holding off on Hawaii until the disney resort there is finished being built. There are lots of ways to have a Disney vacation, without it being WDW. Good luck finding a way to bring the love of disney back to your DH.

DVC2004
09-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Mine's not so into it anymore either. However he has a good time whenever he goes. We have begun taking trips to other places to break it up, and I have taken my boys and my mother on a few trips when I needed a fix. My husband didn't mind. I can understand burnout even though I have not felt it myself.

tinksmom02
09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I bet it will come back. MY DH normally gets like that. He hates the bounceback offers because he can't even begin to think about another trip as he's winding down from the current one. He normally will also take about 6 months after the last trip before he'll starting bringing it up again.

Sounds like our DHs were separated at birth! My DH doesa exactly the same thing...

To the OP, that is such devastating news :( but perhaps time will make the heart grow fonder....or there's always a girls' getaway trip!

LoriSan
09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Two trips already in 2009, my DH got a little burned out too. I leave Sun for the World. I'll miss him. :party:

kat70
09-08-2009, 03:23 PM
I understand people who can't get enough of WDW, but there really are wonderful places in the world waiting to be discovered, too... national parks, for instance. The older you get, the quicker the years go by, so maybe now is the time to give your husband the chance to go someplace he's always wanted to see. Offer to start taking turns... next trip he chooses, then it's your turn. I'll bet he'll really appreciate your willingness to compromise. And your next Disney trip will be all the sweeter!

Mousefever
09-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and support! I agree that DH needs a break from DW. We have travelled many different places that aren't Disney: Mexico, New England, South Dakota, Arizona, Pennsylvania, etc. I realize, though, that he might want to stay away from DW for a couple of years. Luckily, I have DS who loves DW as much as I do.

I hate wallowing around feeling sorry for myself, so I've already started preliminary planning for a trip to Williamsburg during spring break. I've been there before (and love it), but hubby never has. I hope that a little time away will do the trick!

Amy

GrumpyFan
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
This may or may not help. Tell him to look at the cost of a major sporting event, like Pro Football or Baseball, or even a college football game. Those prices typically start around $75-90 for cheap seats. The good seats, field level with a good view, go for well over $200.

We were looking at going to a college football game recently, and the lowest priced tickets we could find were $185 a piece, and they were in the upper, upper section. Field level seats were over $800 a piece!

When you look at those prices, a week at Disney really isn't that expensive.

pink
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. If it's helps at all, my family used to go to Disney World once a year and a few years back we were ALL tired of it. So we took a break from it for about three years and went to other places, had a great time. A couple of years went by and I really wanted to go so I brought my DBF. Let me tell you, one day after I got back from my trip and they saw all of my pictures they couldn't have booked their trip any faster. I think Disney love sometimes comes and goes. If all else fails, maybe you could go alone, with a friend or with children if you have any. :mickey:

kemps@wdw
09-08-2009, 10:47 PM
:( OMG! I am sooooo sad for you (and hubby)!
I hope DH NEVER loses the :cloud9: for WDW. Although, given the state of our current economy, it's not hard to see why some have lost "that lovin feelin" for Disney. After all, and let's all be honest, WDW is not the most economical vaca. And even though we'd like to, we simply can't go EVERY year. But we always want to! So come on fellow Intercoters! Join me in sending a little :pixie: to Amy and hubby and maybe he can get some of those positive Disney vibes back!!:thumbsup:

Mousefever
09-09-2009, 12:35 PM
I showed DH this thread this morning and all of your responses put a smile on his face, (especially the sporting ticket comparison). I told him that we have the option of going either to Branson or Williamsburg during Jacob's spring break. Here is the ensuing conversation:

DH: It would be better for me to take vacation in January.

Me: January is not a good time to go to Branson or Williamsburg. Silver Dollar City and Busch Gardens are closed in January. Disney World is the best place to go in January.

DH: Well then, let's go to Disney World!

Me: :jaw: Then: I'm not going unless you want to go and will have fun.

DH: I have fun wherever I am. Ya, I want to go. I need a vacation.

Me: OK, I'll email Wendy at MJ!

The pixie dust and good thoughts worked!!! I think that he could also see that I was willing to take his needs into consideration. Maybe that was all he needed. (Plus the man can pull a 180 like no one else.)

Thanks guys!

Amy

Granny Jill A
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
My husband (now my ex-husband) said the same thing to me a few years back. He was very critical of all things Disney, and vowed he wouldn't return for a long time.

I was so sad to hear that, but I managed to enjoy myself on a solo trip soon after.

Now, of course, he reminisces about what a wonderful time he had a WDW.

Too late ;)

Disneymom4ever
09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for you!! Wow, ok, so now you just say you'll go anywhere, but in January, lol. I'm glad he came to his senses, maybe you could suggest a few new things this trip, like parasailing (well, maybe not in January!), but you get the idea. I think I might try that if my DH will ever even consider Disney again! Have fun planning! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Amy, if he ever doesn't want to go with you, I WILL! :party:

Kathy

pixiesmimi
09-13-2009, 06:31 PM
DH always says that after one of our trips. But when I suggest going back when I'm planning a vacation, he always jumps on it. Of course, he gets his fishing trips in between. :) But it was his suggestion this time with the bounce back offer to make plans to go back, and take the grandkids with us this time. That surprised me because after going the last time with the kids, he said the next time we were going alone. :D He is a softy underneath all that hard exterior. :) He is actually very interested in the new plans for Fantasyland.:D Congrats that your DH has done a 180.

Carolanne
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Yay Amy--so glad this worked out for you!

I'm lucky--DH claims he's the type of guy that doesn't "need" to go to WDW every year, yet for the last 3 years he's been there once a year :mickey:

DH & I are going in November (I'll be there this time next week with my mom!), and this was his trip suggestion--I almost fell over when he suggested it! My mom had been over our house, talking about her trip in May; no sooner did she leave, DH asked, "So when is OUR trip to WDW?"

I'm enjoying these trips while we can. We don't have kids yet, but planning to in the very near future. I won't kid myself & assume we (me & DH or me & DM) can go every year once kiddos are on the scene.

KH
09-14-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you, Amy.

Years ago my wife (also an Amy), didn't feel the magic like our kids (very young at the time) and I did. One Sunday morning we got in the van to go to church, put on the music from "Wishes," and the kids started to sing- "Star light, star bright, first star...." My wife started to cry and from then on she's shared the magic with us.

Thanks for jogging my memory and I hope you have a great trip. We'll be there in January too. Look for us- we're the family of four with the big smiles on our faces. Oh wait, that's just about everyone!!;)