PDA

View Full Version : Son in H.S.- question for cast members

Disneymom4ever
09-06-2009, 02:43 PM
My son is a Junior in HS now, and is trying to figure out his future. (Oh, to be in HS again!). What he KNOWS is that he wants to work at DW. His other passion is culinary-baking to be exact. But not 100% that's what he wants his career to be. Therefore, him saying he wants to go to a private culinary school at $36k a yr is a tough one for mom and dad. He says he would love to work at the bakery on Main St. I told him the opportunities are endless at DW if that's where he wants to be. So... my dilemna. Another option is community college here in Charlotte, they actually have a baking program, to see if he actually wants to do that. But I don't think Disney comes there to recruit for the CP program. And that is eventually where he wants to end up. I guess I'm just wondering how you got there, did you go the college route, did you know what you wanted to do beforehand? Or did you just come in off the street, get a job, and move around until you found something you liked. Just looking for advice, not sure what to do at this point! :mickey:

SBETigg
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Lisa, I'm not a CM but I'm not sure who we have on board to answer this question. I do know that he's putting himself up against incredible odds if he is putting his desired employer ahead of getting the best experience to qualify for employment. It's great that he knows what he wants to do, but he is only a Jr. so he has some time to develop his skills and desires.

If he really wants some sort of culinary career, and he knows this, then paying for the best education toward his career goals makes perfect sense. But odds are that he won't end up working for Disney. Of course, they probably do recruit and employ from all over the globe, but that his particular skill set matches their particular needs at the time is up for grabs. Now, if he's willing to take any job in food service just to work at WDW, that's another story. I'm not sure I would pay for the best education if he'll just end up working in a job that one could do with less education and experience, in that case. So you need to know if the case is that he really wants to work at WDW, no matter what, or if he wants a career in culinary baking, which could put him in a very good career place, but not necessarily (though maybe, if it works out) at WDW. Keep in mind that grants, scholarships, or financial aid may be available for the culinary school. As a parent, I would probably advise him to set career goals and shoot for the dream career vs settling for what's available with his dream employer. If all works out, he will eventually gain the education and experience to work for his dream employer in his dream job, but that could take years of first working for other employers after gaining the necessary education.

Disneymom4ever
09-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow, thanks so much Sherri, that is very helpful advice! He is my oldest, and this is all another new chapter of parenting for us. He likes to bake, but just not 100% sure it's what he wants to do. So that makes it a little tricky when deciding on culinary school vs. other schools. Especially when he says he wants to end up at DW. It really makes sense what you say, you sound like you've done this before, lol. Thanks again for your advice, I appreciate it. :mickey:

SBETigg
09-06-2009, 04:59 PM
My experience is like yours-- I'm a parent hoping for the best and trying to advise as they go along. It's not easy. I'm with you. My son is in college and my daughter is a HS junior. I'm hoping you hear from CMs with background that can be more helpful to your son.

Rosanne
09-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Moms!

I hope I can be of some help. I completed the College Program in fall of 2004 and I have been a Campus Rep ever since (basically recruiting students on my own campus for the program).

Here's my suggestion: help him to apply for the culinary school and the community college. See what he gets scholarship/grant/financial-aid wise. If he has a dream and would like to go into this field, you should encourage him to do everything he could to arm himself with the best resources. This means, if you can't pay for his education, maybe he can take out some loans that will more than pay off in the future.

If he would like to do the College Program :mickey: it doesn't matter if the school he's in has recruiting. I can tell you this for a fact. All he has to do is complete one semester and do the e-presentation. Or, if there's a school by you that does recruit, he can go to a presentation there. He does not have to be a student at the school. It is impossible for representatives from Disney to go to every single school in America.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this thread or PM me. :) Good luck.

Disneymom4ever
09-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Rosanne,
Thank you so much! I had no idea, I thought you had to go to the college that Disney comes to. Well that really helps. At least that keeps the comm. college choice open, if he's still not completely sure about culinary. I will definitely let him know. I'm not sure if you'd know, but I am curious though, if he were attending a culinary school and got accepted to the CP, would they put him directly in a culinary position at DW since they recruited at that school? I'm sure I'll have many more questions down the road, so yes, I would love to PM you if I could in the future! Thanks again, I really do appreciate it! :mickey:

momef3grls
09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
just completed the CP program for culinary in August. She goes to Johnson and Wales in RI and it is one of the best investments we ever made. Going to a top school gives her that head start and also gives her the contacts she needs later in life. She started with Votech in High School and found her nitch. I know in some places there is a stigma that goes along with Tech but she was able to see what she was getting into and get a feel for what she wanted to do. She was actually able to skip her Sr. year and complete both her Sr. year and Freshman year of college at the same time. She loved the CP program and is looking forward to the 6 month program next year. The Chef's at Disney are incredible and they really helped her a lot in her education and in learning the business. Yes Johnson and Wales is expensive and we have 2 other daughters behind her so it was definately something we thought about. We had to take out some loans and she had to take student loans but in the long run she is getting the best start we could give her. Yeah it means less trips to my happy place but in the end she is happy and doing what she loves. If you have any other questions I can try to get you in touch with my daughter she is back at school but she might be able to talk to you or your son and answer your questions. Hope this helps a little.

Disneymom4ever
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Tina,
Thank you so much for the kind words, and great information! It sounds like your daughter is doing wonderful! I will definitely tell him what you said. Johnson and Wales is actually the school here in Charlotte as well. It does sound like a great school, though hard to get into, according to their website. I'm so happy for your daughter, I'm sure my son will find his way as well, he's hoping to be baking at Disney, lol! Does she want to end up at Disney as well in the future?

crazypoohbear
09-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Another JWU parent here! Although my son is in the business part of the college. I highly recommend JWU. If it is hard to get on the Char. Campus apply at the RI campus. It is the largest campus and would be easier to get into. Then your child could always transfer to Charlotte.
I have a friend who works at the Swan and she said they actively recruit graduates of JWU because it is such a top notch school. Not just in Culinary but in every aspect of what they teach.
My son is a sophmore at JWU in RI and loves the school.
Tell your child to follow thier dreams.
Find something you love to do and figure out a way to make money doing it.

momef3grls
09-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes my daughter does want to adventually end up at Disney because the options are infinate. She could go cruise line or any of their properties if she gets bored at one there is always another. I agree with the other posts, my daughter is also at the JWU RI campus. She finished the culinary end and is now concentrating on the business side and also on oneology (wines). She loves it there and the city is great. Not too big that they are lost in the numbers there is still a lot of one on one with the instructors. If you have any questions either pm me or email me. Just use my name here and add verizon.net. I will answer as soon as I can. Good luck with your decision, it is a tough one.