PDA

View Full Version : Would Disney ever consider this?

barbiegirl314
09-05-2009, 01:54 PM
During our last visit in May, as we were fighting the mass exodus out of Epcot after the illuminations show, DS 13 said that he wanted to put in a suggestion that the park stay open for another hour after the illuminations show (and this may work at MK also). That way not everyone is moving towards the exit at the exact time.

He asked me how he could put in his suggestion to WDW so I took him to the customer relations counter at Epcot so that he could state his case. The cast member that we talked to said that it would be something to think about but I don't know if he was just trying to humor him.

I think he had a good idea (and I could be a bit bias :blush:), do you think there's a reason that WDW closes right after the wishes/illuminations shows and is this something that they should consider in the future?

Mousemates
09-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Some pretty nice parenting there on the stopping by guest relations to share his idea.:thumbsup: However, I'm really not sure closing an hour later would alleviate the closing rush problem...for most people, especially at Epcot, seem to stay until closing...so it would probably only serve to push the closing rush an hour later at night as well.

TheRustyScupper
09-05-2009, 02:38 PM
1) WDW is not worried about the rush.
2) This is a guest responsibility.
3) Keeping things open another hour is a HUGE manpower cost.
. . . extra park CM's hours
. . . extra bus/boat/monorail CM's hours
. . . extra utilities
. . . extra vehicle fuel
. . . less time for 3rd shift maintenance
. . . less time for shelf stocking
4) And, a cost without any profit benefit.
. . . people might by souvenirs, nut they would by them anyway
. . . people might buy food, but then there could be a lot of wasted food stuffs
5) For Disney to do things that cost money, there must be a monetary benefit.

lindique
09-05-2009, 03:24 PM
So how about running Illuminations one hour before the park closes?

seanyred
09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
So how about running Illuminations one hour before the park closes?

Don't think that would help things either. Then you would have the same made rush to the rides.

I have this suggestion instead. When you stay for park closing the gift shops tend stay open for almost an half-hour to hour after park closing. So even though there are no open attractions...just go spend your hard earned money...:mickey: Seriously though, take your time when leaving don't rush the exit, enjoy the scenery. Sometimes you get some nice night pictures that way.

ransam
09-05-2009, 07:01 PM
i think if disney kept the park open an hour later, the mass exodus to exit the park would just take place an hour later. Disney doesn't really usually rush you out...so we just take our time....sit on a bench, people watch...maybe shop, explore the park at night a bit....

Polynesian Dweller
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Rusty has covered the cost issues well, and that's a big part of it. But having the fireworks at the end of the day does a couple of other things. It provides a closing show for the day and leaves people with that uplifted feeling you get with a good show and wanting to come back for more. Secondly, it acts as a signal to everyone that the day is done and a cue that its time to go home. That actually makes it easier to get people out in a timely manner.

TheRustyScupper
09-06-2009, 08:42 AM
it acts as a signal to everyone that the day is done and a cue that its time to go home

Probably better than a cattle prod.