PDA

View Full Version : Does Disney Ever Get Too Familiar?

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I recently had my mom and a good friend who has a timeshare near Disney tell me they felt Disney World was losing some of its appeal to them because it was too familiar....I'm the type that as soon as we get home I start dreaming about the next trip:cloud9: Keep in mind we usually only go every three years so its not like we are at overkill....does anyone else think too much Disney kills the magic?

It'sWDW4me
09-04-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't know that it would ever be possible for Disney World to lose any of it's magic for me. But then again, I've "only" had 5 trips in. :blush: But I have noticed a change in my trips between my first and my latest. There are still a lot of things I haven't done and I'm pretty confident that I will, eventually, get a chance to do everything on my "must do" list. I'm not in a rush, rush, rush - I'm slowing down to really take a look at what wonderful surprises/intricacies the imagineers have wrought. Instead of thinking that "if I don't see it now, I never will", I just think "well, next time I'll..."

Nah, I'm an addict and I suspect my addiction will last an immeasurably long time. :cloud9:

DisneyPrincess21
09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I recently had my mom and a good friend who has a timeshare near Disney tell me they felt Disney World was losing some of its appeal to them because it was too familiar....I'm the type that as soon as we get home I start dreaming about the next trip:cloud9: Keep in mind we usually only go every three years so its not like we are at overkill....does anyone else think too much Disney kills the magic?

NO WAY!! I can't imagine ever going to WDW and not being thrilled I am there. But maybe that is just me, I am a "Disney Freak" LOL

So far me and my family went once when I was a kid, then back spring 2006. And for "just this once" for Christmas 2007. And I managed to talk them into going again for December 2008. And me and my mom are going this December.
I can't stand the idea of not going atleast once a year. My mom said "that this is for sure our last trip to WDW for a while". I said, "Mom you have been saying that since 2007!"

Hey if they don't want to go back next year I am sure I can find someone who is perfectly willing to go with me.... But I have a feeling mom will change her mind and want to go. She is a closet "Disney Freak" just not as much as me. She can't express it because Dad doesn't share our same love for Disney :humph: :nono:

I have a feeling that this trip since it is just me and mom, she will be able to be a kid 100% because we both love Disney

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm thinking part of it was we've been at Christmas time every visit and this last visit everything was so crowded we felt we needed to rush a lot to do everything....I'm hoping I can talk her into going back at a different time of year and this time slow down the pace to make it more relaxing....if not, guess mom will be staying at home:blush:

DisneyPrincess21
09-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking part of it was we've been at Christmas time every visit and this last visit everything was so crowded we felt we needed to rush a lot to do everything....I'm hoping I can talk her into going back at a different time of year and this time slow down the pace to make it more relaxing....if not, guess mom will be staying at home:blush:

You should try going in between thanksgiving and Christmas. Everything is decorated but no crowds. I know what the Christmas day/week crowds are like, and the people at the parks after thanksgiving and before the week of Christmas are not even comparable. We went the first time Christmas week and it was insane but still enjoyable. Last year and this year we are going at the beginning of December when the crowd's are very low.

MistressGracey
09-04-2009, 10:43 AM
I have been a Disney fanatic since age 9 (I'm 35 now) and though we make the pilgrimage to WDW every single year, it never, ever loses it's appeal for me. For us Disneyphiles, WDW is much more than a resort with theme parks and rides and restaurants. We go for the feeling it gives us just to be there, I think. I can't ever see myself getting tired of WDW or not wanting to go. Other folks sometimes don't "get it", they say things like, "You're kids are older now. Why don't you go to Hawaii or the Bahamas?" But we are a Disney family, tried and true, through and through, and like the PP said...as soon as we get back from one WDW trip, we are planning our next jaunt to the Mouse House. :thumbsup:

renecat
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Back in Dec. 2006 my DH and I went for 9 days.
The last night when we were leaving Epcot I told him I thought I was in disney burnout.
Well he quit his job that following March so in 2007 had no vacation time. By Easter 2008 my sister said something to me about her & I taking my two youngest Granddaughters. Thats
all it took I was back in disney mode. We went Dec. 2008 and we are leaving this Monday Sept 7th.
So you may feel like you"ve been there done that but it doesn't take long to want to get back again.:cloud9:
Poly: 09/07-09/13/2009

barbiegirl314
09-04-2009, 11:09 AM
WDW will never lose it's magic for me and I've been there many,many times. Many were as a child and several have been as a "grown up" with my DH, DS 4 and DS 13.

We have time share and usually go to WDW about every 12-18 months. I still get that excited feeling in my stomach :yay:when I start planning my next trip and when I get home from a trip I start thinking about when we should go back.:secret:

My next trip will be Oct. 2010 for Halloween and I'm already thinking about what ADR's I want to get and costumes for MNSSHP.

I think what keeps it fresh for us is that we always try to do something new each trip (this past trip it was Soarin' , Test Track and Disney Quest) and we also go at diffrent times of the year. We've been there for MVMCP a couple of times, right before Thanksgiving, early fall and this past year we went in May and got to experience Epcots Flower and Garden Festival for the 1st time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Back in Dec. 2006 my DH and I went for 9 days.
The last night when we were leaving Epcot I told him I thought I was in disney burnout.
Well he quit his job that following March so in 2007 had no vacation time. By Easter 2008 my sister said something to me about her & I taking my two youngest Granddaughters. Thats
all it took I was back in disney mode. We went Dec. 2008 and we are leaving this Monday Sept 7th.
So you may feel like you"ve been there done that but it doesn't take long to want to get back again.:cloud9:
Poly: 09/07-09/13/2009

That's what I'm counting on...when it comes down to it, she'll be ready...plus she's taking two other trips in between so maybe she'll be ready for Disney again...either way, my son and I will be there.....

jrpersinger
09-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Yes -- DH and I are currently in burnout mode. Our trip in Aug was not so great. Bad experience with the WL and some of the rudest guest I have ever seen in my life. It just wasn't that great. We both said before we make a choice not to go back, we are going to take a year off and go back in 2011. But I have to say I have been going for 30 years, several times a year for the most part and this was the first time we didn't have a good trip. So I think odds are, we will be back to our normally coverd Pixie Dust selves soon!

tinksmom02
09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think I'll ever get too familiar with Disney (DH, yes, but not me!). Like others have said, each trip has gotten just a little more relaxing as we get more and more familiar with the parks and what we like and want to see and do.

Every year DH says this is the last trip...and I agree. Then I just sit back and wait for him to say "you know, I wouldn't mind going back." Which he always does, about 4-6 months after the trip. :mickey: Then I quick-book with Terrisue before he changes his mind again!

Red Randal
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm kind of in between. I try to make it one trip a year. I get excited for new stuff I've never done and, of course, the butterflies and excitement really get going when I'm on my way there. But it's certainly not the childhood "can't sleep at all" the nights before the trip.

It's more of a calm and calculated approach for me now. I know when I have to rush but I enjoy being able to take it easy, stop and enjoy the small things, and know pretty much exactly how much I can handle in a day.

Tink1
09-04-2009, 01:16 PM
It's more of a calm and calculated approach for me now. I know when I have to rush but I enjoy being able to take it easy, stop and enjoy the small things, and know pretty much exactly how much I can handle in a day.

I agree, I think it evolves rather than gets too familiar. You get into a more relaxed comfort zone.

I can tell you that working with the business side of the Disney has changed the way I look at the parks far more than the frequency of trips.

I will be going soon with my husband who has not been there in 10 years (he chooses to stay home with the dogs when we do Disney, but goes with us on all other vacations)

It will be interesting to see his take on it as a comparison to the Disney parks of the 1990's.

Nanc

ransam
09-04-2009, 01:52 PM
to me it's nice relaxing feeling...a feeling of after so much planning, saving, working,, i'm finally here....
I can remember in 1999, it was the first time i had gone in almost 7 years...just sitting in the back seat as my gf drove us to the resort and seeing all the billboards, and it was, in a weird way, like i was coming home....
disney can never be to familar, casue every trip is different...it seems i take a different approach everytime i go...

handmaidenofprincesses
09-04-2009, 02:06 PM
:mickey:No way! I think, for me, the better I get to know everything the better it gets. Laugh if you want, but for me, it's like going home :blush::cloud9:

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I do have a "take it or leave it" attitude with some attractions/features. I may bypass them two trips in a row and then when I finally go on it again it seems a little fresher. Test Track is like that for me. I don't think I went on that a for several years, then my last trip just a couple of weeks ago I went on it several times and had a lot of fun!

But there are so many attractions that I will never get tired of--Philharmagic and Soarin, for example. I could on them several times during a trip and they would never seem too familiar.

WorldTraveler
09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
To me this post has different meanings. Having been 25+ times, the theme parks can at times get old. What I mean is if DD is pushing to do attractions over and over she wears me down. So to think of WDW as the parks, my answer would be yes.
But as a resort, I can never get enough. It is the little things that you may not notice that makes being there so peaceful.
We try to do new things each trip and plan some special meals. This next trip in October we will be in the parks 3 of 7 days and may visit the water parks 2 days.
Never get tired of WDW in whole.
Already planning trip for March. Can not get enough.

Daisy'sMom
09-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I have been going to Disney since it opened and will continue to go. Why? Because it still holds all the magic and wonder I felt the first time I stepped onto Main Street. I feel bad for those who have lost their magic. :mickey:

Gator
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Interesting post. I've been 4 times since 2002 and am going back in Jan 2010 - just 13 months after my last trip. To be honest, it's the first time I'm not counting down everyday to go back. It's probably because I was just there for 10 days. Don't get me wrong....I'm still looking forward to being there. It's just that as I get further from that first magical trip and the incredible follow-up, I don't think WDW can live up to the pure joy I felt on those trips.

diz_girl
09-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes -- DH and I are currently in burnout mode. Our trip in Aug was not so great. Bad experience with the WL and some of the rudest guest I have ever seen in my life. It just wasn't that great. We both said before we make a choice not to go back, we are going to take a year off and go back in 2011. But I have to say I have been going for 30 years, several times a year for the most part and this was the first time we didn't have a good trip. So I think odds are, we will be back to our normally coverd Pixie Dust selves soon!

Give it a couple of months. Our trip this past December was the first one where I couldn't wait to leave and didn't get sad when we left. Nothing that Disney did, my SIL gave both me and my DS (then 17 months), which made the trip less than magical. Needless, to say in a couple of months I was itching to plan another trip.

disneykid99
09-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I have to admit that last year when we got home I thought (for a moment) maybe we should go somewhere else this year. But my DH quickly reminded me of what a great family trip WDW is for us and how much we all love it. We are so excited that we did not plan something else. It is the mix of the new and familar that makes it such an enjoyable trip for us. We are counting down - 13 1/2 days :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Interesting post. I've been 4 times since 2002 and am going back in Jan 2010 - just 13 months after my last trip. To be honest, it's the first time I'm not counting down everyday to go back. It's probably because I was just there for 10 days. Don't get me wrong....I'm still looking forward to being there. It's just that as I get further from that first magical trip and the incredible follow-up, I don't think WDW can live up to the pure joy I felt on those trips.

That's a good point...I still want to go back but I do admit there's nothing like that feeling of awe on the first visit.

indytraveler
09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I can remember in august 1998. We took my DD5 and DD3 to Disney. We have been back every year since then except for this year. 11 years later and DD15 DD13 and DS 10 will not make it this year. This is traumatic for them because they have been every year they could remember. (HS sports makes summer travel difficult.) The kids were bummed when we finally told them that October was out of the question this time too.

We still have a flame for the mouse house and we look forward to our next trip. And next year we WILL be back. My guess is that we are a Disney family and will always be one. We have so many memories in the parks of the kids at different ages it makes it hard not to relive those and make new ones.

darthmacho
09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Too much of anything can possibly make someone jaded, but WDW has so much to offer and is always evolving, so the odds are good that the impression will last longer. I feel that I could take a WDW trip yearly and not lose the magic, yet even having said that, I've noticed with each passing trip that I'm more likely to see the flaws in WDW than I would have the previous times. It's that old cliche' that says "familiarity breeds contempt" and even a great place like WDW is subject to that theory. I can only hope that I'll be able to get there more often in order to test that theory. You know what I'm saying? ;)

clou1028
09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Last time I went I was feeling like I was all set on my Disney fix for a few years. Well, that only lasted about a year and a half before I was ready to go again, so we are going again on Sep 23rd, just about a week shy of 2 years. I am not one that "needs" to go every year.

I am sure I could happily go every year if my budget and vacation time allowed for more than one vacation a year. But as it is, my DH and I can only go on one vacation together a year (I say one together because I also take a girlfriends trip every year, and it's high on my priority vaca list). There are other places we want to visit, so I would say we are more likely to go only every 2-3 years.

But I think this is good, because it gives time for new things, hopefully in a three year period there would be at least one new attraction. Not always, I know.

jillluvsdisney
09-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm actally felling that way about our upcoming trip. <<GASP>>

I love being at WDW but rushing to get to a park right when it opens to get on the best rides (like Soarin) really stresses me out.

WDW is also just an exhausting vacation. I really am hoping for more down time this trip. We've made plans to do some things we haven't been to in a fews years also like the Gospel Brunch and La Nouba.

SandmanGStefani24
09-04-2009, 07:27 PM
i think WDW is immune from this kind of thing, but some people can get bored or too familiar with it.

one thing i do is eat something different each time, or ride a new or different ride for each trip. i didnt realize that i was doing so, but it makes the trip unique in a way, and staying in different hotels makes that feeling even more unique. i can do the same thing every time and love it, but changing it up a bit here and there can make it more fun!

Cinderella7299
09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
For me (and my husband), I can't imagine getting too familiar with Disney. It is my happy place...there is nowhere else on this planet that I can go and leave reality behind so easily.

We're passholders and go about once a week. We did make a pact a few years ago that each visit we have to try three new things. After 12 years as passholders, there are still a few things we have not done. Something as simple as walking from Epcot's International Gateway to DHS offers an "experience" that's not as familiar as the monorail or buses.

I've also read the "Imagineers Guide to..." books and will make a point of seeking out the little details that make Disney so magical (Hidden Mickeys too!). Talking to the CMs and other guests might also lead to something new as well.

All that being said, the familiarity of WDW is one of the things that I love about it. It is like coming home. I practically grew up there, I feel comfortable there, and I don't think I could live without it!

:mickey: Ginnylynne

GrmGrninGost
09-05-2009, 11:25 AM
We go once or twice a year for 5 to 9 days and so far it has not gotten the least bit old for me! I find myself thinking about WDW all the time. To me, it is the most wonderful place on earth. I would love to be able to afford to spend more time there! :mickey:

Seasonscraps
09-05-2009, 04:02 PM
One of the things I like about going to Disney is that it is fimilar - we are creatures of habit and know what we like there. We are DVC members so we have been to Disney many times in the past several years. A few trips ago we started to slow down - more resort days, less rope drops, etc. which in turn made vacationing there even more enjoyable. :mickey:

Mousemates
09-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes familiarity can creep into the disney mindset...and for some familiarity can indeed breed contempt (or boredom)...but sometimes familiarity breeds comfort instead.

Thats the way it is for me at WDW. We've ridden all the rides, seen all the shows, pretty much done all the stuff, we know where most everything is and "how things work"...and for us this has allowed us to kind of slow our pace and enjoy our time there more.

Yes, we still get to the parks at opening (because if you know "how things work", you know you can do a lot of riding in those first few hours after the rope drop)...but we no longer are true all day/every day commandos. We ride till the parks get busy, then escape the crowds and the heat and hit the pools or take a nap. Since we've done most everything, we don't feel compelled to ride everything on each trip to get our money's worth...what we miss we always figure we can catch the next time we come. Shoot, some days we don't even go to the parks at all...we just hang out at the resort, meander around downtown disney, catch a movie....or take in some of the other (yes even non-disney) recreational opportunities available in the Orlando area.

Some complain about WDW being a tiring vacation...I understand that...it used to be that way to me (and I really didn't enjoy it all that much)...but not so anymore. I really do relax there now...and its about as no pressure a vacation as anyone could want or hope for.

coneygoil
09-05-2009, 08:12 PM
For us Disneyphiles, WDW is much more than a resort with theme parks and rides and restaurants. :thumbsup:

That is so true! I've gone to WDW 25 times in the last 26 years (and I'm only 27!), and I have never gotten tired of it! I've done so much, but there's so much that I haven't even experienced yet! I can't believe how I keep finding new things to do or look for or places to eat at. It's amazing how big WDW is. Just driving onto the properity and seeing after 6 months to a year of not going is one of the most exciting things! I can't imagine WDW ever being boring.

beksy
09-05-2009, 08:17 PM
For me, I am totally addicted to Disney and feel that I always will be. Real life is so stressful and always has been (mom was very sick when I was growing up, then there was college, and now law school) that when I get to Disney I can just leave my cares behind and totally relax and be a kid again. There's no other place like that for me. Plus there is always something new to discover. Growing up we went to Disney almost every year and one time three times in one year. They were great trips but we were always off-site and never ate anything other than CS in the parks and once at a WS TS. So now we are discovering the different resorts, restaurants, DTD, and all of the other things Disney has to offer outside of the parks. My mom and sister are the same way but Dad can't believe that I would save like this just to go again. :confused: We have only had one bad trip and that was not burn out. Instead, Dad decided on how we would tour and we had to go from one ride to the next and then move on to the next area without any spontaneity. It began to feel more like a job than a vacation. Now, its just us girls and we don't worry about rushing around but enjoy it. I can't see that changing!

AdventurerKim
09-05-2009, 11:15 PM
In our house, there's no such thing as too much Disney anything! We're constantly talking about the next trip(s) and what we'll do and see and what we miss. Talking about WDW and anticipating being there only makes our time there more special and fun. :cloud9:

Tigerinvestigator
09-06-2009, 02:15 AM
NOPE!!!!!!......never happen........no way.....wait a minute....um....nope won't happen!!!:thumbsup:

goofygirl67
09-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I go 3 weeks a year. I try to go when something special is going on.
May-- EPCOT's F&G festival, Star Wars weekends.
Sept--MNSSHP, EPCOT's food and wine
Dec--Christmas
I would most likely get bored if I went during an average day. I also try to get the perfect picture of the different sights. I have pictures of EE during construction.
I find that WDW is my happy place and need to go for a refill every so often. :D:mickey:

A Big Kid
09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
There are things that make me want to return less. One thing that comes to mind is about the only thing you can get for breakfast in the parks is a premade egg and sausage biscuit,,,unless of course you are lucky enough to get an ADR for a (way to expensive) character breakfast.

I want Tony's breakfast back.

johnO
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
We try to mix in new things as well. This coming trip I believe we're eating at 4 or 5 new restaurants. Also throwin in a 4 day Disney Cruise!!:cool:

kemps@wdw
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
How can someplace that changes, updates, adds and subtracts, ever become too familiar? As many times as we have been, we ALWAYS find new things to see and do. And since our DD has gotten older, we are able to slow down and do things @ a slower pace.And take time to really see and enjoy things we were't able to when she was little and we were trying to "do it all!" You'd be amazed @ all the little things you miss...we were!

Marilyn Michetti
09-07-2009, 12:53 PM
We go the first week in Dec., and part of the charm of us "cough" older folks, (65), is that it's warm, and familiar. At our age that's a plus. We're comfortable there, and in eight days, we can see / do everything. We don't waste time with more than 2 - 3 ADR's - just eat where we are, when we want. It's like going back to your hometown at Cristmas, and nobody is going to say, "will you guys PLEASE act your age?":thumbsup:

Dickson Thunder
09-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I think about every other year is just right to scratch our Disney itch but I admit we went every year for a six year period. Due to the economy we (as well as a lot of others) had to skip this time. We're hoping for a return visit in 2011.

IloveDisney71
09-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I love Disney because of its so familiar to me. It brings back so many memories for me. I once went 3 times in an 8 month period! That might have been over-doing it just a little bit for me. Ideally I'd love to be able to go once a year. Then I have time to miss it and then I appreciate being there more. Right now it has been over 1 &1/2 years since I've been and it's killing me! I need a trip soon! :mickey:

brownie
09-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Not yet! Maybe if we went there several times a year, though even then I don't think it would get too familiar.

Belster
09-08-2009, 04:39 PM
There is no way no how Disney will ever get too familliar for me. The older I get the more enthused I get about planning and going. Things are always different when we go even though we try to go every year....we try to change where we stay, who we go with where we eat...yadda ya...

I have never had one trip to the world that was ever remotly the same as any other.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
I think next time we need to slow down, enjoy the little things and stop rushing to get everything done....perhaps that was our mistake:(

TheVBs
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
We typically go every 2 years and that has been wonderful. Since our last two trips to other places were not that fantastic, and since our last trip to WDW was the most amazing yet, we'll probably go back next year.

With all there is to do, it's hard for me to imagine us getting bored with Disney. It's usually the perfect balance of old favorites and new stuff. And over the years, I've gotten better at planning our trips.

Laughin' place
09-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I cant ever imagine getting bored or complacent with WDW (not that Im likely to have the opportunity). All things Disney make up my "laughin' place". As a divorce attorney, father of four, and all the other "grown up" hats I have to wear, I could easily go once (or twice) a year and never grow tired. I would love to go twice a year, once with our whole crazy family, and once with just my darling wife and I. I would love to take "one-on-one" trips with each of our four sons -- I can imagine how different, memorable, magical each of those trips would be :cloud9:
Someday we will be DVC members and get back to my old habit of at least an annual pilgrimage to the place where I can always be a happy kid having the time of my life. Til then, Im here, and anywhere else I can find a little magic every day

MickeyMousse
09-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I have to admit that I was starting to feel that way and then decided to switch up the times of the year that we would go. By doing so, we have experienced WDW at July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and more!

:mickey:

EJS-Houston
09-09-2009, 02:58 PM
I suppose there might be that danger if you lived there and were going to WDW all the time...so I'm happy to go every other year if for no other reason than to preserve the magic.

prprincess
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I think that's part of the appeal for me. That it is familiar. So I'm always guaranteed a great time when I go. Anytime I think about booking trips elsewhere I get nervous because it's so unfamiliar--I'm always scared that trying new places will disappoint me.

ravsluvdisney
09-09-2009, 04:16 PM
We've been several times now at about once a year pace. We MAY go in Feb '10 otherwise it will be our longest break from the World as a family. There is so much to do and see mixing old favorites with new adventures and if you're not going several times a year (would luv to try!!) you have to be psyched to go, otherwise....why go?! :):mickey:

kat70
09-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I often wonder if the REAL Disney nuts who go at least once a year ever go anywhere else... there are so many wonderful destinations in the U.S. and elsewhere to see and experience! If I could afford to vacation every year (suddenly out of work after 24 years with the same company, so travel vacations are on hold after my birthday celebration in December), I'd at least go somewhere else every other year... take a cruise, visit a national park, see our nation's capital, whatever. We've taken cruises to places like the U.K., Canada, Panama Canal, Mexico, Caribbean. Although the countries in Epcot are fabulous, they aren't the real thing. Kids should get to see more than WDW, too, don't you think? IMHO, anyway. What do others think?

mousetrapper
09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Every year DH says this is the last trip...and I agree. Then I just sit back and wait for him to say "you know, I wouldn't mind going back." Which he always does, about 4-6 months after the trip. :mickey: Then I quick-book with Terrisue before he changes his mind again!

My DH is the same way ... we all - especially my DH - REALLY love everything Disney. But for some reason, we (DH, two DDs and me) always seem edgy, sensitive and argumentative at some point (or points) during our various trips to WDW, and my DH always says, "That's it! This is our last trip to Disney!!" I try to encourage everyone to get along and not be so sensitive but inevitably, someone gets ticked off and blows up.

My DH always says our DDs are spoiled and just don't appreciate WDW, hence the sniping, and so we shouldn't go anymore. But we always go back!

I don't think I'll ever tire of it, although I do wish we'd magically be sweet and kind to each other while we're there...it would just be so much more enjoyable for everybody!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-10-2009, 09:02 AM
I often wonder if the REAL Disney nuts who go at least once a year ever go anywhere else... there are so many wonderful destinations in the U.S. and elsewhere to see and experience! If I could afford to vacation every year (suddenly out of work after 24 years with the same company, so travel vacations are on hold after my birthday celebration in December), I'd at least go somewhere else every other year... take a cruise, visit a national park, see our nation's capital, whatever. We've taken cruises to places like the U.K., Canada, Panama Canal, Mexico, Caribbean. Although the countries in Epcot are fabulous, they aren't the real thing. Kids should get to see more than WDW, too, don't you think? IMHO, anyway. What do others think?

That's kind of what my mom was telling me, that she felt like she needed to do other things instead of going to DW again....well she's in the Rocky Mountains right now and we're going to the Smoky Mountains in March so I'm hoping she'll be ready to go to Disney with us again:mickey:

TheVBs
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I have to agree on the comfort factor of knowing what you're getting and knowing you'll have a great time. The last two non-Disney trips we had fell way below our expectations, but were actually more expensive than a Disney trip! That was not something I was expecting when I added up the costs.

Kat70, I think it's a personal choice. We've always planned alternating trips for different experiences. But were actually thinking of going back to Disney next year as opposed to an alternate destination, because we really have incredible family time there, which is ranking higher than different travel experiences. We have some big National Parks trips on our list, we'd just like our youngest to be a little bit older before we go.

Mousetrapper we used to have the same problem on trips (everywhere not just WDW). What we realized is that it was mostly about expectations. We had different expectations and there would be an upset when things didn't go someone's way. We now sit down and discuss how we expect things to go, prepare for comprimises and we haven't had a blow up on a trip in years! :thumbsup: