PDA

View Full Version : Rides with an infant?

mjaclyn
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
DH and I are taking DD 2 1/2 and DS 5 months to WDW next month. We've taken DD before, but this will be our first visit with both of the kids and also our first visit without any helpers (ie. grandma, aunts, uncles, etc) When we first brought DD she was about 11 months old and went on almost everything we did unless the ride had a height restriction. My question: Will this work with a 5 month old as well? He would have to be held by DH or I the entire time and the other person would have DD. Can all four of us go on the rides without height restrictions (basically all Fantasyland rides, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Universe of Energy, etc) or are some of those rides not good to take such a young baby on? We already know that we'll be skipping any loud and dark 3D shows like ITTBAB.

green ranger
09-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I know my 7 month old nephew went on all the rides in Fantasyland.

Georgesgirl1
09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
We did everything without a height restriction when we went with Myers in July. He was 6 months old at the time. We started with rides like Dumbo, It's a Small World and Pooh to gauge how well he would handle them and moved our way up. He loved everything but the Alien scene in The Great Movie Ride, and he only disliked that one b/c the fog made it so he couldn't see DH and me! He sat in our laps or he rode in the Baby Bjorn for all the rides.

teambricker04
09-03-2009, 10:31 PM
We took our youngest for the first time when he was 5mo. I used a carrier for him and it was perfect for standing in line and getting on and off rides as well as riding. We never had any problem riding on rides that didn't have any height restrictions.

I would say the hardest part about that age was the amount of spit up he had... got kind of stinky quickly. Make sure to bring along a wash cloth for wipe downs!

Disney4us2
09-04-2009, 02:18 AM
I brought DD (to Disneyland) when she was 3 mos old. We didn't do too many attractions as she had a lot of colic, was fussy and I didn't want to disturbe the ride for others. Don't forget about the baby care centers. :baby:

mickey&missy
09-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I think you'll be fine!

Take it slow and judge what rides to take the baby on by his reaction to the first few rides. Remember, either you or DH can sit outside or take a walk with the kittle on while the other takes your DD on.

We took DS, now 2 and going on his 3rd trip soon, for the first time when he was 10 months and he had a great time!

Enjoyand have a magical vacation!

kakn7294
09-06-2009, 11:56 AM
The only one I would be concerned about is the Safari. Be sure to support his head well on that bumpy ride! I recommend a baby carrier for waiting in line and for use on the rides themselves. You can also baby swap or use FastPass or the single rider line to ride anything that has a height restriction. Just be sure to ask the CM at the ride entrance how baby swap works as it doesn't always work the same way from attraction to attraction.

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 09:15 AM
In my experience the 5 month old will probably be much easier on the rides than the 2.5yr old. The 5 month old is too young to understand what is going on and is not as easily frightened. At least that was the experience with my three girls, all of who went at that age.:thumbsup:

disneykid99
09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Our kids were the same age as yours are now when we took our DD for the first time (now 6 and 9 years). We took her on everything that we could except Dumbo and the Carpets - I was nervous about the height. Our DS rode everything he was allowed (wanting to ride - all the rides). We did not have any problems with riding things together - if we could not fit we went two and two. We had a really magical trip with them at those ages. I hope you experience the same!:mickey:

ANG
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
We're going next week with our 4 month old son. I'm nervous about some of the rides too but I've heard if you bring a baby carrier it makes it alot more enjoyable.

Joannelet
09-14-2009, 09:16 AM
My sister is green ranger and is the one that spoke about my son who was 7 months in July when we took him to MK. We didn't visit the other parks but we were able to take him on all the rides in fantasyland. The only one that bothered me the most was Winnie the Pooh ride. We had fastpassed this ride and went during our time. When we boarded the ride my DH had my DS on his lap. The cast member told us we couldn't have him on our lap. She made us sit him in between us and hold him up! I was so upset about this because he couldn't SEE ANYTHING! I felt this was more dangerous than holding him in a lap! During the ride I made my hubby pick him up again so he can see. I should have questioned the cast member again because no other ride in fantasyland did that.
We also were able to ride pirates with him. The cast member that I asked was like No problem, he can go!
You will find the baby centers to be a godsend!!! I LOVED LOVED LOVED it and it was sooo helpful! I fed him there, changed him there, prepared his food there. There is even a breastfeeding room that is private for nursing moms (although I had stopped a week before we left for MK so I didn't get to see the room....but the other rooms were fabulous and I highly recommend MK with an infant!
Enjoy your time! and if you aren't sure just ask a cast member at the front of the ride! :)
(we also took my son into carousel of progress and hall of presidents when he was sleeping (we held him) but he had some sleep time in the air conditioning which was also helpful :)

MistressGracey
09-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I have not traveled to WDW with an infant, but I thought I would pass along a tip from another mother who thought Peter Pan was a bit dangerous for a babe-in-arms. I suppose it's just the way the ride swoops around and has some odd angles in it. I wouldn't say to skip it, but maybe hold on extra tight?

Have a marvelous time!

5 DAYS AND COUNTING!