PDA

View Full Version : Dining Question?

Disneyfirsttimer
09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
We are booked for March 27 to April 3. This is the first trip my son is over age 9 (he was 10 in July).

Here is my question. If I don't purchase the dining plan, can he order from the kid's menu at table service? What price would he pay at buffet? Do our key cards state his age?

Keep in mind we are not trying to rob Disney. It is a difficult age. He does not really like foods on the adult menu, and even though a good eater, would not eat "adult pricing" quantities. Not sure what to do. We are hestiating on purchasing the DDP for this reason alone. It seems crazy to pay $47/day (peak dining timeframe - crazy) for my 10 year old.

Any suggestions?

Karyn

It'sWDW4me
09-03-2009, 02:37 PM
I can so understand where you're coming from. My DS is a picky eater. We've gone during free dining for the past few years and I wouldn't have been too happy paying for the DDP with what he actually wound up eating. I believe he just ate corn-on-the-cob and baked beans at the Hoop-Dee-Doo. :shake:

If you do buy the DP, short of lying about his age when you book your trip, you'll pay the adult price. BUT, if he's not happy with the adult menu choices, most TS places will let him choose something from the kids' menu and they'll make an adult-sized meal of that choice. Boy, I wish I would have known that 3 years ago!

If you don't buy the DP, no, his age is not listed on the room cards. Because he'll still be so close to "kid" age, you might not get questioned by the server if you ask for a kids menu.

Good luck - I know what you're going through.

Disneyfirsttimer
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I can so understand where you're coming from. My DS is a picky eater. We've gone during free dining for the past few years and I wouldn't have been too happy paying for the DDP with what he actually wound up eating. I believe he just ate corn-on-the-cob and baked beans at the Hoop-Dee-Doo. :shake:

If you do buy the DP, short of lying about his age when you book your trip, you'll pay the adult price. BUT, if he's not happy with the adult menu choices, most TS places will let him choose something from the kids' menu and they'll make an adult-sized meal of that choice. Boy, I wish I would have known that 3 years ago!

If you don't buy the DP, no, his age is not listed on the room cards. Because he'll still be so close to "kid" age, you might not get questioned by the server if you ask for a kids menu.

Good luck - I know what you're going through.

Thanks for the response! I guess that would work at places you order off a menu. It is just that paying an adult price for a buffet and having him choose kid food is nuts. I wish Disney offered the DP for a "junior" rate like park tickets. 3-9 (kids), 10-17 (junior) and 18+ (adult). Wouldn't that make more sense:bang:.

It'sWDW4me
09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the response! I guess that would work at places you order off a menu. It is just that paying an adult price for a buffet and having him choose kid food is nuts. I wish Disney offered the DP for a "junior" rate like park tickets. 3-9 (kids), 10-17 (junior) and 18+ (adult). Wouldn't that make more sense:bang:.

I was thinking the same thing. Junior dining plan for ages 10-12 or maybe 13? My son's 13 now and can definitely eat an adult sized portion but he ate like a bird at 10 and 11. Just something else Disney is making $$$ from.