PDA

View Full Version : English Bulldogs?

DVC2004
09-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Does anyone have, or know, about english bulldogs? We are looking to adopt from a shelter; I would much prefer to give a good home to a needy "friend". They seem overall good with kids. Are there any special "issues" this breed has, maybe health problems ro anything specific? They seem very sweet and from the research I have done seem to be good family dogs. I am thinking one that is a few years old at least, because they would hopefully would already be housebroken and maybe would be easier for us and the dog. ;) ANy and all input welcome. We currently own 2 cats, but no dogs.

RenDuran
09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
My friend has an English Bulldog and she loves him! He's a true couch potato which is why they wanted that particular breed. The energy level of that breed is very low. He's good with kids. He plays with my 5-year-old so well. It doesn't last long, though. The dog is ready for a nap about 10 minutes into playtime!

Good luck!

nyobabe2
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I have a pug that we adopted which is similar to the bulldog and the health issues we've heard of for both are the nasal problems due to the fact that their noses are all squished up. But we figure, any dog we got was going to have something eventually. Good Luck, you'll know if it's a good fit once you meet the dog.

I do hear to stay away from chihuahuas,apparently they're not great with children and get very protective of their owners.

grumpyguy
09-03-2009, 12:25 PM
let me premise by saying."i think the english bulldog is the best breed of dog ever!!"
that being said mine was 13 yrs old.his name was "dozer".ironically dozer passed away on his birthday,sept 29th some years ago.
he was literally another family member in every sense.my mother would baby sit/dog sit while i was at work,he had his own room,clothes,toys,
you name it and dozer got it.
as a breed i think they are high maintence,daily cleaning of the folds on their face and tail areas is a given.you must be able to provide a ton of attention and you will be rewarded with love and affection like you've never had.
a good,pure pedigree would equate in a healthier,happier dog.this breed for lack of a
politically correct wording is "man-made" dating back to the romans who would put two of these dogs in a ring to fight a full size bull.
hence the name "bull" dog.one dog would jump up and grab onto the bulls nose ring and the other would attack.
the breed has obviously domesticated itseld since those days.
it's like having another kid,so be prepared for that.also,have you checked out websites like the english bulldog rescue?
great dog,great/loving breed,get one and fall in love!!

Tygger7
09-03-2009, 01:20 PM
let me premise by saying."i think the english bulldog is the best breed of dog ever!!"
that being said mine was 13 yrs old.his name was "dozer".ironically dozer passed away on his birthday,sept 29th some years ago.
he was literally another family member in every sense.my mother would baby sit/dog sit while i was at work,he had his own room,clothes,toys,
you name it and dozer got it.
as a breed i think they are high maintence,daily cleaning of the folds on their face and tail areas is a given.you must be able to provide a ton of attention and you will be rewarded with love and affection like you've never had.
a good,pure pedigree would equate in a healthier,happier dog.this breed for lack of a
politically correct wording is "man-made" dating back to the romans who would put two of these dogs in a ring to fight a full size bull.
hence the name "bull" dog.one dog would jump up and grab onto the bulls nose ring and the other would attack.
the breed has obviously domesticated itseld since those days.
it's like having another kid,so be prepared for that.also,have you checked out websites like the english bulldog rescue?
great dog,great/loving breed,get one and fall in love!!

I would agree with trying to work through an English Bulldog Rescue Group/Organization. Just google it and I'm sure you can find at least one in your state.

As far as health issues, I have pugs, which have similar problems....breathing problems due to soft pallette & smashed noses. But, any brachoencelphalic (sp??) breed will have these issues. They can have issues going under anesthesia, so make sure your vet is familiar with the breed's quirks.

The Reservoir Dog
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I have also heard they are high maintenance dogs and their breathing problems are due to a flap over their windpipe. According to a friend this can be surgically removed but breeders are against this because as it alters the breed. (Please don't quote me on this)

Otherwise they are very fun dogs with plenty of character but do get tired out pretty quickly.

Lizzy
09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I would definatly contact a rescue group first. With a rescue group you have a better chance of knowing the dogs medical history, age, temperment etc.

Also, contact the parent club for the breed, as they will be more than willing to help you decide if this breed is right for your family, and be able to refer you to the closest breed rescue.

Best of luck in selecting the next member of your family. From every one I have ever spoke to, not one has regretted chosing an English Bulldog.

Stitchahula
09-04-2009, 09:35 PM
As everyone else has said they have certain issues. Any breed that has the "smooshed" nose you can expect to hear about respiratory problems. They can get over heated easily so you will need to keep a close eye on them for that. The folds in the skin can cause severe skin issues. You will need to make sure it is kept clean and dry to reduce risk of skin infections. They have joint issues because they are over weight a lot of times but that is something you can make sure doesn't become an issue. They are not my breed but I have groomed a few of them and they are loves, just really sweet dogs.

pink
09-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I also have a pug and like the pugs, they do tend to have breathing attacks when they get nervous or excited but it can be quickly healed just by calming them down and getting them some fresh air. The only other thing I can tell you is that bulldogs, any kind, are extremely popular right now and unless you already have set up at a shelter, there are not going to be an abundance there. We usually see breeders selling them for around 1,200 to 1,500 a piece.

I do hear to stay away from chihuahuas,apparently they're not great with children and get very protective of their owners.

We just got a chichuahua a few months ago and based on how you raise them, they can either be very mean and protective of their owners or friendly and happy. They're sweet dogs and very nice to the children we know but they're extremely fragile. I feel like when I even scratch his head I have to be careful not to hurt him. Therefore they're not the best dog for that reason. Bulldogs are more sturdy. :mickey: