PDA

View Full Version : What??? BWV FULL for DVC Members but Available to the General Public?

mjaclyn
09-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I am FUMING!! I have been trying to get into the BWV from 10/4-10/10 for awhile now, waitlisted and calling DAILY to check availability only to be told that there is nothing available at ALL and I just went onto the WDW website to (out of curiosity) request a room only reservation at the Villas. To my extreme shock I saw that they not only had studios available but one bedrooms as well!!! What is going on?? Does Disney block off a certain number of DVC rooms to give to the public when PAYING members are waitlisted for the same rooms? How is that right? I think it's incredibly unfair that my family will not get our choice of resort when we've paid thousands of dollars to join DVC while someone else can just go online and book the exact one bedroom villa that I want. Did I miss that in the contract somewhere? Please help me to understand because I'm very irritated... :mad:

Disdude
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
What is going on?? Does Disney block off a certain number of DVC rooms to give to the public when PAYING members are waitlisted for the same rooms? How is that right? :mad:

Yup. That's been my experience. I was told by member services that there are a certain number of rooms blah, blah, blah (contractual legalese)....

Upset me more than once.

Seasonscraps
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I had the same thing happen - I called member services and said pretty much exactly what you posted. They explained that they have to leave a small percentage of rooms available for cash customers to help keep the maintenance costs down. I asked how much is that really helping to defray costs if they are still available but the CM had no answers and said there was nothing they could do. :thedolls:

mjaclyn
09-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I just checked AKL and BLT and BOTH resorts have every type of room available!! Now I'm REALLY mad. BLT is our home resort!!! What happens if they dont' fill them? I still have to stay at SSR while my one bedroom at BLT remains unoccupied? Does anyone know who I can write to/email/call to complain about this?

lockedoutlogic
09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
This has been discussed about a zillion times....

It's in the fine print of your contract/deed agreement.

Florida statutes require that all ownership resorts....you know...timeshares....have a certain number of rooms available for public use. It is designed for small beach communities that were being overdeveloped in the 70s and 80s....but it applies everywhere.

So it's the way it is and it's not going anywhere...

but here's the real issue: are you unaware that beach club and boardwalk are near impossible to get unless it is a home resort booked outside of 7 months or you're really lucky in October?

Let me guess: you want boardwalk so you can walk into the food and wine festival?

Not an original idea....all 120,000+ DVC members get the same thought practically every year.

:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I just checked AKL and BLT and BOTH resorts have every type of room available!! Now I'm REALLY mad. BLT is our home resort!!! What happens if they dont' fill them? I still have to stay at SSR while my one bedroom at BLT remains unoccupied? Does anyone know who I can write to/email/call to complain about this?

To answer your question...YES...see above

But i do apologize for being harsh...you are new to DVC.
Sorry for the "tough love":thumbsup:

mjaclyn
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Yes, I realize that BCV and BWV are very difficult to get into. We may have just bought into DVC but I've rented points for years and have had rooms booked for me at the 11 month window so I do know how it works. This trip was very last minute due to a trip to DLR being cancelled and us needing to use our points and flights we had already paid for. I didn't expect to be able to get into either one but thought I'd call and try because people DO cancel. BLT was my first choice but I figured it would be even MORE difficult to get in their because it's brand new. And I was thinking of Stormalong Bay for my two kids more than I was thinking about Food & Wine. BLT first choice, BCV second choice and BWV third choice. I checked BCV on the WDW site and there are no rooms available there, so I feel a little better about that. :-)

Maleficent's Dad
09-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Not an original idea....all 120,000+ DVC members get the same thought practically every year.

:mickey:
Dude, last I read, there were over 300,000 members (according to Disney Files!).

lockedoutlogic
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Yes, I realize that BCV and BWV are very difficult to get into. We may have just bought into DVC but I've rented points for years and have had rooms booked for me at the 11 month window so I do know how it works. This trip was very last minute due to a trip to DLR being cancelled and us needing to use our points and flights we had already paid for. I didn't expect to be able to get into either one but thought I'd call and try because people DO cancel. BLT was my first choice but I figured it would be even MORE difficult to get in their because it's brand new. And I was thinking of Stormalong Bay for my two kids more than I was thinking about Food & Wine. BLT first choice, BCV second choice and BWV third choice. I checked BCV on the WDW site and there are no rooms available there, so I feel a little better about that. :-)

Beach club is small and will ALWAYS be hard to get....
Boardwalk is extremely difficult during the fall period....
Contemporary has been open for exactly 27 days...so the demand is on the "high" side.

But you said it yourself, it was on short notice....and that will almost always put you into the "backup locations"...OKW or Saratoga.

I don't mind OKW....i loathe everything about Saratoga. But the DVC membership seems too oblivious to what Saratoga is -
It's 30 percent of all DVC points....it's a cookie cutter- mass produced "property" that was made much too large just to sell off large quantities of points and parkhoppers in the free wheeling "funny money" era of 2003-2008...and it puts huge strain on the "stay where you want" concept that they still use as a selling point but have all but abandoned in construction practices.
But there is a way to solve it.....express your displeasure....don't go to saratoga if you can avoid it....force new development of facilities and services to get it on par with the other locations - which it is nowhere near except OKW....

sorry for the rant....i do hope something opens up for you at one of your other choices....

and i HIGHLY recommend animal kingdom lodge if you can get it.
Many people think "ewww...animals"
But that isn't it at all. It is a brilliantly designed Disney resort....better than anything since probably Wilderness Lodge in 94....and it features nice pool areas, great restaurant choices with some different options, and even still has an educational/ cultural element to it that Disney has turned its back on in most other resorts....

just another option

lockedoutlogic
09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude, last I read, there were over 300,000 members (according to Disney Files!).

Wow...you sure?...i could have swore it said around 130K in the spring of '08....

Am I thinking "contracts" and you're thinking "members'?

Is there a distinction? because that could account for the discrepancy....or maybe i just didn't add right....

It's late....busy day tomorrow:blush:

mjaclyn
09-02-2009, 11:10 PM
and i HIGHLY recommend animal kingdom lodge if you can get it.

I actually LOVE AKL (even in spite of buses which I hate) but nothing was available there either. I have two waitlists going and have been calling daily to request any studio or one bedroom at any of the resorts except for SSR and OKW. When it comes down to it we'll have to stay where there are rooms it just annoys me to think that while I'm waiting to get on an overcrowded bus I COULD be boarding the monorail at my home resort. I guess I just don't get why they can't at least give DVC Members the rooms that DON'T get rented by the public....

DVC Mike
09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Does Disney block off a certain number of DVC rooms to give to the public when PAYING members are waitlisted for the same rooms? How is that right? I think it's incredibly unfair that my family will not get our choice of resort when we've paid thousands of dollars to join DVC while someone else can just go online and book the exact one bedroom villa that I want. Did I miss that in the contract somewhere? Please help me to understand because I'm very irritated... :mad:

Is Disney unfairly holding back rooms to rent via cash? No, this is not the case.

There are two sets of inventory at each DVC resort – those that can only be booked with points and those that can only be booked with cash.

Where do these cash rooms come from?

Exchanges: The number one source of cash rooms is actually from the Member inventory. This occurs when members exchange/trade outside of the DVC resorts. This includes using your points to book the Disney Collection (hotels at the Disney theme parks and the Disney Cruise Line), Concierge Collection, and the Adventurer Collection (but not trading via RCI). When a member trades outside of DVC, the points used to book the outside reservation are assigned to DVD to rent out.

These rooms cannot be booked using points, as they effectively already have been. If I use my points to book a Disney Cruise, DVC has to pay DCL for my trip. They get the money to pay DCL by sending a room to CRO to rent to the general public. If the room was left in DVC inventory for booking by points, where is DVC going to get the money to pay DCL? This room, in a sense, is being used by a member, even though they're not physically there. It's being used to pay for their non-DVC vacation. This is how we're able to get stays at other resorts on our points, so it's a good thing for members. If DVC didn’t do this, we would have to remove the option to use our points at Disney hotels, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, etc. Many members appreciate having those options available to them.

Breakage: Another source of cash reservations includes Member inventory that has not been reserved by members using points. Any Member inventory not reserved by members using points is made available to Disney CRO at the 60-day mark for cash reservations by the general public. This is actually beneficial to DVC members, in that the association earns “breakage” income on these rooms rather than letting them sit empty. Otherwise, our dues would go up.

ROFR: Another source of cash reservations is the inventory of declared points owned by DVD. These points are typically acquired by the ROFR process. Since DVD owns the points, they can rent them out, just like we can rent out the points we own.

Undeclared: These are the units that have been built by the developer that has not yet been declared into the condominium association. Since DVD controls these units, they may be rented out for cash reservations.

Unsold: These are the points that have not yet been sold by DVD to members. Since DVD owns the points, they can rent them out, just like we can rent out the points we own.

TheDuckRocks
09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
MIke, thank you for the breakdown on how this works. As a new DVC member when I signed all the paperwork I remembered that DVD had the options to sell rooms. Your explanation really helps me with the gray area I wasn't quite understanding. Hate to say it but for me it was one of those "Oh well whatever!" things.:blush:

MidnTPK
09-03-2009, 01:55 PM
DVC Mike explained it excellently.

I'll add that this practice is not at all unusual. I've heard similar frustrations with the popular resorts in the Starwood Vacation Network. People who own in less desirable resorts complain that they can't swap into the more desirable resorts, all the while have the units available for cash to anyone willing to pay for the reservation.

The bottom line is you can't bump DVC (or any other timeshare developer/manager) from using the points it owns in any way it sees fit any more than you could bump another typical member from using his/her points in any way he/she sees fit.

BrerGnat
09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
This "general public" inventory is EXACTLY the reason why I have decided NOT to join DVC. What's the point? I can get the SAME accommodations (at a discount, to boot, and take advantage of special offers like the 4/3, or free dining, if I choose) without the huge cash investment. And I don't have to be locked into a contract. And, I don't have to book at 7 or 11 months out. And, I get daily housekeeping. And, the list goes on...

Last I checked, for our upcoming trip next spring, I could pick from virtually ANY DVC property for a 1 bedroom villa.

When we were briefly considering a trip THIS year, to take advantage of the military 40% room discount, I was given the option of: Boardwalk Villas, BEACH Club Villas, BLT, AKL, or Saratoga Springs 1 bedroom villas. This was for a trip in November, that I was trying to book with 3 months notice.

Clearly, there is enough inventory for the general public. Obviously, the fact that they are offering these rooms at a 40% discount to boot means that they have less interest in them than bookings. I tend to be a believer that this trend will continue.

I have read more negative about being a DVC member than positive. Thus, I will remain a cash guest. And I'll STILL probably come out ahead, in the long run...:thumbsup:

momofdisneyprincess
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Well said BrerGnet.

Reading this board, I am amazed when people are upset they can't use their points to trade at a more desirable resort than where they own. If location is that important to you, you should have purchased points where you really wanted to stay instead of saving $$$ and hoping for the best. You get what you pay for. To the OP, I see you own at BLT but were unable to book last minute. As DVC Mike said, if you do not book 60 days in advance you will probably be out of luck. Same holds true for where I own (non-DVC). I know that...if I want to go at a certain time I need to book ASAP. Otherwise, I just may be out of luck and have to bank my points for the next year. Just the way timeshare works. It's not like there is no availability for you - just not your most preferred locations. You will be in Disney. Try to enjoy.

mjaclyn
09-03-2009, 02:56 PM
DH and I discussed whether or not to join DVC at length and when crunching the numbers it was definitely more worth it for us to join. We take at least one disney vacation per year and we always stay at a deluxe resort. The last few years we've been renting points but I was getting tired of having to go through a member in order to change anything, plus there's always the 'what if' factor if something should go wrong. I'm very excited about being a DVC Member and normally we plan our vacations WELL in advance. We weren't expecting to go to WDW this year and actually already have plans to go next year during this same time (I have a countdown on my laptop to tell me when I can call for the 11 month window). After reading all of the posts regarding this policy, although it does make sense it still irritates me that there are DVC rooms that will be empty and there is no way I can stay in one with my points.

MidnTPK
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
This "general public" inventory is EXACTLY the reason why I have decided NOT to join DVC. What's the point? I can get the SAME accommodations (at a discount, to boot, and take advantage of special offers like the 4/3, or free dining, if I choose) without the huge cash investment. And I don't have to be locked into a contract. And, I don't have to book at 7 or 11 months out. And, I get daily housekeeping. And, the list goes on...

Last I checked, for our upcoming trip next spring, I could pick from virtually ANY DVC property for a 1 bedroom villa.

When we were briefly considering a trip THIS year, to take advantage of the military 40% room discount, I was given the option of: Boardwalk Villas, BEACH Club Villas, BLT, AKL, or Saratoga Springs 1 bedroom villas. This was for a trip in November, that I was trying to book with 3 months notice.

Clearly, there is enough inventory for the general public. Obviously, the fact that they are offering these rooms at a 40% discount to boot means that they have less interest in them than bookings. I tend to be a believer that this trend will continue.

I have read more negative about being a DVC member than positive. Thus, I will remain a cash guest. And I'll STILL probably come out ahead, in the long run...:thumbsup:
In the short run, maybe there's savings this year...in the worst recession since the great depression. That's hardly a fair baseline to use as comparison....nor a 'trend' that is likey to continue for decades.

Over the lifetime of the DVC contact, a person staying in the BLT for 7 nights in a studio will pay around $51 a night for its use. This year, that same person will have $87 a night in maintenance fees. So for $138 a night, the DVC member gets a deluxe accommodations for four, but no housekeeping.

Disney sells this same unit, for cash for $430. Plus taxes and up to $50 more a night for more adults. Even at 40% off, it's still $258 a night (plus up to $50 more, plus taxes).

Your other reasons for not buying in are quite valid....especially the commitment and the loss of flexibility. But thinking you're paying less per night for the same accommodation does not add up...you're paying more per night.

BrerGnat
09-03-2009, 03:58 PM
In the short run, maybe there's savings this year...in the worst recession since the great depression. That's hardly a fair baseline to use as comparison....nor a 'trend' that is likey to continue for decades.

Over the lifetime of the DVC contact, a person staying in the BLT for 7 nights in a studio will pay around $51 a night for its use. This year, that same person will have $87 a night in maintenance fees. So for $138 a night, the DVC member gets a deluxe accommodations for four, but no housekeeping.

Disney sells this same unit, for cash for $430. Plus taxes and up to $50 more a night for more adults. Even at 40% off, it's still $258 a night (plus up to $50 more, plus taxes).

Your other reasons for not buying in are quite valid....especially the commitment and the loss of flexibility. But thinking you're paying less per night for the same accommodation does not add up...you're paying more per night.

I love how everyone uses the studios as a comparison. As if I'd even consider joining DVC to stay in a STUDIO? What's the point of that??? The whole selling point of a villa (to me) is the additional SPACE, the closed off bedroom, the KITCHEN, and the in unit W/D.

Your cost analysis is fine, for a STUDIO. Problem is, I wouldn't buy in with just enough points for a STUDIO. We'd need a 1br. For enough points for a 1br, during a more popular time of year (Late April/May), when it's hot enough to enjoy the water parks and swim, which is our kid's priority on vacation. That requires a SIGNIFICANT cash outlay. And skews your calculations as well.

And, just to further my own argument (cause I feel like it). This year is not the only year I've seen discounts on the villas. AAA routinely offers 20% off them. They have been available with the free dining promotion in the past few years as well (although, to be fair, I am aware that the room rate is rack for that).

However, if not in the villas, we'll just book 2 rooms at a Deluxe resort at a discount. There is NO WAY you can argue that ROOM ONLY discounts have been sparse. They have been pretty continuous and predictable for the past, what, 10 years, in some form or another? I have been visiting WDW on my own dime since I was in college, so 11 years now. I have NEVER paid rack rate on a room there.

Disney wants you to think that joining DVC is some great secret passage into saving lots of money on your resort accommodations. But, the truth is, by taking advantage of the discounts Disney ALWAYS offers, and planning trips around THOSE DISCOUNTS, you can end up paying the same amount or less over the same period of time WITHOUT the commitment of having to spend all the money up front (and in yearly maintenance fees).

VWL Mom
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I love how everyone uses the studios as a comparison. As if I'd even consider joining DVC to stay in a STUDIO? What's the point of that??? The whole selling point of a villa (to me) is the additional SPACE, the closed off bedroom, the KITCHEN, and the in unit W/D.

Your cost analysis is fine, for a STUDIO. Problem is, I wouldn't buy in with just enough points for a STUDIO. We'd need a 1br. For enough points for a 1br, during a more popular time of year (Late April/May), when it's hot enough to enjoy the water parks and swim, which is our kid's priority on vacation. That requires a SIGNIFICANT cash outlay. And skews your calculations as well.

And, just to further my own argument (cause I feel like it). This year is not the only year I've seen discounts on the villas. AAA routinely offers 20% off them. They have been available with the free dining promotion in the past few years as well (although, to be fair, I am aware that the room rate is rack for that).

However, if not in the villas, we'll just book 2 rooms at a Deluxe resort at a discount. There is NO WAY you can argue that ROOM ONLY discounts have been sparse. They have been pretty continuous and predictable for the past, what, 10 years, in some form or another? I have been visiting WDW on my own dime since I was in college, so 11 years now. I have NEVER paid rack rate on a room there.

Disney wants you to think that joining DVC is some great secret passage into saving lots of money on your resort accommodations. But, the truth is, by taking advantage of the discounts Disney ALWAYS offers, and planning trips around THOSE DISCOUNTS, you can end up paying the same amount or less over the same period of time WITHOUT the commitment of having to spend all the money up front (and in yearly maintenance fees).

We usually vacation the first week in November and purchased enough points for a 2bdrm at WL for 7 nights. When I take our purchase price, divide that by the number of years, and add current dues it comes out to $1950.00/week. IMO you would be hard pressed to get 2 deluxe rooms for 7 nights for that rate.

MidnTPK
09-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Well, here's an analysis with your parameters:

300 Points at the BLT (which would get you the 1BR unit in prime season for 7 nights) works out to around $91 a night for your upfront purchase. Maintenance works out to $157 a night for 2009. So we're talking $248 a night.

That same one bedroom rents for $530 a night. Plus taxes and fees for additional adults. Even at 40% off (which is not as deep as the discounts get in the season you are talking about) its still $318 plus tax.

Please do some calculations of your own to refute my estimates.

I've never paid rack either. But owning in the DVC is still cheaper for the same accomodation...see above.

BTW...I looked into getting 2 deluxe rooms this year instead of BLT was way more expensive than the 1 BR villa. I believe deluxe monorail resort rooms came down to the $200 a night range per room.

I get where you are coming from. The amount of savings is overstated by salespeople....but there is a nice savings off what one would have paid even with the best discounts.

And the decision to spend $30,000 on a vacation property (plus annual dues) is one that should not be entered into lightly. But it does provide the annual WDW deluxe resort visitor with a substantial savings, over the long term, for deluxe accommodations. Especially for people who want or need to vacation at specific times and don't have the flexibility to move around for discounts.

And if you don't want or need the additional space and luxury that you get in a villa, and you don't intend to stay in that quality of resort in the the future, then I agree it's a dumb, decision to buy-in. But that's not the same as saying the numbers don't work out. If you're happy with a Pop century room, there's no need to pay for a BLT 1 BR, and comparing those tow numbers will never work out.

Mushu11756
09-03-2009, 07:14 PM
First I want to say I'm sorry you did not get what you were hoping for and I hope it works out for you!

Second I would like to say to all the Intercot members that say they would rather pay cash for our deluxe villa's then join, because they can get the rooms cheaper then we can. GO AHEAD! at any discount your still paying an arm and a leg to stay at the deluxe level.... and try paying for those same accommodation's year after year for multiple times a year! So stop being cheap and staying at POR , AS,PS and put your money where your mouth is!

You sound like bitter people who would love to join but for what ever reason you cant! So it's easier to beat up DVC and say you could stay there anytime you want...... Sure you can...

I apologize to the rest of Intercot and the administrators for my rant... I feel better now.

DVC Mike
09-03-2009, 07:30 PM
There is NO WAY you can argue that ROOM ONLY discounts have been sparse. They have been pretty continuous and predictable for the past, what, 10 years, in some form or another?

The volume of visitors to Disney is cyclical and the discounts available will vary based upon various factors.

The parks were pretty busy until September 11, and then prices fell and discounts became available. Prices rose over the years and discounts became less and less until the economy tanked. Then, prices fell and discounts became available.

Over 50 years, I'll know I'll get a great rate on a great villa at WDW, year after year. Those paying cash for the same villa over those 50 years will pay more, even with a few years of cheap discounts here and there.

WDW is the most popular tourist attraction in the world. Yes, the discounts may fly when the economy tanks or if some event causes people to re-think traveling. But the deep discounts you're seeing this year will become scare once things turn around.

DisneyDudet
09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I understand the frustration about the cash rooms being available, while we're not given a room where we want. We were told this december (a whim trip) there was not a single studio available for the days we wanted. Now, we did not look on the website, as it would only make me mad. What we did, is we told them we could not be flexible on our dates, and they found one studio that was open at OKW on the night we arrive, then one for the rest of the trip. We were waitlisted for the one to go along with the 3 other nights, but we have a place to stay all nights, and at the same resort! While it may not be my home resort, or even 3rd choice, I don't mind because my trips are being paid for monthly and not all out.

Prior to buying DVC, we would only be able to stay at deluxe std view if it were w/ an AP discount, otherwise, we were staying at Values and Mods. We are now thankful that in 10 years, our vacations will be paid for (maybe sooner if I put more toward principle). Plus, the price doesn't increase for me, as the Rack Rates have. With DVC, we can take BIG vacations, which we can plan way ahead of time, so that works for us. The only problem are the 'whim' trips, but I usually take what I can with those anyway. SSR is the bottom of my list, but Its a 'paid for' vacation, so I'll stay there!

I may be new to the whole thing, and still in my 'honeymoon' phase of ownership, but it hasn't steered me wrong so far! Plus, we just got back from DLR, and the food discounts at almost every dining location (TS and CS) was AMAZING! I bet we saved nearly $75 on dining alone with just being a member!

DVC2004
09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
The developer (DVC) own's 2% of every DVC resort therefore controls developer inventory. This is what they rent out to those paying cash to earn revenue. So yes, it's totally possible that you could not be able to to book a resort on points because there is no member inventory, while there may be still developer inventory available for cash.

Ian
09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I got kinda cheesed earlier this year about the same thing when my cousin was able to book a THV for cash and I wasn't able to get one on points (and SSR is one of our home resorts!!). But then I got the same explanation you just did, so it made me feel better about it.

As far as the value of DVC goes .... as much as everyone on both sides of this argument likes to throw around facile "analysis" of the alleged value/non-value of DVC, the truth is not a one of us has any clue as to whether or not it will really pay off over the life of the contract.

In many ways, a DVC purchase is an emotional purchase more than it is a financial one. I think most of us owners, if hard pressed, would tell you that we don't really know for sure that we made a wise financial decision. A lot of owners may think they did, but I doubt many (if any) could prove it mathematically.

A very, very complex analysis would be required to prove or disprove DVC's inherent value. You'd have to factor in expected inflation rates, lost investment potential, expected increases in annual dues, possible discounts, possible contract appreciation, and on and on and on to arrive at even a questionable conclusion.

There are also innumerable factors that really can't be accounted for ... like Nat's family being a military family. If they can stay at Shades of Green and get discounted passes every year, then for her family it would be a very different analysis than for someone else's.

The bottom line is that I bought in to DVC knowing full well that, while I suspected it would benefit me financially to some degree or another, I really bought because I liked the idea of locking down some very, very small ownership interest in Disney World. I'll fully admit that, while I did at least a simplistic financial analysis that seemed to come out on the plus side, my purchase was more emotionally fueled than anything else.

Jeffybob
09-09-2009, 07:06 AM
The bottom line is that I bought in to DVC knowing full well that, while I suspected it would benefit me financially to some degree or another, I really bought because I liked the idea of locking down some very, very small ownership interest in Disney World. I'll fully admit that, while I did at least a simplistic financial analysis that seemed to come out on the plus side, my purchase was more emotionally fueled than anything else.

Well said, Ian!

DVC ownership, or any timeshare ownership for that matter, is not one size fits all. People need to do the analysis and figure out what works for them.

At present, deals of all sorts are being offered but that has not always been the case. People need to think long term and not only for the moment.

In our situation, this purchase has more than paid for itself and then some plus added flexibility for multiple short stays in Orlando and to also enjoy Disneyland Paris, something that most likely would have not happened if not for DVC ownership. However, we will be sailing with DCL for our 3rd time and have never considered using points for those trips.

All people are different and need to make decisions based on their own situations. This board will not be able to do that for you but only give you things to consider.

-Jeffybob (Boardwalk DVC Member since '98) :mickey:

2009 - BWV (2), DCL - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - BWV (2)
2007 - BWV
2006 - DLR (2), SSR, BWV, DCL - Western Caribbean
2005 - HH, BWV (2)
2003 - BWV
2002 - BWV, Disneyland Paris
2001 - BWV, DLC - Bahamas
2000 - BWV
1999 - BWV, HH, VB
1998 - BWV, Swan