PDA

View Full Version : Chicken...Bock, Bock, Bock

Rekenna
09-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi All! So DS10 and I are, well we are chickens-there I've said it.

We have never rode EE, ToT, or SplashMtn.

We have however rode RnRC and SpaceMtn, in fact SpaceMtn is one of his favs (sadly it will be closed while we are there). And we survived RnRC which is pretty intense somtimes-to us cluckers at least.

Since we are dedicated to the magic that is WDW, we have been shyly discussing this bold new adventure of riding the "scary" rides.

So, if you would please give me the skinny on these experiences. Specifically the big drop factor.

I hate missing all the themeing of these rides-I think I have myself talked into Splash and EE, but am really, really iffy on ToT (and I love, love, love Twilight Zone, so it's an extra shame that I am such a wuss). BTW-my 3 year old would ride any of these with no reservations if he could reach the height limit-HA!

Please help!

artyboy
09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Tower of Terror is awesome...you really should give it a try!

The drops are fun and fast, but the overall experience is so worth it.

...come on...you can do it!

Granny Jill A
09-02-2009, 03:27 PM
As someone who grew up terrified of roller coasters, I finally overcome my fear at the age of 24. I still get butterflies, but I also get a feeling of exhilaration when I come off the ride.

You and your son will enjoy the TOT. I compare the drop and rapid rise to going high on a swing. It's the anticipation that gets most people. You don't know WHEN it's going to drop. Once you do it, you will laugh about how scared you were and you'll want to do it again and again.

Splash is super-fun and the drop isn't nearly as intense as it looks from outside the ride. It's smooth, fast and wet. Like going down a slide at the park.

EE is my absolute favorite coaster now. It's fast and intense. The backward spiral was scary to think about, but I found it the best part of the ride. If you can ride Space Mtn., then you can do EE. Just keep talking to each other on the way up the lift hill and enjoy the view from the top.

Good luck.

prprincess
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
Don't feel so bad! I'm personally chicken to ride Mission: Space, and trust me, I'm a total thrill ride person, but I don't know what it is. I think you just have to go, muster up the bravery, and do it! I'm promising myself and DS that I will definitely ride when we go down in November. I'm sure I'll be fine.

So do all three. They're definitely great rides. ToT is my ALL time favorite!!

SBETigg
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey, you've ridden RnRC! That's a biggie. I think you're not giving yourself enough credit. What to expect (with spoilers).

First, EE:
Have you ridden Big Thunder Mountain RR at MK? It's pretty tame. If you haven't ridden it, start there and work up to EE. There's a slight similarity between them, only EE is more intense (but maybe a smoother ride). You feel pretty safe on the EE cars, actually. There's a height factor, if heights are a problem, but that's only for a minute as you're starting out. There's a backwards drop in the dark- feels endless while it's going on, it spirals, but it's really not that bad. There's a big drop after that facing front, in the light, but it comes and goes so fast that you barely have time to react. And you're feeling very secure in your seat, so the fear factor lessons.

Splash Mountain (probably the tamest of the three, and the one I would absolutely not want to miss because of the theming and storyline inside- it's adorable!): The great thing about Splash is that it starts out pretty tame. There are a bunch of little drops that get slightly bigger and begin to prepare you a little bit more for the one big drop. Plus, there are cute animatronics and a happy little song to keep you distracted along the way. The rise up to the drop is slow and there's a build-up that might be intimidating. But- it's not as bad as it looks from the ground watching people drop. At the very top, for a second, you may think "Oh my gosh, what am I doing here?!" But, it passes quickly because before you can really panic, you're going down and you realize it's exhilarating and fun and you think "Oh, did we really go down that big hill?" before you get splashed in the face by a water cannon or backsplash. Fun!

And finally, ToT:
Yes, this one's pretty wild. There's a good spooky show leading up to the final elevator shaft that builds suspense and makes you a little uneasy. Then you're in the shaft and you think, Okay, here we are what now--- AH!" Then you fall. Unexpectedly. Like the floor went out from under you and you're dropping down! I know I'm safe but I'm always shrieking and my stomach does flips. Because after you drop, you go back up, and down, and up, and down-- and it goes on for a little bit before you know it's finally over. My heart races. My hands get clammy. I laugh giddy, nervous laughter that turns into honest hysterical fun laughter. Because it is a lot of fun. But if you don't like drops, this one could really get to you.

It'sWDW4me
09-02-2009, 03:42 PM
If it's any consolation, I'm just this side of the chicken coop fence, myself! :secret:

However, that being said, if you've already ridden (and enjoy) SM and RnRC then by all means go on Splash Mountain! The big drop can be a little intense but it's only intense for a few moments and then it's exhilarating. IMHO, Space Mtn is way more intense with the up, down, side to side herky-jerky (don't get me wrong - I do like SpaceMtn too).

And ToT..... well, I avoided that one for years. I tried it last year and I love it, love it, LOVE it!! The drop sequence was so very smooth that I was only able to tell that we were falling when my squishy backback (which I had on backwards in front of me) was literally levitating! I was howling it was so fun. ToT is now one of my "must do" favorites.

EE.... if you can do EE you can most certainly do ToT and Splash. That's all I'm gonna say about that one. :sick: :ack:

Good luck and have fun!:number1:

Buttercup
09-02-2009, 03:55 PM
In regards to Splash Mountain, it is a really nice LONNNG ride. Don't even think of it as a thrill ride, because it's not. It's fabulous, especially if you like dark rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. Lots to look at, and you're just floating along in a boat. Easy-peasy. There are a couple little (and I mean LITTLE) hills, but they are so small they aren't even worth mentioning. If you can walk down a ramp, you can handle those hills. The 'big' drop is only at the end - it's like 3 seconds TOPS out of a 20 minute ride. They don't even have seat belts in the flume boats because it's really not as big a deal as it looks when you're watching from the ground. It just feels the same as when you're going over the falls in Pirates - only slightly longer. So you can DEFINITELY do this one. It's a favorite of so many people because it's truly, magically Disney! :mickey:

Expedition Everest is great too. Oh my gosh, if you've braved Rockn' Rollercoaster and Space Mountain, EE is going to seem like no big deal to you! Have you ever been on Thunder Mountain? It's like that, only I find it's 'smoother' of a ride. There is a small part that goes backwards, but I don't find it feels any different than going forwards - so I barely notice that.

As far as Tower of Terror goes, it's great too! Now, the theming of the lineup might make you want to chicken out. Everything is so gloomy and dark, you watch a spooky Twilight Zone video in a dark library, and there's thunder and lightning outside the windows (think: Haunted Mansion-ish). But all of that is just theming. The drop itself is smooth and just gives you that feeling that you drove over a hump in the road too fast and your tummy gets butterflies. Do you know that feeling? Again, there is a whole ride beforehand where you visit a couple different floors of the hotel, and the elevator actually comes out of the shaft and moves around. It's a cool ride! The dropping part is at the very end, and it's over in less than a minute. It also offers you an INCREDIBLE view of Hollywood Studios, one that can't be missed! :)

You can do this! You really can!

marylynne95
09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I agree with all the previous posters. Then again I am fearless, I go on everything!! I rode Expedition Everest for the first time with my hands in the air the entire time. I also always have my hands in the air on Tower of Terror. I am CRAZY!! I have gone with people who are afraid and then they go on the rides and they love them!! YOU CAN DO IT!! :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Add me to the clucker club. I won't do any of those, although I love Test Track. My DD 9 will go on anything. I don't like drops. The most I will do is POTC:D

Giggy
09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm possibly not in the best position to comment here. I have no fear of heights or rides that go high at all. * Of the rides that were there on my last visit I think Summet Plummet is the only high one I haven't done. I was put off by the queue which I've since learned moves faster than it looks, I plan to do that next time though. I've not been on Expedition Everest admittedly but seeing as they were building it when I last went that would have been a bit dangerous. :D

Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain are both great rides however, probably my favourite two in their respective parks. Splash is possibly my favourite ride of all time, I see it as the ride which has EVERYTHING. Neither are just heights and thrills for the sake of it, they have excellent theming that needs to be seen first-hand to be fully apreciated. I'm pretty sure you will enjoy them both and once you've done it will want to do it again.

Splash Mountain perhaps eases you in a bit more gently with anamatronics, music and a story line. There are smaller gentler drops earlier on and although just before the big drop there is a lot of build up you are already on the ride by this point so doesn't lead to a situation where you may "chicken out". Mym mum hates rides with big drops, she did Goofy's Barnstormer in 1998 as "it's a kids' roller coaster" and vowed never again. She's heard a lot of good things about this ride and has shown an interest in trying this (and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad) if she is feeling brave on the day.

I doubt we would convince her to try Tower of Terror but I think the combination of the theming, effects and the drop gives a great overall experience. The entreance and queuing area naturall a lot more intense but it may help to focus on how impressive the theming is and how every fine detail has been taken care of. There is a lot of build up to the drop as it is the main focus of the ride, however once you work up the nerve to go into The Hollywood Tower Hotel and walk through the lines into the lift you are there.

Both great rides and I say go for it, You'll be glad you did! I've heard only good things about Expedition Everest as well and look forward to trying that one myself.

* I was however scared of the Country Bear Jamboree when I was little. On my first trip in 1998 (aged 8) I enjoyed it except for being creeped out by the talking animal heads. Animal heads/antlers on a wall creeped me out at the best of times and these ones were talking to each other! When I returned in 2001 (aged 11) I was reluctant to go back as I knew they'd be there. You'll be pleased to know I did go in and enjoy myself and finally on my third trip (2004, aged 15!!) I went in with no hesitation whatsoever. :blush:

Soccermom12
09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I don't like roller coasters at all. When we went to Disney World in 2006 I was pregnant and luckily couldn't go on any of these rides. We just got back and I am happy to say I rode Splash Mountain and BTMRR! It took me to the second day to get up the courage.....the first day I stood there watching the drop over and over while waiting for the rest of my family to ride, and I chickened out. The second day at MK, I went right on before I could change my mind. The ride was no where near as bad as it looks! The drop is more like POTC - just a little longer....and its over in 5 seconds...trust me I counted. The worst part is the anticipation going up the last hill before the (not so big) drop.

My advice is ride these early in the morning before the line gets too long, so you won't have a lot of time to think about it, and DON'T watch the ride before you go on!

ransam
09-03-2009, 12:37 AM
you will love TOT.....do it!!!

Rekenna
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks everyone for cheering us on! I am starting to feel an itsy, bitsy, bit braver. I will show all your comments to DS10 to try and convince him to go with me. Can't wait! :mickey:

VWL Mom
09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Fellow chicken here.....the only one I do is Splash Mountain. I just love the story line. There is the one big drop but the vultures and ascent up the hill let you know when it's coming. The drop is very quick and done before you know it. If you do RnRc & SM I would say give it a try.

RBrooksC
09-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Each time I ride ToT, I don't hold on. I don't raise my hands but I find not need to actually hold on. The restraints in the car are enough to keep you safe and not holding on gives a great feeling of weightlessness.

coneygoil
09-03-2009, 08:36 AM
I rode ToT when it first opened. I was scared but liked it. BUT, a year later, I was so scared that I didn't ride it again until '04! I have ridden it many many times after that and have loved every minute!

SM has no seat belts. Hehehe, it's fun how gravity keeps you in!

disneykid99
09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
My suggestion would be start with Splash Mountain. It looks much worse than it is and has a great long ride inside. :mickey:

ToT is not my cup of tea either :blush: but I do it once a trip for DH.

EE is a thriller to me - as much as RRC but it is really fun. I brave that one a few times per trip.

The man thing is - do what you are comfortable with - its your vacation :mickey:

redlegwife96
09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Splash Mountain...Great ride with gentle drops until the final drop, which of course is what you see when you walk by. The final drop isn't nearly as scary as it looks. My kids were a bit leary, but when they finally went on, they had a blast.

Expedition Everest...One of the smoothest roller coasters I've ever been on. DS and DD don't like Thunder Mountain, but love EE. We went on this five times in a row, and can't wait until Dec to go on it again.

Both rides above are two of our favorites...now to ToT...

I am a fearless rider and will ride anything once.

Did ToT in Disneyland and will never go on it again...or at least for a long time, and haven't let the kids (11, 10, 9) do it either. I think it all depends on what kind of motion you can stomach. Coasters are more of a forward motion, but ToT makes you feel like you are freefalling and I am in no hurry to experience that again. And with several "freefalls" in a row, I couldn't wait to exit that ride. There were several children that did it alone, and appeared to have a great time in all fairness.

If I were you, and this is just my opinion, I would go on the ToT without your son and try it first. If you can handle it, and think he can too, then by all means go for it. My kids love rides, but I know them well enough to know they aren't ready for ToT. It was the first ride that I felt like a chicken on.:chicken:

By the way...DH loves the ride and has teased me for years about not going on it again.

Have a wonderful trip!

stitchaholic
09-10-2009, 08:20 PM
we are thrill ride addicts and will ride all several times in a row,but the disney rides although awesome,are not nearly as crazy as any 6 flags coaster would be.
my kids were way too scared to attemp TOT 2 years ago,and i convinced them to go last year,and they loved it.
it really is the anticipation that is worse than the ride itself,i suggest that you go on you tube and check out the rides in action,sometimes it helps knowing what you are in for.
EE in my opinion os the best of the thrill rides.
take the plunge,you won't be sorry!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-10-2009, 08:59 PM
If you can do RNR you can certainly do the rest of them. Splash is fantastic with just one drop. I just close my eyes and duck my head for the big drop. EE was more intense especially the backwards part. You don't want to close your eyes for that part as it might make you dizzy.I did ToT once and didn't like the random drops. But I don't like the feeling of your stomach falling to your feet.

kemps@wdw
09-12-2009, 11:47 PM
EE... GREAT! Run-a-way train thru a beautiful mountain...until you come upon the ripped-up tracks and have to go backwards in the dark to get to another way out, and past the Yeti. :thumbsup:
TOT...My Dh and DD LOVE it and would not miss it. Scary haunted hotel, broken elevator randomly dropping you (faster then gravity) and lifting you to the top (although I'm not into the whole drop thing) :thumbsup:
Splash Mt...Must-do for us every trip. As good as the drop is (and it is good...all wet, 5 stories of it), the journey you take to get there is just as good. Thru the Briar Patch w/Brer Rabbit, Bear, and Fox, and all their friends!:thumbsup:

dinahvixen
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Just wondering...
Can anyone compare the big drop in EE to the big drop on Splash Mountain to me? I like EE, although a timid coaster rider, and I can take the big drop during that ride, but SpMountain looks so much worse to me. Can anyone compare the slope of the hills or compare them in terms of intensity?
Thanks!

SBETigg
09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Just wondering...
Can anyone compare the big drop in EE to the big drop on Splash Mountain to me? I like EE, although a timid coaster rider, and I can take the big drop during that ride, but SpMountain looks so much worse to me. Can anyone compare the slope of the hills or compare them in terms of intensity?
Thanks!

They're both over very quickly. The EE drop is longer. I'm not sure but it might be steeper as well. The Splash drop looks like it would be a lot scarier than it is. The drops don't feel the same at all. I think the Splash Mountain drop is much easier, actually. Much less intimidating. When you're going up and at the top, it seems like it's going to be scary but then you're over the top going down and it's nothing. And if you don't do it, you're really missing out, because Splash Mountain is such a fun ride with all the animatronic scenes, storyline, and songs.

Rekenna
09-16-2009, 05:58 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone with their well wishes and tips. DS10 and I watched some youtube videos of Splash, EE and ToT (not the real thing I know, but we are going for impressions here). So I am a yes for EE, and Splash, DS10 is a yes for EE and possibly Splash. I am a queasy :sick: maybe for ToT (I really don't want to miss it b/c I'm a fraidy cat, it looks really cool) and DS10 was a firm NO for ToT. We have about 38 days until we are there-AK is our first day so we will be geared up for EE.

I will let you guys know! Thanks a bunch! :yay:

stitchaholic
09-16-2009, 06:38 PM
can't wait to hear how it went!:coaster:

Dickson Thunder
09-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Splash Mountain is our family favorite. I also like to ride TOT as least once per trip. I have rode EE but probably wouldn't ride it again. (The backwards part was a bit more intense that I had expected)

;)

thejens
09-20-2009, 11:43 PM
I have always been afraid of coasters and have never dared RR! Something about WDW has made me brave, though, and I have done the three you mentioned. The only scary part of Splash is the last drop. I watched it several times and timed the drop 1-2-3. So when we came to the top (and I thought what was I thinking!?) I just closed my eyes and counted 1-2-3 and it was over that fast. Nothing is too scary if you know it is over 1-2-3. It is one of my favorites now.
EE- I don't really get the comparisons to BTM. For me the scariest part is the anticipation on the way up. All the drops are so fast and smooth they are not too bad. The effects are a lot of fun and for some reason the backward drop is so smooth and curved it isn't scary for me. It is only a little scarier than Space Mountain. I think you will like it.
TOT I hate drops and was really frightened of this my first time. The anticipation is the worst. The drops are not as scary as the moment before the drop. The first time the drops were really big drops and I actually felt like I was floating since I lifted slightly off the seat. I loved it. The second trip there were shorter drops and I actually enjoyed it less.
I think you will be fine trying out all three of these rides if you feel up to it. Now, if you can talk me into RR....

Rekenna
09-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Now, if you can talk me into RR....

Thanks for the tips for EE, Tot and Splash-I am getting braver by the day-of course I could wimp out at the last minute-I have been known to do that! :blush:

As for RnR-what got me to get on this ride is that there are no large drops, there are 3 loops, but they happen so fast you barely know you are going upside down. The initial pull at the beginning will get you in the tummy-I think it goes from 0-60 in seconds. The inside is pretty cool with the neon signs and the music is always fun of course. The ride can be a little rough, and the harnesses are the kind that come over your head, which I always find makes for a more rough ride-I guess b/c your head hits the harness.

When are you going next? We are going the last week of October. I will make a deal with you that if I ride 2 new rides (hopefully 3) you have to try RnR on your next trip. Is it a deal? :thumbsup: