PDA

View Full Version : I am a Disney fanatic but my spouse isn't

cmshelton1979
09-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I am wondering how many people are like me. I love Disney World but my wife just "likes" it. I could spend every vacation there because I just feel so good when I am there, but I hear all the time that all of our vacations won't be at DW.

Just curious how many people are in the same boat as me

jenperich
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm the same way. I LOVE WDW, but my DH only "likes" it...and that's probably an exaggeration. But, that doesn't stop me from enjoying EVERY minute of it. Though we're taking other vacations...like a cruise, we still are going to Disney when we can. I like it too much there to give that up! :-) Good luck with your wife...I think she'll get it eventually!

98'cpTyphoonGuard
09-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I , too, love DW. My DH and I are going for the first time together in Nov. He hasn't been since he was a small child and has no recollection of it (there was only MK at the time). I hope with all of my being that he develops the love for DW that I have, although it's unlikely. I am hoping to be able to show him a great time while we are there.

wishiniwasthere
09-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I love it, my husband could take it or leave it. Our solution is to leave him home. :mickey: He likes to fish and hunt, I like Disney World. He goes on his trips, I go on mine. I usually end up with the kids. They like my choice better! Although, I do have an 18 year old who has never liked DW, even when he was younger. I'm all about everybody doing what they like. Why should I or anyone else be miserable on vacation? We still take trips together but as far as Disney goes, I will never stop going just because it isn't his thing. Besides my 16 year old daughter is a FANATIC!!! We will be going forever.

darthmacho
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm in a similar situation. My wife likes WDW a lot, but she's not obsessed with it like I am. I'm always talking about it and looking online for sites about it. :mickey:

We haven't been to WDW since 2003, and I am chomping at the bit to get back, willing to do just about anything to get the kids there next year. I too could go once a year, if I could afford it. I guess I've toned down on the obsession though because we do vacation every summer. We've been staying in New England for vacations to keep them within our budget.

seanyred
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Sorry to disappoint but my DW and I are not in this group. We are both Disney fanatics. But it was DW that converted me into liking WDW and DL so much. I've always been a theme park enthusiast but when I went to WDW for the first time in almost 20 years I fell in love with the place (especially with the imagineering side of things) So spouses can be converted. I'm living proof.

marylynne95
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I too LOVE WDW and my boyfriend (we have been together for 7 years) could go or not go and not care. He has fun, just isn't obsessed like me. He goes because it makes me happy and he likes to see me get all CRAZY as the trip gets closer. It works out, because the trip is all about what I want. HEHE!! :D

92 days and counting!!!!!!!! :cloud9:

Rayadragon
09-02-2009, 11:36 AM
My parents are like this in some ways. My dad's a huge disney fan, in part because some of his happiest childhood memories were going to see the latest Disney cartoon. My mom likes it, but could really take it or leave it.

Unfortunatly for mom, dad got my brother and I at an early age :mickey: Thus if we have a vacation option, we go to Disney World. She likes the parks, but I think she has more fun watching the all of us become kids again. Then she does too.

(Now would be a good time to mention that a serious ex-boyfriend of mine hated Disney and it's corporate-ness. While there's more than one reason why we're not toghether anymore, I can't say that didn't help...)

cather74
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I too, have a DH who does not like Disney as much as I do. :confused:I took him in 2007 (just us)for the first time since he was a little kid and we just went this past June with my parents and sister. He liked it but said he's not going back for another 10 years. Doesn't care if I go but is waiting till we have kids to go again.

I grew up with Disney. Going there is like being a kid again and my whole family shares that sentiment. I guess if it wasn't an important part of your upbringing you wouldn't care about it as much. Just like other traditions. While he thinks it's great he'll never have that special spot in his heart for it........until we have kids. (Something tells me seeing their smiles might change his mind.Then he'll really understand Disney!):baby:

cather74
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
We also went to Rome, Athens, and the Greek Islands this summer. So Dh was quite happy with our travelling summer. And what a great summer it was!!!!! Back to school next week! :number1:

MNNHFLTX
09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
My husband enjoys Disney vacations, but not as much as my son and I do. So we (my son and I) sometimes go there for short jaunts without him and he's fine with that. It does help that on our annual summer vacation we always go somewhere different, whether it's here in the U.S. or abroad. As much as I love the Disney parks, it's good to broaden your experiences to other places too, IMO. :)

clausjo
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm the same way, I LOVE Disney and want to be there all the time and husband could care less. I was hoping that when we had kids he would change, but he didn't really. He goes because we love it, but prefers that we vacation elsewhere also. My solution is to go without him from time to time, he doesn't mind and it lets me and the kids have the fun we crave!

wilcat
09-02-2009, 12:52 PM
I am in the same boat! My DH will go with me but wants to spend more time in the room then in the parks. He says he wants to vacation at other places but when I ask him where he wants to go he says he would rather stay home :pout: When he is there he has a really good time but it seems he just doesn't get it. I took my first trip without him this year and even though I missed him ( we don't have any kids so went solo) I really had a great time and can't wait until I can get back but it probably won't be for a few years as we have agreed to go to Myrtle Beach next year.

Princess'Mom
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I am in the same boat! My DH will go with me but wants to spend more time in the room then in the parks. He says he wants to vacation at other places but when I ask him where he wants to go he says he would rather stay home :pout: When he is there he has a really good time but it seems he just doesn't get it. I took my first trip without him this year and even though I missed him ( we don't have any kids so went solo) I really had a great time and can't wait until I can get back but it probably won't be for a few years as we have agreed to go to Myrtle Beach next year.

We must be married to brothers. I know exactly what you are saying! My DH is the same way. I planned a Mommy/Daughter trip this year to WDW and just when I was about to purchase our airline tickets, DH popped up and decided to vacation with us! He isn't a fan of WDW, but family time is family time. So I guess as long as I'm planning all of the family trips he doesn't have a choice as to where we go! :D

It'sWDW4me
09-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Coming from a divorced mom point of view - my son and I LOVE Disney World. Every year since we got hooked he keeps saying "we should go somewhere else for vacation next year" but each year he says he can't wait to go back to Disney World. If I were to ever get involved with someone in the future, he'd have to either already be a Disney-holic or be willing to join me in my addiction! :mickey:

MadMadamMim
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm single and I think that dating someone who loves Disney World is a huge requirement haha. Any takers?? lol ;)

Rekenna
09-02-2009, 03:24 PM
First of all let me say, "I'm sorry."

My DH didn't care for it the first time we went together, our oldest DS was 3, he said stuff like "This is supposed to be the 'Happiest Place on Earth' do you see anyone smiling?"

However.....

I have assimilated him to the Borg, he has drank the Kool-Aid, and....

When we went to Las Vegas this year in the spring by ourselves for our annual, no kids, long weekend (we had gone to ESPN the Weekend the 2 previous years and he LOVED IT!) he said, "I kind of wish we had gone to Disney World." Hmmmmmmmmm. (Just so you know, this was our first trip west for either of us past Indiana ever!)

He has started to get a dreamy look in his eye at times reminiscing about our last full day at WDW last September with the heathens, DS9, DS2 and DS1 at the time, and says, "You know, the best day we have had with the boys and one of the most memorable was our last day at MK and it had rained and we sat with the boys under a shelter and sang 'Twinkle Twinkle' over and over again and we had lunch at Columbia Harbour House, and when it stopped raining and sunset began and the park was clearing out and the lights were everywhere, I think that is one of the best days we have ever had together and I WILL NEVER FORGET IT."

Whenever we talk about going somewhere else he asks, "But can we go to WDW too?"

He still makes fun of me, and jokes about my daily fix of intercot, Disney Background Music CD's and my Disney Rewards Visa-but, he now appreciates all the hard work and the excitement of returning again and again.

He is a trailer mechanic and the guys he works with give him absolute heck about it, but I have heard him justify, more than once-OUR Disney obsession/life balance.

It can happen! Think happy thoughts!:mickey:

SBETigg
09-02-2009, 03:49 PM
I think my spouse not liking WDW might have been a deal-breaker for me, as much as I love him. I wanted a WDW honeymoon and he really didn't get it. I said, "Please, trust me." And he did. And it was completely different than he expected and he loved it, too. If he had hated it, it might have meant coming home and getting the marriage annulled. No, probably not. But it would have been hard to take. There are "those people" who really hate WDW and I don't think I could be married to one of them. But just not liking it as much as I do, I could have handled that.

And honestly, he loves it and he's willing to go almost as much as I want to-- he likes every other year or every two years. I could go every year, but that's too much for him. But since our honeymoon, it's "our place" and I can't imagine ever going without him. So every other year is fine, and I feed my addiction with INTERCOT, trip planning, and other things. It is honestly fun to vacation other places now and then and see the rest of the world, so no complaints.

It'sWDW4me
09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
he has drank the Kool-Aid

Can you pass that recipe on? I need to slip some to my mom.... :D

Dsnygirl
09-02-2009, 03:57 PM
:mickey: My DH and I are similar to you and your wife, just "flipped" in perspective. I am the Disney nut, he just really enjoys it.

When we're there, he is all about the fun... and the week or two before we go, he gets excited and talks about the rides and the resort and really, fully looks forward to it.

But the rest of the time?? He spends it rolling his eyes and chuckling at me while I talk about the special deals out there, trip reports from other folk, updates to the parks, what I'd like to do next trip... he just doesn't get how much I enjoy obsessing about it when we aren't there.

I'd love to go twice a year.... but the cost is just too high for that kind of family trip twice, and my DH is definitely more the "wet blanket" when it comes to our finances... truth be told, he's just more patient and responsible when it comes to our trips, I just want to book one whenever a good deal appears. :blush:

I'm reconciling myself that until we (if ever) buy a DVC, I may be going by myself once a year to get my fix... I have g'friends who enjoy going, as well as a close friend who now lives in Orlando, so I know I'll never really have to be alone down there... then I just get the "I can't believe you'd go w/o me!!" ;)

Funny... for me, loving disney is a daily thing and I can't get why he doesn't get into it that way... and for him, loving it is just that and nothing more... not something he has on his mind 24/7. Oh well... I'll take what I can get!! :)

BIGDOG
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
My wife and 2 older kids 21 & 17 all think I am nuts, and are pretty much anti WDW trips at first... Well maybe not anti WDW but make fun of me alot. I do have 2 younger kids 5 and 7 that are on my side.So the sides are pretty much even, and as the date gets closer and we watch the wdw planning dvd more and more I break them down. The memories start flashing and they come around. I think the older kids have been there too many times and are spoiled brats? Plus I remind the older kids I proposed to my wife on the steps of the castle back in 86' and if it was not for Disney none of you would be here. My wife likes Disney trips as much as me she just doesn't want to admit it. She always says the only reason I keep agreeing to have more kids is for a reason to go back to WDW. This year I have another on my side, my 21yr old son can't wait to get his first legal drink at a Disney pool bar...:beer::marg::beer::beer:

Aurora
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
My husband enjoys Disney vacations, but not as much as my son and I do. So we (my son and I) sometimes go there for short jaunts without him and he's fine with that. It does help that on our annual summer vacation we always go somewhere different, whether it's here in the U.S. or abroad. As much as I love the Disney parks, it's good to broaden your experiences to other places too, IMO. :)

Wow, Beth, I just figured out what your screen name means. :D

Mousemates
09-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Sorry to disappoint but my DW and I are not in this group. We are both Disney fanatics. But it was DW that converted me into liking WDW and DL so much.... So spouses can be converted. I'm living proof.

:ditto:

TheVBs
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
My husband was definitely game for our first couple trips to WDW, but he's since turned into a fanatic like me. :cool:

Goes4FastPass
09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
My wife is NOT a Disney fanatic but she enjoys the trips e make to WDW.

Actually, I think we' drive each other crazy if we both tried to b thre family trip organizers.

I think sometimes is fan(atic)s can understand why the 'normal' people the object of the fanaticism the 'correct' way. "They just don't get it." The truth is, there are happy, well adjusted people who will go their whole lives without spending a dime in Central Florida.

I'm glad to be married to a non-fanatic - whose happy to know all of the ADRs for her upcoming trip to WDW have long since been made - and she didn't have to make them.

FenwayGirl
09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
I have been married for 34 years and my husband has been to Disney with me once! He did not enjoy the parks the first time we visited (1981), and has not been since. He is very happy to send me, the kids, the grandkids on our way as long as he can stay home. Not ideal, but it works for us.

DizNee143
09-03-2009, 02:04 PM
i so fit in with this group!
i LOVE disney..my hubby..could care less about it..he goes cuz he knows how much i love it..
we were suppose to go once together..and that was in 2006..but we have been every year since then!! lol..
i think he is s-l-o-w-l-y coming around..maybe in another 20 years..he'll be there..lol..
he says he probably like it more when we can take our kids there..
im due in dec with our first child..i hope he will be aching to get back in about to years to take our little girl..:mickey:

i really wish he loved it though..cuz sometimes while we are there..he just brings me down..i sensor my feelings..so he doesnt think im weird..and i end up not having that great of a time..just wish he could understand what disney is to me..not that he has to be the same way about it..but just gets it and can let me be happy...

TikiLounger
09-03-2009, 02:15 PM
My kids (19 and 17) love Disney and can't wait to get back. My husband, although he enjoyed himself on the first couple of trips (when they were little), is starting to make his desire to visit someplace else very obvious during vacation planning talks. He always comes around and has fun when we get there, though. We did break things up a bit...we went on a cruise one year and a trip to Atlantis, another, and Italy...so it's not like we've never been anywhere else.

johnO
09-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I think we're both nuts but question her allegiance at times. :cool:

MNNHFLTX
09-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow, Beth, I just figured out what your screen name means. :DThat made me laugh! :D

TikiLounger
09-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Okay, so I don't even know you but I've been trying to figure it out since I read that post. Crack me up!

Stu29573
09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, my wife went for the first time this past June. Before we left (through the planning stages, etc) she was ok with the idea of going, but she really thought I was a bit around the bend on the Disney stuff. Well, when we got there she was blown away by things that I never really thought much about (the landscaping, the paint schemes on the buildings, etc) I guess since I've been going since I was a kid (and I'm still a big kid!)I was focused just on the attractions. Now we are planning on going back for Christmas 2010. We are even considering going to DisneyLand next summer to taste the "original." (This would be in addition to a trip to San Fransisco, so it might be a bit much) Anyway, the point is, even though she may not be quite as over the top as I am, she loves the place now too. We are looking forward to many more trips!

seanyred
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, my wife went for the first time this past June. Before we left (through the planning stages, etc) she was ok with the idea of going, but she really thought I was a bit around the bend on the Disney stuff. Well, when we got there she was blown away by things that I never really thought much about (the landscaping, the paint schemes on the buildings, etc) I guess since I've been going since I was a kid (and I'm still a big kid!)I was focused just on the attractions. Now we are planning on going back for Christmas 2010. We are even considering going to DisneyLand next summer to taste the "original." (This would be in addition to a trip to San Fransisco, so it might be a bit much) Anyway, the point is, even though she may not be quite as over the top as I am, she loves the place now too. We are looking forward to many more trips!

I have a recommendation for you and others that are into the small details of the parks...Look in to getting the Imagineering Field Guide books they have one for every park including Disneyland. The books provide a bunch of info in a "pocket size" book.

ransam
09-04-2009, 02:04 AM
I am wondering how many people are like me. I love Disney World but my wife just "likes" it. I could spend every vacation there because I just feel so good when I am there, but I hear all the time that all of our vacations won't be at DW.

Just curious how many people are in the same boat as me

Dump her.....
j/k...
i have the same situation. my gf didn't like Disney at all, but thankfully she goes w/ me and shares in my joy and i think she gets a kick out of seeing me so happu?

clou1028
09-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, I am one of those! My husband is not the fanatic that I am. Yes we got married there, but that was his first time there.

Although, he has been more much open and agreeable to our upcoming trip than he has been in the past. He almost seems like, dare I say, he's looking forward to it. That being said, I know if if it weren't for me, he'd probably never go again.

parrothed26
09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
I just returned from my honeymoon at WDW. DW's first trip. She luckily loved the place but still insists we take other vacations as well. I dont get it but we've agreed to at least go every other year. Though next year is still Disney ( for the kids) lol. Maybe you and your wife could comprimise?

Little Round Bale
09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Disney crazy here :thumbsup: But my BF well lets say won't go past the end of the driveway.

My DD is the next generation of Disney Fanatic. She makes me so proud. For me and my family it is the one place work, stress and etc does not follow. Just flying into MCO and the shuttle to the main building is a thrill for us.

I am thrilled most of you have partners that go to Disney or a share the same passion. Still looking for my KISA. LOL:blush:

omearac
09-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I think we're both nuts but question her allegiance at times. :cool:

You crack me up!!! :funny:

Sometimes I become obsessed with WDW! But I do dream about visiting the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, Yellowstone Park, Greece, Rome . . .:secret: We do end up going to Disney all the time. Our new obsession is Disney Cruises - AWESOME!!!!!

DH - you are definitely a WDW fanatic!!! :cloud9:

magicofdisney
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
I was born and raised 2hrs from Disney. While I thoroughly enjoyed it growing up, I didn't fall in love with it until I took my oldest son on his first trip at 6mos.

By then I was already married to this non-Disney lover I like to call honey. ;)

I now have 1 child that doesn't care for Disney either so occasionally the rest of us will go to Disney without them.

We still do family vacations (at Disney and beyond), but I can't give up Disney entirely.

Suffice it to say, 2/3 of my family get it and the other 1/3 doesn't.

Goes4FastPass
09-04-2009, 09:51 AM
...but I hear all the time that all of our vacations won't be at DW...

Thank goodness!This sounds like an opportunity for one spouse to plan ADRS and FastPass strategies and the other to plan things like The Grand Canyon... Alaska... London... Rome... Moscow... Shanghai

MarkC
09-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised to see how many husbands are the fanatics and we drag the wives along. I'm the fanatic but my wife really, really enjoys it. We like different things but have learned to try each others' favorites and opened ourselves to try new stuff. So while she's not a fanatic, she at least comes with me on the trip. Football games however, are another matter. I have 40 yard line seats for Nebraska games and she hasn't been to one home game in our 22 years of marriage. Mark

magicofdisney
09-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I have 40 yard line seats for Nebraska games and she hasn't been to one home game in our 22 years of marriage. Mark
Who can blame her? :confused:

GO GATORS!!!! :)

Stu29573
09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I have a recommendation for you and others that are into the small details of the parks...Look in to getting the Imagineering Field Guide books they have one for every park including Disneyland. The books provide a bunch of info in a "pocket size" book.

Yep I agree!:thumbsup: I have the magic Kindom book, and I'm planning on getting the rest. I also bought my wife a book on Disney landscaping for her birthday!:D

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Okay, so I don't even know you but I've been trying to figure it out since I read that post. Crack me up!

Not too terribly complicated--my screen name is comprised of the post address state abbreviations of all the places I've lived. :)

Now back to the topic at hand! :thumbsup:

DisneyHoneymooners
09-04-2009, 11:34 AM
This is one of the signs that my DH and I are made for each other. When we were planning our wedding, he told me we could go wherever I wanted for the honeymoon. I didn't even have to think about it-I wanted WDW. I never got to growing up since my family is from a foreign country and we always went abroad to visit family. My DH hadn't been to WDW in twenty years. As soon as we stepped onto Main Street that first day-that was it for us. people think we're crazy going every year but we just love it.

cmshelton1979
09-04-2009, 05:42 PM
We had our honeymoon at DW last year and we took her two dd's this year and it rained the whole time so it left a foul taste in her mouth.

Last year when we got the the DW part of our honeymoon she had fun but said she liked the beach part of our honeymoon better. She was Disney'd out by time we left both times.....I am sitting there thinking, NO time to go back to reality!!!!!!!!

SandmanGStefani24
09-04-2009, 07:20 PM
same with me. the mrs has gone once, but she says she doesn't have to do it again. kind of like, "I've seen it, let's do something else". she doesn't have the love for it like i do. i can go every year, and that's not really enough! Fortunately even though she doesn't feel the same way about WDW she is understanding and won't keep me from going even if it's solo.

Incidentally, she feels the same way about football! :D