PDA

View Full Version : What are the pools like in January?

savafan
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Going to WDW in January, and I see a lot of people base their resort choices on the pools. Would this even be a consideration in January? Is the weather warm enough for swimming at that time of year?

teambricker04
09-01-2009, 10:38 PM
It just depends on what you are use to and how the weather ends up. We were down last Jan for the marathon. It was a LOT cooler than we thought it would be. We ended up not swimming, but none of us minded. HOWEVER, had we been in a cooler climate (we just moved to Chi) then, we may have thought it was heaven. I wore a sweat shirt and a winter hat for most days we were there, but I think that may have been atypical.

Pirate Granny
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
In 2004 we were at FQ for the week between Xmas and NE...it was cool...but I swam every night...yep...it was pretty cold walking to the pool (we were on the back side of bldg #5)...but it was fine walking back...the pool was very warm and I had it to myself most nights...When I go, I want the full experience and so...therefore...swim and hot tub...In 2007 it was very warm in the 70's so it was nice swimming at the Pop...yep, we're going back the week before Xmas this year and I plan to dip every night...just before bedtime. First in the pool, then the hot tub.
:pirate:

sisterslovindisney
09-02-2009, 07:57 AM
The pools are heated and like a pp said, it may depend on where your from whether you will want to swimin January. We always do. We are from the snowbelt so the cold doesn't phase us :)

csdavis
09-02-2009, 08:40 AM
We always go in January and there is no way to tell about the weather. We have been when it was in the high 70s and sunny and then we have gone with lows in the 30s with highs in the 50s and WINDY. Although the pools are a good draw for a resort, I wouldn't let that be my only reason for choosing one. The weather can be wild that time of year! It's still our favorite time to go so we just deal with it and pack swimsuits in case the weather decides to cooperate and coats if it doesn't! Have fun!

eandrsmom
09-02-2009, 09:11 AM
We've been in Jan. and Feb. and find the weather to be a **** shoot. There have been times when we've worn shorts and swam one day, and then overnight a front comes through and we're bundled up the next day. It really can vary dramatically. Not fun when you're trying to pack "light".

mudpuppysmom
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
If you are from a colder winter climate you SHOULD be ok to swim....unless it decides to be a cold snap while you are there......which I've been there when it is cold!! Pack your suit and go from there.

BigRedDad
09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I was there last November. I looked at all the historical data for our stay. In the last two decades, there were never more than 3 days for the week we were going where you couldn't swim. This left statistics on our side that we would be able to swim at least a few days. Nope!!! Big cold front pushed in all week. It was in the 40s at night and barely in the 70s during the day. Great for parks, not good for pools.

In January, I would not be basing my resort decision on a pool. I would base it on where I wanted to stay, the atmosphere I enjoy, and what I want to get out of the resort.

#1donaldfan
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
.....the pools are heated, however the walk to and from may be a little chilly.....:cool:

megustamex
09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
We have ALWAYS gone in January and most of the time the weather is jeans and tee shirts during the day, which doesn't make for great swimming weather, but is beautiful for the parks. But we usually get at least one day where it's warm enough to hit the water parks. Last year was the worst weather though, we went last week in Jan/first week in Feb and we wore our winter coats the whole trip. But the lines at the park were short!

pox24
09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
We usually don't swim much down here in January. It can be cold. We stayed at VWL Jan 09 and it was a balmy 45 when we got up, however I recall people swimming mid day as it approached 70. Much too cold for us natives. But, all the pools are heated. I love watching the steam.

Goes4FastPass
09-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Speaking of heated pools at WDW,

Does anyone else have the impression he pools are no AS heated as they used to be?

Yes, I know there's always someone willing to say the water refreshing when the rest of us are saying it's c-o-l-d.

TheRustyScupper
09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
What are the pools like in January?

Wet.

megustamex
09-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Pools are heated to 80 degrees, but that is not really that warm. When I used to live in Florida we kept it at 90 or more to be comfortable in the winter!

beksy
09-03-2009, 10:54 PM
We've been there in the first week of January and the weather was in the 70s...perfect for the parks and we were able to swim in the afternoon. :mjump: We went later in February and it was freezing! We were in heavy coats and gloves all day. :penguin: Then we went two Februarys ago and it was perfect weather for the parks but we only went swimming a couple of times. It's just the luck of the draw so prepare for anything! Regardless you'll have a great time but I wouldn't base any decisions on resort pools. :diver:

Tigerinvestigator
09-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Wet.

....and empty!

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Does anyone else have the impression he pools are no AS heated as they used to be?I've been told the pools at WDW are heated to 80-82 degrees, but yes--in the last few times I've used them they definitely felt more toward the 80 degrees (if that).

To the OP--if you do think you might want to go swimming on this trip, make sure and pack something loose and warm to wear from the pool back to the room. The water will probably seem warm but the air once you get out will not!

Jillirose
09-05-2009, 04:00 PM
We usually go the third week of February and several of our vacations were cool, with only one or two pool days out of seven. So, I would guess that the pool days in January are limited. Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but you can go to the Weather channel online and look up average temperatures and rainfall by day, week, or month. I just google 'average temperature, orlando' and it comes up.

However, it also depends on the ages of children. I know my kids, ages 10 and 14, wouldn't care about the outside temp, they would be having too much fun in the pool!

stitchaholic
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM
we always go in january,and the weather is always a surprise,you never know what you are going to get.
the pools at the moderates and deluxes are always warm enough to swim,but you may freeze whan you get out.
we are from canada,so it;s always warmer in florida,no matter what.

Mousemates
09-05-2009, 08:01 PM
as other have posted...the water is always warm enough to swim in...but the air temperature can be downright frigid...getting from your room to the pool is generally no problem (your dry)...but getting back from the pool to your room when your wet...can be a bit of a shivery adventure.