PDA

View Full Version : White after Labor Day?

marlaine
09-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Is it okay to where white shorts in WDW after Labor Day? We leave in 12 days and I'm starting to iron for our trip. :confused:

SBETigg
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Hey, why not? Fashion experts say the white rule (supposedly not before Easter or after Labor Day) is long dead, so wear what you want and enjoy.

Tinkerfreak
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I say go for it who will care? I don't even pack anything that needs ironing! I'm pretty sure the fashion police won't be there so you should be safe:D

artyboy
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
It's south of Georgia, so the white rule doesn't apply;)

SurferStitch
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Yep, that's an old rule, and no longer pertinent in the fashion world.

Stacy and Clinton (What Not to Wear) even say it's okay to wear white all year long.

I've was never one to abide by the white rule. Hey, winter means snow where I'm from, and that's white, so how can white clothing not be allowed?

We are going in December, and I have white shorts, jeans and capris, and I plan to wear them!

barbiegirl314
09-01-2009, 02:19 PM
You can definitely wear the white.

The no white after labor day rule is long gone. White is now a year round color.

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Just stick with jorts and avoid the whole issue...:D

pixiesmimi
09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Anywhere it is still hot, white is okay. And, yes, they have said the old white rule doesn't apply any more. I still go by the rule when dressing up around here but when it comes to going to WDW, I wear whatever I want.

Ian
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Wait ... I can't believe no one has asked this yet ...

A. Why are you ironing in preparation for putting your clothes in a suitcase?

and

B. Why are you ironing 12 days before you leave???

I'd say white after Labor Day is the least of your worries. ;)

garymacd
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Just stick with jorts and avoid the whole issue...:D

DARN! Beat me to it. :thedolls:

Mickey91
09-01-2009, 11:17 PM
When you're in line with people who have purple hair, no one will care that you are wearing white wrinkled shorts! :D

ransam
09-02-2009, 12:04 AM
as long as you don't wear bright lime green shorts, it's all good.

nicster
09-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Caution! Warning!! White clothing where there is a potential for getting wet is a chancy thing to do....:blush:

marlaine
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm a true sicko when it comes to ironing our clothes. I iron them before I pack them and then I iron them every morning before we leave for the parks. I can't help it.

eandrsmom
09-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Well, I was raised in the south, and I do not wear white after Labor Day. It's just one of those things that I was taught as a child, and cannot do. I don't think anyone would care either way, but I just don't feel comfortable in white after Labor Day. The previous poster did have a good point about being in line with someone having green hair. I really don't think it matters, as long as you're comfortable.

VWL Mom
09-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Stacy and Clinton (What Not to Wear) even say it's okay to wear white all year long.

Too funny, I was thinking the same thing.

pixiesmimi
09-02-2009, 09:32 AM
When you're in line with people who have purple hair, no one will care that you are wearing white wrinkled shorts! :D

LOL :exactly: In this hot, muggy weather, no one cares what you have on.

I'm a true sicko when it comes to ironing our clothes. I iron them before I pack them and then I iron them every morning before we leave for the parks. I can't help it.

You're on vacation, remember? :) Give up the ironing. Really, I know what you mean and how you feel. I had planned to iron our clothes too before dressing every day and after a day there, gave up on that. Never looked back. :) Too much to do!

SoaringEpcot
09-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Also be aware of where you sit with white shorts on. Often people sit on the curb to watch parades or step in seats getting in and out of rides, like POTC, or the occasional gum or ice cream in the seat. For me it was leaning against a fence post that had black tar oozing out of it, not a pretty site.

ShinynewJB
09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm from England, so I didn't really understand the whole "not allowed to wear white clothes" thing - I'd just heard it mentioned on American TV shows and stuff. However, I was there this time last year and I wore white t-shirts, and I wasn't dragged away by officals or anything so I think you should be fine.

Goes4FastPass
09-02-2009, 04:45 PM
How did I fit?

I ask because I'm sure someone is putting me on.

You can wear anything moderately modest at WDW even white jorts!

But beware, after a day at a theme park your whites are going to be the color of the bottom of Smee's shoes.

GBBT
09-02-2009, 05:35 PM

That's an OCD iss,my sister does the same thing and she's got it B..A...D.:D

GBBT
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Taking to long to load to edit my post.My sis packs sometimes 1 to 3 months ahead of their trip.:secret:Ian,she's got it bad right? One year we ate at the Garden Grill and she cleaned off all the plates and stacked them for the waiter to pick them up.:secret:I told her she came all the way to the World to do housework.:D

Mushu11756
09-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm not to worried about how I'm looking as long as I'm having a good time!:mickey:

SFTrny
09-03-2009, 06:56 AM
I always have trouble packing the right number of ties to coordinate with my outfits. And walking all day is murder on the shoes. I am re-polishing them every night in the room.

SuzieBell
09-03-2009, 07:33 AM

Downy Wrinkle Reducer!! You're on vacation!!!:D I'm from Florida and we never wore white after labor day, but what the heck - your at "home" be comfy and wear what you want! :thumbsup:

marlaine
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
You guys are cracking me up!:laughing:

Running_Bell
09-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Although my grandma would beg to differ....those "old fashioned" rules of white after labor day, open toed shoes in the fall, etc... are just that "old fashioned". They do not apply anymore...... but I won't tell my grandma.

Mickey91
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Maybe there's an Ironers Anonymous :D

as long as you don't wear bright lime green shorts, it's all good.

But they would go so good with the purple hair...:)

I always have trouble packing the right number of ties to coordinate with my outfits. And walking all day is murder on the shoes. I am re-polishing them every night in the room.
Get one tie that goes with all the outfits. Kind of psychodelic...Just give the shoes a rub with the ole sweaty big toe and you will be good as new tomorrow. :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
09-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Caution! Warning!! White clothing where there is a potential for getting wet is a chancy thing to do....:blush:

My thoughts exactly . . . anytime of the year, you got alot more guts than I do! I would NEVER wear white shorts in WDW!

Have a great trip! :thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
09-06-2009, 12:13 PM
No one will notice or care. Go for it :wave:

Iluvpooh
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Another Southern girl here. (Alabama)
I have alays thought of the "white rule" as applying only to dress clothes (church clothes).

Would I wear white dress slacks, pant suit, dress, or skirt after Labor Day? No way!
I think the worst offender is wearing White dress shoes.

Would I wear white capris, shorts, or sweater after Labor Day. Sure thing!

I guess the main thing to remember is that whatever you are wearing is your choice not someone elses. Have fun.

Daisy'sMom
09-07-2009, 12:54 PM
That old white rule was finished years ago. When it is 95 here and the dewpoint is 75, I make sure I have white on. And I have never had a problem wearing white shorts at Disney. In fact, I wore them yesterday to MK and plan to wear them in two weeks when we go for our week long stay. :mickey:

hardingella
09-07-2009, 01:15 PM
OK, can someone please explain WHY white is, or was a no no?
Thought i was quite clued up on most things American, but obviously not!!

nicster
09-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I did some quick research on this topic. Several sites quoted a charming refrain about G.R.I.T.S-- girls raised in the South. This bit of folklore states, "Southern girls know bad manners when they see them," and a clear sign of bad manners is wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day. Because fashions in the American South can be a little more formal than elsewhere, perhaps the no-white-shoes rule came from south of the Mason-Dixon Line? Even Star Jones (an otherwise fashion-forward Southern lady) admits that white shoes "are for Easter Sunday and not the dead of winter." We can only surmise that the point of this rule is to ensure that people only wear summer fashions during the actual summer months. The opposite probably applies as well, but people generally don't need to be reminded to avoid wearing a goose-down parka in 100-degree weather. If you live in a locale with summer temperatures year-round, we can't see the harm in wearing white shoes or a head-to-toe white outfit in October.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I wear white after Labor Day and I wear open toe shoes until it gets too cold. Go for it.
And I too iron my clothes before I pack. However I don't re-iron once I get there.

garymacd
09-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I did some quick research on this topic. Several sites quoted a charming refrain about G.R.I.T.S-- girls raised in the South. This bit of folklore states, "Southern girls know bad manners when they see them," and a clear sign of bad manners is wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day. Because fashions in the American South can be a little more formal than elsewhere, perhaps the no-white-shoes rule came from south of the Mason-Dixon Line? Even Star Jones (an otherwise fashion-forward Southern lady) admits that white shoes "are for Easter Sunday and not the dead of winter." We can only surmise that the point of this rule is to ensure that people only wear summer fashions during the actual summer months. The opposite probably applies as well, but people generally don't need to be reminded to avoid wearing a goose-down parka in 100-degree weather. If you live in a locale with summer temperatures year-round, we can't see the harm in wearing white shoes or a head-to-toe white outfit in October.

Does that mean its okay for our Canadian Army Rangers to wear those white camouflage suits and boots when patrolling the far north?

Tigerinvestigator
09-08-2009, 01:53 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!! SOMEONE HAD TO SCREAM IT!!!......ok yes you may. Nobody will care and depending on what day you are there, there will be 5-50,000 people wearing white! Have a great trip.:thumbsup:

Magic Smiles
09-08-2009, 07:01 AM
I remember having the same concerns when I was packing for our Dec trip. I took both white shorts and capris. Felt great when I wore them. I was in Disney and it was hot and sunny. Back home it white also, but with tons of snow.
Take those white clothing articles and feel great when wearing them, just don't go on the water rides:blush:

pixiesmimi
09-08-2009, 09:23 AM
OK, can someone please explain WHY white is, or was a no no?
Thought i was quite clued up on most things American, but obviously not!!

I'm not sure when all of this started but I know it was a long, long time ago. You know how traditions are passed down from generation to generation. My mother told me when I was a little girl that the fashion rule was you don't wear white shoes or clothes (dresses, pants) after Labor Day or before Easter. (Blouses were okay). Of course, I'm from the South but the other states honored it too from what I am hearing on TV. I guess it was to signal that Fall was here and time to change to school clothes, etc. Not exactly sure the real reason but we have just had it ingrained in us and that is what comes to your mind at Labor Day and Easter. I do still wear white shorts because it is still hot here, but usually think twice about wearing white pants, dresses and shoes except tennis shoes (sneakers). And, yes, I do wear open toed shoes until it is just too cold to wear them. But I usually wonder what people think about me wearing them. I think we have just grown out of that tradition but if you are raised doing a certain thing, it is always in the back of your mind.

nicster
09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Does that mean its okay for our Canadian Army Rangers to wear those white camouflage suits and boots when patrolling the far north?
As long as they are not open-toed boots! :funny:

FaithTrustPixieDust
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey, why not? Fashion experts say the white rule (supposedly not before Easter or after Labor Day) is long dead, so wear what you want and enjoy.

Those Fashion Experts must be from New York City; they are CLEARLY not from the Deep South! ;)

I'm a Southern Girl as well, and I just can't do it. Even though 50,000 other people will be wearing white (and . . .GASP . .jorts!!), I won't be. White shirts are just fine, as everyone knows that a crisp white shirt goes with everything and accessorizes fabulously.

The rule as I was taught is no white BELOW THE WAIST after Labor Day or before Easter. This refers to pants, shorts, skirts, or shoes (with the exception of athletic shoes or Keds, which do not count as athetic shoes in my book).

(Undergarments are not considered in this equation because nobody sees them. Plus, I'm sure that your mamma always taught you that if you're in an accident, you want to be sure that you're wearing clean white underwear so the folks at the ER know that you come from Good People.)

Tradition aside . . . I'd rather not worry about getting wet or sitting on a bench that is not perfectly clean.

Mousefever
09-10-2009, 04:06 AM
When I grew up in New England, the rule was that you could only wear white pants and shoes after Memorial Day and before Labor Day. It makes sense, really. In New England it's not even close to summer season until June!

Amy

hardingella
09-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm a Southern Girl as well, and I just can't do it. Even though 50,000 other people will be wearing white (and . . .GASP . .jorts

Another question, What are jorts?

brownie
09-10-2009, 07:24 AM
You can't wear white after Labor Day? I've heard that before but it's not something I've ever considered or worried about.

sleepingbooty
09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Another question, What are jorts?

I guess you must have missed the big jorts discussion a while back. Jorts, as we discovered, are what we are now calling jean shorts. Which are apparently now considered quite tacky. But mostly just on men, or on women if they are the ones that look like short versions of mom jeans. At least, that seemed to be the consensus.

Back to the white after labor day issue - I grew up in the midwest, and was also taught the rule, and still pretty much stick by it. But, I break it whenever we go to WDW in late September. I sort of feel like I am stepping out of the real world and into a world of perpetual summer. If its 95 degrees - white shorts and flip flops seem perfectly appropriate to me!

rubato
09-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Hasn't anyone heard of "winter white"? I have beautiful slacks and a coat that are white. I also have white knee high boots that I like to wear in the winter.

In my opinion, if you're in Florida and it's hot, wear white shorts. I kind of think you should have some tan legs though. I think white shorts can really highlight white legs.

As for your ironing, go for it! I too am an ironer. I would never leave my house in wrinkled clothing. Why would I walk around DW in wrinkled clothing? I don't understand why people think vacation equates slob? And, the Downy Wrinkle Release doesn't work for me. Maybe I do it wrong, but it doesn't get wrinkles out any easier than ironing for me. By the time you smooth the fabric down enough, you might as well iron!