PDA

View Full Version : When kids freak out?

disneykid@hrt
08-31-2009, 11:12 PM
What do you do if your child starts "freaking out" on a ride? Or in the middle of a show? I imagine you can go out of the exit at a show- but what about on something like Small World??

kakn7294
09-01-2009, 03:49 AM
If you can't calm them down, you have to grin and bear it and apologize to those around you who's ride experience has been affected by your screaming child. Not much else you can do!

poohbearkris
09-01-2009, 08:32 AM
I have had to leave a couple of shows before - the CM's have been nice and have shined their flashlights to help me get out. Fortunatley, neither of the shows were crowded when I had to leave. DS also does not like the 3D movies, so every year Iask him to try it thinking that one year he will like it, but otherwise I just tell him to sit with his glasses off. As far as the rides go, there really isn't much to do but to try to talk calmly to them and to apologize to those around you.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-01-2009, 08:42 AM
These posters have said it best. You can put your arm around your child, carry a small flashlight in your own bag if it happens to be dark, and give it to your child-it might make them feel better. But the best thing the other two posters have said is "apologize to the others around you". Now, we all are aware that kids get scared at some of the strangest things and do freak out. All of us parents sympathize with you. But I admit to being VERY appeased when things like this happen and the parents apologize. It's just one of the niceties that seem to be disappearing these days.

#1donaldfan
09-01-2009, 01:48 PM
...if they are "freaking" out before the ride begins they won't let them continue, they will have to get off.....:(

Disney Doll
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with the planning. DS will be 23 months on our next trip and many things will be new to him. I'm figuring he will be fine in PhilharMagic for instance, but I don't know that for sure because we've never done a 3-D show. So, I will be sitting towards the back as close to the isle as possible so in case I do need to make an escape I am not creating too much commotion.

KAJUNKING
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
What do you do if your child starts "freaking out" on a ride? Or in the middle of a show? I imagine you can go out of the exit at a show- but what about on something like Small World??

beat them!

KAJUNKING
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM
beat them!

just kidding :mickey:

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
This will be our second trip with our son who is now 22 months old. When we first brought him he was 7 months old so we did not have much to worry about, but now it's a whole new ball game!

He is now at the age where it's his way or the highway! I'm not as worried about him being scared . I'm more worried about him not wanting to exit a ride and freakin out then! LOL!:thedolls:

seanyred
09-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm also concerned about this...my DS will be 2.5 years when we go this december. I've taking him to Kiddieland here in Chicago to get him used to following rules of the ride and he does very well. But he has never experienced a dark ride before....but if he does start crying I will be sure and apologize to others around me...

Ed
09-01-2009, 03:52 PM

That happens every time I ride IASW. :thedolls:

But it's never a child - - it's me. :blush:

:D

mjaclyn
09-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't think you'd need to apologize if your child is crying because he or she is scared - like in Pirates because it's dark or something. On the other hand, if your child is having a fit because you didn't buy him that second ice cream or let him go on Dumbo for the fourth time in a row, then yes, I would apologize to others around me. I think there's a difference in kids who are upset becaue they're afraid of the ride and kids who are making a huge scene because they're not getting their own way. If I'm in a place where I can get up and leave with my DD then I will if she starts acting up - regardless of the reason.

Belster
09-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Mushu very funny...I was thinking the same thing. My DS was 8 months when we first took him now he is going to be 20 months when we go next...I too am concerned that he will freak out and scream loud or something. I have read too many postings of people complaining about ruined ride experiences, I do not want to be the cause.

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I hear you on that! I would hate to do that but I guess we will have to grin and bare it!:fit:

MistressGracey
09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
When my 16 year old was small, he mustered up the courage to ride the Mansion, and then got freaked out once we were on the Doom Buggies. I just had him bury his face into my shoulder and I talked to him softly as we continued the ride. I realize it depends on the child's level of fear as to whether or not they will cooperate with this method, but it worked for us. Later down the road, we employed it again with our youngest on the same ride.

Now...they can't get enough of the Mansion, just like their momma. :D

disneykid@hrt
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all of the input guys...

I just travelled with her a few weeks ago and she cried the WHOLE time we were taxiing (sp?), and then we were stuck in the plane on the runway for an additional hour because good ole ATL was shutting down for an hour... I felt so horrible for the people around me. I remember having evil thoughts about crying babies on planes before I had my own :thedolls: and so I know everyone had to be stewing! I wanted to cry myself. I went in the bathroom midway through to try and calm her down. I just kept flashing to this story on the news about a mother being put off the plane because of her crying baby!!!

Anyway... Sorry to get off topic. You guys have given me fabulous ideas. I think I'll carry a little toy that glows if she does happen to get scared in the dark. They have little rubber duckies that glow different colors that wont be too distracting for my neighbors either :). I will sit closest to the exits in the back of shows. And I will of course apologize for any mishaps.

We did practice a bit this summer. I've taken her to fairs and other little attractions. She always has this horrible frown on her face while she's riding! But it's still obvious she's having a good time. Thank you!:number1: I was nervous to ask the question for some reason...

AllyMonkey
09-01-2009, 10:29 PM
That happens every time I ride IASW. :thedolls:

But it's never a child - - it's me. :blush:

:D

I thought I was the only one that had that reaction to IASW! :thumbsup:

Snow's Mom
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Very funny, Ed! The music is what does it for me. I can only hear the song so many times...

My two kids "freaked out" at Disneyland. They were afraid of being swallowed by the whale on a Pinocchio ride (I dont' really remember the name of the ride.) It was a bridge painted to look like a whale, and all we did was ride a boat under it. When kids are tired, they're unpredictable. If it happens, it's time for a BREAK.

Disney4us2
09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Very funny, Ed! The music is what does it for me. I can only hear the song so many times...

My two kids "freaked out" at Disneyland. They were afraid of being swallowed by the whale on a Pinocchio ride (I dont' really remember the name of the ride.) It was a bridge painted to look like a whale, and all we did was ride a boat under it. When kids are tired, they're unpredictable. If it happens, it's time for a BREAK.

Hi, It is called Story Book Land Canals. You enter the land through the whale. My DD didn't like this either. There is also a ride with Pinocchio (I think that is called the Daring Adventures of Pinocchio) that has the whale looking like it is coming right at you. It took her a while to get used to this attraction as well as the 3D ones.

disneylovinmom
09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
My daughter hates IASW. She calls it "The Dollies of Doom":laughing:: She usually wears her Ipod and shuts her eyes. I agree with the others, all you can do is try to comfort them if you can't get out and apologize to the other riders. Most people understand that kids get scared and will not be angry.

Goofy Texan
09-02-2009, 10:13 PM
For those with kids (or adults) that have never seen 3D I have a suggestion. You can buy books with 3D pictures. They come with the funky cardboard glasses. The 3D effect isn't perfect, but it's good enough for them to understand the concept. You can buy them at the local bookstore or on Amazon.

My other favorite "freak prep" is the roller coaster car. Before my daughter ever road her first 'coaster she rode plenty of pretend rollercoasters in the car. I would slow down cresting the top of a hill and speed up going down, take banked corners fast (but safe) so she could feel the centrifigul (sp) force, driving down the road at 50mph and telling her that's how fast Test Track goes (It's really that slow Mom?) I didn't tell her the open car, and being low to the ground makes it seem faster - I'm such a mean mom - she did enjoy it though.

For older kids, simulating the launch of Rock n' Roller coaster in an empty parking lot, or the backwards portion of Everest is a great way for kids to get familier with a sensation and know if they think its fun or not.

Mickey'sGirl
09-04-2009, 12:04 AM
I'm not trying to come off as an evil person.... but please please please do not use light up toys or cell phone glow whenever the mood strikes! We're at the World right now, and twice now, our Haunted Mansion ride has been ruined by light up things. Through the stretching room, and all the way through the ride. They ruin the effects. If you think your kid is going to be frightened, then don't take your kid on the ride. If you think your kid is going to scream in a show/movie, then don't take your kid into it. We know that our youngest son would make noise and fidget etc at the live shows, so we do not take him into them. It's not fair to the kid, and it's not fair to the other people in there with you.

No offense intended folks.

EJS-Houston
09-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think you'd need to apologize if your child is crying because he or she is scared - like in Pirates because it's dark or something. On the other hand, if your child is having a fit because you didn't buy him that second ice cream or let him go on Dumbo for the fourth time in a row, then yes, I would apologize to others around me. I think there's a difference in kids who are upset becaue they're afraid of the ride and kids who are making a huge scene because they're not getting their own way. If I'm in a place where I can get up and leave with my DD then I will if she starts acting up - regardless of the reason.

I have to respectfully disagree. Two years ago, Mickey's Philharmagic was ruined for us and everyone within earshot of a child who was freaked out. I don't blame the child, of course, I blame the parents who not only made no apology to anyone, but made absolutely no attempt to take the child out of the show, but just sat there and let him scream through the entire thing.

Pally
09-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Recently, while visitng WDW I saw one disturbing incident. While entering Haunted Mansion a woman (rather large at that), her husband and child began entering the walk way. All of a sudden the girl about 7-8 began freaking out, sreaming and crying saying she was too scared. The woman (hugely larger than the child) began spanking the little girl saying that she had done everything she wanted all day and that she was going in whether she liked it or not. It was a terrible scene. One man in front of us did say something but she just continued. They eventually did not get on. I just can't imagine what that woman was thinking. :confused: She could have gone by herself. There was absolutely no wait at all at that time.

Another minor incident was on IASW. Behind us a girl about 8 cried hard thoughout the ride. Her mother did apologize saying she cries every time. It makes her emotional every time for some unknown reason. :confused: It was somewhat annoying though.

thrillme
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
My vote is as soon as you get off the ride stop by the nearest "baby exchange" and trade them in :thedolls:

Just kidding. :D

Just have them close their eyes. If they are real sensitive to loud sounds bring some "ear plugs". It'll mute the sound. If they're old enough to discuss things ask them what scared them.

I don't think there is much you can do about what happens ON a ride. Just hold them tight and keep smiling. Let them see you smiling.

Now as far as getting kids on rides when they're scared to go on them...I have mixed feelings about this. I wouldn't exactly "beat" them into submission but I might be a little "pushy" sometimes. I wittnessed a screaming kid getting on dinosaur. The parents didn't "spank" him or anything but they did put him on crying. He was still crying as the ride started...shortly there after the crying stopped. When the ride ended he was so "excited" he was screaming for Daddy to hurry up so they could go again. They must have rode it about two or three times. If his Dad didn't push...he never would have known how much fun it was.