PDA

View Full Version : January honeymoon at WDW

savafan
08-31-2009, 07:04 PM
My fiancee and I will be heading to Florida for our honeymoon (we'll actually be arriving in Orlando on New Years eve). This will be my 4th trip to WDW, and her first. We're not staying at the resorts, as we found a nearby hotel to save money, and she also wants to see other areas of Orlando (Sea World mostly, and Medieval Times). We'll have 4 days for Disney, deciding to do Sea World on NYE to avoid the crowds at Disney and be able to see as much as we can during our time there.

Do you think it would be necessary to get the park hopper passes, or would 1 day per park be enough? I see where Pleasure Island is no more. Are the 50's diner and Sci-fi Drive-in diner still around? What other nearby attractions should we add to make our honeymoon memorable? We'll be staying at the HoJo in Kissimmee.

savafan
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
I saw in the main site's dining section that the restaurants I asked about are still at DHS! :thumbsup:

SBETigg
08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I normally prefer to hop, but since you're going at a very busy time and staying off-site, you could lose a lot of time to transportation. And if any of the parks close down due to being filled to capacity, hopping around might not be worth your while (though this is a viable argument for hopping, too. If one park is too crowded, you could hop to another). Still, I would perhaps save the money and stick with one park per day, but plan to get to each park early and stay until you've seen it to your satisfaction.

I could make my whole stay at Disney and not leave, so I have no other area recommendations. I would be sure to get in enough Disney time. A dinner at California Grill during the fireworks is very romantic. If you're on a tight budget, you could even stick to drinks and appetizers instead of a full meal. The view is breathtaking. Remember to plan ahead and make your dining reservations as soon as possible. You might also enjoy 'Ohana, Grand Floridian Cafe, or any of the World Showcase restaurants.

savafan
08-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Does the Downtown Disney area remain open after the parks close? I was last there in 1999, and I see a lot has changed.

savafan
08-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Remember to plan ahead and make your dining reservations as soon as possible. You might also enjoy 'Ohana, Grand Floridian Cafe, or any of the World Showcase restaurants.

Apparently now is sooner than possible, as reservations are only being accepted up until November 29 currently

SBETigg
08-31-2009, 10:11 PM
The Downtown Disney area does remain open longer than parks for the most part (though parks will have late hours for the holiday), but the PI clubs, as you've read, are no longer there. Shops, restaurants (some with a little nightlife), and a romantic balloon ride remain.

You really might find that four days is just not enough time and that staying onsite might be worth extra cost, depending on your budget and what deal you currently have. There's so much to see and do. But it's your honeymoon, so you also want to relax and enjoy and not rush through it. Best wishes for a magical vacation and a wonderful life together!

savafan
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
You really might find that four days is just not enough time and that staying onsite might be worth extra cost, depending on your budget and what deal you currently have. There's so much to see and do. But it's your honeymoon, so you also want to relax and enjoy and not rush through it. Best wishes for a magical vacation and a wonderful life together!

We are considering expanding our stay now...

Mushu11756
09-01-2009, 06:11 PM
My wife and I stayed at Port Orleans for our honeymoon and we loved it!:groom: The prices for rooms and Vacation packages should drop sharply in price right after new years day! I would look into it !:wishes:

:congrats:

savafan
09-01-2009, 07:15 PM
The prices for rooms and Vacation packages should drop sharply in price right after new years day! I would look into it !:wishes:

:congrats:

Do you actually have to wait until after New Years Day to book the reduced rates? How much would you say the price decreases?

savafan
09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Okay, thanks to this board, and this thread in particular, we have now extended our Disney stay to 8 days, half on-site and half off-site. :thumbsup:

Are ADR's available without the dining plan, or are those only for those with the dining plan?

savafan
09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Just saw in another thread that the park tickets are on your resort room key. How would this work if:

The first half of our trip we'll be staying off-site, and then switching to the resort on the 5th day, with park hopper passes.

BraddyB
09-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Are you just going to Sea World in Orlando or are you going to Universal too?? Reason why I asked is they have a bus that goes to Sea World for the day. I saw that while we were there. Might be something worth checking into and just staying on property the entire time.

We were there last year for our honeymoon at the Carribean Beach Resort, best of both worlds Disney and Island get away feel.

SBETigg
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Okay, thanks to this board, and this thread in particular, we have now extended our Disney stay to 8 days, half on-site and half off-site. :thumbsup:

Are ADR's available without the dining plan, or are those only for those with the dining plan?

Congratulations on extending!

Yes, ADRs are Advanced Dining Reservations, available for anyone not just dining plan, and you should make them when you can for any table service dining you want. Some are harder to get than others.

savafan
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Are you just going to Sea World in Orlando or are you going to Universal too?? Reason why I asked is they have a bus that goes to Sea World for the day. I saw that while we were there. Might be something worth checking into and just staying on property the entire time.

We are just going to Sea World, as well as Medieval Times, and probably Hard Rock Cafe one night. We budgeted a cheaper hotel before, and then the resort for the second half isn't too expensive and fits into what we can afford, but staying on property the entire trip would be too costly.

Mushu11756
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Congrats! You could probably have them put whatever days you have left on your tickets onto your room keys. They scan your tickets at hotel and put info on your room keys!:thumbsup:

savafan
09-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Congrats! You could probably have them put whatever days you have left on your tickets onto your room keys. They scan your tickets at hotel and put info on your room keys!:thumbsup:

Ah, that makes much more sense! Thanks!

savafan
09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Sorry about so many questions. Even though this will be my 4th trip to WDW, this is the first that I've planned myself, and seeing as how it's kind of a big occasion, I want to make sure everything is right.

Just to clarify, do you get your tickets prior to checking in at the resort and then have them scanned onto your room key? Reason I'm asking is we'll be in the parks for four days before we go to the resort, and if I order everything together as a vacation package, will it be assumed that our four non-resort days will be after our stay at the resort, and then we won't be able to get our tickets until we check in?

Cinderella's mom
09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
First, let me say CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to Intercot!

At the Gaylord Palms, they will be having Ice! About 2 million pounds of it. Depending on where you live, you may not have seen so much carved ice. Ice is an amazing thing to see. It is about 9 degrees and there is a dress code (must wear long pants and closed shoes), but they provide a parka to wear that is included in the price.

Here is a little about it: Fueled by a dose of holiday spirit and tempered by a cool pinch of irony, sunny Orlando is home to one of then nation’s most spectacular (and unusual) art attractions.

Ice is inside a simulated winter environment, where guests are immersed in a whimsical wonderland of larger-than-life, three-dimensional hand-carved ice monuments and scenes, including fantastic frozen creations, slippery ice speed slides, and heart-warming holiday vistas.

This year, ICE! will take guests on a trip to the North Pole. And, tag along on Santa’s journey, beginning with an encounter with Old Man Winter, through an arctic forest, and into the middle of a Christmas Carnival, complete with a life-size carousel! Next, chill-seekers will be able to explore Santa’s ornament room, climb onto his oversized knee (an unusual photo op!), and watch as he and reindeer take flight.

The attraction’s signature scene—a life-size Nativity carved completely of crystal-clear ice—has been described as one of the most breathtaking depictions of the birth of Christ. Dramatic lighting and a stirring narrative track give guests an opportunity to pause and reflect on the story behind the season.

It will run through January 4th I think.

savafan
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
We booked our resort last night. I was trying to push her toward one of the Port Orleans resorts, but she was adamant about wanting Pop Century, because she really loves the 80's and is hoping we get in that building. Oh well, from my perspective, this is mostly about her anyway. :mickey:

SBETigg
09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Oh well, from my perspective, this is mostly about her anyway. :mickey:

That's so sweet! Sounds like you're already married. ;)

savafan
09-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Since we'll be visiting the parks for a few days before we go to the resort, would I be better off purchasing my tickets from Undercover Tourist and then having the extra days added to our room key rather than adding the ticket order to the resort order and then not being able to get the tickets until check-in?