PDA

View Full Version : Daughter marching in Main Street parade

Mendelson
08-31-2009, 10:47 AM
I know she's hardly the first, but we're very excited that the defending Maryland state champion marching band will be marching in a parade in December with our daughter in the piccolo section.

Unfortunately my wife and I won't be able to chaperone, but my daughter is incredibly excited. Although I'm not sure if I'd want to go anyway: the bus (no doubt very noisy) is driving overnight on the way down and the way back and shut-eye will be hard to grab :sheep: . And I know I would in general have difficulty trying to do WDW as I like to do it during the few short days there while still having to do my duty as a chaperone.

My daughter will be the WDW expert among her friends, and she has already started telling them the ins and outs of what they need to do there. Unfortunately for them I don't think the kids will be allowed to take park busses to the parks and will have to all load up on their school busses...which means waiting for about 100 kids to get up, go to the food court, etc. etc. Which means getting to the parks at 10ish, if they're lucky. Plus they have dining plans but no one is considering ADRs yet or anything! :confused: PLUS.... okay, okay...just let it go. :-)

My daughter realizes this won't be the ideal WDW trip, but she's okay with that. The thought of being part of the show and getting to play right on Main Street greatly outweighs that. Anyway, if you happen to be at MK on December 12 and feel like stopping to listen, cheer on the red-head with the piccolo in the red and black marching band!

Mousemates
08-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Hope she has a great time...my daughter's high school band marched in a parade at Epcot a couple years ago and had a great time (they got special t-shirts and a couple other little perks). She was also the Disney expert in her group and was lovingly dubbed Tour Guide Tammy (tammy is not her name) by the little parade of marchers who followed her around.

badkitty
08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Wow! How great for your daughter. I am sure she is going to have a lot of fun!

IamBelle
09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
I hope she has fun!! I will be marching down main street with my high school marching band (bass drum) in April. December must be so nice there, all decorated! Let me know how she likes the trip!

IceRef
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Mendelson:

I agree with the other posters in wishing you daughter the best during her trip. The experience will be all she hopes it will be, with the usual unexpected bumps and turns an episode like this will offer turning into the “remember when stories” we still tell in our family.

Our son was able to march in the parks a number of times as a member of his Drum Corps and even participated in the DCI Honor Corps performance during the Christmas Parade a few years back. Disney does a great job with the perks, and the members should have a fair amount of down time to explore.

I have to sympathize with you on the decision about the bus rides being a challenge. I have spent way to many nights on the road trying to sleep sitting up, and not even going to mention the ability of teenagers to stay awake and chatter the ride away.

Congratulations to her again, and hope she enjoys every moment of the experience.

VolMickey
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Congratulations to her. My wife and I marched together during the WDW Tencennial celebration (many years ago!) and it's a fond memory for both of us.

faline
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Congrats to your daughter!

DVC2004
09-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Wow that is so cool! How exciting. :mickey:

andreallybadeggs
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Congrats to your daughter and she has exactly the right attitude. This is NOT the trip that your family would plan for the group and there will be a lot of hurry-up-and-wait activity but that's OK. None of it will be wasted time since she will be in the company of her fellow bandies and making irreplaceable memories. :mickey: