PDA

View Full Version : Tipping amount for buffets?

pinkxray
08-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Just wondering the appropriate tipping for a buffet such as 1900 park fare or chef mickey's. Is it the same as a normal meal even if you are getting your own food? Thanks.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-28-2009, 09:26 PM
:welcome: to intercot

This topic always brings a lot of different answers, and it really comes down to what makes you comfortable.

I would tip as you do at home, maybe a bit more if the service is really Disney. We tend to tip the same at buffets, as long as our drinks are filled and the plates cleared.

NotaGeek
08-28-2009, 09:47 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT!

Etiquette for tipping at any buffet is 10% - 15% for good service. Of course if you have a group of 6 or more Disney will be adding that 18% tip for you automatically ...

lockedoutlogic
08-28-2009, 11:11 PM

Etiquette for tipping at any buffet is 10% - 15% for good service. Of course if you have a group of 6 or more Disney will be adding that 18% tip for you automatically ...

the breakfast servers at buffets (since nearly all are character) are some of the highest paid "grunts" at WDW for just this reason....

Kathy Jetson
08-29-2009, 12:44 AM
we tip 20% at chef mickeys and everywhere else too.:mickey:

Seasonscraps
08-29-2009, 08:16 AM

Ditto on the Welcome! :mickey:

and the tipping - I keep it about the same for buffets as I do a regular TS meal.

TheRustyScupper
08-29-2009, 08:18 AM
the breakfast servers at buffets (since nearly all are character) are some of the highest paid "grunts" at WDW for just this reason....

1) And, unknown to most guests, the servers already get a guaranteed tip.
2) By contract, they get a guaranteed 6% whether you tip or not.
3) So, an 18% or 20% tip equals 24% and $26%.
4) Many people just do not know how to tip or why.
5) Some over-tip for no good reason, or just to feel important.
6) For what possible reason would someone tip 18%-20% automatically?
7) The standard for good service is still 15%.
8) Of course, the servers like it.
9) Many can make $80,000 or more per year.

PERSONAL RANT: I am sorry folks, but tipping is one of my strong opinions. People over tip, then complain about high WDW prices for hotels, food or park admissions. I travel a lot internationally, and other countries still marvel at, and make snide comments about, how Americans rudely over-tip. Simply because we have no idea why we do things. Some folks blindly tip xx% without even knowing good service from spectacular service. Some even say, "I always tip xx%". Why? Usually it is for no good reason, or just to show off.

Live4WDW
08-30-2009, 09:16 AM
:mickey: DW and I just came back from WDW and had a great time. We had several excellent meals. As far as tipping is concerned to me, strictly my opinion of course it is a personal choice and amount given warranted by the service I receive. I have been a server before years ago, and always strived to give the best possible service. The personal attention we received by servers at Disney, was by far some of the best. Yes it was suggested on all of my receipts @ 18% or 20%. I tipped most of them @ 20% because I was fascinated with the service and suggestions they provided for all our dining experiences. :mickey:

caryrae
08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
I started wondering why we tip based on price. It wouldn't matter if we bought a $10 burger or a $20 steak the waiter/waitress brings either one out the same way. Better way to look at it is you can choose from 2 different steak dinners one is $20 and one is $25 and the only difference is the cut of meat. So why pay more tip for the $25 dinner when it is prepared and served the same way? Hope you get what I mean. Just because one meal may cost more why do we need to tip more for that meal.

PiratesCove
08-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I tip around 20% IF the service is great. I tip very little for bad service! Just my thoughts....

SurferStitch
08-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I don' tip generously to show off, or because I'm uneducated in the tipping practice, or so I can brag about it to others.

I have several friends who are servers at decent restaurants, and they don't begin to make a comfortable living at it. While a small number of guests tip generously, there are many, many more who do not. They also have to share their tips with the bus people, and pay tax on what's left, too. That really takes away from their total tip.

We tip 20% at restaurants, buffet or not. We sometimes tip more if the service was truly incredible. The few extra bucks it costs us at a buffet to tip 20% instead of 15% is nothing. We only do 3 buffets or so per trip, so the extra $10-$15 for the days we are there doesn't break the bank. A standard rate, though, is 10-15%.

I don't do it to make myself feel better, or to look good, or to brag. I do it because I like to, and I truly appreciate that someone is doing a service for me. That's it.

I really don't like when those of us who do tip more at the buffets (or regular TS meals for that matter) are made to feel like we are arrogant or just dumb for doing it here.

Live4WDW
08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I don' tip generously to show off, or because I'm uneducated in the tipping practice, or so I can brag about it to others.

I have several friends who are servers at decent restaurants, and they don't begin to make a comfortable living at it. While a small number of guests tip generously, there are many, many more who do not. They also have to share their tips with the bus people, and pay tax on what's left, too. That really takes away from their total tip.

We tip 20% at restaurants, buffet or not. We sometimes tip more if the service was truly incredible. The few extra bucks it costs us at a buffet to tip 20% instead of 15% is nothing. We only do 3 buffets or so per trip, so the extra $10-$15 for the days we are there doesn't break the bank. A standard rate, though, is 10-15%.

I don't do it to make myself feel better, or to look good, or to brag. I do it because I like to, and I truly appreciate that someone is doing a service for me. That's it.

I really don't like when those of us who do tip more at the buffets (or regular TS meals for that matter) are made to feel like we are arrogant or just dumb for doing it here. here, here. Thank you. I agree totally. It was a pleasure to have such excellent service, and as it was such it was rewarded by my personal choice, not to brag, or look important, or impress someone. Thanks for your input.

Seasonscraps
08-30-2009, 12:06 PM
ITA with SurferStitch! I tip the same at buffets as I do at regular TS places because I get so much more for less money. I can have a salad, entree & dessert - and a wide variety of them. I am not limited to just the chicken entree. And to be honest, between refills and clearing plates, they are at my table about the same number of times as a standard TS. The extra 3-5% amounts to a few dollars per meal which I feel I get back since the meal was not that expensive for the variety I emjoyed. Of course, if the service is terrible it is reflected in the tip.

I started wondering why we tip based on price. It wouldn't matter if we bought a $10 burger or a $20 steak the waiter/waitress brings either one out the same way. Better way to look at it is you can choose from 2 different steak dinners one is $20 and one is $25 and the only difference is the cut of meat. So why pay more tip for the $25 dinner when it is prepared and served the same way? Hope you get what I mean. Just because one meal may cost more why do we need to tip more for that meal.

It's been my experience, the level of service increases at more expensive restaurants. I can't really compare the service between a place like Beaches & Cream to say Yachtsman Steakhouse and that comes with a price. Just like a bed is a bed but one at POP century costs less then one at the Polynesian - the Poly has other ammenities that warrants the higher cost.