PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom during EMH evenings?

Neo Fender
08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Opinions please from those that have experienced it.

We’ve only been to AK twice (2001 & 2006) and we’re usually done by mid-to-late afternoon. I would expect that most of the animals are too. MK, Epcot and DS all take on their own personality at night. Just wondering if AK is different enough to make it worth contending with the EMH crowd (early November) or should we plan for something else?

Thanks.

buzznwoodysmom
08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I am interested in any first hand experience with that as well. We normally get there at park opening and then are done by early afternoon. We are thinking of sleeping in, having a lunch ADR some place and then arriving at AK around the time we normally leave. I am hoping that many, many people do what we've always done and the park won't be as crowded in the late afternoon. Plus...I've read before that the park is really beautiful after dark.

Strmchsr
08-28-2009, 02:42 PM
I've stayed for the AK EMH a couple of times and it is really pretty at night. Didn't go on the safari (I don't think it runs in the evening, actually), but it seems the AK EMH isn't really popular because even though the park had been quite crowded during the day it was almost like having it to ourselves in the evening. I think we walked on EE and Dinosaur multiple times. There's not a ton to do, which is why I think most people leave, but it's still a fun evening.

Aggie97
08-28-2009, 03:18 PM
We have done AK evening EMH several times and have always enjoyed them.

We generally arrive at the park around lunchtime and immediately grab FPs for the Safari. We eat a CS lunch. We have plenty of time to watch the Lion King and Nemo shows, ride the Safari, and do one or two walkthrough animal attractions before park closing.

We have found that the Safari, as well as the other attractions featuring live animals, do not operate during EMH. Also, the live shows do not extend into the evening much, if at all. Our experiences range from late October to early February, so I'm not sure if this differs at other times of year.

We use the EMH time to ride Dinosaur and Everest repeatedly, with little to no wait. We've ridden Everest until our brains were completely rattled. :crazy: And the evening view from the front car is just gorgeous!

Our last couple visits, we stopped at Guest Relations and asked for an EMH Times Guide (so that we could know the show times, if any).

Hope you have fun! :mickey:

DisneyMP3Maker
08-28-2009, 03:37 PM
We've stayed for AK EMH the last 2 visits and enjoyed them each time. Usually the safari is done before the regular park closing, so be sure get over there before then. Last time we were able to watch the Finding Nemo musical show, ride Dinosaur, ITTBAB show, and I even believe they show the Lion King show once. And I agree that the park is beautiful at night. I want to ride EE this time when it's twilight.

So usually the park closes at 5pm and we stay until 7-7:30.

joelkfla
08-29-2009, 03:16 AM
FOTLK is the only show scheduled during evening EMH. But sometimes a performance of Finding Nemo starts 15 or 30 minutes before closing, so it could run into the EMH time.

I, too, love DAK after dark. The creative lighting and the soft, exotic music make for a very special atmosphere.

DizneyRox
08-29-2009, 09:33 AM
The park is beautiful at night, but there's not a ton to do like at the other parks. If you haven't seen it at night, I would suggest saving a day starting a little after lunch.

I've bene kicking myself as previous trips we seemed to make plans for the only night during the week AK does an EMH. We finally caught it on our last trip and it was well worth the wait.

It's a different animal at dark, but like others have said, a lot of the rides/attractions are closed. It's mostly atmosphere you're going to see.

buzznwoodysmom
08-29-2009, 10:40 AM
The park is beautiful at night, but there's not a ton to do like at the other parks. If you haven't seen it at night, I would suggest saving a day starting a little after lunch.

I've bene kicking myself as previous trips we seemed to make plans for the only night during the week AK does an EMH. We finally caught it on our last trip and it was well worth the wait.

It's a different animal at dark, but like others have said, a lot of the rides/attractions are closed. It's mostly atmosphere you're going to see.

Our plan is to have lunch at T-Rex at DTD, our ADR is at 11am. Then head to AK from there, staying for EMH and to see the park at night. Do you think we'll be able to see everything that won't be open for EMH, like the Safari, FOTLK, before the official park closing. Then leaveing the attractions like EE, Dinosaur, ITTBAB for EMH. Do you think this would work and we'd still be able to see and do most of what AK has to offer? We never go on any of the trails and we don't go to Rafiki's anymore.

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
08-29-2009, 01:54 PM
:mickey: Our family loves AK during EMH. As mentioned anything involving the live animals is closed, however there is something very beautiful about AK after dark. We do Bugs Life, Dinosaur, there is a show of Lion King, Everest, and Primevil Whirl, all with little or no waits. Last April my DD and DGD rode Triceretops Spin over and over with no wait at all - DGD loves that ride and it is often lined up during the day.

Giggy
08-30-2009, 03:30 PM
We stay offsite so have never done any EMHs, however there is a reason animal attractions are closed during EMH. The animals are not in the park outside of park hours so are moved with a fairly strict timetable. The time away from the park gives them a greater opportunity to relax. A change in this timetable is very stressful for most wild animals and as with people; stress can be very bad for an animals health.

MinnieMommie
08-30-2009, 04:26 PM
We always visit AK as soon as the park opens. It has always been a first thing in the morning park visit for us. You have all made the evening sound enticing. It sounds as if AL looks beautiful at night and I bet the view from the top of EE is amazing. I am going to try to take both a first thing in the morning and an evening EMH visit on my next trip. Do any of you know if Flights of Wonder operates after dark? :mickey:

joelkfla
08-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Do any of you know if Flights of Wonder operates after dark? :mickey:
No, FOW generally has the earliest last showing of the 3 shows at DAK. It's usually at 3 p.m. in the off-season. (There was a late showing last week due to the park hours mix-up.)

#1donaldfan
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
.... I love AK at night....

you gotta do KRR at least once at night ....the fog rolls in, it's dark, the sounds the water....it's too fun !!!:thumbsup:

prttynpnk
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
How late are the extra magic hours?

Neo Fender
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
EMH evening hours are 3 hours later than the park's normal closing time.

How late are the extra magic hours?

Running_Bell
09-01-2009, 12:10 PM
We especially love AK during magic hours.... especially at the time of year you are going. After almost everyride ended, no one was in line so the cast members would ask if we wanted to ride again. We always said yes.