PDA

View Full Version : free ice water in the parks?

princessat37
08-28-2009, 12:38 PM
someone told my mom that you can get free ice water in the parks and therefore she should only bring flavor packets. i can't imagine this to be the case. i've read that you can get free ice but i'm not even sure of the specifics of that.
can anyone clear this up for us? :balloon:

Scott C
08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
We did this quite a bit in July -- we received a few dirty looks and such -- but we did receive a free cup of ice water when requested.

Thanks
Scott C

cajunprincess
08-28-2009, 01:36 PM
We, too, have done this in the past. We actually found out by accident that you can do that. We asked to purchase a cup of ice, and we were told that Ice water was free!

Goes4FastPass
08-28-2009, 02:14 PM
It's a good thing for WDW parks to do. The last thing you want is dehydrated guests falling out.

disneymom15
08-28-2009, 02:15 PM
We've done this many, many times. Saves alot of $$. Just ask at the registers at counter service for a cup of ice water.

MarkC
08-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Also done this many times, especially during the summer heat. I can't even recall anyone giving me a dirty look about it.

One thing to remember-- make sure to specifically ask for a cup of ice water. Just say "water" and you may find a $3 bottle of water on your tray. Mark

MinnieMommie
08-28-2009, 02:31 PM
This is a perk which I think most people don't know about. Important information to share. No only is it cost saving but goes a long way to help prevent dehydration. :mickey:

seanyred
08-28-2009, 02:58 PM
We also use this all the time. Its not a big deal to ask...worst case scenario they say no...

phillydan
08-28-2009, 03:24 PM
Not only did we get free ice water on our trip this month, several of the counter service locations had them already prepared on a tray by the pickup window. No dirty looks either!

Good tip from the previous poster - ask for a cup of ice water or tap water or else you will get the bottled water for $$$.

NewDVCowner
08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Disneyland does this, too and when I was there in July we'd get an extra glass if ice water and dump it in the squirty fan so we had nice cold water spraying on us.

At Disneyland, at least, they would only give you the tiny cups with ice water so we generally asked for two per person at a time because we'd down the first one very, very quickly.

Aryn

Soccermom12
08-28-2009, 04:27 PM
We just got back a few days ago and it was really hot. We brought our sport water bottles from home and refilled them everytime we ate at a counter service. At most of the counter service resturants we went to, they gave you cups for your soft drinks and you filled them yourselves with whatever soda you wanted. When we were done with our soda we would fill the cups with ice water and pour them into our water bottles. The soda machines had a water dispenser (some had one designated for water, others were a small lever you had to push on the lemonade or powerade type of drink). Not only did it save us money....but a whole lot of calories too! There is nothing better on a hot day than an ice cold cup of water!

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Aren't places like Disney required by law to provide free ice water on request?

ransam
08-29-2009, 01:08 AM
just on e more perk disney has over other amusement parks.

masondoggy
08-29-2009, 09:22 AM

Cedar Point gives free ice water too. Thats all my family drinks all day when we go. It's cheaper and easier than carrying bottled water around.....and their water is soooooo good.

I actually think it is the law that they have to give ice water. I think I've heard that before. Either way, I'm glad they do. Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.

crltkcagle
08-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I wish I would have known about this one! Thanks for sharing!

MNNHFLTX
08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Aren't places like Disney required by law to provide free ice water on request?I don't think any public venue is required to provide free ice water in Florida, or any other state that I've lived in. After all, there are drinking fountains available at Disney World also. But as someone mentioned previously, it makes good sense to provide it, especially on those hot summer days.

Scott C
08-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Cedar Point gives free ice water too. Thats all my family drinks all day when we go. It's cheaper and easier than carrying bottled water around.....and their water is soooooo good.

I actually think it is the law that they have to give ice water. I think I've heard that before. Either way, I'm glad they do. Bottled water is ridiculously expensive.

Our local park, Holiday World, has free soft drinks.

Thanks
Scott C

princessat37
08-29-2009, 01:30 PM
thanks everyone!
one more question, is the ice water served in a paper cup w/ lid and straw? i know many theme parks don't provide lids and straws. i might want to refill my own water bottle instead of walk around w/ an open cup, kwim?

DisneyFanaticDargon
08-29-2009, 06:33 PM

Pretty much any amusement park will give you free ice water upon request. I have yet to go to one that hasn't, and I've been to quite a few.

Snow's Mom
08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Princess---it depends on the counter service. We got nice big cups with straws in some places, and little tiny ones without lids in others. Even when buying a meal.