PDA

View Full Version : BLT Skyway Bridge Question

diz_girl
08-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Those of you who have been to BLT can help me out on this one.

From pictures that I've seen, the Skyway Bridge appears to have glass on the Northwest side, but is open on the Southeast side. Is this the case? Or is it open on both sides or completely enclosed?

If there is glass only on the Northwest side, why is that? Is it because the thunderstorms tend to travel from Northwest to Southeast and the Northwest side needs to be more protected than the other side?

Thanks in advance.

lockedoutlogic
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Just a guess on my part....

But i would bet the ranch that the bridge is enclosed - period.

It's disney....they have a legal department...and the bridge is 50 feet above the concrete below....

...you do the math:mickey:

seanyred
08-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Just a guess on my part....

But i would bet the ranch that the bridge is enclosed - period.

It's disney....they have a legal department...and the bridge is 50 feet above the concrete below....

...you do the math:mickey:

Yeah...but the Top of the World Lounge has an outdoor balcony. So I guess it is how high the walls of the bridge are. And in the Disney Files Magazine the bridge looks like open air.

lockedoutlogic
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah...but the Top of the World Lounge has an outdoor balcony. So I guess it is how high the walls of the bridge are. And in the Disney Files Magazine the bridge looks like open air.

Difference on the Top of the world lounge being that 1. It's for Adults 2. It's probably 75 feet from the edge of the building like the observation deck at the california grill

It would be nice if they kept the bridge open...but i'd be surprised if that be the case

MidnTPK
08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Here's a Q&A (from another Disney fan website) from somebody who has actually stayed at the BLT.

Q. Does the Skyway Bridge have glass to protect you from the wind and rain?
A. No. One small section of the walkway has frosted glass panels, but this is to shield your view of the loading dock below

Q. Can we watch the fireworks from the Skyway Bridge?
A. Yes, and the music is played in this area.

DVC Mike
08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Here's a Q&A (from another Disney fan website) from somebody who has actually stayed at the BLT.

Q. Does the Skyway Bridge have glass to protect you from the wind and rain?
A. No. One small section of the walkway has frosted glass panels, but this is to shield your view of the loading dock below

Q. Can we watch the fireworks from the Skyway Bridge?
A. Yes, and the music is played in this area.

Yes, I've been to BLT and the information above is accurate.

lockedoutlogic
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Yes, I've been to BLT and the information above is accurate.

VERRRYYYY INNNNNTERRRRESTING

Ian
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they wouldn't have enclosed the bridge in a location where A. it rains virtually every day B. it's HOT and C. you're suspended 50 feet above the ground.

That's near inexplicable ... :confused:

lockedoutlogic
08-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I can't, for the life of me, figure out why they wouldn't have enclosed the bridge in a location where A. it rains virtually every day B. it's HOT and C. you're suspended 50 feet above the ground.

That's near inexplicable ... :confused:

i wonder that myself.....and it's a tad windy as well

not only that....but when it pours....the lemmings look for food and moichendise....

wetting the lemmings will prevent them from getting to it:mickey:

diz_girl
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

chefmickey3
08-29-2009, 06:07 PM
We were at BLT for one of the tours for DVC members. The CM explained that it is open because of the threat of hurricanes and really strong winds - glass would not withstand the winds. It rained really hard when we were there, and it was wet in the bridge area. The worst part was on the BLT side the floor is brand new really slippery tile! People were slipping left and right until a CM put down a piece of carpet. I understand the open walkway (actually prefer it) but don't understand slippery tile!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Very interesting. I was super-surprised to see the pictures of the open bridge.

I wouldn't want to be walking on it much of the time, when raining it would be slippery and wet, the bugs would collect around it at night and it would be HOT in the summer...ick!

AuntLaura
08-30-2009, 12:35 PM
We were there for a week and used the walkway regularly. Yes, the temperature is hot outside, but no matter where you are at Disney in the summer, unless you spend your entire day in your room, you have to be prepared for the heat. Ditto for the rain. We didn't experience a lot of rain, but if the floors are slippery, I would expect Disney will figure that out and adapt. The walkway is very convenient and it's much better than having to go down to the first floor of BLT, outside and walking around to the front or back of the Contemporary and having to take the escalators up to the 4th floor! Talk about hot and getting wet.

MinnieMommie
08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
We were at BLT for one of the tours for DVC members. The CM explained that it is open because of the threat of hurricanes and really strong winds - glass would not withstand the winds. It rained really hard when we were there, and it was wet in the bridge area. The worst part was on the BLT side the floor is brand new really slippery tile! People were slipping left and right until a CM put down a piece of carpet. I understand the open walkway (actually prefer it) but don't understand slippery tile!

I knew that the walkway was open except for the section which blocks the view of the loading dock but I did not understand the reason the rest was left open. This makes sense. I'm sure now that the slippery tile issue has been identified they will do something to remedy that. Thanks for sharing this. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
08-31-2009, 12:10 AM
Would the hurricane force winds really damage a closed walkway??? Would it really rip it apart??? As for the glass, hasn't Disney heard of Plexiglas, or the bullet proof glass banks put their tellers behind??? They are clear and strong...

big blue and hairy
08-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Would the hurricane force winds really damage a closed walkway??? Would it really rip it apart??? As for the glass, hasn't Disney heard of Plexiglas, or the bullet proof glass banks put their tellers behind??? They are clear and strong...Although it would most likely withstand the winds, the reason it is open seems clear to me. It's not so much that the wondows would break,it's that blocking the wind would add stress to the bridge. Open sides allow the wind to go right through, thus, it would be less likely to damage the bridge.

:sulley: