PDA

View Full Version : Teachers & Bad Economy

IloveDisney71
08-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I was just curious how other teachers are being negatively impacted by the current economy. In my school system and the state of AL, we have lost every cent of our state funding for our classrooms. We went from $525 two years ago to $0! We have lost cafeteria workers, custodians, a bus driver, and 4 teachers. Our rooms used to be cleaned daily and now are cleaned only twice a week. We were told not to use our workbooks because they wouldn't be replaced next year. They cut tons of non-tenured teachers this year and are saying we may possibly be losing tenured teachers this next year. They are encouraging older teachers to retire. I never thought I'd see the day that something like this would happen. Thankfully we have a wonderful PTA and they are providing some funds for classroom materials. We are very blessed that our class sizes are still low because our zone hasn't had a growth in population. Other schools in our area have way too many students in a classroom. I feel for those teachers. :(

mickeys_princess_mom
08-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow--that sounds pretty rough! The cutbacks on cleaning are a shock, and losing staff...
We haven't gone through these things yet...As far as funding for class supplies, that's something we never count on. Some years we get a little, some nothing. This year we got $150, and that's the most we ever ususally do get.
They're still spending tons of money on technology, buying smartboards, six computers per room, Infocus projectors, etc. We hear from them that sales taxes in our parish are low, but we just opened several new stores in a mall that are doing well...? They're also hiring Curriculum Coaches, and Mentors.....Who knows what the future will bring? I feel for ya'll.

BigRedDad
08-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Not any different in NC. My wife is a teacher and all spending is being cut. Non-essential staff are being cut drastically (teacher assistants, video/audio staff, secretaries, deans, assistant principals). They are increasing class sizes by 3-5 students in order to eliminate 10-20% of the teachers.

In a country wear every government document needs to be written at or below an 8th grade reading level is ridiculous. The government needs to stop giving handouts and require a child to be educated. Forget No Child Left Behind. The government needs to start imposing parental penalties for the failure of their children. It is not the teacher's fault that children do not and cannot learn.

I feel for you. This is an issue that will be felt for generations. The State governments are going to create an entirely new social class out of the decisions they have made this year. There will be the upper class as always, a narrowing middle class, a lower class, and a soon to be near useless class.

tink2006
08-27-2009, 08:18 AM
I am not a teacher just a concerned parent in the Midwest. Our school sysytem has received some stimulus money that will last for two years. The extra money simply buys some time. New teachers, classroom funding etc have all been eliminated. Older teachers are encouraged to retire and are either not replaced or replaced with lower wages. The "no child left behind" has really put some constraints on how/what is offered. It is impossible to be all things to all people, especially when you do not have the funds. We seem to forget that one of the most important things we leave our children is education.

We do have one great advantage in our community. We are in a small college town. I do not know what we would do without the help of the university. For example, my son (a junior) is taking an advanced chemistry class that is offered by a university professor - FOR FREE. He is giving his time and knowlege simply because he loves chemistry. There are only eight kids in the class - what an incredible opportunity!

Kenny1113
08-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Yup, having the same problem here in S FL.I am not a teacher, but my kids are in school, my mom and many friends are teachers. It is really sad. :( I don't know if other schools do this, but we have to provide copy paper! My mom has had to purchase EVERYthing in her classroom , including a classroom library!

I agree with what another poster said about education being the best gift that we can give our kids. I hope something changes soon!!

Ian
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
In a country where every government document needs to be written at or below an 8th grade reading level is ridiculous. The government needs to stop giving handouts and require a child to be educated. Forget No Child Left Behind. The government needs to start imposing parental penalties for the failure of their children. It is not the teacher's fault that children do not and cannot learn.Well ... I can't say I agree with your last sentiment. I mean, you're saying that teachers have no accountability for producing results among the students they educate? No, I definitely can't agree with that at all.

BUT ... that being said, I agree with the overall sentiment of what you're saying. The state of parenting in the United States is just at an all time low. Parents have to get involved with their children's educations and be responsible for their performance. I would wholeheartedly support laws that enforce penalties on the parents for the failures of the kids. As far as I'm concerned, until your child is 18 (or legally emancipated) he or she is completely your responsibility.

On the school budget subject ... and I know this won't be too popular ... I think schools need to stop wasting money on so many non-core programs. If schools would focus just on what they should be teaching kids (math, reading, science, computer use, etc.) there would be a lot more money available and you would soak up less resources.

Also ... this is a fundamental problem with relying on an unpredictable tax base to fund education. If all schools were private endeavors, you'd never run out of money because everyone would pay tuition to attend.

Septbride2002
08-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Ian - I get what your saying but what about those that could not afford for their students to attend? Do those children not have the right to an education because they were saddled with parents who didn't have the income?

I have 2 friends who are teachers, who's parents are also teachers - they said the biggest issue with education today is that they don't let teachers TEACH - everything has become very strict, there is no room for creative thought.

I disagree with getting rid of anything but core programs - for someone like me who was more creative rather then analytical - creative classes are what got me through. In fact I wouldn't be the person I am today without the displine that band taught me, the goal setting that journalism taught me, the out of the box thinking that creative writing taught me. My husband is the same way - photography, art, mechanical design - were all part of his curriculum. We received C's and D's in things like math, science, and history.

However we are proud to say we are fully functioning adults with full time jobs that pay well. :D

~Amanda

Ian
08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, but see Amanda ... if we had a school system that allowed choice it wouldn't matter. If you were creatively focused and knew that was your forte you would just go to a school that had that as it's focus.

Part of the problem is we're saddled with a public school system that needs to be everything to everyone. If you had individually focused schools, selected personally by the students and their parents, that wouldn't be an issue.

In regards to low income families, absolutely they'd still have access ... it would just come in the form of funding from either state or local governments.

If you think about it, this would cost far less than the money they have to pump into schools today because it would only go to low income families. Also, for most people, private school tuition would probably cost significantly less than what they pay annually in taxes.

Most people forget how much public schools really cost because it's "hidden."

PirateLover
08-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I work in a Catholic School and we're definitely feeling the pinch- Enrollment is dropping because parents can't afford it, we as teachers pay a lot out of pocket for resources and supplies. I was actually let go and then re-hired at the end of last year because of the budget issues... We get some state funding and we were informed that because of the state budget crisis we won't be getting some of our books until October at the earliest. It's not a pretty scene.

mdhiggin
08-27-2009, 05:23 PM
My kids' school had a 3 day furlough (no pay). Library budget was cut by 2/3. Art was cut completely. Classes with parapros are not allowed to have substitutes for the parapros now.

Hammer
08-27-2009, 11:01 PM
We are actually pretty lucky around here, by comparison to other areas, though obviously things aren't as good as they used to be. My mother, who taught both in NJ and Florida, says the resources available to her here were far superior to what she had in Florida. Mom, now retired in Florida, gets together with her college girlfriends who also were teachers and the compare experiences. They are jealous of how much my Mom had at her disposal.

Yeah, but see Amanda ... if we had a school system that allowed choice it wouldn't matter. If you were creatively focused and knew that was your forte you would just go to a school that had that as it's focus.

Why should kids have to have one or the other? A truly well rounded education provides children with the ability to develop analytical and creative thinking.

In regards to low income families, absolutely they'd still have access ... it would just come in the form of funding from either state or local governments.

But wouldn't the educational opportunities for low income families by nature still be inferior to their wealthier counterparts, just like now?

However we are proud to say we are fully functioning adults with full time jobs that pay well. :D

Amanda, while I was an A-B student in all subjects, I enjoyed English and History more than Calculus and Chemistry. Went on to get a degree in Economics and American Studies (concentrating on History and Art History). I'm also a fully functioning adult with a good paying job.

Septbride2002
08-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Amanda, while I was an A-B student in all subjects, I enjoyed English and History more than Calculus and Chemistry. Went on to get a degree in Economics and American Studies (concentrating on History and Art History). I'm also a fully functioning adult with a good paying job.

Funny how that works isn't it? If you had asked me in high school if I would ever have a job doing anything with Math - I would had laughed in your face. Yet here I am 8 years in mortgage and financial consulting. I do put together one heck of a creative proposal though. :) My husband who struggled more in high school then I did ended up in CADD program after school - and is now an Electrical Designer.

The creative stuff I did certainly helped keep my GPA up so that college was possible. And it really did teach me more then meets the eye. However I'm still grateful for the hours I struggled in Algebra, Calc, and History.

Getting back to topic - I just don't see how abolishing the public system and doing a pay as you go program would be beneficial. This is something I've done much research on though. I know my daughter will be attending public school because the private schools in our area are for a more elite class then we are.

~Amanda

Disney Doll
08-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't think the issue is so much about wasting money, but about the way our schools are funded. In my state schools are funded from property tax so the schools in the nicer ares with the nicer homes collect more money. Also, the parents in the nicer areas have more disposable income and can fund raise like nobody's business.

When I taught in a nice suburban area the PTA paid for a new gymnasium with all the bells and whistles. We never wanted for anything. When I taught in a low income urban area I paid for everything myself even copies and pencils. The money should be pooled and evenly distributed to all public schools in my opinion because the current system seriously favors the affluent.

I have to agree that parents make all the difference. I have taught in low income areas with no resources except eager parents who valued education and that really does make all the difference. Sadly, I didn't find that at every school and I don't think it's the norm.

Ian
08-28-2009, 01:23 PM
The money should be pooled and evenly distributed to all public schools in my opinion because the current system seriously favors the affluent.That's ridiculous, though. No one would go for that. Why would I want my tax dollars to go to educate someone else's kids while my own children's education suffered as their funds were sent to another school system? :confused:

Georgesgirl1
08-28-2009, 06:46 PM
In Georgia, every teacher statewide was furloughed 3 days. Also funding was cut in some areas. Classes are a little bigger this year. Luckily, the area I teach in hasn't been affected too much, but I fear if the economy doesn't pick up we may feel it next year.

As for how schools should be funded, I know there has to be a better way, but I don't know what that would be.

Georgesgirl1
08-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Also, spending more tax dollars does not equal a better education. Atlanta Public Schools spend more money per student than any other system in Georgia and they have some of the lowest test scores.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
I have taught in low income areas with no resources except eager parents who valued education and that really does make all the difference.

My experience is that the value placed on education by the parents definitely correlates to the probability of success.
Just found out yesterday where the money's coming from for all the extra unusual positions appearing on campus, and the new technology purchases--stimulus money.
In my opinion, the best thing they could have spent it on would have been, and always will be, more teachers to create smaller classes. I guess in this case the money was a temporary thing though, so....